It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #106
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User
    Re: Siatic Pain is killn me. Can you Help?

Lori, I am just now on here and see what a horrid time you have been having. What a catch 22 you have. The chiro helps one thing and hurts another. I am sooooo glad you were able to get into the Dr today and get a script for PT . So you are starting it tomorrow. Is it far for you to have to drive ? How often will you have to go, do you have any idea? Thank goodness ,now maybe you can get on the road to recovery rather than lose the summer to that pain. This back stuff is something else. Just ruins your life . I am anxious to see if you see any results tomorrow even or will it take a few times ? I am back from the chiro and he is pleased that my left leg has become less painful while seated at least. He says that he is gonna get me as healthy as he can with the problems we have to work with. He says if what he is doing does not help enough then he will try other things , that he has many treatments he can try. I'm encouraged that maybe I can improve at least some further. I'll take any improvement . Whew , it is costly though with no ins. covering it. He will be on vacation all next week and I hope it won't set me back . At least I will save money next week ! My next appt is Tues. 6/8 at 1pm. I hope I can make it that long without him. I am being extremely vigilant and doing my part. Sitting as properly as possible , no crossing the legs, doing my 8 minute walk and stretching and deep breathing. I am hoping for more improvement for us both, we just have got to get better. Got too much to do and too much we want to do. We are way to young for our lives to be over from pain ! Check in with me and let me know how you are even if you are only able to type a short note. You're in my thoughts, friend. Lia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #107
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, the PT is in the next town which is about 10 mins away, same place I went 4 years ago. I will be going 3 times a week for a month & then they will let my doc know if I need more. I don't expect much from tomorrow, but at least I'm getting started & maybe they can at least tell me what to do as I'm in the catch 22 with both things inflamed. They do a terrific massage there, at least that will help me feel much better, a really deep muscle one, plus I suspect I am having muscle spasms in my back & just them working on that will help. It took them a month to work out the spasms last time, but I was much, much worse then, at least I'm getting in before it gets that bad again.
    I am glad the chiro is helping you, i know it's expensive, but getting rid of pain is sometimes worth it. We have a co-pay on everything so I'll have a hefty bill at therapy as I did last time. Unless they are under our PPO, our insurance now only pays 75% instead of 80%. I don't think they are in our PPO, but I like them there & I know they did me good 4 years ago & it's close to home.
    What did he say about the vinegar irritating your esoph?
    I was up & about a bit tonite, we had the oldest grandson & his younger sister for a few hours & for supper & boy did I feel it when they left. I was very sore, had to lay down on the heating pad again. I'm sick of laying, it's getting old already. Once I start therapy I won't be laying much, they will have me doing things to help this & I will be more mobil.
    The g-kids just don't understand pain, even though they know it when they are sick, it's hard for them to relate to our pain. I hate to miss out on seeing them, so like you, i pay the price afterward. Our oldest grandson usually stays every sat. nite with us overnite & we haven't had him lately due to me being sick with the sinus that one week & now my back, so I really miss him. He's the one I watched everyday til he started school, so he's my baby!!! He looks so grown up at 8, I told him to quit growing up on me!!!
    Not sure about the weekend now, the stupid weather is now saying bad storms, I wish once they could get it right & not be changing it every hour of every day..
    Well, maybe by the weekend it will say "sunny & hot"!
    It was supposed to be rain free all day saturday, now they are saying rain in the morning, which translates to rain in the afternoon, as they are always wrong about when it will get here!
    My d-in-law has that icky thing back again, flu like, diah. & then tonite while we had the kids my son called & asked if my hubby could bring the kids home as she was vomitting. She's had this on & off for almost 2 months now. I had it & my hubby had it but we got over it. She needs to see a doctor but doesn't have a family doc. Only her ob doc & then the kids pediatrician, so she is going to have to find a family doc for herself. This has hung on too long. She's not pregnant, my hubby keeps teasing her,but she just had her tubes tied about 3 months ago & she says NO she is not pg.
    I'll check back, maybe you're still up. curious to see what the chiro said about your esoph. Is it still improving?

Old 05-28-2004, 09:11 AM   #108
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Well , Lori , the chiro did not say much about my esoph. Said that it must not be ready yet for the vinegar so to continue the PPI's at 2 per day but that he hoped to eventually get me off of them. Is the esoph improving still? I'd say yes though it is still there, the pain is different more to the right side behind the breast and thru to the right shoulder blade, just underneath. Not square in the chest and radiating all over like it was and not such intense pain. I am on Prlosec OTC now twice per day rather than the expensive prescription meds . I cannot go that $50 co pay for 30 pills any longer not with all the other prescription meds I have to take for the osteoporosis , high BP, arthritis and thyroid. This time with the chiro treatment I was really hurting last nite and though I felt better this morning about an hour after I got up ( we get up at 4:30 ) , I decided to go back to bed at 8 AM , just because I can, heehee, and when I got up at 10 I don't feel much pain relief. I am always extremely stiff when I get up and walk like Frankenstein. Have done one of my stretches today and will do another before I go on the 8 minute walk , then another later today. I am still hopeful but kind of discouraged. We are just not a bottomless pit of money here and this looks like a long haul. I'm so glad you are back into the PT and as you say won't feel better after one treatment but will learn what things to do at home for it and eventually they will get you to where you can half way enjoy things. I know you miss the grandkids so much , they don't understand why we are not up and at em. We will be going to SA the weekend of 6/5 and boy do they have a full day for us and that is after the 3 and 1/2 hour drive there. At this point I am not looking forward to it and will not be seeing the chiro until after that. I am hoping for a miracle here ! It is such a shame that what should be fun things are to be dreaded because of pain. Maybe your DIL has Crohns or IBS? Boy that is fun too. NOT. Let me know how PT goes. Lia

Old 05-28-2004, 10:05 AM   #109
    mlh11350
    (female)

mlh11350 HB User

I was digging up a bush, when I stomped on the shovel it must have hit a rock. Extreme pain up my left leg. This was in March. 2 weeks later. I had x-rays and mri done on my knee,which shows nothing. They did a mri on my back,in which the lost the mri, but notes says there are a couple problem. It kills me to set or lay, of course standing for prolong periods. The only way I can get relief is to put the edging of a small pillow under my right hip and it eases the pain. At times.
    I have taken several different medicine. Muscle relaxer,Steriods,Bextra, different pain medicine,which does not help at all.
    Now the Dr thinks it maybe a dislocated disk against the scratic nerve.
    Anyone know what it might be?
    Mary

Old 05-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #110
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, I wish you had PT near you. I was there an hour and a half. They do so much more, first the evaluation is unbelievable. They test you every which way, but they know how to do it to not hurt you at all.
    Then he worked on my lower back, well it was NOT sciatica, it's my hips out of place. YEP! I have NO pain there now at all. He said I wouldn't be able to do my exercises yet for the disc, so he worked on that too & the burning pain is gone from my thigh & knee. My pain has gone from about an 8 to a 1 1/2 in one visit.
    If the chiro is making you sore, then maybe it's not the thing for you. Mine helped at first & then with each visit I got worse & worse. This PT place I go to is fabulous. Same one where I went 4 years ago. They seem to know how to fix anything.
    Would your insurance pay for PT? Mine is paying 85%. Yep, they checked into it & they are not on our ppo, but they said our insurance said they would do the 85%, don't ask me why, maybe they don't have a PT in this area on our ppo. I'm not asking why, just glad they are doing it.
    I will be going 3 times a week, they gave me a schedule. Tues, Thurs & Fridays. Now I won't see them til next tuesday but gald I got in today & didn't have that pain to deal with thru the holiday weekend.
    I always have one pain to replace another though. Now I have a horrible sinus headache the kind you get in your eyes. Haven't had one for about a month, my d-in-law has been having them all along lately. She said she felt better today, but I told her she needs to get checked out by a doc. She is still saying it's a virus, but she's had it WAY too long. I'm worried about her. She is like the daughter I never had & her parents have little to do with their kids, in fact they moved to Arkansas & only come here to visit when it's convenient for them. They are very selfish people. They have a daughter in a wheel chair, she was paralized in a car wreck, thank GOD she is married as they would never take care of her. She had surgery on a sore she developed from being in the wheel chair all the time & she needed them to come help her & they refused, said they had too many social commitments! good one, huh??? I can't understand people like that, so my d-in-law & I are very close since her own parents are not around. They pay little if any attention to the g-kids when they do come visit, they act like they are a nuisance & also like my d-in-law is their hostess. They expect 3 meals a day, they come & go as they please & my d-in-law has made meals & they never show up for them. My son gets furious about it. My d-in-law is too good hearted, but lately I've noticed that she has little patience with them anymore & is starting to speak up about things, about time!
    It looks like sunday may be a wash for our boating, supposed to be heavy strong storms here, tomorrow looks ok, but cool, I'd rather it be hot when i'm on the boat. Monday just a chance of rain & a bit warmer, so we may get out on the boat monday. That's ok, my hubby has to replace break pads on my van so if we don't go sunday, he can get that done. I've been watching the nba playoffs, i like basketball, but not particularly the pros, til playoff season. We go to the local highschool games in the winter, those are always fun & my g-son loves to go with us. Well, that is about it, I feel much better just knowing I'm in very capable hands & also that I did not let my back get as bad as 4 years ago. That time it took 4 weeks to feel any relief.
    I'm glad your esoph is doing better, that must be a good sign that it is only on one side now. Whatever is working, keep it up. Talk to you tomorrow nite. gentle hugs, lori

Old 05-29-2004, 10:03 AM   #111
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Lori , what a miracle for your pain level to go down so much in just one visit. One good thing is you went to work on it right away instead of putting things off like we do. As soon as you saw the chiro was not geting it you were off to PT. Yes my chiro is still making me sore. I do still have some relief in my left calf while seated which is a good thing , as I used to never have any relief though that is my good leg, no change in the right one yet. But my lower back hurts more and now my upper back. Of course the upper back is partly the esoph. I am gonna have to find out about the PT here and if there is a program here for it on my ins. I cannot go to the 40 mile away one . No can do. Also I need to know if it is McKenzie as I don't want to be hurt worse. Thank goodness your ins. is paying 85% otherwise you'd be going broke like I am with the chiro. I'm sure I'm paying for part of the vacation my chiro is taking this week, heehee. I'm still encouraged though as I am learning how to sit and what stretches to do and abot the 8 minute walking and deep breathing. It is more than I have gotten out of my Dr in the yr I have had this. Of course it is costly and I absolutely cannot keep it up twice a week for too long. Cannot afford it. Glad your weather is gonna give you a break at least for Mon. We have no rain here and need it desperately otherwise we have to water Mon. and it is an all day job. It has been hard to do for yrs but beyond difficult for me this yr. I am most assuredly not getting better in my old age. Your DIL's parents sound just horrid and completely self absorbed, good thing she has you for a mother . I really think too that she'd better get to a gastro dr , it has hung on too long to be a virus. Hope your headache gets better soon. My son has had too nasal surgeries to correct those horrid headaches and is better but it is not perfect by any means. A horrid recovery too, the worst pain he says he has ever felt. Lets hope you are not in for that. Lia

Old 05-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #112
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Lia, please check into PT in your area. If he chiro is making your back sore, quit going & check into PT. My PT does McKenzie but also all kinds of PT other than that, what they are doing for my hip isn't McK. so any PT is better than chiro. I had relief at first from my chiro too, but then the pain got worse, she didn't even realize it was the hip & not the sciatica. It's sore today, I knew it would not stay in place, heaven only knows what I did in my sleep to it. I do have 3 exercises I have to do twice a day til i see him again, they are to strengthen the lower back muscles to eventually keep the hip in place. After I just did my first session, it feels better, less pain. They have always told me a PT if it hurts, quit it. If anything they do hurts, I am to tell them & they do it a different way. They are just so much more knowledgeable than a chiro.
    It's only in the 50's here although they keep saying 71 by later today, but it's slow coming, so we have food & snacks ready but not going on the boat unless it warms up 20 more degrees. I think we'll be home tomorrow, as it is showing all red for Illinois, tons of severe weather coming,but for monday showing it mainly north toward wisconsin. so hopefully we'll get to use the boat a little. It's also showing rain all next week & into next weekend, enough already. We have wild mushrooms growing in our grass all over the place, that is how bad the mold is here right now & I have allergies to mold!
    No wonder I have the headache.
    Talk to you later, friend, lori

Old 05-29-2004, 10:53 AM   #113
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

Lori, my son is big time allergic to mold, the blinding headaches he gets from it just put him in bed. Wish you had our weather , it is 87 , overcast but quite windy. Hubby is cutting the grass and I am inside listening to music. Poor guy I can do little to help him. Of course I will have to help water on Mon. if we don't get rain and it is not looking like rain for us. Wish we had some of yours. I will find out if there is PT here and if the ins. will cover it and if my GP will refer me to it. Yes with your chiro not even realizing it was your hips then who knows how badly you might have gotten hurt in there with those adjustments. Sigh. Glad you got to the right place. Sounds like your PT is excellent , I doubt here in Podunk we have anything comparable. There is much to be said for the county life , but good medical care is not among em! At least you are lots better otherwise you'd be laid up for the holiday and beyond. Hopefully the headache will let up soon. Lia

Old 07-18-2004, 06:56 PM   #114
    Sara5678
    (female)

Sara5678 HB User

I too have sciatica pain. I got the MRI and it showed a pinched nerve (L4 L5). I have tried acupuncture and chiropractor did not help). PT is not helping either. The next step is McKenzie Method. I also have a consultation scheduled with a neurosurgeon who I am told may suggest minimally invasive discectomy.

No one wants surgery, but the pain is pretty bad. Any suggestions from anyone who has gone through this? Can anyone or anything help make the pain go away?
    I truly appreciate any suggestions.

Closed Thread