It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #16
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

Thanks, Lori J. I maybe should see if my Dr will order PT for me and just skip all that other. I am a bit afraid of the chiropractor anyway as I have osteoporosis as well. I certainly do not need anything broken ! I have grandkids too that I don't dare pick up . I just know that I will be down for good if I pick them up. I never dreamed I would be in this shape . Lia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 11:37 PM   #17
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=carken][QUOTE=moonlight]Peggy, when judging pain, I went to the site that Betty posted on [B]Central [/B] pain and what I thought was a ten is really a two. It is all in perspective, I guess. I think that is what the doctors are looking at. This is why they think that we overproject our pain.

Where is this site, Central Pain? I know that pain is very subjective, and that what I perceive to be a 7 or 8 might be much less to someone else, but I'm curious about this. When I have what I call a 7 or 8, I can no longer be on my feet, and I must sit in the recliner with my leg up and on a pillow . . . and it still hurts like ---- . I haven't dubbed any of my pain a 10 because that's supposed to be unbearable, and I've born it. LOL However, sometimes when the pain is so bad that all I can think of is the pain and wanting to be rid of it, then I call that a 9 or 9 1/2. I haven't had that too often. Does this make sense to anybody, or how do you guys gauge your pain?

Carole[/QUOTE]

I can't post a web site but you can surf the net using the phrase *central apin*. That should take you to sites with a definition. Central Pain involves your central nerve system, which involves your back. I thought that I had reached a 10 on the pain scale, and maybe I had, but my mind has blocked it out. After reading the sites on what central pain is and how there are no words to describe it, I know that my pain that I am feeling now is about a two in comparison. I know that the docs use the scale that they use with central pain.

When the dentist hit a nerve during a root canal, and he had not deadened it sufficiently, I knew that was a ten. I can only say that I thought that he was ripping out my soul.

Old 04-18-2004, 11:42 PM   #18
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Lia813]Thanks, Lori J. I maybe should see if my Dr will order PT for me and just skip all that other. I am a bit afraid of the chiropractor anyway as I have osteoporosis as well. I certainly do not need anything broken ! I have grandkids too that I don't dare pick up . I just know that I will be down for good if I pick them up. I never dreamed I would be in this shape . Lia[/QUOTE]

Hi Lia, I never thought I'd be like this either & I do hate being limited, as I love to do yard work too, I hate having to wait for dh to come home & dig me a hole when I want it NOW!

I forget & pick up one of the gkids & then I pay for it. It's hard not to when they have their arms outstrechted to you!

Mine is feeling better already though, worked on the exercises & iced it real good, so I can say that the PT I learned sure helps me every time & I have not had to go back & it is just over 4 years now.

Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #19
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

That encourages me , Lori, to ask for PT. I am so tired of hurting all the time and of not being able to look forward to much knowing that I will be in pain the entire time. It totally isolates me . I just stay home more and more , though it hurts here too, it is not like having to keep your game face on with the grandkids , etc. Ours live 3 hours away and we go down once a month . It is hard , all the riding and then playing with kids all day as they expect it , not having seen us for a month. As soon as I get my esophagus "fixed" I will start in on trying to see if I can get set up for PT for this back , legs and feet. The esophageal problems are all consuming at the moment though all the other pain has not gone anywhere ! I'm glad you are so much better, though I know you still have to really watch it. Lia

Old 04-20-2004, 01:56 AM   #20
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, I know you will be happy with PT, it is the best way to go. My d-in-law runs to the chiro all the time, I told her that if she went to PT and learned what I did, that she could do at home what they are charging her for & hers does not get better, they relieve her, but she does not make any progress, is always running back there. I went to chiros for years too til I herniated the disc & then I found out how much better PT is for us with chronic pain.
    I did it again tointe. Back was just feeling better & dh & I decided we better divide the water lilies in the ponds so he dug them out & I washed all them & split them. UGH. Now back to my exercises & ice. It's not as bad as the other day, I did take breaks & stretch it out & iced it right after my shower.
    You cannot give up the things you like or my feeling is what is the sense in living then. So I try to still do the things I like & also try to incorporate what I learned at PT. They did teach me how to bend when doing gardening without hurting my back, but was squating tonite & bending over (a no no) and knew I was messing up. finally sat down on a rock, I was full of mud anyway! LOL
    Three of our grandchildren live less than 5mins away but the other three are an hour away, so we don't see them as often, so like you said, when you see them, you overdo.
    I think you'll be happy when you feel you have some control over how to deal with your back. The type of PT that I was in was called mckenzie therapy. It is geared totally to the back & spine. You may want to see if they do it in your area. I was talking to a lady at a company dinner & she said she is a PT and she called it progressive therapy, I had never heard it called that, but maybe something new to look into.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:45 AM   #21
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Thanks, Lori, McKenzie or Progressive PT . I just wrote that down so I will know what to ask about. We are in rural TX so it is kinda hard to have much choice in treatment ,but I do think the hosp. or clinic here has a PT so will have to ask what type they do. I surely need to know how to bend as that messes me up everytime, that and lifting. I'll have to go thru my PCP and I'm sure I'll be seeing him again soon as my esophageal problem brought on by Fosamax is not getting a bit better. I will see then if he can get me into PT here for my back. All my esoph. stuff has to be done an 80 mile round trip away and I must find PT here as I have a hard time driving that far. My husband has to take off work to take me and miss pay etc and he is already having to do it with the esoph. Nothing is easy in this life. Glad you got the lilly pads done and got your back straightened out. Sounds like you have found the solution. As good as it gets anyway. Lia

Old 04-21-2004, 04:53 PM   #22
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Anyone had any experience with a 'nerve block', one doctor told me that might be something to consider as a last resort..........

Old 04-22-2004, 12:51 AM   #23
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=marich101]Anyone had any experience with a 'nerve block', one doctor told me that might be something to consider as a last resort..........[/QUOTE]
    Not personally, but I have talked to people from the internet that have had it done. I would imagine it would help with the pain, not cure anything, but if the pain is that bad, I would try anything.

Old 04-22-2004, 12:58 AM   #24
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Lia813]Thanks, Lori, McKenzie or Progressive PT . I just wrote that down so I will know what to ask about. We are in rural TX so it is kinda hard to have much choice in treatment ,but I do think the hosp. or clinic here has a PT so will have to ask what type they do. I surely need to know how to bend as that messes me up everytime, that and lifting. I'll have to go thru my PCP and I'm sure I'll be seeing him again soon as my esophageal problem brought on by Fosamax is not getting a bit better. I will see then if he can get me into PT here for my back. All my esoph. stuff has to be done an 80 mile round trip away and I must find PT here as I have a hard time driving that far. My husband has to take off work to take me and miss pay etc and he is already having to do it with the esoph. Nothing is easy in this life. Glad you got the lilly pads done and got your back straightened out. Sounds like you have found the solution. As good as it gets anyway. Lia[/QUOTE]

Lia, my back is still sore, it's not completely better, I just keep overdoing cause it's spring & I can get outside & do things. UGH, I should know better.
    I am working on it, just have to have some common sense & rest it a few days.
    I also have gotten my TMJ all riled up again. I didn't realize that I was gritting my teeth again in the daytime, but must be cause of the pain in my back, so now I have a sore jaw, neck & ear again! When it rains, it pours, as they say.
    What is fosamax? I have reflux too, besides everything else. LOL, I feel like I'm falling apart & I'm not THAT old yet!! Lots of us grandmas are not OLD like our grandmas were. I take nexium for that. I am a nervous person & stress over the years takes its toll on your body, I'm finding that out!
    Part of my back not getting better yet, is that I don't do the exercises all day, just at bedtime & I know I should be doing them a minimum of 3 times a day. I'll have to make myself if I want to get rid of this pain.
    Hope you find therapy closer to your home. It's hard to drive that long with a sore back. I know even riding in the car when it's sore is not easy.

Old 04-22-2004, 09:20 AM   #25
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=marich101]Anyone had any experience with a 'nerve block', one doctor told me that might be something to consider as a last resort..........[/QUOTE]

There are a lot of threads on this board that you can read about them. Go to search, then advanced. Look at nerve block and ESI.

Read the periodical, The Burton Report.

That will get you in the right direction.

Old 04-22-2004, 03:13 PM   #26
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Smile Re: Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

Hi, Lori, I'm not an OLD grandma either. I sure feel old though. Alas I am 57 but it has been a rough 10 yrs starting with Graves disease in 1994. That was the beginning and it has been one ailment after another for me. I am an anxious person as well and I think that has brought on a lot of this stuff for me. The Fosamax is a med that I took for my osteoporosis . I have that TOO . It is genetic for me as I have a sister diagnosed with it at 40 yrs old . I've been off the Fosamax and on Myacalcin Nasal Spray for the osteoporosis since early January and have had some horrid tests for this esophagus and taken LOTS of Aciphex but I'm not better . Mine is not reflux per se' rather my esophagus just plain hurts, up into my jaw and ear as well and causes tremendous chest pain with each swallow of food or water. It is getting discouraging. Sorry you have TMJ. I have a friend with it and she really suffers. I've lost count of all the ailments I have . It is just crazy . I never dreamed I would have all this stuff. I hope your back is better soon, but Spring is too good to pass up ! I'm sure we will keep over doing ! Lia

Old 04-22-2004, 05:57 PM   #27
    marich101

marich101 HB User

Moonlight.......appreciate the info................I thought relief from the pain was the goal must have missed something
    I do appreciate your input its just something I'm a little scared of and don't know anyone personally who has done it . Right now meds work but I get so sick of them sometimes. Anyway have a great one................LATER

Old 04-22-2004, 11:57 PM   #28
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Lia813]Hi, Lori, I'm not an OLD grandma either. I sure feel old though. Alas I am 57 but it has been a rough 10 yrs starting with Graves disease in 1994. That was the beginning and it has been one ailment after another for me. I am an anxious person as well and I think that has brought on a lot of this stuff for me. The Fosamax is a med that I took for my osteoporosis . I have that TOO . It is genetic for me as I have a sister diagnosed with it at 40 yrs old . I've been off the Fosamax and on Myacalcin Nasal Spray for the osteoporosis since early January and have had some horrid tests for this esophagus and taken LOTS of Aciphex but I'm not better . Mine is not reflux per se' rather my esophagus just plain hurts, up into my jaw and ear as well and causes tremendous chest pain with each swallow of food or water. It is getting discouraging. Sorry you have TMJ. I have a friend with it and she really suffers. I've lost count of all the ailments I have . It is just crazy . I never dreamed I would have all this stuff. I hope your back is better soon, but Spring is too good to pass up ! I'm sure we will keep over doing ! Lia[/QUOTE]

Hi Lia, I am sick of all my ailments too. My mom passed away almost 5 years ago at 86 and she was so healthy her whole life, was so strong & just a tiny woman, under 5 feet. I don't feel I have any of her strength. I am such a weakling & sickly all the time. It's always something & I know a doctor would probably think I was nuts or imagining all of it, but it's all real. My herniated disc is not imagined, my tmj is not imagined but I hate mentioning it to a new doctor when I go, as I think they think I'm a nutcase!!!

I attribute most of my ailments to stress/depression, except my back problems. I went to sit down in a diningroom chair right before xmas just over 4 years ago. I had this stabbing pain in the middle of my back on the right side. I thought if I went to bed & rested it would be fine by morning. Well, by the next morning I could barely get out of bed & could not straighten up. The pain was the worst I've ever experienced. It never let up, it was 24/7. My d-in-law got me into her chiro on a sunday (special favor) she worked on me & I continued with her for several weeks, she finally said she thought I had herniated the disc & she didn't feel comfortable working on me anymore. I went to my family doc & all he gave me was meds which did nothing even the pain meds didn't relieve the pain. I started to research it on the internet. More people kept telling me to get into PT or lay there & the pain will never go away. I was willing to try anything before surgery & they were right, the PT worked. It took 3 months, the girls at PT gave me a big boquet of flowers on the last day, they said I was one of the patients who had been with them the longest!!!
    I didn't expect to have these many ailments yet!!!! I try to keep positive, but my anti-depressant also quit working last summer & I've been with a new doc trying to find one that works since last Oct. so I know how you feel. It's like we can't get above these things.
    I had the test for ulcers where they put that hose type thing down your throat. I had back pain in the middle of my back for months after that test. I wonder if some of your pain isn't from the tests? I also had pain when I swallowed after that test for a long time. It's worth asking about. I think it bruises you inside~!
    I have a few more anti-depressants I can try, then I don't know what I will do.
    Thanks for keeping in touch, helps to talk to others with similar problems.
    I hope you get the esophagus thing worked out soon, I know what that pain feels like too.
    UGH.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:59 PM   #29
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=marich101]Moonlight.......appreciate the info................I thought relief from the pain was the goal must have missed something
    I do appreciate your input its just something I'm a little scared of and don't know anyone personally who has done it . Right now meds work but I get so sick of them sometimes. Anyway have a great one................LATER[/QUOTE]
    Wish I could help you, but haven't had the nerve block & don't now anyone who has. Maybe if you keep your post bumped up, someone will come on here who has had it done. I'm sure you are a bit scared, anything done to the spine area is risky & scary to me too.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:18 AM   #30
    Polaris

Polaris HB User

I have had two right SI joint fusions done and have went through just about every known practice to man to try and relieve pain. I did have nerve blocks done about 8 years ago as part of pain managment treatment. I am not sure what type you are talking about, but the ones I had, the doctor would give me something mild to put me to sleep in his office and I would get the injections around the SI joint. It would relieve the pain for several weeks. I tried this, because I was tired of taking pain relievers, muscle relaxers and an anti-depressants for back pain. I have since went off all pain killers and do not get shots anymore. I still live with pain every day. Some days are worse than others, I just have learned to cope.

I hope that you find what you need to ease your pain, as I know from experience, chronic back pain bites!

P

Closed Thread