It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• bone spurs on spine!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
    pdn

pdn HB User
    Unhappy bone spurs on spine!

I have been diagnosed as having Osteophytes!!!!
    new word to me otherwise known as bone spurs on my spine and Ihave an mri
    to have yet.Has anyone had this that is on and have you had surgery to remove them?Iam so bad right now with hardly being able to move that i can't take this much more.it is good to know what is causing me so much pain.
    the other thing my doc wants me tested for is where i might have a narrowing of the spinal canal wich could be pinching my nerves.
    And everything i have been feeling seems to be right on what my doc described as stmptoms.
    I am scared to death!!!
    so p l e a s e anyone any help or experiances would be greatly app.!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2004, 08:59 AM   #2
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User
    Re: bone spurs on spine!

Do you feel like the movements you do make that something is stabbing you in the spine? I had all those symptoms and mostly had back 'bone' pain and it took the doctors forever to fianlly figure it out. I actually had surgery and that is when he seen them. They weren't showing up on any tests. I had surgery in Sept and feel better but feel like they are still a problem. I still can't do much. I can like rollover in bed and I couldn't before but I still have the feeling like there is bones that shouldn't be there causing me pain which would probably be the bone spurs. Mine were my facet joints that were thickening and spurring so when those joints move, I feel pain. It really stinks! I hope that your surgery for them is successfull, I now how much pain it causes!
    God Bless,
    Christina

[QUOTE=pdn] I have been diagnosed as having Osteophytes!!!!
    to have yet.Has anyone had this that is on and have you had surgery to remove them?Iam so bad right now with hardly being able to move that i can't take this much more.it is good to know what is causing me so much pain.
    the other thing my doc wants me tested for is where i might have a narrowing of the spinal canal wich could be pinching my nerves.
    And everything i have been feeling seems to be right on what my doc described as stmptoms.
    I am scared to death!!!
    so p l e a s e anyone any help or experiances would be greatly app.!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Old 03-06-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
    pdn

pdn HB User

Hi and yes thats exactly how i feel!! just sharp contiuous jabs of pain!!it it awful!!!!!!
    i"l let you know more!!!

Old 03-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #4
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=pdn] I have been diagnosed as having Osteophytes!!!!
    I am scared to death!!!
    so p l e a s e anyone any help or experiances would be greatly app.!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Bone spurs come with age and lack of calcuim. My husband has one on his neck right now and he can't move his arm. A nerve is hung up on it when he moves. They showed it to him on his X-rays and MRI. (He also has two herniated disks in his neck but that is not the problem.) He is taking lots of calcium to try to break it up without surgury. Since the process takes so long to get through, from initial visit, to eventually, maybe surgury, like I told him, taking calcium can't hurt.

I had a bone spur on my shoulder. They thought that I had a torn rotator cuff so they sent me to physical therapy. I kept telling them that it hurt. I had to jump the insurance hoops and hurdles. Turned out to be a bone spur in the end. I had surgury.

My husband is taking lots of calcium, Vitamin C, chondroiton, glucosomine, and a multi while he waits to see the Neurosurgen.

The thing about medicine is that they usually can't tell what is really causing the pain until they open you up and then they are not always sure.

No matter how bad it hurts, keep moving. I made the mistake of not moving and it made my recovery time only longer. pain is not always a bad thing.

Old 03-07-2004, 07:35 AM   #5
    pdn

pdn HB User

thanks for your replies when you wrote lack of calcium that hit me I donot drink much milk!I try to remember a vitamin every day but i forgit.
    It is so painfull and i do try to keep moving I have 2 kids my youngest is 3 and that keeps me moving!!!!!!
    But it's wierd that this didn't start bothering me till after my accident.I have been to p.t. also and man did i hurt!!!!!! I would barely be able to move the next day!!
    I want them to just get rid of them my doc did not say anytthing to take to help them go away!!!

Old 03-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

I have bone spurs which are causing the stenosis in my back (narrowing). At this point, the doctor doesn't feel surgery is called for; they will just grow back is what he said. I also have the L4-5 nerve root trapped in scar tissue and I dont know which is causing what. I have both sharp pains and dull continuous aches. The leg pain was the worst, and that is why I have the morphine pump.
    Carol

Old 03-07-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=carol632]I have bone spurs which are causing the stenosis in my back (narrowing). At this point, the doctor doesn't feel surgery is called for; they will just grow back is what he said. I also have the L4-5 nerve root trapped in scar tissue and I dont know which is causing what. I have both sharp pains and dull continuous aches. The leg pain was the worst, and that is why I have the morphine pump.
    Carol[/QUOTE]

Oh, man, I feel for you. Seriously. Was the scar tissue caused by surgury? I have a friend who is experiencing this and is taking Neurontin for the pain. She said that if she had never had the surgury or had known the consequences she would have never done it. The morphine pump is a scary proposition.

As for bone spurs, the doc is right in that they tend to grow back. I had mine removed and thankfully, it has not returned. Mine was in the shoulder and was continuallly cutting the rotator cuff. I had to have it out or continue in pain. After that I did a lot of research on bone spurs and how to keep them from growing back. Calcuim. I take supplements but I eat a lot of eat in foods. I am not sure that we can prevent them entirely but I will do whatever it takes to try to stop them. As we age, they are inevitable.

I have talked to a lot of people who have problems from the scar tissue that developed after surgury. That is what scares me. I did develop adhesions from a surgury that I had about 25 years ago in my pelvic area. For a long time they bothered me but they seem to have gone away over time.

Right now I have swollen muscles and ligaments that are pressing on the sciatic nerve but can't take any anti-inflammatories as I am undergoing prolotherapy. I can symapthize with you and the pain. I didn't get any sleep last night due to the pain. I felt my back and you can actually feel where the nerve is sticking up. It is throbbing. I am going to have to ask the doc what I can take that is non-narcotic. Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2004, 10:44 AM   #8
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

Betty,

Recently I was diagnosed with bone spurs on my upper and lower spine.
    My arms/feet/hands go numb and tingling off and on.

You mentioned calcium.

My question is ....how much calcium do you take a day and also what kind??
    I want to avoid surgery as much as possible

Thanks,

WarBonds

Old 03-15-2004, 04:45 PM   #9
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Yes, the scar tissue is from the 4 surgeries on L5-Sl. I have also had calcium deposits in my shoulder and had to have them removed; one had gotten into my rotator cuff...OUCH! That is a painful surgery! Do you have any hardware in your back betty? I dont think you can feel the nerve, it is too deeply buried. Perhaps your dr. should take a look. You might try naproxyn or ibuprofen to help with the inflammation. Good luck.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 03-15-2004, 04:46 PM   #10
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

War bonds, there is nothing that will make bone spurs go away. Oh, how I wish there were! I'm not really sure there is a way to prevent them...if there is, no doctor has ever mentioned it. I hope you get some answers soon.
    Carol
    morphine pump

Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #11
    kootie

kootie HB User

[COLOR=DarkGreen][FONT=Comic Sans MS]If bone spurs were worth money I would be rich !!!! I was makein so many pop noises in the store today it was pathetic......in my neck and back and shoulder in back inside now also pops and pings then feels like sumthing is torn a while...could that be spurs. That area was also injured in one of my spectacular horse wrecks and dislocated at one time also. Ho hum......on bad days I feel like I have my spine slit wide open and across my shoulder from blade to blade. I swear I am gettin shorter too ! Pam[/FONT][/COLOR]

Old 03-15-2004, 08:15 PM   #12
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=WarBonds]Betty,

Recently I was diagnosed with bone spurs on my upper and lower spine.
    My arms/feet/hands go numb and tingling off and on.

You mentioned calcium.

My question is ....how much calcium do you take a day and also what kind??
    I want to avoid surgery as much as possible

Thanks,

WarBonds[/QUOTE]

Sorry that it took so long to get back to you. I had posted a website and was banned for a week.

Calcium: I am not sure what strength it is. I take Oscal three times a day. I take magnesium and zinc with it. There is a lot of literature out there concerning Calcium and its benefits and the difference between coral calcium and the calcium from shellfish. I read one site where a scientist states that coral calcium is a farce and that it is 99% sand. So, instead of wasting my money I take what I can get from the member, big box store, Oscal. I also like to eat dark greens to get my calcium. When you take calcium you have to watch your intake of fiber, make sure that you eat more than usual as one side effect is constipation. Take it with a meal so maximum benefits.

I can't post a link (I learned the hard way) but you can go online to one of the search engines and read about bone spurs and calcium. This is how I found this out.

I was just talking to one of my friends last night who went under the knife. She developed scar tissue. It is pressing on a nerve. They can't help her. She is now on pain management. She said that they wanted to operate again but she said no, that she wished that she had never let them operate in the first place. She is now active in teeling people to avoid it at all costs.

My husband has a bone spur in his neck that is hooking on a nerve that runs to his shoulder. We are not going to have surgury, we are taking the calcuim.

Even if you have a bone spur removed it may return. Each person has to make their own choices, though.

Old 03-16-2004, 04:18 AM   #13
    WarBonds

WarBonds HB User

[QUOTE=moonlight]Sorry that it took so long to get back to you. I had posted a website and was banned for a week.

Calcium: I am not sure what strength it is. I take Oscal three times a day. I take magnesium and zinc with it. There is a lot of literature out there concerning Calcium and its benefits and the difference between coral calcium and the calcium from shellfish. I read one site where a scientist states that coral calcium is a farce and that it is 99% sand. So, instead of wasting my money I take what I can get from the member, big box store, Oscal. I also like to eat dark greens to get my calcium. When you take calcium you have to watch your intake of fiber, make sure that you eat more than usual as one side effect is constipation. Take it with a meal so maximum benefits.

I can't post a link (I learned the hard way) but you can go online to one of the search engines and read about bone spurs and calcium. This is how I found this out.

I was just talking to one of my friends last night who went under the knife. She developed scar tissue. It is pressing on a nerve. They can't help her. She is now on pain management. She said that they wanted to operate again but she said no, that she wished that she had never let them operate in the first place. She is now active in teeling people to avoid it at all costs.

My husband has a bone spur in his neck that is hooking on a nerve that runs to his shoulder. We are not going to have surgury, we are taking the calcuim.

Even if you have a bone spur removed it may return. Each person has to make their own choices, though.[/QUOTE]

Moonlight,

Thankyou for your reponse.

I too am trying to avoid the surgery route. Operations on the back are always risky, from what I have heard from others. I am trying the calcium supplements now, along with extra fiber as you say. In addition to calcium, I am taking boron and magnesium, since these minerals complement each other.
    Good luck to you and your husband and I hope all turns out well for you in the long run

WarBonds

Last edited by WarBonds; 03-16-2004 at 04:19 AM.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 AM   #14
    pdn

pdn HB User

HI you all first i thank you so much for all your replies!!!! I was hoping to get them removed asap didn't realize they'd come back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just hurt so bad right now i just want them gone the pain doesn't ever go away.

Old 03-16-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

PDN
    I'm not sure if your doctor has informed you that if the bone spurs are affecting a nerve for a period of time, they can cause extensive nerve damage and may start to wear away at the nerve.Calcium may help for certain types of bone spurs (calcium deposits) but the bone spurs caused by arthritis are quite hard to get rid of especially since with friction from the certain bones and joints rubbing together, they tend to grow.
    As I said at the beginning of the link, I had my operated on in Sept and I'm pretty sure that they caused nerve damage cause my nerve is still so affected and I'm still extremely limited and can be in quite of an amount of pain. Of course, if they aren't affecting you the way they affected me, I wouldn't have surgery either but sometimes you just have to. I was just constantly being "stabbed" in the back 24/7 by them and totally dysfunctional. Now I'm a bit better but still have alot of problems. I feel as if they removed half of the problem.
    I was just adding my knowledge, good luck, I hope that you get them taken care of!!

Last edited by Mistina; 03-16-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Closed Thread