It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Scoliosis Lower Back Pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2004, 01:33 PM   #1
    JodyB
    (female)

JodyB HB User
    Scoliosis Lower Back Pain

Hi everyone,
    I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in my lower lumbar when I was 14 yrs. old. I am female and am now 42. I wore a body brace for three years to try to prevent it from getting worse. It is a 29 degree curve. My question is this, I have had mild lower back spasms off and on all my life. They usually went away with back exercises, and chiropractic. I had taken Yoga classes from 2000 - 2003, but I stopped last year. For the past 6 months I have had chronic lower back pain/spasms. I take Ibuprophen (600 mgs) at night and that seems to help during the next day but around 3:00 my back starts to hurt again. When I'm on my feet for anything longer than an hour my lower back hurts. I'm starting back up chiropractic. I was wondering if there were any other scoliosis members out there that are also dealing with aging and back pain. Should I learn to live with the pain, or can this be fixed?
    -JodyB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #2
    Charlyssa
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Charlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB UserCharlyssa HB User
    Re: Scoliosis Lower Back Pain

[QUOTE=JodyB]Hi everyone,
    I was diagnosed with Scoliosis in my lower lumbar when I was 14 yrs. old. I am female and am now 42. I wore a body brace for three years to try to prevent it from getting worse. It is a 29 degree curve. My question is this, I have had mild lower back spasms off and on all my life. They usually went away with back exercises, and chiropractic. I had taken Yoga classes from 2000 - 2003, but I stopped last year. For the past 6 months I have had chronic lower back pain/spasms. I take Ibuprophen (600 mgs) at night and that seems to help during the next day but around 3:00 my back starts to hurt again. When I'm on my feet for anything longer than an hour my lower back hurts. I'm starting back up chiropractic. I was wondering if there were any other scoliosis members out there that are also dealing with aging and back pain. Should I learn to live with the pain, or can this be fixed?
    -JodyB[/QUOTE]

HI!!

I have scoliosis, too...but it wasn't diagnosed until I was about 30 ( a lot of mid back pain) so went to the Dr., had xrays. But, it was too late to doa anything about it. I have a noticeable dip to my left shoulder...and then I have the lumbar problem, too, due to one leg being a bit shorter. This puts a lot of stress on the spine especially when walking. I was given a "lift" for the shoe, but I hate wearing it, as I prefer sandals, slides, etc. So, I just limp!! Anyway, I have more mid-back pain than anything, but I have other things wrong with my back, too - degenerative disk disease (mostly C-spine) arthritis, and bilateral sacroiliitis. UGH!! Anyway, I have chronic pain so I take Tylenol 3 and Flexeril for when I'm especially bad. And every day I take Pamelor, which is an antidepressant especially prescribed for people who live and deal with chronic pain.

How long has it been since you've seen an MD? If it's been a while, if I were you, I'd see him first before chiropractic manipulation, just to be on the safe side, especially since this seems like it's back again...or, is it something different?? I know some people who have good luck with chiros, but there are some out there....well, I just think caution is in order, you know? I thought my lower back pain that started about 8 years ago was arthritis. It wasn't - I went to see an orthopedic surgeon, that's how I found out about the sacroiliitis, which, until then, I'd never even heard of!! I'm 53, and for the past 10-15 years, it's been one thing after another!! Getting old....yuck. :-) Take care!

Char

Old 04-14-2004, 07:00 AM   #3
    JodyB
    (female)

JodyB HB User
    Re: Scoliosis Lower Back Pain

Thank you for replying. I too am supposed to wear a lift on my right foot. A chiropractor who I saw about 5 yrs ago told me to stop wearing it! I'm not sure if that was a mistake or not. I did stop and now I'm thinking about putting the lift back in. I wear flat shoes as well. Anyway, I'm going to give the chiropracter a chance and see if that helps. If, in a couple months, nothing improves, then I will definitely see an MD.

Closed Thread