It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 07:24 AM   #31
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

Hi, Lori, I know what you mean. I absolutely feel like a hypochondriac a lot of the time too as I never get anything that gets well or that has a cure or that needs just one course of meds and then it is over with. I get stuff that is for life and requires maintenance meds forever. It is just crazy for all this stuff to have started in my 40's. My family though is rife with autoimmune disease and I blame lots of my ailments on that .Unfortunately my mother died at a young age , 58. She was exactly 6 mos. older than I am right now ! She was not ill long, hospitalized for about 2 weeks with severe stomach pain, dehydration ,etc. That was in 1971 however and medical care was not what it is today. The official cause of death per autopsy was pseudomembraneous enteriocolitis. My dad lived to age 77 but had a lot of ailments that I have today. My brother has RA , 2 of his daughters have Hashimotos and one has Graves. My sister has Fibro. I have Graves and LS ( an autoimmune skin disorder ) , my daughter has Lupus and Hashimotos , my granddaughter has Asthma and LS and she is 7 yrs old. These are by no means our only ailments but they are all the autoimmune ones so far. As to my esophagus , I had a terrible stabbing pain in my left side of my throat for about 2 weeks after the endoscopy but all this chest and upper back pain and swallowing difficulties has been there since Jan. 1. I go for their tests, take their meds and do not get a bit better. I have more dreaded tests ahead of me with it as I can't live like this , not forever. I do not take antidepressants or anti anxiety drugs but I should be. I take so many pills I just am afraid to add more and it is all so costly. Already I take 2 for the BP, one ( nasal spray ) for osteoporosis , Vioxx for arthritis, Synthroid for thyroid , Prosom for sleep and now Aciphex and Prilosec and whatever else for Esophagus . I'm doing nothing yet for my back and legs and feet . I also have high cholesterol and cannot take statins , they almost killed my thigh muscles, so it continues to climb. Trying to get this esophagus fixed before I move on to the back but that is looking like a lost cause. Indeed, it is no wonder we are depressed and anxious. It does help to talk about it to people who understand what we are going through ! Lia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2004, 12:06 AM   #32
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, sorry to hear that you are not making any progress with the esophagus. I know how frustrating it is. So, you say the pain was before the ednoscopy? I had pain in the middle of my back for weeks, maybe months after that test. They never told me that that could happen.

My family is prone to allergies & depression/anxiety/stress. My mom had ulcers, I had ulcers & my oldest son will too if he doesn't listen to me or his wife. He is in therapy for stress. Granted he does have a very stressful job, many people depend on him doing it perfectly, I mean many.
    The therapy has helped him with the work stress & they also have 3 kids, 8, 4 & a 20 month old. They were not planning on a third, so that freaked him out. His wife was on a strong anti-biotic & didn't realize it wiped out her birth control pills. So, that's how number 3 arrived.
    He does show some OCD symptoms though, he obsesses about his looks, his hair, the house, neatness & is also gotten much worse about what he eats. Is now a vegetarian, won't eat a piece of cake or any sugar at all, drinks green tea & nothing else, well this is all good, but he does go overboard & I see red flags all over the place about it. I told him soon he'll be wearing a mask & gloves like M. J.

We all have allergies to pollen etc. my younger son has asthma & one of his twins does too. My older son still takes allergy shots. He quit them in highschool & then had to return to them in his late twenties as the allergies got so bad, he'd get so sick in the spring & fall he'd have to miss work.

Today I had a good day, I really did rest up my back yesterday & iced it & did my exercises so that is much better today & my TMJ is not as sore & the inflamation is much less today. YEAH, a good day. We have to celebrate them, you know!!!

Have you researched your esophagus problem on the net? You'd be amazed how much info you can find on anything, what did we do before the internet? That is what saved me from getting back surgery right off.

Maybe you can find some answers, you never know. Hope you have a good weekend.

Old 04-24-2004, 12:19 AM   #33
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, just thinking, if you have had a battery of tests, maybe they are looking only at the esophagus & it could be something else causing the pain. Have you thought of hiatus hernia, or even spine damage, the thorac spine can cause those same pains. What tests have you had & what exactly do the doctors look for? We can have pain in one area that is actually coming from somewhere else. Could even be muscle related. I can't remember what it is called, I want to say related pain, but I know that is not it. Just like my pain in my leg & knee have nothing at all to do with my leg & knee, but my back. My knee will actually swell up & be red & hot, but the pain is coming from my back. Worth checking into since nothing else has worked up til now. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:42 AM   #34
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Peggy,

I have spinal stenosis and have had carpal tunnel syndrome. Because the CTS wasn't taken care of in time I now have scaphoid avascular necrosis in my wrist---the bone is collapsed. Steroids also cause AVN. Can you get an MRI of your hips/wrists to check for AVN? Mine was so advanced it showed up on the x-ray. It's a rare disease---I guess I won the lottery!
    fly

Old 04-24-2004, 02:02 PM   #35
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Lori, your son and mine could be twins ! He is obsessed as well with everything being perfect. I'm afraid I am rather the same way , so I know where he got it ! He is a psychologist to boot as is his wife. He is a control freak and completely organized and a list maker extraordinaire ! He has turned vegetarian on us too since about a yr ago , I mean total vegetarian will not eat even chicken or fish . His is the animal thing, he is big into the Human Society and PETA etc. Which is fine , but he does obsess on it all. He will be 39 in Sept. Anyway on to my tests. I have had a Barrium Swallow for my esophagus which showed a big ulceration or mass. That is when they sent me for an endoscopy and there was nothing there , no ulcer, no mass , no nothing. The pain that caused me to go to the Dr in the first place for the esoph. was pain on swallowing. All of a sudden, out of the clear blue I had a pain slam me in the chest the minute I swallowed anything, even water and it would hurt to the back and eventually toward the jaw and ear, etc. That all started Jan. 1. That pain remains to this day and I have been on Aciphex since Jan. 15 and have had the Barrium Swallow and the endoscopy. They saw nothing to biopsy , nothing wrong with the esophagus. But the pain remains. The Dr told me to double up on the PPI's so I did and have for 3 weeks, no change. He says a manometry is next as he suspects esophageal spasms. He said give the doubling up of meds 3 to 6 weeks. He thinks it all stems from me taking Fosamax for 18 months as it is notorious for causing esophageal troubles. I have never had any sort of gastro disturance in my life till this. As for my back , legs and feet, I have had the PVD test where they put BP cuffs all down your legs and check for clogged arteries, all that was fine. Then they did a CT scan of my lumbar spine and it showed spinal stenosis , bulging disk at L4 and L5 and pseudoclaudication. All the lumbar stuff and sciatica and leg and foot pain has been going on for a yr and the esoph. stuff since Jan. 1. I do think that the esophagus stuff is esoph. related as it is directly involved with swallowing . Swallowing anything , any pill, any liquid, any food. What do you think now? I'll swear I just do not know where to turn next as nothing is working. Lia

Old 04-25-2004, 02:39 AM   #36
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Well, I'm certainly no doctor, but if the Fosamax is what caused it, why don't they see any irritation or anything else in the esophagus? I know, they don't know the answer. Sorry, just typing as I'm thinking....
    I think what I was trying to say, was referred pain. I had pain upon swallowing from TMJ, that is another thing to look into. Do you grit your teeth when stressed or grind your teeth? You won't believe how many things TMJ can affect. I thought I had an ear infection & a sore throat. After about a year and a half & three different doctors, we found out it was TMJ and my throat wasn't sore, the soft tissue at the back of the roof of the mouth was inflamed from the jaw nerve. I also get swollen glands all down my neck & others with TMJ have reported shoulder, back & chest pain from it. Something else to look into & it won't kill you, but the pain is just one more to deal with...
    Oh my gosh, your son is a psychologist and dwells & obsesses on things??? I guess even they may not recognize their own problems even though they treat others with the same problems. My sonwill be 38 in May. He is a perfectionist too, but often questions his decisions about work mostly, although his boss tells him he's the best in his field & right now he is the only one in the office to handle all emergencies while the boss is out of town handling another emergency. He often doubts himself about work mostly. In home life he isn't as obsessive, but at work, YES! Like I said, he does see a therapist, but you'd never catch him on a med for any of it. He doesn't like putting anything like that in his body!!! He was a runner in highschool, on the track team & I think that is when all this healthy body stuff started. He is making his son just like him though, which is bad. Now I have two obsessive people to deal with, besides myself!!!
    It took me threatening, to get him to go to a therapist, but once he went, he really likes her, said she's like talking to a grandma & she is very good at using talk therapy to help him. He also calls her from work at times & she can settle him down, which is good! Only problem is, he doesn't got regularly, he goes hit & miss & only when things already have him totally stressed. His wife is working on him to get on a regular schedule, so that is good.
    I have the same thing wrong with my back, plus the degenerative disc disease that I think most of us get with age. I think you will be pleased with PT for your back. It sure has saved me.

Hope your having a good weekend & rain free. The rain has caught up to us, wasn't supposed to rain til midnite, but rained all day Saturday which put a crimp in our outside work plans.

Old 04-25-2004, 01:01 PM   #37
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Yes Lori, my son is a psychologist and his wife is too ! I cannot imagine him as a psychologist myself but I don't tell him that. For one he has little patience with imperfection and I cannot see him dealing with folks with mental problems. His wife on the other hand is a saint. She is is so kind and calm and patient and the perfect wife and mother. Everyone who knows her says if they could think of the one person they know who is the perfect wife it is her, and that includes my own husband ! My son has seen a psychologist himself. I tell you the psychologists seem to be as nutty as the rest of us and maybe more so from listening to problems all day long ! heehee. It is no fun truly having a psychologist in the family as everything you say and do is analyzed and looked askance at. Quite often I tell him when he is being so overly analytical , that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ! I know what you mean about them making their kids that way, he has a daughter that is a perfectionist as well, cries like the world is ending if she makes a B instead of an A ! At least your son has a therapist he relates well too and feels comfortable with. I don't know that mine sees a therapist anymore, he doesn't mention it and I don't ask ! I've got a full plate up here myself with all these pains ! Ah the esophagus trouble, I just don't know. All I know is that the Barrium Swallow showed a LARGE mass or ulceration and yet the endoscopy showed nothing. Now all that time I could not swallow without bad pain , not even water and that continues to this day. I agree with you if it is caused by Fosamax then I'd say that is chemically induced and it should show some erosion or irritation or something. I don't know, I have no answers yet. I ate a banana last nite and I told my husband that I really thought I was gonna die. My stars at the pain from the chest to behind both breasts to the upper back to the arms to the throat, jaw and ears. It all went on for about 15 minutes after the last bite of banana. I won't be eating another one of those. I don't think I grit or grind my teeth unless I do it in the nite. I just don't know if TMJ might play a part or not. My sciatica was BAD yesterday too especially on the right side , but then my legs and feet hurt all day everyday but this was particularly the sciatic pain yesterday. I wonder if rain had anything to do with it. We got 5 inches of rain which we really needed but it does tend to increase my pain level. I'm in Central TX , west of Waco. What area of the country are you in ? Lia

Old 04-25-2004, 11:42 PM   #38
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Hi Lia, I wish I had more suggestions for you about the esophagus, that must be horrible not to be able to eat without pain, but also so frustrating as it seems they've done all the tests they can & find nothing. At least if they found some irritation they could give you the right meds to heal it.

It didn't rain here in the midwest today, well not here anyway, so we got some work done, but not all that we wanted to, it was chilly & cloudy. We cleaned out the shed in back, was full of yard decor & some were heavy concrete. I carried one to the front yard, knew better, but did it anyway, I hate having to ask my husband to do everything or wait on him to do it all, plus he has enough to do.. My leg is definitely burning tonite. YEP, burning down the side to the knee & I'm to tired to get on the floor & do my exercises.
    I need a shower & to go to bed. I'm pooped. I'll be glad when the spring yard work is all done & all I have to do is ride the mower around the yard.
    Son came over freaking about all he did all weekend was work in his yard, that his wife had all these plans for the yard. I told him to lighten up & quit coming over upsetting me. I said, what do you think we've been doing all weekend, I said, " you don't see me sitting on the beach in Florida, do you????" Later he came back to get his kids who were here playing with my neighbors kids & I guess my words got thru, he was in a better mood! He gets plans in his head of what he wants to do, then his wife has other plans & it messes him up mentally. It's like once he sets his mind, then there can be NO change or that just unglues him. He must do mental lists! LOL
    I'm headed for the shower, dirty, tired & sore....later.....

Old 04-26-2004, 10:15 AM   #39
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Heehee, Lori, carrying concrete lawn ormnaments. Yep that got that leg going alright. I know what you mean though , my husband works so much at his job that there is no way for him to do it all. I am very careful but still I have to tackle some jobs that I know I should not be doing. Otherwise nothing would ever get done here. I got little done in the yard this weekend with the rain, but we are always so desperately in need of rain that we welcome it. Seems we stay in a drought most of the time. I get get the roses deadheaded and the rest of my work was inside stuff. My husband did some weedeating just to kind of give us paths thru the wildflowers so we can get to the planter boxes etc. We have to let the flowers go to seed and they get way over knee high . We have to look down constantly in search of snakes ! I have come quite close to stepping on snakes several times over the years and boy wouldn't that do the leg and foot good ! I bought the weeks groceries this morning and wagged all them in . I have 3 steps to go up and down so my lower back and foot and leg are firing up. You will not believe it and I am afraid to say it for fear of jinxing it but I THINK my esophagus is a teeny, weeny bit better today. I have added a Zantac and 3 magnesium tablets to my 2 PPI's for the last 4 days and it may be just a tad better. What a handful of pills and that is just for one ailment. That is truly my most pressing ill at this time , though the shortest lived so far. It is bad though when it interferes with everything you eat or drink and is another constant pain. I hope your leg eased up and you got it exercised and iced. I'll keep you posted on the esophagus , I was losing hope and now today I think it is a tiny bit better. Oh speaking of your son freaking out when his plans get changed, mine is the same way , he has to make all the plans and it all has to come together exactly as he planned it. He called me yesterday on his way to of all places some sort of Buddist something or other to take a class on meditation . I declare he is always searching for something . Lia

Old 04-26-2004, 10:53 PM   #40
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, oh geez, don't tell my son about meditation or he'll be doing that next. I think my son is rather eccentric, sounds like yours is too, or they just dance to the beat of a different drummer. Actually, my son likes being "different"! I guess that can be good & bad...
    I did the same thing today, the grocery routine. UGH. I usually go late in the day, like around 3 pm so that just as I'm getting home, hubby gets home & helps me haul them all in. Today he was late & by the time he got home I had hauled them all in too. My back was killing me just walking the stores, but we have food again for a while.
    I wanted to ice mine tonite, but it had turned so cold out, down in the 30's at nite here again, this medwest weather kills me we can jump from 80 one day to 50 the next, which is just what's going to happen this week, they say Wed. 78, Thurs. 80 and them Friday 60's & SAt & Sun 50's again. I hate that, I think this sudden weather change hurts our backs too & my allergies are horrible too.
    That is so good that your esophagus is feeling even a tad bit better. Anything is an improvement. I can sort of understand, one of the anti-depressant meds I was trying, caused everything to taste different, I would get nauseous & also made my reflux flare up even on my nexium & pepcid. Maybe it's the zantac helping you, I swear by nexium, but I have a friend that it did nothing for, so just changing one of the reflux meds may be the answer. Can't imagine pain everytime you eat or drink. That has to be horrible.
    Can't remember, did you say you had grandchildren? Three of ours live only minutes away & the other three about an hour away. My other son is a nurse & is the one that lives an hour away. We had the oldest grandson over the weekend & then my son brought over the grand daughter, she is 4 and wanted to stay sunday & play with the little boy next door, he is the same age as her & there is no one her age in their subdivision. She is usully very pesty & I told my son, if she gets pesty, I'm calling you to come get her. I was not in the mood for her, when I'm in pain, I have little to no patience for pesty g-kids. The oldest is not pesty, he helps me a lot & is very good when he's here. Being they live under 5 mins from us, they are always in & out of here, most times I love it, but not when my back is this sore.
    Told hubby tonite, don't even talk to me, I'm ready to jump on anyone who upsets me. Told him how sore my back is right now and now my shoulder & neck have that huge knot in it. Gosh isn't it fun?????? NOT!!
    Hope my back feels better by tomorrow, I'm going to go get some ice for it right now & do it while I'm on the computer.
    talk to you later.....

Old 04-27-2004, 06:52 AM   #41
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Indeed , Lori, my son is very eccentric and enjoys being so I think. Any sort of off the wall thing there is ,he has tried it . And he takes up causes big time, does yours? He goes to political rallies and PETA protests and the like . I haven't heard yet how the Buddist thing came out, my heavens he was probably the only non Buddist there and a fish out of water. Oh my , he is interesting though , I'll give him that. Not your run of the mill kid ! It is a wonder yours hasn't struck on meditation, give him time he'll think of it and try it. Don't you hate icing your body in cold weather? Pure torture , but as good as heat feels at the time it has never helped my bones, joints, muscles, etc. like ice. And I hate to be cold, my thyroid keeps me cold all the time anyway and ice on my body in Winter is dreadful. My bragging on my esoph. was short lived, it is back in all its glory today , though it was not gone I did feel a very slight lessening of the pain. Will continue on with all the meds and hope for a miracle. I have about 2 more weeks of all these pills for it and then the Dr is gonna insist that I go for the barbaric manometry. I am a big scaredy cat and not hepped up on having a tube shoved down my nose and throat and into my stomach ! I have 4 grandchildren but all 3 hours away so I am not real handy as a built in babysitter. Good thing as I don't feel like fooling with kids . I love them dearly but I am just in too much pain to do kid stuff all day everyday . Or any day for that matter. Hope your back has calmed down from the groc hauling. We'll just keep trying to go on, I don't know what else to do. Remind me next post to tell you how I got rid of severe nasal allergies years ago. I mean bad ones that I had had at least 15 yrs. Don't know if it would work for you , tis off the wall , but anything is worth a try to get rid of that misery. Lia

Old 04-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #42
    GranEEjay8
    (female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

Hello
    I can tell you what has really helped me with the sciatic nerve problem. Ice the area for 20 minutes every hour or so for several days and I think you will be very surprised at the relief you get. The ice helps to take down the inflamation. Also, some simple stretches before even getting out of bed. One is laying on your back and pulling your toes up hold for count of 30, then relax . Repete several times and continue to increse how many you can do. Also pull your knees up, then doing one leg at a time, push out and hold for a count of 30, repete with other leg then rest and repete. Just a thought, to help you. My sister who has suffered from this for years put me onto this and it really has helped me. But in order for it to help you have to do it on a regular basis, especially the iceing. VERY IMPORTANT! Hope this helps you out. Good Luck!
    GranEEjay8

Old 04-28-2004, 11:17 PM   #43
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

I agree with vibration man, try anything before surgery, surgery should be a last option, although there are a few cases where it is the only option. Do a lot of research on the net, that's what I did.

Also, GranEEjay8 is right, icing works wonders.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:19 PM   #44
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Lia813]Indeed , Lori, my son is very eccentric and enjoys being so I think. Any sort of off the wall thing there is ,he has tried it . And he takes up causes big time, does yours? He goes to political rallies and PETA protests and the like . I haven't heard yet how the Buddist thing came out, my heavens he was probably the only non Buddist there and a fish out of water. Oh my , he is interesting though , I'll give him that. Not your run of the mill kid ! It is a wonder yours hasn't struck on meditation, give him time he'll think of it and try it. Don't you hate icing your body in cold weather? Pure torture , but as good as heat feels at the time it has never helped my bones, joints, muscles, etc. like ice. And I hate to be cold, my thyroid keeps me cold all the time anyway and ice on my body in Winter is dreadful. My bragging on my esoph. was short lived, it is back in all its glory today , though it was not gone I did feel a very slight lessening of the pain. Will continue on with all the meds and hope for a miracle. I have about 2 more weeks of all these pills for it and then the Dr is gonna insist that I go for the barbaric manometry. I am a big scaredy cat and not hepped up on having a tube shoved down my nose and throat and into my stomach ! I have 4 grandchildren but all 3 hours away so I am not real handy as a built in babysitter. Good thing as I don't feel like fooling with kids . I love them dearly but I am just in too much pain to do kid stuff all day everyday . Or any day for that matter. Hope your back has calmed down from the groc hauling. We'll just keep trying to go on, I don't know what else to do. Remind me next post to tell you how I got rid of severe nasal allergies years ago. I mean bad ones that I had had at least 15 yrs. Don't know if it would work for you , tis off the wall , but anything is worth a try to get rid of that misery. Lia[/QUOTE]

Lia, I'd like to hear what you did to get rid of nasal allergies! Off the wall or not!
    Saw pdoc today, he is trying me on yet another AD med. I'm hoping, still haven't lost hope.
    I came home not feeling well, well actually didn't feel too good when I left & it's an hour each way. Came home & thought I just didnt' get enough sleep, so laid down for about 2 hours. Woke up with a horrible headache & diahrrea & fever. Not sure what's going on. Maybe all nerves. Who knows??
    Still don't feel great, not going to be up too late tonite.
    How are you doing?

Old 04-29-2004, 12:41 PM   #45
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Oh Lori sounds like maybe you picked up a bug on top of everything else. Probably at the Drs office or the pharmacy . That is where all the sick folks are and where we hang out ! I'm doing better, fingers crossed here, with the esophagus. The 6 pills a day I am taking for it MAY be working. How nice that would be after 4 solid mos. of 24/7 pain with it and I am talking heart attack strength pain. Now the back, legs and feet are another matter completely. Mostly the legs and feet. Oh they hurt so bad. I can't find any shoes I can stand , barefoot for sure I can't do. Sigh. I think it is time to do SOMETHING, was gonna finally go to the chiropractor but need to make a list of all my ailments and meds before I go , so I need to do that first. Then I think about 5/8 when we go to San Antonio for a weekend of grandkids and think no I don't want to go before that and maybe be even worse off. Can you tell I am putting it off , as usual?! Soon , though, soon. Now that the esophagus MAY be getting a little better it is getting time to concentrate on the pseudoclaudication and spinal stenosis. Ok about my allergies. I had them BAD for oh for a good 15 yrs. Constantly sick, year round, regardless of the season or pollen or whatever. Went to ENT's and Allergists and all that and took this and took that and still always sick. Eyes watering and feeling like sand in them. Nose alternately stopped up or running. Hoarse all the time, coughing , sore throats, low grade fever , just sick all the time. Going to work everyday as I had no choice, a divorced mom at the time with 2 kids to raise. In desperation I went to a chiropractor for mos. Did no good. Last resort an acupuncturist. I am terrified of needles but I would have done anything to rid myself of it. Anything. I went to him twice a week for maybe 2 mos. Out of pocket of course , but whatever. I saw no improvement. I stopped after 2 mos. and resigned myself to life long misery with it and it went away. Stopped. Completely gone. Still gone today. I feel sure the acupuncture finally kicked in as I was doing nothing else differently. For the most part it has never come back and that was almost 20 yrs ago. I have the occasional sneeze or runny nose but not totally ill ever with it like before. That was in San Antonio, now that we live in rural TX there is no acupuncturist or I would be there today for the esoph. and legs and back ,etc. Have you tried it ? Can you get to one? If so make an appt today. Now it worked for me, however as you know not all things work for all people. But I would definitely give it a try. It saved me , honestly it did as I was at the end of my rope. Let me know. It might be the answer, nothing else has been . Lia

Closed Thread