It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 2 days post hemilaminectomy/discectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2004, 07:46 AM   #1
    hemi_nododge

hemi_nododge HB User
    Smile 2 days post hemilaminectomy/discectomy

It is 2 days post surgery and all is well. Thank you to all of those that have posted in the past. You all have helped with my decision that surgery was the right thing to do at this time. My middle 3 toes on my left foot are still numb but that is it. The only pain I feel is incisional pain. I was even debating whether or not to take pain meds today. Sitting is uncomfortable because of the dressing site, which is very tender. Pain meds don't help that pain. I have just recently became a member of this board but I have been hiding in the shadows reading all of the positive post as to keep all of the negativity out of my head. I will keep everyone posted as my days go on. Today is my first day at home. Are there any good routines to keep from sitting, lying, or standing too long? Thanks

Curtis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User
    Re: 2 days post hemilaminectomy/discectomy

Glad to hear you are doing so well! I had the same procedure as you 4 weeks ago. I also had some incisional pain, and that goes away within the first week or two. I'd advise you to get up and walk around as much as you can- that seemed to help me a lot. As for sitting, I found that resting in a recliner worked well, and I actually slept in one for the first week, since lying down was very uncomfortable. Also, obey all of the post-op restrictions your doctor gave you to the letter! I cannot emphasize that too heavily. I started feeling so good that I overdid it and started having leg pain again. Be careful!
    Good luck, and keep us posted!

Jessie

Old 04-23-2004, 02:57 PM   #3
    hemi_nododge

hemi_nododge HB User

Hi Jessie,
    Sorry to hear that you started having leg pain. Was it the same side? Hopefully the pain is just a friendly reminder and not anything more serious. Does meds make it any better? I don't have any problems lying in the bed. I have been sleeping only on my right side for the past 2 years. I occasionally go to the left but it was uncomfortable after about an hour. Post surgery, the left and surgery side is more comfortable than the right. I like my recliners but the incisional pain is bad. Did you have micro surgery? Mine wasn't. The incision is about the length of a pencil right at belt line. I did a lot of walking today. My hips or surprisingly tired. They feel like they are starting to tighten up. It might be my stiffness and baby steps. I hope you start feeling better soon.
    Curtis

Old 04-23-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User

Hi there! I had a different procedure (fusion) 8 weeks ago. I'm doing well so far!. Just wanted to say welcome and I hope you continue to recover. Since we had different surgeries this may not apply, but when I first got home I found that sleeping with LOTS of pillows supporting me really felt comfortable.

I know what you mean about trying to push the negativity away ... I'm the same way.

Old 04-24-2004, 06:28 PM   #5
    Standingman1

Standingman1 HB User

Curtis--Thanks for your post! Sounds very good! As you may know, there was a long thread on lamis and several others related. If you're comfortable doing it, it might be helpful to a number of people to hear how and why you decided for surgery and also to keep us updated on how you're doing. Again thanks!

Standingman

Old 04-24-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
    kvn60640

kvn60640 HB User

Glad to hear you are feeling good bro. I had the lam/discectomy on Jan. 26th on the L5/S1 for a 15mm herniation that was just crushing my nerve root. The pain was absolutely crippling. I could not walk more than a few yards before Id have to crouch down in an attempt to relieve it. Im 34 years old and was able to get around very well after a couple of weeks. In fact, I moved across the country at that time. When you start feeling better be sure you are conscientious of the fact you just had surgery. No freakin bending, twisting etc. The pain at the incision goes away pretty quick as does that egg from swelling. My nerve pain has just recently subsided so dont be discouraged if you are still having leg and butt pain for a while. The nerves are extremely slow in healing. Unfortunatly in my case I now have foot drop caused by the L4/L5 disc herniating on the right side so Im looking at a fusion on Tuesday. Im kinda bummed that Im having to have another back surgery so soon but hopefully it will reverse this foot drop. If you experience this problem do not let it go thinking it will go away. Ive had it for around four weeks now and its likely irreversable now but I am hoping that a fusion will work. Foot drop is basically a paralysis of the foot with accompanying pain and numbness. The foot drags when walking and I cant raise my foot or toes. Its really freakin scary actually because eventually the muscle will waste away as well. Good luck on your recovery and Ill keep you posted on mine.

Old 04-26-2004, 05:37 AM   #7
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

Curtis,
    Yes, the leg pain that returned was on the same side (right) as it had been before surgery. It comes and goes, but my doctor told me it could do that since the nerve was compressed pretty badly, and it takes time for nerves to heal. The meds did help- they gave me Percoset, but I found I don't need it unless the leg pain is bad. Try to walk normally, it will really help you feel better and may even help prevent a lot of scar tissue from forming.
    Hope you are feeling better every day!
    Jessie

Old 04-26-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
    hemi_nododge

hemi_nododge HB User

Hello everyone,
    This problem with my back came as a big surprise. I had done 10 years in the military, gotten out and started a new carrer when I first remember having sciatic pain. I went through the normal regimint for pulled back muscle with no relief.(muscle relaxer, rest, anti imflamatories). Never believed the Drs about the back when it was my hip that was hurting and really wanted to prove them wrong. The pain was steadily getting worst, so bad, I thought I had broken my hip, so they refered me to neurosurgery which ordered an MRI. The results absolutely floored me. Up until that day, I was the average 30 year old. (No restrictions in life) I was told that I had DDD, multiple herniated discs and scoliosis with the spinal cord twisting. My mind was blown. The neurosurgeon went on to say that had he not seen me walk in his office he would have recommended surgery that day. I was then referred to another neurosurgery office for care. I had 3 ESI 2 weeks apart. That helped with the pain for exactly 6 months. (amazing how the pain knows when to come back) The crippling pain came rushing back. I had sinced moved from Va to Fl absolutely no pain during the 6 months. Refered to pain management because there was no way 'I' was ever going to have surgery. Percocet was given 2 every 4 hours as well as valium for muscle relaxing. Nothing was releaving the pain so a facet injection was given which in my mind caused more pain than it helped. I swear up until that day, all that I ever had was severe sciatic pain. After the facet, I first felt pain in my back. I tried trigger point injections and they really helped with the pain along with durgesic patches 25 mcg. The injections are also in sets of 3 and they lasted about 3-4 month the first time the 6 months the second time I had them. I was completely painfree again using 0 pain meds. Once again that the problem corrected itself. The last time the pain came, it came with a vengence and nothing was helping the pain. I was getting trigger points sometime twice a week and ESI every 2 wks along with duragesic 50 mcg and pecocet 2 every 4 hours. After going to the ER on Christmas day and 2 other days that same week, they admitted me with severe muscle spasms everytime I moved. They gave me morphine and valium around the clock to calm my nerves. A new MRI was given. I now have severe stenosis at the L5-S1. The Drs and the hospital, my PCP, pain management Drs all said that it was time that every stone was turned over and more pain was all that was there. I then made up my mind to have surgery and did all of the research I could. I found this site and was a fly on the wall reading all of the positive post. They all calmed my mind and eased the transition from never having surgery to now it is time. It is day 5 for me now and I am for the most part painfree. I still wear my 50 mcg duragesic patch and only take a lortab and flexeril at night. I walk alot, ride with my wife when she goes on short trips, and get out my bed every morning like I have somewhere to go today. Though I have nowhere to go today, I have somewhere to go in 8 wks and with Lords will and me not getting impatient, I will be there.
    Curtis

Old 04-26-2004, 06:13 PM   #9
    hemi_nododge

hemi_nododge HB User

One thing I forgot, it is posible that all the doses of steriods that I received may have lead to my new diagnosis of osteoporosis in the back. An x-ray of my back lead to a bone dencity scan. For all of the new people with back pain, there is no time limit from onset of back pain to the need for surgery. Most importantly, the onset of back pain doesn't mean that surgery is in your future. The herniation in disc L1-L4 for the most part are resolving on there own, they are much better now than they were 2yrs ago. Also during that 2yr. time frame, I gain 20 lbs, all stomach.(all 20 lbs lost now). That may have lead to the increase in the herniation and subsiquent stenosis of L5-S1. Try if you could to see what lifestyle changes you may have made before or during your onset of pain. That could also help your body mend on its own.
    Curtis

Closed Thread