It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• post-op after ALIF L5-S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-19-2004, 11:14 AM   #1
    tracel820

tracel820 HB User
    Question post-op after ALIF L5-S1

Hello. i have just had an ALIF L5-S1 surgery last tuesday. My back feels fine, but the pains in my stomach are unbearable. i know there was to be pain, but i didnt imaginge it would be this bad. Pain pills do not seem to help. Is post surgery to be like this? Is this normal? I feel worse than before i had the surgery. How long should this last? I have had other surgeries on my neck, and they dont even compare to this. Any suggestions would be great.

Last edited by tracel820; 04-20-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
    thalia
    Inactive

thalia HB User
    Re: post-op after ALIF L5-S1

Exacly what kind of surgery did you have.
    I had 2 surgery on S1-L5. Also a disk replacement at this level. The pain after surgery will deffinitley get worse, but prob 1-2 months you will feel better.

Old 04-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #3
    ali_moran
    (female)

ali_moran HB User

Hi,

It has been just over a year for me since I had my alif (L5-S1). I know just what you mean about the tummy pain. When I was in the hospital the first time I got up to walk around, I couln't believe how terrible my stomach hurt. I cried every time I got up. The 4th day it started to feel better. Trust me, it won't last long. As for my fusion, I used BMP and I failed to fuse so I will be going in again to have screws and rods (and my own bone) put in so my cages will be tight. I used a walker when I got home. It really helped me get up from my bed. I would put all my weight on it, and it did help with the tummy pain. Also, I used a roll pillow (when I laid on my side) and put it under my arm so that my shoulder didn't lean forward and that seemed to relieve the tummy pain. If you have any more questions I'd be more than happy to answer them for you. Best of luck, and just rember to keep walking whenever you can. I purchased a treadmill and that helped out a ton!

God bless,

Alison

March 2004: Found out that I didn't fuse. My body rejected the BMP. :-(

March 2003: Alif interbody fusion with BMP and BAK cages (L5-S1)

Nov 2002: Discogram confirms DDD and shreded L5-S1 disc

May 2001: Microdistectomy and Laminectomy. (L5-S1)

2001: Cortizone injections. No help.

Dec 25, 1999: Fell against wooden couch frame.

(History of DDD in family and 5 family members have had multiple back surgeries)

Old 04-21-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
    ali_moran
    (female)

ali_moran HB User

Bump......

Last edited by ali_moran; 04-21-2004 at 10:59 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 10:45 AM   #5
    tracel820

tracel820 HB User

Thank you all for your information. Unfortunatly I was not informed by the Nuero about all the pain i would expierence. He just told me my back would not hurt any more. It was kind of a last minute desision, And sence he had already preformed 2 operations on my neck in the past, i trusted him. I just never thought to ask about the pain. I am now just coming up on my second week post surgery, and the pain is getting better. I still have alot of pain when i have to use the restroom, seems like i can no longer hold my bladder over 3 hours. And pain is returning in my back, but i feel its because i feel better sitting up. I go in for my post op on tuesday, so i hope every thing is well. Thanks again for the info. -TRACIE

Old 04-25-2004, 06:10 PM   #6
    ddelong123

ddelong123 HB User

Glad that everything is sounding like your recovery and surgery will be successful. How long did your doctor say before you could start working again? My doctor is recommending me for ALIF for my L5/S1. He told me 3~4 weeks to get back to work and 4~6 months for full recovery. Just worried about being off work too long and also worried about the not so high success rates for fusion. My doctor has performed ~300 ALIF surgeries. Is that alot?

-- Doug

Old 06-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
    pam1000
    (female)

pam1000 HB User

My doc told me that ALIF is my last resort. I had the surgery scheduled but cancelled at the last minute. Can you tell me about your surgery? I was told i would need an NG tube because of possible problems with my intestines.

Thanks,

Pam

Closed Thread