It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• ALIF L4-5 Surgery Monday 1/26

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #1
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User
    ALIF L4-5 Surgery Monday 1/26

Hi All
    I知 new here and thought I壇 ask if anyone has had the ALIF lumbar disc removal. I知 just looking for general or any info you may have to offer me. My diagnosis is L4-5 DDD causes instability also have a large ligament flavum that contributes to spinal stenosis. I知 scheduled for the procedure this Monday and should be released from Hospital Wednesday. Hope to hear success stories and/or any advice Thanks.

NorthDallas,
    Lower back pain all my life since teenager from unknown cause that has increase last 3-5 years and recently into right leg while walking, setting relieves leg pain but back is always there.
    Pain Management Dr. (PM) 2002/03
    (PM) injections 3 x 2
    (PM) Rhizotomy 9-levels both sides
    (PM) MRI ordered w/ spinal stenosis L4-5 & hypertrophy ligamentum flavum results
    (PM) sent me to Surgeon w/ my request
    L4-5 DDD w/ instability (CT-MYELO)
    Next-up ALIF L4-5 1/26/04[/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Re: ALIF L4-5 Surgery Monday 1/26

[COLOR=Navy][B][CENTER]Hello NorthDallas,[/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I had already made a reply to you and welcomed you in the January's surgery's thread. I am not sure if you have gone back to that thread. I just wanted you to know that my prayer's are with you tomorrow for a successful surgery and recovery. [/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

Old 01-29-2004, 06:31 AM   #3
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User

Thanks Jeanne I certainly appreciate your thoughts. I知 back home as of yesterday and doing as well as expected. Up walking with as straight posture as possible. The surgery went well, 1 ス hours long and only a small incision made, about a 3 ス inch cut starting at my bellybutton going straight down and a few small holes in my back (right side) for the one sided rod/screw. All-in-All I知 in little pain and hope for the best possible outcome. My Dr. said the disc was crusty in the front and gunky/glue like in the front and had fallen apart when removed (DDD for sure) so I知 guessing it was a good move to have it done in a controlled environment rather than have it blow out on me unexpectedly somewhere and have some unknown surgeon do it at an unknown ER. Anyway, I think I did the right thing even though I致e read a lot of horror stories but then I believe I had an excellent surgeon. I値l reply back with my progress as time goes by and I値l certainly reply to anyone that has any questions to help anyone that maybe thinking of the same thing I致e done anything I can do to help my fellow back pain associates. Talk to you all soon.

NorthDallas
    Lower back pain all my life since teenager from unknown cause that has increase last 3-5 years and recently into right leg while walking, setting relieves leg pain but back is always there.
    Pain Management Dr. (PM) 2002/03
    (PM) injections 3 x 2
    (PM) Rhizotomy 9-levels both sides
    (PM) MRI ordered w/ spinal stenosis L4-5 & hypertrophy ligamentum flavum results
    (PM) sent me to Surgeon w/ my request
    L4-5 DDD w/ instability (CT-MEYLO)
    Next-up ALIF L4-5 1/26/04

Old 01-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #4
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile Re: ALIF L4-5 Surgery Monday 1/26

[CENTER][COLOR=DarkGreen] [B]Hello NorthDallas, [/B] [/CENTER]

[SIZE=4] [CENTER] Welcome Home [/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am happy to hear that you are home and that your surgery went well. Please try to get plenty of rest and I am wishing you a very successful recovery. I believe that your in the first post that I have read that stated that you are only in a little pain a day after being home. Sounds as if you sure did have an excellent surgeon. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B]Take Care,
    Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER][/COLOR]

Last edited by MarianJ; 01-29-2004 at 01:48 PM.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:18 PM   #5
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User

Hello Tomrrow and North Dallas !
    Tomorrow - i hope you are feeling better !

North Dallas - i am glad that you are doing ok after surgery . I had the same surgery in November .Mine went ok too . Woke up without back pain - had only front incision pain and back muscle pain - all of that is just about gone now . I still can not be my normal self but i am lots better . If i sit to long or drive to much than i irritate the back and the stomach will start stinging . I also live in the same area that you do . Had my surgery done in Plano .

Old 02-01-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
    txteacher

txteacher HB User

[QUOTE=shaukc]Hello Tomrrow and North Dallas !
    Tomorrow - i hope you are feeling better !

North Dallas - i am glad that you are doing ok after surgery . I had the same surgery in November .Mine went ok too . Woke up without back pain - had only front incision pain and back muscle pain - all of that is just about gone now . I still can not be my normal self but i am lots better . If i sit to long or drive to much than i irritate the back and the stomach will start stinging . I also live in the same area that you do . Had my surgery done in Plano .[/QUOTE]

I had my AFIL s1-L5 November 12. I also had the disc removed from the back. It was a difficult 3 week recovery before I went back to work.
    I am doing great also. some stiffness if I sit too long. I've been careful not to bend or lift.
    I had mine done in Austin.

Good luck with recovery...take it slow.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:09 AM   #7
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User

Hello All Tomorrow, ahaukc, txteacher,

I知 progressing well as far as I can tell. Still sore in lower back and at the incision site and still taking painkiller first thing in the morning and in the evening but not every 4- hours as I was. It痴 been 10 days now (post-op) and I知 going back to work tomorrow but I値l certainly take it easy. I知 also scheduled to have the stitches or really metal clips removed tomorrow; incision site only as the back has the film covering. And I should be setting-up the physical therapy tomorrow too I知 guessing the Dr. will just give me a few cards and I値l have to decide who I want to go to.

Tomorrow Yes, I had an excellent surgeon; he also teaches the ALIF procedure and has been in the business for something like 22 years he was great. I was soar but not as bad as I thought I would be.

Ahaukc Thanks for your input. Yes, I get the stomach sting every now and then too. I was surprised at how small the incision was, about 3-ス inches. I had mine done at the new Frisco Medical facility, which was very nice and had my own room. I liked the anesthesiologist as he gave me the feel-good juice 5 to 10 minutes before being rolled into the cutting room.

Txteacher Thanks for your input too. I haven稚 been sitting that much yet but when I have I feel it too. My Dr痴 instructions were not to sit long and no lifting anything over 5 lbs. But as I知 going back to work tomorrow I値l be sitting more than I have. Hopefully the physical therapy will work it all out.

Thanks all and feel free to reply.
    NorthDallas

Old 02-04-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User

firemed21,
    No problem, I'll keep updating my progress and feel free to ask any questions. One things for sure, daytime TV blows, get some DVD's unless your a reader.
    NorthDallas

Old 02-04-2004, 03:57 PM   #9
    michigansk8er
    (female)

michigansk8er HB User

NorthDallas,

I can't believe you are going back to work already. That is fantastic! I'm supposed to be off for 3 months. I feel fine right now. I'm just not sure I could endure sitting at a desk all day (which I guess is the doctor's concern.........he doesn't want me doing it). I don't get to start PT for awhile. Not sure when. My next appt. is the 20th. Anyhow, that is absolutely amazing you are going back to work already. Good for you!!!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 11:43 AM   #10
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User

Michigansk8er

Yes very amazing for such a major surgery. I sit at a desk all day to. I値l have an update/post on the day here shortly. Thanks for the reply!

NorthDallas

Old 02-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #11
    NorthDallas

NorthDallas HB User

Back to Work Today and First Post-op Dr. visit.

First day back to work! So lets see, surgery was 1/26 so that痴 10-day痴 ago. Got up at 6:30 and into the shower, I only mention this because at the time I was wondering if the Dr. today would tell me I don稚 have to use the see-thru plastic film covering over my incision site. It痴 not a big deal and I haven稚 been in the shower every day but would like not to have to use it any more. The biggest and toughest challenge was getting the socks on, I知 a tall guy but I知 sure this would be problem with anyone. Decided to thro my laptop into a smaller carry-on luggage with the wheels and extending handle worked well as I wasn稚 sure about exceeding the weight limit just yet. Stop for a Starbucks coffee and here I am sitting in front of my PC and standing when I feel like it. Not feeling to bad but still sore as expected.

At the Dr痴 today. He ask about pain and a few other things and then pulled out the 12 staples really no pain doing that just a little sting on the last one as it was in a little tight. And yes, told me I could shower without the covering, soap & water is fine now. Told me to keep doing the ice pack thing lying down with ice pack on back every 20 minutes when I can as that will really help take the soreness out. I haven稚 been doing that as much as I should. The Physical Therapy will not start just yet. He gave me a copy of 5-7 exercises to do and in 3 days add 5-7 more and in 3 more days add 5-7 more. Told me if I can稚 do them then don稚 force it but said I could do once or twice a day if I could. I値l be back to see him in 2 weeks and get an x-ray just before going in. I ask about sitting at my desk he said it痴 ok now and my back will tell me when I should standup for a while and he痴 right about that. Also said I can increase the weight I left as long I keep things close to me, also said I could carry my laptop.

Oh-yah one more thing, Dr. gave me 4 souvenir images (small 5x6 or so) they took during surgery showing different views of my plugs and screws pretty cool he said I can pull them out at dinner parties.

That痴 about it. Have a few conference calls and typical deskwork today but plan on going home early afternoon.
    NorthDallas

Old 02-05-2004, 05:00 PM   #12
    michigansk8er
    (female)

michigansk8er HB User

NorthDallas,

You are doing great!!!!! I'm not allowed to go back to work without a letter from my doctor. I think I might have been able to go back at 2 or 3 weeks physically..........but it wouldn't have been easy, that's for sure. I've decided to stick to the doctors plan only because I've about used up all of my sick time. If I were to go back, scheduling PT would be difficult, among other things. I'm also not sure about sitting at my desk all day with this back brace. It's great that you are allowed to go back though, and have a job that will let you. That is so fantastic!!!!!!

As for socks, I'm tall too. I can put them on best if I lay on my back on the bed and pull my legs up, or sit back in the recliner.

I'm not back at work, but I've been walking 2 miles a day now, for the past 2 weeks.....and am up to 3.2 mph with no problems, so I'm doing great. I'm 4 weeks post-op today.

Michigansk8er

Old 02-05-2004, 06:32 PM   #13
    larryp

larryp HB User

M. Sk8er,
    You and NorthDallas amaze me with your recovery. I think thats GREAT! I read where some post fusion people schedule physical therapy. I have had two seperate fusion surgeries by two different doctors, one an Ortho surgeon, the other a Neurosurgeon and neither recommended PT because of the time it takes to fuse and you don't want to cause a problem at the fusion site. Just don't over do it and good luck. I also spent many years involved in competative sports and know how you just can't wait to get active again.
    Larry
    1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #14
    michigansk8er
    (female)

michigansk8er HB User

I'm amazed myself how well things have gone. I definitely can't wait until I can be more active again. I know it will be awhile though, before I can do anything but walk. I'm also not sure when I will start PT. My surgeon said not for awhile. He did say that he has worked with a doctor at one of the PT places here in town to develop a special program. It will be nice to have something other than the treadmill to do. I have walked in the mall some, but that is dangerous................I want to shop while I'm there.

Michigansk8er

Old 02-06-2004, 11:20 AM   #15
    larryp

larryp HB User

[QUOTE=michigansk8er]I'm amazed myself how well things have gone. I definitely can't wait until I can be more active again. I know it will be awhile though, before I can do anything but walk. I'm also not sure when I will start PT. My surgeon said not for awhile. He did say that he has worked with a doctor at one of the PT places here in town to develop a special program. It will be nice to have something other than the treadmill to do. I have walked in the mall some, but that is dangerous................I want to shop while I'm there.

Michigansk8er[/QUOTE]
    Msk8ter,
    It sounds like your N/S and PT have a good plan worked out for you. Keep progressing.
    Good Luck,
    Larry
    1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Closed Thread