It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Can neck/upper back pain cause face tingling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
    Can neck/upper back pain cause face tingling?

Hi,
    I have had a lot of neck and upper back tightness/pain since I was in a car accident last May. I also have bouts of facial and scalp tingling off and on. I was just wondering if it is possible for muscle tightness in my upper back and neck to cause this tingling sensation in my face.
    Thanks,
    hilery

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2004, 01:02 PM   #2
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

californiasunflower HB User
    Re: Can neck/upper back pain cause face tingling?

[QUOTE=hilery79]Hi,
    I have had a lot of neck and upper back tightness/pain since I was in a car accident last May. I also have bouts of facial and scalp tingling off and on. I was just wondering if it is possible for muscle tightness in my upper back and neck to cause this tingling sensation in my face.
    Thanks,
    hilery[/QUOTE]

Who has been treating you for your injuries? Tingling in the face is a neurological symptom and your symptoms could be caused by your accidental injuries. Need an MRI to see what is going on in your neck especially since you were in a car accident. Need to verify if you have pinched nerve and/or herniated cervical disk. Neck pain can radiate upwards (causing headaches) and downwards (shoulders, arms) and the force of an accident can cause these symptoms. But you need a physician to verify that. I recommend you report this symptom to your physican.

Last edited by californiasunflower; 02-19-2004 at 01:03 PM.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:26 PM   #3
    delilah1963
    (female)

delilah1963 HB User

Hi Hilery,
    Is it possible that in the accident you injured to TMJs? (Jaw Joints)...injury to the TMJs can wreak all kinds of havoc on the face, neck, upper back, shoulder pain, headaches, muscle spasms, tingling, numbness, earaches, tinnitus, face and sinus pain...on and on. It's amazing how interconnected it all really is. I read somewhere recently where many whiplash victims (I don't know if this was your injury or not...just lending info) actually have whiplash of the jaw joint, not only the cervical spine. Anyway, my dear, just a thought.

Regards,
    Del

Old 02-20-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi, thank you for your replys.

Last summer I saw a chiro a few times, but had to quit going after finding out I had thyroid cancer. He did do an xray and said I had whiplash. Would he have been able to tell if I had a pinched nerve or herniated disc by xray? I have mentioned my neck pain and facial tingling to my GP, but he never seems too concerned(blamed it on anxiety/tension headaches??).

Delilah, I have been wondering about TMJ. I do have jaw pain and clicking off and on. I also grind my teeth at night. How is this dx'd?

I will make an appt. with my GP and insist on more testing to see what is causing my pain and tingling.

Thanks again, hilery

Old 02-20-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

Hi Hilery!

Delilah is very adept with TMJ symptoms. She'll also answer your questions very well. I learned a lot from her too! I was unaware it affected sinuses and caused ear problems too! Wow! TMJ can wreak havoc!

NECK ISSUES
    An MRI is needed to determine pinched nerve and verify herniated disk. Caution: Please avoid having Chiro do adjustments as that can worsen a pinched nerve!

TMJ ISSUES
    This can cause facial pain, tingling, and all the symtoms described by Delilah.

WHO TREATS TMJ?
    Dentists, A DMD or DDS can treat TMJ and bruxism.

MOUTHGARD IS EFFECTIVE TO ELIMINATE BRUXISM & PAIN CAUSED BY SAME
    The bruxism can be eliminated by using a mouthgard. The one prepared by the dentist is good but will cost a lot of money that your insurance carrier may not pay for as "Nightguards" and/or mouthgards are usually exclusions. If you have TMJ, the dentist should prepare a "Preauthorization" for your health plan to review-- if TMJ services are covered. Delilah can probably give you much more info on that aspect. If these services are deemed related to your car accident, be sure to keep records of everything so that you can get reimbursement from whomever is responsible.

I highly recommend the use of a mouthgard at night during sleep, particularly to eliminate teeth clenching. The results are remarkable and improvements are quick. Then, any pain that shows afterwards is generally due to the neck injury that can cause migraines. As long as there is inflammation in the neck, you may experience headaches/migraines.

A mouthgard from Wal-Mart that costs $25 (which I thought was high, but not compared to what the dentist will charge which is $400 and over) is very effective. The instructions to fit it to your oral cavity are easy. It comes with a very nice holder, and now, one can keep it fresher and cleaner with the new Aquablast! At first time trying the mouthgard, it will feel extremely strange and you might even think "the heck with this." But give yourself time to adjust as the results are remarkable! You will eliminate a pain source from teeth clenching and you don't need a physician's prescription to get this useful item for yourself. The cost is worth the benefit!

Hope this helps and you get relief! CaSun

Last edited by californiasunflower; 02-20-2004 at 08:17 AM.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:17 AM   #6
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

Hi CaSun,
    Thank you so much for your help. I will definatly pick up a mouthguard this weekend. And, I will talk to my Dr. about an MRI. I have asked for one in the past because of my headaches, but he didn't think it was necessary. I guess I'll have to be a little more aggressive.

Have a good weekend and thanks again for your help!
    Hilery

Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 AM   #7
    hilery79
    Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User

CaSun,
    I have one more question. I have a permanant wire retainer behind my bottom teeth. Would this prevent me from being able to have an MRI?
    Thanks, hilery

Old 02-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #8
    californiasunflower
    Senior Veteran

[QUOTE=hilery79]CaSun,
    I have one more question. I have a permanant wire retainer behind my bottom teeth. Would this prevent me from being able to have an MRI?
    Thanks, hilery[/QUOTE]

That's a good question because you have to remove all metals. I am not sure what the imaging provider does exactly for individuals who have metal plates in their heads, either. I would recommend when you discuss the MRI with your physician, that you alert him to the perm. wire retainer and find out who the imaging provider he'll be referring you to and call them. You'll need to talk to them before the appointment anyway.

If the mouthgard helps eliminate the facial tingling and headaches then you've saved yourself the time, expense, and experience of an MRI. But if you are having symptoms that aren't getting better by the treatment you've been prescribed, inform your physician what's going on and see if he comes to the conclusion that all has been done to no avail, and he needs to rule out a herniated disk, etc.

Keep us informed! Let me know how the mouthgard works for you! I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how such a simple item can bring so much relief!

Closed Thread