It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #46
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

Thank you GranEEjay8 and vibration man. I am doing the icing and though I detest anything cold I agree that it works better for me than heat. I will also try those exercises, I am sure tired of having leg and foot pain all the time, sitting, standing, walking, etc. and getting up so stiff in the morning that I walk like Frankenstein for some time. My legs and feet hurt worse than my back though I realize it is referred pain. Thank you for your advice. I'm gonna try it.Lia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 10:11 PM   #47
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Hi Lia, no I had not thought about accupuncture for allergies & sinus. I have had them since childhood & usually sickest spring & fall. My son is the same way, on allergy shots still. My other son has asthma, so it definitely is in our genes.

I do not know if there is one around here, never checked.

I wonder if that is what kicked yours & to work for 20 some years, that is amazing.

I felt horrible when I got up today, fever & chills. Got to feeling better by afternoon & didn't feel too bad at all, but by 7 p.m. the fever came back, so I'm definitely not over it yet. Could just be a good allergy attack, all the trees are budded & the tree pollen is very high, but I don't feel as bad as last nite, which is good.

I have been icing my back while on the computer at nite & it's made a world of difference, I think it's helped a lot when I've been working in the yard all day.

I am so glad that you are feeling improvement in your esoph. That is great news, I know 24/7 pain, I had it with my herniated disc. It causes depression, hopelessness & just plain not wanting to do a thing & can't enjoy a thing.

I hope you get that worked on soon too. Sounds like you are going to finally get over this one hurdle.

I have been buying areosole shoes, not sure of the spelling but they have great support for my back. They are really cute shoes & not like orthopedic or anything. Now, my d-in-law swears by them too. She bought one pair & liked them so much, she went out & got another. Maybe look at some shoes with soft, soft insoles & support.
    I always have to be aware of how they shoes feel when I walk as bad ones can affect my back so much.

Are your feet swollen or just sore? If swollen, maybe one of the meds you are taking could be the cause.

Let me know how tomorrow is, sounds like you have something to celebrate this weekend!!! Let's hope the improvement continues!!! later gater, lori

Old 04-29-2004, 11:11 PM   #48
    missyloo

missyloo HB User

I had horrific sciatica pain with L4/L5 herniated disc. Took a while to get CT and MRI (had HMO), so I was in pain for a long time. Nothing the doc tried worked. Vicodin made me sick and Tylenol with Codeine took the edge off for about three hours. I could stand for barely 5 minutes. Neurotin didn't work and some other med that started with an "A", didn't work. I lived with heat pads and cold packs (did both) on my back. So much so that my skin is scarred. I was in so much pain that doc came in the exam room and I was curled in a fetal position on the table. I was in too much pain to sit up. Doc finally sent me to spine doctor. Spine doc gave me a script for Indomethicin (Indocin) and within 3 days my pain was relieved to tolerable. I was in horrible pain for two months prior to that. I don't know how I didn't go out of my mind. The nerve was pressed so long that I still have some numbness in my foot and still have a slight limp. I can no longer run. I am messed up. My back still aches but is very tolerable. I know your pain and I hope you feel better real soon.

Old 04-30-2004, 12:17 AM   #49
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=cec]I had horrific sciatica pain with L4/L5 herniated disc. Took a while to get CT and MRI (had HMO), so I was in pain for a long time. Nothing the doc tried worked. Vicodin made me sick and Tylenol with Codeine took the edge off for about three hours. I could stand for barely 5 minutes. Neurotin didn't work and some other med that started with an "A", didn't work. I lived with heat pads and cold packs (did both) on my back. So much so that my skin is scarred. I was in so much pain that doc came in the exam room and I was curled in a fetal position on the table. I was in too much pain to sit up. Doc finally sent me to spine doctor. Spine doc gave me a script for Indomethicin (Indocin) and within 3 days my pain was relieved to tolerable. I was in horrible pain for two months prior to that. I don't know how I didn't go out of my mind. The nerve was pressed so long that I still have some numbness in my foot and still have a slight limp. I can no longer run. I am messed up. My back still aches but is very tolerable. I know your pain and I hope you feel better real soon.[/QUOTE]

You should look into PT for your back. It did wonders for mine. I was in 24/7 pain for over 3 months, went to PT & that was just over 4 years ago.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 AM   #50
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Lori, I hope you are feeling better this morning. Your whole illness is probably brought on by all these allergens in the air from the pollen. Pollen is all over eveything outside. I just had to go out and repair damage from an armadillo that came in the nite. They are the biggest pests and dig up and tear up like you cannot believe. Somehow the thing managed to get up in the 3 ft raised planter boxes around our deck and made hash of some miniature roses and Gerbera daisies and dug itself a BIG tunnel to under our deck. I walked all around the yard with a big stick in case I ran into the #$%# thing. I repaired and salvaged what I could but it will be to do over again . He'll be back. He dug all around several trees and in just random places in the yard as well. We go thru this every year and that is why we now have raised beds. We did not think the unweildly creatures could get up in there. Wrong. That didn't help my back either, doing all that work bending over . My esophagus is nothing to write home about but I do feel a lessening of the pain , I really do. I will continue to take this concotion of meds and hope that someday it might go away. That is just far fetched but even manageable would do. Well seriously the acupunture cured me of allergies. Not temporarily better, cured. And I was worst case scenario. If you can find one . Go. It can't hurt anything , just your wallet. It saved my sanity honestly , I was sick everyday all day and had been thru every kind of Dr. Lia

Old 05-02-2004, 12:34 AM   #51
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, gotta make this short, as I'm way past my bedtime & exhausted. We have racoons that do that here. They are destructive creatures for sure & then also the baby rabbits who always make their home under my decks, eat every new flower that comes up before it has a chance.

My hubby, dinlaw & I all have this, I think it's a virus. We didnt' go out to eat for sons bday, we are all too sick. We all have the diahrrea, plus headaches & fevers & today I had the burning pain, like when my ulcers were bad, so I started on my pepcid 3 times a day & a bland diet. All I've eaten is some toast, some crackers & some oatmeal today. I didn't have the diah. today, so maybe that is helping.

We did get to open his presents & I had made a cake, which everyone ate with fear!!! LOL
    We were all afraid we'd be running into each other running to the bathroom. So far the cake has stayed down.
    We have postponed our dining out til next weekend, probably Sat. as the restaurants will be packed on sunday.
    Hoping to bring our boat home tomorrow to clean it this week & put it in the water at the marina next sunday.
    The weather looks like warming up after monday & all the week, so that is making me happy.
    Talk to you later, lori

Old 05-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #52
    aj2000

aj2000 HB User

I Agree With Everyone About Geting A Second Mri. Alot Of Changes Can Happen In A Year. My Problems Have Been Going On For A Year Too. It Can Be Frustrating. Let Me Know What You Decide.

Old 05-02-2004, 01:49 PM   #53
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Sorry ya'll are all sick, Lori. At least you know it has to be a virus and not just some new ailment you are saddled with. Postponing the dinner had to be done. Surely by next Sat. you will all be over it. What misery. The boating sounds fun, my husband would love that. He loves the water. We go to the Texas Gulf Coast a couple of times a yr for a week and he does deep sea fishing and all that. I just enjoy the weather and the beauty of the tropical plants and read lots of books. Usually we go in April and Sept. as we have a friend who has a 2nd home down there, a beach house and we get it for free ! But this yr April was too busy at his work so we will just go in late Sept. We have to dodge hurricanes during that season though. We'll go to San Antonio next Sat. and come home Sunday. Our monthly visit with the grandkids. I'm feeling better today, esoph, back , legs and feet. Not good but just a bit better. I had forgotten to answer you about the swollen feet. No , mine are not swollen. Just very sensitive all over but hurt particularly on the bottoms of them. So sensitive in fact that I am constantly aware of my shoes and socks. I feel them on my feet and notice them all the time. It is is a werid feeling. Supposedly that is from the pseudoclaudication as is the calf pain , all from the spinal stenosis. The foot pain probably started a couple of yrs ago and the the calf pain a yr ago. No relief yet. Though it all comes from my back, my back does not hurt as much as the other. My esophagus is better. Maybe , just maybe , I will be able to avoid that manometry. I don't know yet. Hope ya'll get to feeing better. Lia

Old 05-02-2004, 02:14 PM   #54
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Hi aj2000 & CEC , I had a CT scan in Nov. so I suppose not a lot has changed with me. I just have gotten no relief from this unending pain. It took so long for the Dr to even recommend a CT scan as my back did not hurt. Not for the longest time, it was just my calves and feet. I went to a massage therapist during this time and while it felt good it did not help and in fact after going once a week for a month I got that low back ache. She never touched my spine but in all the pushing and pulling of the legs and feet it brought out the back pain . I told the Dr all that and that is when he said that strangely enough, most likely my legs and feet got the pain from my back before my back actually hurt. Sure enough that was the case. The CT scan showed bulging disk between L4 and L5 and spinal stenosis and pseudoclaudication. His suggestions were chiropractic, a short course of prednisone or injections. I'm gonna try the chiro first. He never even mentioned PT. I was going to start in on that the first of the year but have been sidelined by severe esophageal problems and am just now beginning to get a little relief from that. So I guess it is time to get to work on the back, legs and feet. Good luck to ya'll too. Lia

Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 AM   #55
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

[QUOTE=Lia813]Sorry ya'll are all sick, Lori. At least you know it has to be a virus and not just some new ailment you are saddled with. Postponing the dinner had to be done. Surely by next Sat. you will all be over it. What misery. The boating sounds fun, my husband would love that. He loves the water. We go to the Texas Gulf Coast a couple of times a yr for a week and he does deep sea fishing and all that. I just enjoy the weather and the beauty of the tropical plants and read lots of books. Usually we go in April and Sept. as we have a friend who has a 2nd home down there, a beach house and we get it for free ! But this yr April was too busy at his work so we will just go in late Sept. We have to dodge hurricanes during that season though. We'll go to San Antonio next Sat. and come home Sunday. Our monthly visit with the grandkids. I'm feeling better today, esoph, back , legs and feet. Not good but just a bit better. I had forgotten to answer you about the swollen feet. No , mine are not swollen. Just very sensitive all over but hurt particularly on the bottoms of them. So sensitive in fact that I am constantly aware of my shoes and socks. I feel them on my feet and notice them all the time. It is is a werid feeling. Supposedly that is from the pseudoclaudication as is the calf pain , all from the spinal stenosis. The foot pain probably started a couple of yrs ago and the the calf pain a yr ago. No relief yet. Though it all comes from my back, my back does not hurt as much as the other. My esophagus is better. Maybe , just maybe , I will be able to avoid that manometry. I don't know yet. Hope ya'll get to feeing better. Lia[/QUOTE]

Hi Lia, well I am better today, no diahrea so that is good. I think it was a 3 day virus. My hubby & d-in-law are a day behind me, so they should feel better soon.
    I actually ate real food & kept it with me! YEAH!
    Try icing your back, it may help relieve the leg & foot problem. You may have an inflamation of a nerve in your back, my back never hurt, it was the nerve passing over the hip & I had pain in that area, down the outside of my thigh to the knee. Many people say their backs don't hurt so they don't realize the pain is from the back.
    I really overdid today. I ironed 16 shirts for my younger son. His wife doesn't iron, says she doesn't know how!!!! I bet she could LEARN!!! They were all dockers & all 100% cotton. Figured I'd help him out, or he would have had to iron all of them. I also cut our yard & the neighbors yard, her hubby had a stroke 3 years ago & just got out of the hospital with pneumonia which is a common thing for him with his swallowing & breathing problems. At least I have a riding mower, no way could I push a mower, haven't been able to for years with this back.
    I also got the whole garage cleaned up from the garage sale & it is back in order. OUr boat is here in the driveway, hubby started cleaning it, says it's really dirty from dust.
    The marina was trying to talk us into a houseboat, we went inside one to look at it today. It was very tempting. Had a livingroom, dining area, kitchen with full size fridge, oven, stove, microwave, two bathrooms with showers, a master bedroom & two more bedrooms. Furnace & central air. You should have seen the motors. They were like 3 times the size of a car motor.
    It was gorgeous but way too expensive for us & also, costs about 700 to put gas in it!!! We may look for a used one in a few years as the kids get bigger. I'd love to have one, we could be stay overnite on it even in the spring when it's not that warm out & take our dogs with too. I imagine we'd have a few gkids there too! LOL
    I passed out about 8pm tonite, laid down to rest my back & watch tv & fell asleep & slept til 3 am. Now it's 6 am & I'm still up!! UGH, like naps, but they mess up my hours.
    We had a frost, yep, they were predicting 32 for a low & we got it, just looked out & the grass is covered with frost, so I bet it zapped a bunch of my flowers! I have flowers I ordered waiting to go out, but may have to wait til tues. as now they are saying 32 for a low tonite too.
    Well, I better get back to bed.. I'm so glad things keep getting better for you, maybe it will be baby steps, but anything when it's 24/7 pain, is an improvement!! Keep in touch... lori

Old 05-03-2004, 12:52 PM   #56
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

IRONED 16 shirts, Lori ????? Had I done that I would be in my grave now ! Lol. It is no surprise you passed out ! Of course the DIL does not know how to iron nor does she want to know. Oh how funny. My daughter is like your DIL , anything she can pass off on her husband to do she does it. The roles are reversed now or at the least equal. Not like you and I had it . My SonIL is as good a mother as she is , I tell him that all the time. He has tended those kids , bought as many groceries, cooked way more meals , etc. than she ever has. She does work harder at her job I think than he does but believe you me she cracks the whip at home and he jumps. And likes it ! That is the thing with her , she charms her way into getting him to do it all and like it too. That is what I cannot figure out. She didnt learn it from me. Lol. And then you mowed 2 yards even on a riding mower that would be hard for me, but then mine would be a hot , dusty job and you have COLD weather. Brrrrrrr, I'd rather be hot anyday. That houseboat sounds like a dream. Oh I would LUV that , but as you say $700 just for gas , let alone the cost of the boat would put a stop to my dream , then and there. Maybe later a used one yes. That sounds so relaxing and like so much fun. I'm sure glad you are feeling better from the bug but no telling how bad your back is now after all that work. At least now you can eat and get up a little strength. I'm better, esoph. wise, still popping 6 pills a day for it but I believe it is better. Whew, I hope I have dodged the manometry bullet. I don't like the sounds of that. I should ice my back , it is 82 now , I guess that is warm enough for me to stand ice. I like it hot, in the 90's !! I'm serious, ever since my thyroid went nuts in 94 I have been cold. Lia

Old 05-03-2004, 08:13 PM   #57
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

LIA, my son cooks too! She doesn't work either. But she has 3 kids just under 4. I guess things are different now. My dad cooked when my mom was sick or something, plus he thought nothing of cleaning or doing laundry, but it was always split evenly.

I worked in the yard all day. Had one more flower bed to clean out. I have one I made by the street lite which is between my yard & the neighbors & we asked them if we could put it in & put mulch there, it's a narrow strip that is their property & the rest is our yard & it was a pain for them to cut, so I just mulched most of it & put flowers by the street lite pole, well that still wasn't cleaned out of dead flowers & leaves. So, that is done & then I hauled black dirt bags to the back yard & turned over a small area, worked in some peat moss to plant my acorn squash. I'm not much good with vegetables, good with flowers, but not veggies. But, I love acorn squash & have some plants started inside & going to see if I can get them to grow & produce. I tried some outside from seed last year & as soon as they came up, the rabbits ate the leaves.
    So, I figured if I could start them inside & they were bigger when I put them out, that the rabbits may not eat them.
    It was about 53 here today, but supposed to continue to get warmer all week. I love 90's too. It could be 90 everyday. My back is killing me, not from the yard work, but our indoor pond was leaking & we had to do a quick change, had to move pond plants from two big tubs we had them in outside & when I bent over to put them in one of the ponds outside I did a number on my back. Here I was careful all day & hurt it in a rush. So, I'm icing again. I will do some exercises in a bit & hope to get it back in shape again.

I'm so happy about your meds working, I bet you are relieved that finally something is working. It's so frustrating & depressing to keep trying with no results. I went thru that for over a year trying to find out why I kept having ear pain & no infection. Finally it was diagnosed at TMJ, so I know what you are going thru. I was in pain all the time from that too.

What is a manometry? I'm assuming a type of test. Doesn't sound like fun, but had never heard of it. Whatever it is, I'm glad you are getting better & don't have to have it. I really think you're solving this esoph. thing, with improvement everyday,that is good news.

Old 05-03-2004, 11:42 PM   #58
    GranEEjay8
    (female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

Hello, bustout123,
    I'm quite new to the boards and am finding it so helpful to realize there are a lot of people in the same boat as you are and that a little help and encouragement help so much. I am just at six months post op and I started having the pain you have discribed. Surgery, by the way was fusion and rods from T10-L5. When I went in to see my surgeon for my six month check-up I told him about it and he said it was probably siatic and we would have to do more testing to be sure. I elected to hold off on that for awhile , 3 back surgeries in 3 years was enough. Anyway, the pain was terrible and when I would try to get up the pain would just about put me on the floor. Talked to my sister and she told me she had the siatic nerve problem and her doctor told her what to try and it is so simple and really does help if you do it regularly. ICE your back every hour for 20 minutes and also do some stretches to pull the muscels in your legs. I do that before I even try to get out of bed in the mornings. It took about 10 days or so and for the most part I have very little pain, still numbness in the foot but I can live with that. Hope you give it a try. Good luck! I do hope this helps you as much as it did me. What it is, is the ice helps take down the inflamation. Again, Good Luck!
    GranEEjay8

Last edited by GranEEjay8; 05-03-2004 at 11:51 PM.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:15 AM   #59
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Lori, I do not see how you did all that yard work. I deadheaded roses yesterday and they are in raised beds but I had to lean over. I had to straighten up every few minutes to get it done. Boy my lower back hurt trying to do that. But it is not hurting today , so no real harm done I hope. Yep you hurt yourself rushing that is when it really happens. I try very hard not to get in a hurry as for one I am so afraid of falling. With this osteoporosis I could break a bone easily and being laid up with a broken bone is surely not my idea of fun. Especially with my husband gone from home 12 hours a day. Oh I don't know about my esophagus today. It is rather back to that feeling of a knife stabbing me in the throat on the right side but still the pain in the chest upon swallowing is better so I'll take that. How I hope it becomes more tolerable within the next few weeks or I guess I will have to do the manometry. We'll have to go to Temple to have it done, 40 miles to our south . My husband will have to take off work to take me a I hate driving on those freeways. He doesn't get paid when he doesn't work, etc. so it is a hassle. Anyway I will have to have a tube shoved down my nose, and into my throat on into my stomach , with no sedation ! It lasts an hour and during it I have to wet (water ) swallow and dry ( saliva ) swallow so that they can measure how the muscle in the esophagus is working. Doesn't that sound like fun?! Can you just imagine how the gag refex will kick in with that? That is why I am really doing everything I can think of to improve here. I do not want to have that test. The endoscopy was no picnic but this is even worse. And then the treatments for esophageal spasms are even worse than the tests. I won't even tell you about them until I find out if I have to have this test and what it shows. I dare not even think of it yet. Hope your back is better . Lia

Old 05-04-2004, 08:59 PM   #60
    rmb340

rmb340 HB User

Hi, I've been there with the back pain and sciatica and it's not fun! I just turned 23 in April and this July will be 2 years since I had my surgery. For about 2 years before I had my surgery I was in so much pain I didn't know what to do. And it took me quite a while before I would go to my doctor. When I finally did go to my Dr. she said "I hope it's just sciatica, and not a herniated disk" Well, it turned out to be a herniated disk, actually 4. The worst one was L5/S1 which I guess affects most people, because that is where the most wear and tear is. I found out that I had that many herniated disks after having and MRI. They said that L5/S1 was the worst and that I should go to PT. Going to PT hurt even more. It didn't help me at all. So I kind of gave up on that. It was so bad that I couldn't even stand or walk for more than 5-10 min. and it hurt really bad to sit or even drive. In the morning when I would wake up I would have to lie on one side, and then flip over to my other side before I could even get out of bed, and that would take about 20 min. After a while my boyfriend realized that my hips were not straight, one side was higher than the other. Also, one day when I was shaving my legs in the shower I realized that my leg was numb! So, after seeing many Doctors, and getting no where I decided to do my own research. I bought a book on sciatica, and looked stuff up on the web. Every day for 2+ years I had the worst pain ever. It was miserable and I had to do something about it. I ended up having two cortisone shots (steroids) in my lower back to see if that would help the pain. It did help to lighten it a little, but I would not recommend getting one if you don't have to, they didn't help that much. Finally I saw a back surgeon. He actually listened to me and didn't come back with a rude remark, like one Dr. did by saying it was all in my head. He gave me x-rays, examined me, and basically told me that I could either live with the pain for the rest of my life or have surgery. So I chose surgery. And it wasn't all that bad. It was the first surgery I have ever had, so it was a little scary for me, but I made it. I was laid up for about 3-Weeks. But the day after I had surgery when I was almost back to myself after having anesthesia, the pain was completely gone! I could have cried, it was the best feeling not being in pain from a pinched nerve!
    Ok, so that was my long story! I would reccomend having an MRI and seeing a specialist. If your pain hasn't gone away with PT and taking an anti-inflamatory there could be something more going on, and it could get a lot worse if it's not taken care of. I lived on advil and that helped me a lot to deal with the pain.
    I hope you feel better soon!

Last edited by moderator2; 05-05-2004 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Do not post your email address. Please carefully review the Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you.

Closed Thread