It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3 weeks post op l-5,s-1 fusion-questions about recovery...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2004, 01:24 PM   #1
    favrex
    Inactive

favrex HB User
    Red face 3 weeks post op l-5,s-1 fusion-questions about recovery...

I just wondered if anyone was familiar with the recovery process after having a fusion with the L-5, s-1 discs. I feel great the fusion doesnt bother me much, except in the morning, I feel like I cant walk, My legs -every muscle in them hurts, Like tendonitis, and I use a cane, If I dont the pain is worse in the morning, and sometimes, the pain, its not bad, but frustrating, and It almost makes you want to cry, one day its bad and the next its ok. Is this normal? I have been wearing my back brace and walking almost every day like the doc told me to. what else should I be doing?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2004, 05:01 PM   #2
    SpondyMom

SpondyMom HB User
    Re: 3 weeks post op l-5,s-1 fusion-questions about recovery...

[QUOTE=favrex]I just wondered if anyone was familiar with the recovery process after having a fusion with the L-5, s-1 discs. I feel great the fusion doesnt bother me much, except in the morning, I feel like I cant walk, My legs -every muscle in them hurts, Like tendonitis, and I use a cane, If I dont the pain is worse in the morning, and sometimes, the pain, its not bad, but frustrating, and It almost makes you want to cry, one day its bad and the next its ok. Is this normal? I have been wearing my back brace and walking almost every day like the doc told me to. what else should I be doing?[/QUOTE]

You should only be doing what your doc tells you you can do! Have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your knees?

Old 02-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #3
    Mart7

Have you talked to your Doctor? It sounds like you are in excruciating pain and it would be worth discussing it further with him. I would imagine that it would be normal to experience the most pain in the morning (after you have been in bed and muscles and joints tend to be more stiff anyway). But, I would think input from your surgeon might be useful. I am sure there are others on the board that have had fusion procedures that might have additional suggestions for reducing the pain. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.
    -MJ

Old 02-27-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
    favrex
    Inactive

favrex HB User

I do sleep with a pillow between my knees when I sleep on my side, which is rare these days, but the pain isnt excriciating, its just painful and you are right stiffness is a big part of it, it just takes a while after pain meds and a hot shower to get moving better, sometimes an antinflammitory to help, I just thought after this amount of time the pain would be less and less, you know instead of same, and a little worse at times, Its not as bad as the first two days after surgery, at all. But the pain, be it mild or moderate does get to me at I feel tears well up just out of frustration, being tired of the pain for so long. I mean you deal with pain before surgery, and again after, THis has been an ongoing thing for almost 5 years and three surgeries, finally this time fusing it, and I can finally stand, which I couldnt do before, It just gets to you, You know? laying in a hospital bed, feeling helpless, and unable to do the things you could do weeks ago, I am afraid to lift anything, because they recommend you dont lift over 10 lbs. for a month or whatever, and I took the garbage out the other day, Less than 7 lbs,.maybe 5, but when I went off the step off the patio, I jarred my back, which was dumb. so I am afraid to do anything now. I dont know, I just thought you guys could tell me if this is normal?

Old 02-27-2004, 10:31 PM   #5
    Mart7

I am so sorry you are so much pain. I can understand your frustration, to be in constant pain is very discouraging. I am currently in constant pain and my Orthepedic surgeon is recommending surgery for DDD and a collapsed disc. The surgery I had in 1999, was a different procedure; I had a microdiscectomy for a herniation of the L-4 disc. So, the procedure I had, wasn't as involved as yours, so it is hard to compare healing time. However, I actually had so much less pain post-surgery then I was having 6 months prior to the surgery -- that is was just such a relief. I personally didn't experience want you are discribing, the only pain I recall was lower back around the incision and some muscle spasms. But again, it was a different procedure, so I don't want to compare. I am sure more board members will have additional input. But again, if the pain continues it would be a good idea to talk to your Doctor. I am so sorry you are in so much pain.
    -MJ

Old 02-27-2004, 11:15 PM   #6
    MollieR

MollieR HB User

I am 6 wks now out of surgery for spinal fusion of L4,L5 and S1 with bone graft from pelvis. It is a mind game now, trying not to be discouraged everyday. I was an extremely active person and being laid up is difficult. But you will have good days and bad days and I tended to overdo on the good days. It does get better, I know it doesn't seem like it and sometimes the progress is so slow. I had the stupid idea I didn't want to "bother" the doc with my frequent questions. You call you doc now and tell him how you feel, really he wants to hear feedback and sometimes he can change up your meds and you feel better. We're all here for support for each other so any questions ask away but call the doc soon.

Last edited by MollieR; 02-27-2004 at 11:16 PM.

Old 02-28-2004, 06:59 AM   #7
    carken
    (female)

carken HB User

I'm now 8 weeks post-op from a laminectomy with spinal fusion and I'm also still in quite a bit of pain. Yes, the mornings are the worst, and then after I get "loosened up" a little, I think I might be able to do a little something around the house. After a short time, though, the pain in my thighs and buttocks kicks in, and I know it's time for a pain pill. They don't really help much, but maybe just take the edge off.

I'd thought I'd be able to go back to work in late March, but that gives me only three weeks to my target date, and if things don't improve drastically, I won't be able to. I'm a 5th grade teacher, 62 years old. That takes lots of energy and it creates a lot of stress. I think if I had a desk job, I'd be able to do it, but I don't know.

I don't want to discourage you, but my purpose is just to let you know that you're not in this alone. Really, I don't think I'm any farther down the road than I was several weeks ago. It's hard to tell. I go back to the doc on March 16, and he'd said he was going to recommend physical therapy at that time. I walk every day and do my leg exercises. I try to do a little housework, but it takes me forever because I'm always stopping to rest.

Carole

[QUOTE=MollieR]I am 6 wks now out of surgery for spinal fusion of L4,L5 and S1 with bone graft from pelvis. It is a mind game now, trying not to be discouraged everyday. I was an extremely active person and being laid up is difficult. But you will have good days and bad days and I tended to overdo on the good days. It does get better, I know it doesn't seem like it and sometimes the progress is so slow. I had the stupid idea I didn't want to "bother" the doc with my frequent questions. You call you doc now and tell him how you feel, really he wants to hear feedback and sometimes he can change up your meds and you feel better. We're all here for support for each other so any questions ask away but call the doc soon.[/QUOTE]

Old 02-29-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
    favrex
    Inactive

favrex HB User

Thank you for your posts and advice, I appreciate it, I think what was going on was that I was trying to do too much, My husband was staying home with me to help, which was nice, but we needed money too, so I told him to go to work I was fine, while I was home doing laundry, Not lifting things at all, but just doing too much, cleaning house a bit and doing dishes, and didnt realize I was slowing my recovery. I feel really good today every day seems a bit better, I have the calf muscle pain, but when I use the cane, I doesnt hurt, I think its just a muscle pulled from walking funny to favor my back, anyone relate? plus I have stairs In my house, and my computer is upstairs.... so there you go, this isnt as bad as it sounds, I just get frustrated being layed up so long, I hate laying around so much, but, mostly thats why I feel like crying, I just wears on you after a while, especially when you have pain before the surgery to deal with too. I knew what I was getting into and now I am so glad I did it. My back, hips and legs feel great. My left leg and a three toes are still numb, but If thats the worst that I come out of with this, I can totally live with it, I am fine with that. anyone had pelvic numbness with this? my butt and crotch area were totally numb for a week after, Its slowly coming out of it. Is that normal?

Closed Thread