It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• lower back pain sometimes feels better when spine is cracked

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2004, 11:12 AM   #1
    concerned4me
    (female)

concerned4me HB User
    Question lower back pain sometimes feels better when spine is cracked

If I have been sitting a while and stand, sometimes my lower back is sore(I [i]do[/i] have bad posture). If I stand up completely straight, my lower spine cracks several times and it feels better.

If I stand stationary frequently when I am out somewhere(minor walking involved), my lower back usually hurts. Sometimes the pain is really intense and I would have to sit down. By accident(stretching), I found I can usually relieve the pain. I slowly bend over to touch my toes. As I get closer to my toes, my lower spine continuously cracks. It cracks until I can't bend over anymore and the last crack usually helps any pain.

HELP!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2004, 12:31 PM   #2
    greensky
    (male)

greensky HB User
    Re: lower back pain sometimes feels better when spine is cracked

Hello there, I can recognize the bending forward with pain relief. How long have you had back pain? Have you seen a Doctor?

There is a Australian Doctor Mckenzie who has made a treament system that uses bending the back forward or/and backwards to lesen bulging of a disc. In Denmark were I'm from this type of treatment, was very popular with phisiotherapist. Personaly it would give me limited and short termed relief and exercises gave me more permanent improvement.

Old 03-07-2004, 12:50 PM   #3
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=concerned4me]If I have been sitting a while and stand, sometimes my lower back is sore(I [i]do[/i] have bad posture). If I stand up completely straight, my lower spine cracks several times and it feels better.

If I stand stationary frequently when I am out somewhere(minor walking involved), my lower back usually hurts. Sometimes the pain is really intense and I would have to sit down. By accident(stretching), I found I can usually relieve the pain. I slowly bend over to touch my toes. As I get closer to my toes, my lower spine continuously cracks. It cracks until I can't bend over anymore and the last crack usually helps any pain.

HELP![/QUOTE]

There is one of the most common problems, poor posture. I know that all of us have laughed at our moms telling us to sit up straight or the skits in old movies where the person walks around with a book on their head, but in reality, there is 100% truth in posture/bad problems. I found out the hard way. It took me fifty years but now I make a conscious effort to make sure that I have the best posture possible. We only get one back

Sitting down and touching your toes is a great stretch. This is one that I do dailey.

As your back hurts and cracks you may want to see a DO or physical therapist and find out why. Skip the GP as he will just charge you money to refer you to someone else. If your insurance covers it, you may be able to go straight to a back clinic.

My back cracks when I do stretches if I let a few days go. When I walk on my husband's back it cracks and he loves it. I am not sure if I am helping him or not.

Stretches and walks are good for everyone whether they have a bad back or not. IMHO they should teach them to kids starting in pre-school. In fact, I have a friend who goes to the school and teaches yoga to kids as well as to people in rest homes, this on top of teaching moms to massage kids.

I told the doc that standing hurt but sitting forward helped. He stated that was due to my L5 bulging disk. It is my understanding that disks can bulge in all different directions. If I sit forward it takes the pressure off of the nerve that is being pressed by the bulging disk.

I am not sure, but isn't the cracking sound the same as popping your knuckles or knees, the sound caused by the release of air? My husband has a bad habit of popping his bad knee to get the air out, or so he tells me.

If you can afford it I would have it checked out, change your posture, take breaks more often, and stretch, stretch, stretch.

Old 03-08-2004, 06:17 AM   #4
    concerned4me
    (female)

concerned4me HB User

Hi there, thanks for the responses.

I have had back pain I would say since my late 20's so, it's been quite a few years. No, have not seen a dr... I was told that chiropractors are quacks. :lol

Thanks for all the info. What exercises do you do? Yes, sounds just like I am cracking my knees.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #5
    greensky
    (male)

greensky HB User

Since you have had back pain for years I think you should se a professional.

Otherwise there are many books on back exercises you can do. My experience is it has to be quite high intensive on regular basis to really strengthen a week back. But there are many different approaches from yoga to fitness centres or exercises you can do at home.

Re. chiropractors: I wouldn't go so far as to call them quacks. The first few times I went to a chiropractor a got quite a lot pain relief, but it didn't last and continuing treatments at the chiropractor over a long period of time only made things worse. I know others who are very pleased with chiropractors. My recommendation would be that you can try it but, don't keep on and on if it doesn’t help you after say 5-10 treatments.

Old 03-08-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
    snowmelts
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

snowmelts HB User

My advice:
    Get a spine X-ray. This shows only bone but it shows it very clearly.
    Get a Bone Density scan. This determines bone densisty.
    If Ins pays..get an MRI too. This shows bone (not a clear as an x-ray) as well soft tissue issues like discs, legiments, tendons and nerves.

Armed with those 3 pics you can find a defiante answer.
    Guessing is a bad thing as far as backs go.
    Guessing is also expensive since you do pay for trial and error efforts to make your back feel better.
    If you accidently do the wrong thing and damage your spine beyond repair.. well that's VERY expensive isn't it? You only have one spine and it has to last a lifetime.

I have had ALL the tests....X-rays, Bone Density, MRI's...

After the X-rays I took PT for the Osteoarthritis (OA) which the X-rays show in my Lumbar Spine.
    They did not have the Bone density scans back at that time.
    Density test came back I do also have Borderline Osteoporosis.

It turned out one of the PT excercises the therapist had me doing for my OA is actually BAD for my Borderline Osteoporosis in my spine.

Now that I know about the osteoporosis (thinning bones)I have to judge excercise as how they will effect BOTH back problems combined.

I've found a book that address excercise where both problems are taken into account. But (I think) per board rules here I can't give you the specifics on the books name or author or where I found it on-line.

A chiropracter who can see an X-ray before beginning will know what to avoid harming and exactly what help you need. A good Chiropractor will actually look at those x-rays ( or any tests results you have) and tell you if he can help or not before beginning. If you don't know exactly what's wrong then you pay for appointments that are done "by Golly and by guess".

Last edited by snowmelts; 03-08-2004 at 04:58 PM.

Closed Thread