It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• nerve pain in FRONT of leg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-13-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User
    nerve pain in FRONT of leg

Hi-
    I was wondering if anyone had any idea about my nerve pain in my leg (predominately right). I had a rough day Tues and this pain that had gone away pretty much since last year is now back.

It's a nerve - burning/pins & needles - in the FRONT of my leg. Dr's always ask me if I have a pain in the back of my leg/bottom of my foot - they NEVER ask about the front!!

This is above the knee cap, and at the top of my foot where it hits my leg.

It's like the area above my knee cap is on fire.

Weird?? Or not??

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 12:11 PM   #2
    Pippin
    Inactive

Pippin HB User
    Re: nerve pain in FRONT of leg

Above the knee cap is your L4 (possibly L3) dermatome. Top of your foot is L5 (possibly L4 if towards your inside ankle, or S1 if towards your outside ankle).

Old 02-13-2004, 12:44 PM   #3
    Mart7

With my herniated disc (L-4), I had extreme pain in the front of the leg (mine was my left leg). I would take a step and it felt like my leg was literally breaking it was horrible. After my microdiscetomy in 1999, I didn't have the pain anymore. So that leads me to believe it was definitely related to nerve related issuess from the herniated disc.
    -MJ

Old 02-13-2004, 10:46 PM   #4
    Standingman1

Standingman1 HB User

Nothing weird about front of leg pain necessarily; it depends what lumbar level is involved. My own major problem is at L2/3 so I have front of leg pain (upper thing and sometimes above knee) quite often. This corresponds with L2, the femoral nerve, as opposed to the sciatic. Upper lumbar problems are less common than lower ones--where pain tends to be foot or calf/back of leg--but still include about 15% of people with disk problems.

Standingman

Old 02-14-2004, 09:21 AM   #5
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

I have a trapped L4-5 nerve root and it causes the same pain you describe..in the front of the leg and boy is it painful...burns and throbs. Have you had an MRI recently? If not, it may be time to do another one.
    Carol

Old 02-14-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User

Hi, and thank you, everyone-
    Yes, I had another mri 2 wks ago, and it showed herniations/tears at L3-4,4-5, but no nerve impingement. So, I don't understand how I have these nerve problems if it doesn't show anything pressing on a nerve. That's confusing to me.
    I had to sit 2 hours for my hearing Tues, and that flared this leg problem up. Love 1436, we had our accidents in the same exact month!
    Pippin, the weird thing is, it's not to the left or right of the ankle, it's dead front!
    I'm getting si blocks this Thurs - I don't know if the si joint can cause problems in the front of the leg or not. We'll see if anything improves! Thanks everyone. This is a horrible, weird, pain and I hate it that you all have it, too.

Old 02-15-2004, 06:16 PM   #7
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User

Standingman,
    I read your name comes from it being so hard to sit. I had guessed your name was what it is b/c of all you've been through - you've been dealt some hard blows, but you're still standing!

Old 02-15-2004, 07:40 PM   #8
    standingman
    Veteran

standingman HB User

Thanks, Amy--I feel luckier than many--I can still stand and walk without much problem; even an hour going "uphill" on the treadmill at a reasonable pace. Not much pain, unless I "push the envelope." Unfortunately, it's a rather narrow envelope!

Take care,

Standingman

Closed Thread