It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Anyone had Endoscopic Microdiscectomy?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
    JewelsD

JewelsD HB User
    Anyone had Endoscopic Microdiscectomy?

Hi! I'm new to this board, and I'm trying to find people with problems/pain like mine.

I have a "mild" disc bulge at L4/L5 and SI dysfunction. I was in a MVA in Sept 2002. I've been going to phyiscal therapy regularly and I've had epidural steriod injections in my facets (early 2003), disc (Nov,Dec 2003), and in my SI joint (Dec 02, Jan 04). After the first ESI in the L4/L5 disc (Nov '03), I was actually pain free for a couple of days. That was the first time since the accident that I had NO pain. The ESIs are also somewhat diagnostic...I think proving the main source of my pain to be disc related. I think most of my pain is with my sciatic nerve in my butt. I experience most pain while sitting (I have a desk job). Last week I had the worst leg pain/tingling since the accident. (Keep in mind my injury was 17 months ago). So I feel like I'm obviously not going to heal on my own.

In the last week I have begun to consider an endoscopic microdiscectomy. They say this is the least invasive procedure of back surgeries - it's outpatient and you leave with a bandaid where they entered your back. Has anyone had this particular procedure and if so, what were your results??

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
    hawks066
    (male)

hawks066 HB User
    Re: Anyone had Endoscopic Microdiscectomy?

I had a similiar procedure done using the METRX system. My doc used his microscope to do it instead of using an endoscope. I did not make out well as 2 weeks after I developed the worst pain of my life. The one negative thing about this minimal invasive procedure is that the surgeon's vision is compromised using this technique. Don't let my story dissapoint you. I'm sure many people have been better off after surgery using this technique compared to using a standard discectomy procedure.

Old 02-29-2004, 04:57 PM   #3
    wolebearsnc

wolebearsnc HB User
    Thumbs up Re: Anyone had Endoscopic Microdiscectomy?

[QUOTE=JewelsD]Hi! I'm new to this board, and I'm trying to find people with problems/pain like mine.

I have a "mild" disc bulge at L4/L5 and SI dysfunction. I was in a MVA in Sept 2002. I've been going to phyiscal therapy regularly and I've had epidural steriod injections in my facets (early 2003), disc (Nov,Dec 2003), and in my SI joint (Dec 02, Jan 04). After the first ESI in the L4/L5 disc (Nov '03), I was actually pain free for a couple of days. That was the first time since the accident that I had NO pain. The ESIs are also somewhat diagnostic...I think proving the main source of my pain to be disc related. I think most of my pain is with my sciatic nerve in my butt. I experience most pain while sitting (I have a desk job). Last week I had the worst leg pain/tingling since the accident. (Keep in mind my injury was 17 months ago). So I feel like I'm obviously not going to heal on my own.

In the last week I have begun to consider an endoscopic microdiscectomy. They say this is the least invasive procedure of back surgeries - it's outpatient and you leave with a bandaid where they entered your back. Has anyone had this particular procedure and if so, what were your results??

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
    jewels...hi there...4 years ago I had the exact surgery in the exact place....
    I had wonderful siccess with the surgery...was only in the hospital 24 hours...sent home ...the 1st few days were rough BUT after that I felt famtastic...went back to to work 3 weeks later & up to July of last year have not had a bit of trouble.....I guess I am one of the success stories BUT now I am having all kinds of DIFFERENT issues....in the exact same area....
    either I have spinal stenosis OR DDD.....have 3 differnt medical professionals ...2 say spinal stenosis & one say DDD...am now having epidural steriod injections...have had one & so far no pain releif at all...as a matter of fact am having more leg pain than before....I go this coming friday for my 2nd of 3 injections & was told that the 2nd should show some improvement....will see....
    take care & hope you have the same success as I did...
    wolebearsnc

Old 02-29-2004, 05:38 PM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=JewelsD]Hi! I'm new to this board, and I'm trying to find people with problems/pain like mine.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

If you have pain in the area of area of the sciatic nerve you may want to see a Neurologist. You want to get the inflammation down. The area becomes inflammed and presses on that nerve. You might also research Prolotherapy.

Sittin' for any period of time is not good for you unless you sit up straight, raise your feet with something under them, have great lumbar support, and get up and walk around at least every hour. There are great websites with back exercises and stretches that you can do while sitting at your desk.

Seventeen months is a long time to heal. That moves it into chronic pain versus acute pain. I would seek a second opinion before even considering surgury, ever. You might just be tight and need to do a lot of Pilates, stretches, walking, get blood flow to that area. I had the same diagnoses as you do and went with the Prolotherapy. It is costly but working for me.

Old 02-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #5
    Mart7

I agree it is important to consider all of your options. I had a microdiscectomy in 1999 for a herniated L4 disc (the nerve related damage made PT not even a viable option). I have say the results of the surgery were amazing -- I could barely walk into the hospital and left the hospital walking better and in less pain then I had in the months previous. Keep us posted on how you are doing.
    -MJ

Closed Thread