It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Chiropractic question - back is better, neck is worse

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-07-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
    clt13

clt13 HB User
    Chiropractic question - back is better, neck is worse

I'm new to these boards and wanted to see if anyone has had similar results from chiropractic. Before I write this I just want to say that a lot of the people posting on this board have been through a much more hellish experience than I have and I admire all of you for persevering through your pain. Brief background: I'm 29 and have been having widespread bad neck and back pain problems for about 9 months. I've gone through the gamet of x/rays and MRIs - all that was found was a bulging disc at L5/S1, but it was not considered serious (surgery wouldn't provide much help). So basically I have classic "nonspecific, musculoskeletal" back and neck pain. Other than this I am in fairly good health.

I tried PT for about 5 months and got minimal results. On the advise of friends and a specific referral from the spine MD I was seeing, I decided to try chiropractic. After 18 visits, my back is definitely better (I can now sit without severe pain for up to an hour where before I couldn't last for more than 10 minutes), but my neck pain has gotten worse. I have discussed this many times with the chiropractor and he says that because my neck joints and muscles have been so tight for so long, he isn't surprised that my pain went up because the muscles and tendons are probably re-tightening after being more stretched out than usual due to the adjustments. He says we need to give it another several weeks. His reasoning sounds legitimate. However, I'm scared that I might be making myself permanently worse... has anyone had a similar experience with chiropractic?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-07-2004, 05:40 PM   #2
    larryp

larryp HB User
    Re: Chiropractic question - back is better, neck is worse

[QUOTE=clt13]I'm new to these boards and wanted to see if anyone has had similar results from chiropractic. Before I write this I just want to say that a lot of the people posting on this board have been through a much more hellish experience than I have and I admire all of you for persevering through your pain. Brief background: I'm 29 and have been having widespread bad neck and back pain problems for about 9 months. I've gone through the gamet of x/rays and MRIs - all that was found was a bulging disc at L5/S1, but it was not considered serious (surgery wouldn't provide much help). So basically I have classic "nonspecific, musculoskeletal" back and neck pain. Other than this I am in fairly good health.

I tried PT for about 5 months and got minimal results. On the advise of friends and a specific referral from the spine MD I was seeing, I decided to try chiropractic. After 18 visits, my back is definitely better (I can now sit without severe pain for up to an hour where before I couldn't last for more than 10 minutes), but my neck pain has gotten worse. I have discussed this many times with the chiropractor and he says that because my neck joints and muscles have been so tight for so long, he isn't surprised that my pain went up because the muscles and tendons are probably re-tightening after being more stretched out than usual due to the adjustments. He says we need to give it another several weeks. His reasoning sounds legitimate. However, I'm scared that I might be making myself permanently worse... has anyone had a similar experience with chiropractic?[/QUOTE]
    Clt13,
    I went to chiros for years on and off and you can see what kind of back history I have had below in my signature. Well, I got to where I would not let them touch my neck or my middle back due to the pain it generated. As you can see below I found out later I had two herniated discs in my thorasic spine and all the Chiro was doing was making it worse. Now my wife goes to her Chiro regularly but has no evidence of any deformities so it seems to help her.
    Good Luck,
    Larry
    1990-Myelogram=L4-5 LAMINECTOMY.1998-Myelogram,Discogram,CTscan=L 4-5 FUSION w/BAK cages. 2002-Prolotherapy injections. 2003-April-MRI Lumbar spine=DDD,bulges,arthritis,low disc height,Physical Therapy.2003-May-MRI Thorasic spine=Two herniations displacing nerve roots.2003-July-Nerve blocks/epidurals; 2003-August-L5/S1 FORAMENOTOMY.2003-October-Lumbar Discogram=2003-December-L5/S1 FUSION w/BMP/LT cages. 2004-Jan-Pain much worse than before surgery. CTscan & L1/L2 nerve block & Myelogram.

Old 03-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
    MPT

MPT HB User

HI,
    My cousin is a chiropractor and I am currently seeing one for my pain from L5-s1 Herniated disc. I was told that it is normal for the neck to be worse after they work on your back for a while. Now they have to work on your neck. It all ties in together as the neck and back are connected to each other via the spine.
    MPT
    Not to worry though.

Old 03-02-2004, 05:01 PM   #4
    Cindy Stoller
    Inactive

Cindy Stoller HB User

I dont see a problem continuing with the chiro.......for a little longer. My rule of thumb is that if there is no improvement in 2-3 months, its time to see a ortho again. It probably is just strain from compensating from your low back pain, but better safe than sorry! As one person said, all those muscles are interconnected, so what affects one affects all.
    I would also suggest using a product called BioFreeze on your neck. It is similar in concept to BenGay, IcyHot, et al, but with one big difference. It uses cold therapy instead of heat. It is made with menthol and camphor and a herb called ILEX. It has done wonders for me! It doesnt work too well on large muscles, like the back, but it was the only thing that worked for my epicondylitis (tennis elbow).
    Good luck!

Old 03-02-2004, 05:57 PM   #5
    GracieGirl

GracieGirl HB User

I went to a chiro. and it was the worst decision I have ever made. Many people are helped, but it made my pain MUCH worse. Wish I had never gone. Be careful with your spine. Everyone varies.

5/02 onset of low back pain
    11/02 physical therapy, pain same
    5/03 physical therapy, discharged, not effective
    7/03 lumbar MRI, disc protrusion L5-S1, annular disc tear
    8/03 chiropractor, physical therapy, pain worse
    10/03 MRI thoracic spine, 2 small hemangiomas, trace fluid on lungs
    11/03 tested for Lupus, negative
    11/03 orhtopedic surgeon, canidate for future artificial disc replacement surgery when approved
    1/04 epidurals

Old 03-02-2004, 06:11 PM   #6
    MPT

MPT HB User

Yes, biofreeze is great. I've used it too.
    MPT

Old 03-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #7
    michigansk8er
    (female)

michigansk8er HB User

My mother went years ago for a back problem. She ended up much worse, ended up having surgery and was in the hospital for over a month. I wouldn't go near one, after her experience and looking at their education requirements. I live in an area where we have the option of a manipulative medicine clinic.........totally DO's. I prefer having "real" doctors.

Glad your back is feeling better, and this is working for you.........but be careful.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #8
    spookycat99
    (female)

spookycat99 HB User

LarryP I noticed that you had prolotherapy done. I have chronic neck pain and would like to try prolotherapy for the myofascial pain syndrome that I have had for 5 years now. Is it painful, did it help??? Thanks for any info!!

Looking for answers.....

[QUOTE=larryp;849589]Clt13,
    I went to chiros for years on and off and you can see what kind of back history I have had below in my signature. Well, I got to where I would not let them touch my neck or my middle back due to the pain it generated. As you can see below I found out later I had two herniated discs in my thorasic spine and all the Chiro was doing was making it worse. Now my wife goes to her Chiro regularly but has no evidence of any deformities so it seems to help her.
    Good Luck,
    Larry[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread