It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• New Here - Doc prescribed Neurontin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2004, 03:12 PM   #1
    Nitasmom

Nitasmom HB User
    Question New Here - Doc prescribed Neurontin

Hi Everyone -

I am new to this board and very excited that my daughter found it for me. I have been suffering w/chronic back pain since 1975 from an on-the-job injury. I had disc removal at L5-S1 in 1979 and then a Fusion in 1994. I now have a bulging disc in my neck & at L4 level since fusion. In addition to that, I now have pains that shoot down my right leg; my leg gives out on me when I am standing or walking; I wobble around like a toddler just learning to walk. I feel like my hip is coming apart & most days want to take my leg off & toss it across the room.

The past couple of months, I have been having a really bad head pain in the back of my head when my back is hurting and if I am standing. If I lie down, the pain in my head eases up...so I went to see a Neuro who ordered yet another MRI. The neuro prescribed Neurontin for me. Of course, when I read that it was a seizure medication, it scared me & I did not take it.

What has been your experience w/Neurontin & chronic back pain?

Myrtle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
    tennisnut
    Inactive

tennisnut HB User
    Re: New Here - Doc prescribed Neurontin

[QUOTE=Nitasmom]Hi Everyone -

I am new to this board and very excited that my daughter found it for me. I have been suffering w/chronic back pain since 1975 from an on-the-job injury. I had disc removal at L5-S1 in 1979 and then a Fusion in 1994. I now have a bulging disc in my neck & at L4 level since fusion. In addition to that, I now have pains that shoot down my right leg; my leg gives out on me when I am standing or walking; I wobble around like a toddler just learning to walk. I feel like my hip is coming apart & most days want to take my leg off & toss it across the room.

The past couple of months, I have been having a really bad head pain in the back of my head when my back is hurting and if I am standing. If I lie down, the pain in my head eases up...so I went to see a Neuro who ordered yet another MRI. The neuro prescribed Neurontin for me. Of course, when I read that it was a seizure medication, it scared me & I did not take it.

What has been your experience w/Neurontin & chronic back pain?

Myrtle[/QUOTE]

Hi Myrtle and welcome!

I have been taking 3000mg Neurontin daily for about the past 9 months. The doctor started me out on a much lower dose and then increased it. At first I didn't think the medication was helping my back pain and I stopped taking it. My pain shot up a few point on the old pain scale so I new for sure it was working. It helps about 50% of people who are prescribed it for back/nerve pain. Although it was developed as a seizure medication, it has been routinely used "off label" to treat many different types of problems, back pain being one. So don't worry about taking it. Some people on this board have reported side effects - as with all medications, you can get side effects. But it is a perfectly safe drugs. The side effects are merely unpleasant symptoms and may actually go away in time if you take the drug for a long enough period. Hope the neurontin gives you some relief!

--tennisnut

Old 02-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #3
    Nitasmom

Nitasmom HB User

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I really appreciate it. I started taking the Neurontin on yesterday. I will keep you posted & let you know if I notice any changes. Take care

Myrtle

Old 02-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #4
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User

Hi Myrtle. I just started N about 1 month ago. See my signature for a brief outline of my problems. My foot pain/numbness is most likely permanent. The doc told me outright that N is a anti seizure drug and may or may not help. I started with 1 pill a day for a week, then 2 for a week, and now 3. 300mg each. Now, the first 2 weeks, I felt more foot pain than usual. I thought, wow, I'll stick to my vicodin. But after the 3rd week, I am noticing that I do not get the foot pain hardly at all. With vicodin, I would take it when the pain started, and didn't realize what a releif it would be to not get the pain at all. It has been heaven! I've had to adjust my times because I was speading my 3 pills too far apart (7:00 am, 4 pm, and at bedtime). NO. Now I take them at 9 am, 1 pm and 5 pm. Works like a charm! The only side effects I had was the sleepiness, which has now diminished. Also, it did make me "loopy" at first, so I wouldn't plan on driving after you take it until you know your body is used to it. My doctor also refilled my vicodin, so it is safe to take both (although my dosage was VERY low). Medrol is a oral steroid. I too had that at the onset of my symptoms and it helped a lot. Its like a Z pack (if you know what that is). You take a huge dose the first day, then less and less each day for a week. It helped, but be careful, if your doctor would even prescribe it. Very powerful, and you know steroids can have a lot of side effects. One other side effect with the N..... short term memory loss. I will forget what I'm doing if I get up to go into the kitchen for something, stupid things like that. That side effect is still with me, but getting better. I hope this helps you, and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask! Good luck! ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Closed Thread