It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Neurontin- has it made anyone's nerve pain worse???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-23-2004, 05:32 PM   #1
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Neurontin- has it made anyone's nerve pain worse???

Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't written much, but not too much new to write. I do still lurk though! Regarding my question. I have been on N for 2 weeks. First week, 1 pill a day, this week 2 a day, and tomarrow I start 3 a day (300 mg each). Although the side effects for me have been minimal, I am having worse nerve pain than before. Just wondering if that has ever happened to anyone else? The pain starts earlier than normal (used to start hurting afternoon, now at 9:00 or 10:00 AM) and I'm even getting some pain behind my leg, which I haven't had since my 3rd ESI over a year ago. It's not bad or anything, but it's just there. And my foot pain is the same pain sometimes, but sometimes it's a stabbing pain as opposed to the burning pain I am used to. I'm not going to quit the treatment until I'm on the full dose for a couple weeks, and then not till I speak with my doctor. I doubt it's doing any damage, but it's just wierd. You never know if a drug may take a while to start working. Anyway, I'm rambling now. If anyone can tell me of their experiences with this drug for nerve pain, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User
    Re: Neurontin- has it made anyone's nerve pain worse???

No, that was not the case w/ me. So I hope I'm not wasting your time by writing. I was on the same 'upgrade' schedule as you, and got up to 2100mg w/ no relief. But, never a worsening in pain. That's just strange. I can tell you, though, that I quit w/out lowering the same way I went up. I pretty much quit abruptly, and became very, very depressed for a couple of days. Now that I'm hurt and out of work, the tv's on during the day some. You know those class action lawsuits they advertise for during the day, the "Call us if..." ones?? I saw a, "Call this 1-800# if you were on Neurontin, and tried to commit suicide!" So, tier down the way you tiered up! I really wouldn't be quick to blame this on the Neurontin, though, and I really hope it helps w/ your pain in the long run. Good luck!!!!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:16 PM   #3
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Diff people need diff meds.
    some people are helped by pill A and others only by pill B.
    Some people need a combination of C & D.
    Each pill masks only a specific type of pain.

My PN pain never started at a certain time of day..once it reared it's ugly head it just stayed 24/7. I have Sensory Axonal pheripherial Neuropathy of unknown cause.

Don't go off any pill without at least calling your Dr FIRST.
    I fully agree that if you must go off any anticonvulsant (like Neurontin) then do it at a graduale step-down rate and never simply suddenly quit. Someone who never had a seizure in thier life can actually have one by abruptly going off! Yes the depression/mood problem is not just theory its a big problem so do not abruptly stop your pills without discussing it with your Dr and/or your Pharmacy.

Neurontin basically works for me.
    If you have just started perhaps it will take a while for the med to build up enough in your system to mask the pain properly.

When I first got PN in 1993..it was 4 painful months trying to find out what the heck was wrong. Once decided then the Dr gave me Tegretol (sp) It helped right away to a degree (I was thankful at the time for any relief at all) but It took months for it have a 24/7 mostly full pain masking effect on me.

I took it for years but after many years it began to make me too sleepy so we changed to Neurontin. A graduale step-down from Tegretol and gradual step up to Neurontin.

Tegretol actully masked more symptoms for me than Neurontin does but the Neurontin seems to allow me more voluntary muscle control in the PN areas than the Tegretol did. I am definately more awake with Neurontin. Neurontin works very well to CONSTANTLY mask my burning electrical pain, the hot/cold/icy burning and the majority but not all of the pins & needles. Even the numb areas don't seem quite as dead. 4 hours after taking the pills the pins & needles get worse and the icy/hot/cold starts making itself vaugely known so I KNOW it's time for the pill. Luckily I never had any stabbing pain to deal with.

I currently only take a total of 800 mg's per day (200 mg x 4 times a day). My Dr was kind enough to order the perscription in 100mg pills (Not 300) so that I could stay start at 100 x 4 per day and later goto 200 x 4 per day. If I am not being very active I find I can manage on only 600 a day. (200 x 3)

Last edited by snowmelts; 01-23-2004 at 09:21 PM.

Old 01-25-2004, 12:54 PM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[B][CENTER]Hello Daubie,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]Sure am glad to hear from you again.. But I wish that I were hearing some better news from you. Your pain increase while taking Neurontin does sound a bit strange. Are you sure that you haven't done anything else that could have set off more nerve pain, as I have never heard of an increase while taking this med. Although, I sure haven't heard it all, and you should always discuss any new symptoms with your doctor when starting a new medication. I did take Neurontin for several months but it did not help me, but this med has helped many. I now take Topamax and still have nerve pain but after my most recent test results I understand why. Sorry that I haven't really helped you with your question but I sure do hope that you feel better. And please stop by and ramble some more.....lol[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B]

Old 01-25-2004, 02:57 PM   #5
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User

Hello Amy, Snowmelts, and of course, my friend Tomarrow! Thank you all for your replys. I started taking the 3rd pill yesterday. I have been noticing less of the pain lately. The shooting leg pain hasn't happened in a couple days (whew!). I do still get the foot pain earlier, but I am noticing that I don't get it as often lately.
    ~Amy, I did ask for all experiences and I wanted good and bad. I am sorry this did not help you, have you found something else to help with the pain? And I will definately follow doctors orders if I quit the med. Thanks for the advice!
    ~Snowmelts, you are absolutely right about different things working for diff. people. The ESI series I went thru over a year ago gave me sooo much relief yet so many people find they are a waste of time! Your story is very encouraging for me. Although I count myself lucky that my pain is not uncontrollable, it can certainly be very annoying. I'm glad you have found relief in N. It only made me tired the first few days, and then I was alright. However, I do notice a lot of short term memory loss! I'll be right in the middle of a sentence and forget what I'm saying! Hope that goes away after awhile. As I said, I think some things are better. Especially the numbness. My foot definately doesn't feel as numb. And the pain is happening less often, so, I am a little hopeful. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with me.
    ~Tomarrow, how are you, my friend? What did you mean when you said "after my most recent test results I understand why"? I must have missed that post. I usually only look at the title and who started the posts, so I may have missed it. What have you learned? How is your edema, and how is your back? I think of you often. No, I didn't do anything new to bring on the pain. I really think it was the N. I am hopeful though. Well, you know me, I am always the optimist! I have to have another EMG on March 8. Yuck! Oh, guess where I'm going on vacation starting Feb 19th???? HAWAII!!!!! I am sooo excited! 2 Weeks!!! Please update me on you. And take care of yourself. ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 01-25-2004, 05:17 PM   #6
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][B][CENTER]Hello Daubie,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I am happy to hear that you are starting to get some pain relief. Looks as if the Neurontin may help you after all.... I still have the edema but not as bad, and that's another long story.... I did start a thread yesterday with my MRI results....

Well, some of us sure do know how to still have fun... The last time we spoke you had also gone on vacation. Wow, Hawaii...... You will definitely have to come back and share some story's with us after this vacation. I am sure this is the place to forget about your pain. I am truly happy for you.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-26-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
    dexter24

dexter24 HB User

It may just be a coincidence, but after taking Neurontin my back and sciatic pain is all but gone--I'm back at the gym everyday. I took my last pill on Dec. 24 and have not felt pain since--a minor tweak here and there in my hip (sciatic), but I am up and walking straight and pain-free.

My PM doc is skeptical that the Neurontin was the reason for the break in my pain as the pain has not returned since I stopped taking Neurontin, but who cares what he thinks!

Old 01-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #8
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User

Hi Tomarrow and Dexter. Tomarrow, I posted to you on your thread.

Dexter, I read your initial post the day before I saw my neuro. I am always one step ahead of him, and figured he was going to suggest a nerve drug, be it N. or Topomax or whatever. So, when I saw your post it gave me great hope! I still have hope, and I am feeling better. Today I had to take a vicodin but haven't had one in about 4 days so the N. must be working! Anyway, your post was very inspiring for me and I hope I get the same results! And I agree, who cares what he thinks!!!! Good luck to you. Be careful in the gym! ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 01-28-2004, 11:03 AM   #9
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

Congradulations, dexter24.
    I LOVE it when someone posts good news like that. Gives all of us hope that one day these PN symptoms will just up and leave. That's a happy thought.

Old 04-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #10
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

[QUOTE=daubie]Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't written much, but not too much new to write. I do still lurk though! Regarding my question. I have been on N for 2 weeks. First week, 1 pill a day, this week 2 a day, and tomarrow I start 3 a day (300 mg each). Although the side effects for me have been minimal, I am having worse nerve pain than before. Just wondering if that has ever happened to anyone else? The pain starts earlier than normal (used to start hurting afternoon, now at 9:00 or 10:00 AM) and I'm even getting some pain behind my leg, which I haven't had since my 3rd ESI over a year ago. It's not bad or anything, but it's just there. And my foot pain is the same pain sometimes, but sometimes it's a stabbing pain as opposed to the burning pain I am used to. I'm not going to quit the treatment until I'm on the full dose for a couple weeks, and then not till I speak with my doctor. I doubt it's doing any damage, but it's just wierd. You never know if a drug may take a while to start working. Anyway, I'm rambling now. If anyone can tell me of their experiences with this drug for nerve pain, I'd appreciate it. Thanks! ~Daubie[/QUOTE]

Hi Daubie.......I took neurontin for the time last night and it made my nerve pain worse! I didn't expect that at all. I laid in bed with terrible pain in my left hip and my legs and feet had intermittent pain throughout. My legs and feet also had "pins & needles". I finally fell asleep but didn't feel any better when I got up this morning. I don't know whether I should take another tonight or if it gets better in time. It sure was strange since I expected it to make the pain better!

Gail

Old 04-16-2004, 11:30 AM   #11
    abacist

abacist HB User

I just wanted to say, that I started taking Neurontin a few days ago. I am not up to my full daily does yet, but I have been truely amazed at the results. I have experienced no side effects, and have been close to pain free for a couple of days. I still get little staps of pain once in a while, but I have been living with lots of pain 24/7 for a couple of months now and at time could barely walk do to pain as well as a lack of functionality in my left leg. That too seems to have dissappeared. My wife is calling it a "wonder drug". Daubie, I hope you find releif soon

Old 04-17-2004, 08:38 AM   #12
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User

Hello everyone! Thought I'd post an update since there are some new users to Neurontin that may need some encouragement. The N. really helped after I got up to full dose, and took it for a couple weeks. I only have breakthrough pain a couple times a week at which time I take a 1/2 vicodin and it goes away. The N. is wonderful because it keeps the pain from ever starting. Haven't had that in 2 years! I do still have to sleep with a brace on my leg/ankle, because if I don't, I stretch that nerve at night when I sleep and wake up with terrible nerve pain. My PT was the one who told me you "stretch" the nerve and create nerve pain. If I sleep with the brace, I wake up with no pain. Anyway, N. has been a great drug for me after the first few weeks. And that lousy side effect of forgetting things did go away. So, I hope you all have the same luck with it that I have had. Take care everyone! ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 04-17-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

After you ramp up you might find that the pain goes away. I am still on a ramp, going for 3600 mg.

Hoping that it finally works for you,

hang in there

Old 04-17-2004, 10:19 AM   #14
    Harmony5
    Veteran
    (female)

Harmony5 HB User

Hi all! Yes, I might need a higher dose to feel better. I am only taking 100 mg. I'm sure I need a higher dose with the pain I have. Wow, 3,600 sure sounds like a lot. Does it make you real dizzy or hard to wake up in the morning? The 100 mg. makes it hard for me to wake up. This is only the 2nd day for me. Does that go away also the more you take it?

Daube, I'm glad to hear it is helping you now. The dr. also wants me to take Sam-e for joint pain. Does anyone else take that with neurontin?

Gail

Old 04-17-2004, 10:38 AM   #15
    Mike O.

Mike O. HB User

I've been taking Nuerontin for 5 years and am now up to 1800mg each day (600mg/3 doses). Right after taking it, I do feel the "pins & needles. However, it has been a great help with minimizing my pain. My bro-in-law is a pharmacist and he's has suggested that I not exceed 2400mg per day for any extended periods of time.

Closed Thread