It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• epidural nerve block and physical therapy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2004, 01:23 PM   #1
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User
    epidural nerve block and physical therapy

Hey all!

Since my doctors are not good at returning phone calls I figured maybe someone here might have an answer...........

I am to have an epidural block next month and then go back to physical therapy. What would I be learning new in physical therapy that wasn't done already before the epidural? Any takers on that?

Thanks
    Lastramy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2004, 02:53 PM   #2
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User
    Re: epidural nerve block and physical therapy

[QUOTE=lastramy]Hey all!

Since my doctors are not good at returning phone calls I figured maybe someone here might have an answer...........

I am to have an epidural block next month and then go back to physical therapy. What would I be learning new in physical therapy that wasn't done already before the epidural? Any takers on that?

Thanks
    Lastramy[/QUOTE]

[B][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]I don't know that you will be learning anything new....however, you doctor may be hoping that the injections will give you enough pain relief to be able to participate in your pt more readily.

Carol[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]
    morphine pump

Old 03-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #3
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know because I can't get in with the physical therapist that I have seen in the past anyway. I don't want to have to break a new one in.
    Thanks again
    Lastramy

Old 03-29-2004, 07:30 PM   #4
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][FONT=Tahoma]If you are still out there, I have just found an article about epidurals that states they are terribly unsafe and that the meds used are not even FDA approved....the steroids in epiduaral injections is used "off-label". This warning was put out by the End-Depo-Now Campaign. They report 350 deaths and over l5000 reports of severe medical events.

Something for us all to think about.

Carol[/FONT][/COLOR]
    morphine pump

Last edited by carol632; 03-29-2004 at 07:32 PM.

Old 03-30-2004, 03:48 AM   #5
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

OH BOY!

I am so confused about doing this. Two docs have suggested it but I have been riding the fence for a long time! My low back pain is tolerable but is ever so increasing over time. I have been having problems for 2 years now.

I am 39 years old tomorrow and I have a very very mild case of cerebral palsy just on one side. I have never had too much trouble but then started losing range of motion and my back started to hurt. Then I got a dropped foot. I have been getting botox injections in several places but the back pain is more like an arthritis. Hurts more with weather and sitting and standing. I started celebrex and it works most of the time. I also get massages on my bad side to keep fatigue and tightness down.
    I was told an epidural block would maybe enhance the effects of the celebrex and possibly let me go longer between massages. They also aren't
    really sure if the back is aggrevating the CP or the CP is causing the back pain. I don't know what to do anymore. I really just need someone to help me through this because the stress over the decisions is really knotting up everything in my bad side.
    The CP causes too much aggrevation and complication to the case. I work full time with no restrictions but over time I think that this problem could end up causing my good side to be strained. This last sentence is my main purpose for seeking medical attention. I am trying to prevent a bigger problem but I am not sure people want to listen. I am tryingto keep myself upright in other words.

Sorry to bug you with all this but i am really frustrated right now and any and all comments are appreciated.

Lastramy

Old 03-30-2004, 06:51 AM   #6
    SpondyMom

SpondyMom HB User

I had an epidural nerve block in June of 03. It was the worst mistake of my life. The pain from it was excruciating, plus the prima donna who did it didn't give me proper pain medication and I seriously thought about suicide, the pain was so bad, as the injection seriously irritated an already inflamed nerve. Then the steriod they used screwed up my menstrual periods; I bled practically non stop for the entire summer (after having clockwork regular periods my entire life up till then). My orthopedic surgeon was concerned about my "anemia" when I had my hemilaminectomy in September! Ha!

I would never ever recommend this to anyone, especially a 40 something woman.

Old 03-30-2004, 07:22 AM   #7
    lastramy
    Veteran
    (female)

lastramy HB User

Spondymom,

Thanks for the input. Interesting about the events that happened to you.
    Are you okay now? I do hope so.

If I may ask what kind of physician did the injection and was it done as a fluoroscopic procedure?
    Having never done this before I am just not sure. This is the second recommendation being made for this procedure. I shall think some more on it.
    But hey you guys rock on this board! I am getting quick answers and this really helps because when I try to ask questions at the hospital all I get are recordings and voicemail prompts and no one ever returns my calls.
    Thanks for everything

Lastramy

Closed Thread