It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Father having extreme lower back pain.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-10-2004, 12:00 AM   #1
    WratherBsleepin

WratherBsleepin HB User
    Father having extreme lower back pain.

I just had to help my dad off of the hallway floor due to an EXTREME lower back pain. It has happened several times today. This morning he woke up complaining that his lower back was hurting a little. A while later one of these pains came and put him down for several minutes in some pretty severe pain. It's happened about 5 times today. He's had no back trouble up until today. And there are no obvious reasons for this sudden onset of back pain. He hasn't lifted anything, or done anything physical that could cause this.
    A few years ago he was diagnosed with MS. However it has never affected his back area. Only his legs, and hasn't been too bad. The doctors say he has a case that is considered rare, and the least severe.
    Automatically I am thinking the worst of the worst about this back pain he is having today.. How likely is it that the back pain has something to do with the MS.. After reading a bit, it seems his back pain is quite common and unlikely something to be concerned about, but its still a little worrying for me. He was in some MAJOR pain, which normally I would say a pulled muscle or irritated nerve in the back, but since he has MS, any thing alarms me and I fear the worst.. I'd appreciate some feedback on this, and if anyone knows what the problem MOST LIKELY is, I'd really like to hear it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 05:25 AM   #2
    dustie

dustie HB User
    Re: Father having extreme lower back pain.

hi wrather: perhaps someone will answer who has an idea of the relationship between your father's back pain and his MS. i myself don't know -- but, even though back pain is common, i would get your father checked out by a doc ASAP. severe or major pain is not normal, period; he should have this new pain diagnosed by a professional and, i hope, get some relief. good luck to you both.
    dustie

Old 04-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #3
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Tahoma]Dustie is absolutely right...your dad needs to let whoever is caring for his MS know about this. An MRI might be in order. This kind of pain should not be left unvestigated.

Good luck and please come back and let us know how he is doing.

Carol[/FONT][/COLOR]
    morphine pump

Old 04-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User

Hi, you might want to see my post, 'My Father's Kyphoplasty.' Good luck to your dad. I know it's horrible to see a parent - or any loved one - in this pain.

Old 04-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
    Amy R.
    (female)

Amy R. HB User

[QUOTE=Amy R.]Hi, you might want to see my post, 'My Father's Kyphoplasty.' Good luck to your dad. I know it's horrible to see a parent - or any loved one - in this pain.[/QUOTE]Don't just go to the PCP.

Old 04-11-2004, 07:16 AM   #6
    the hiker

the hiker HB User

It could be a kidney stone. I had one a few years ago and the pain comes on suddenly like that.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
    WratherBsleepin

WratherBsleepin HB User

He had 2 MRI's about a year, maybe less, ago. A spinal tap as well, along with every other test there is. It took about a year for the doctors to diagnose him with MS. So between the time he started having symptoms until he was diagnosed was about a 2 year period. He was diagnosed only about a year ago.
    I dont believe the test's showed any sign of back problems. That may have changed though since the time of the test.

Yesterday wasn't much better than the day before (when I posted this). He said it was feeling a little better, but as the day went on he wasn't able to walk very far without the extreme pain,which several times was severe enough to put him on the floor for a few minutes. He cant straiten his back and as long as he is sitting, or lying down, there is no pain at all, but it hurts when he gets up and tries to walk .
    Today it still shows no sign of getting better. Only a few minutes after he woke up and got out of bed he was on the floor in pain. He can only walk a very short distance ( from his room to the kitchen at most) before the pain sets in.
    When the pain comes and he has to lay on the floor for several minutes, he noticed that alot of relief comes if he gets on his hands and knees instead of lying down.
    His MS doctor gave him muscle relaxers a while back for the MS, so he has been taking them for his back. He said they seem to help out some. I asked him a little while ago if he wanted to go see a doctor tommorow and he said he's going to call his MS doctor and find out if the back trouble is due to the MS.
    Wheather it's the MS, or something else causing the pain, I just hope its only temporary and will pass quickly. Since it came on so suddenly, I can't see it being something permanant. Normally a problem that plans on staying around comes on with some less severe signs, and gradually worsens. This came full force overnight, literally. The day before the pain started, he was fine, and had no feeling of pain or tension at all, and the next morning it was there. So I'm REALLY hoping this is going to pass as suddenly as it came.

Thank's for the replies ! You people are very kind and caring. I will let you all know what his doctor say's tommorow.
    Thanks alot
    Shane

Closed Thread