It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• GETTING VERSED DURING DISCOGRAM!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-05-2002, 07:49 PM   #1
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    Talking GETTING VERSED DURING DISCOGRAM!!!!!!

Hi People!!! Guess what? The nurse at the hospital where my discogram has been officially schd. for January 13th called me to see if I had any questions...again I repeated what I learned here; that the procedure usually is and should be done with some kind of iv sedation and she said: "oh you WILL be having what we call 'conscious sedation' - you will be given versed to take the edge off - I won't lie to you it is still a very uncomfortable procedure, but the versed will help"!!!!! - Now I am at a total loss as to why my doctor repeatedly left me with the impression that I was to receive absolutely NOTHING before or during the discogram....I'm beginning to think he is either just plain dumb or a closet sadist. Now here's the thing: Versed makes you forget, this I know. But are you still in as much agony as without but you just don't remember it afterwards?? If so that's not real real comforting, u know? Or does versed REALLY TRULY take the edge off? I mean I sure won't turn it down either way, but I am rather curious. I had versed during a colonoscopy and I do not remember much; but that was also mixed with demerol. I did still feel pain but not too bad. Of course a discogram is a whole new animal. Let me know peeps....You've all been of great help and comfort to me. Goodnight all! ~ Jill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-05-2002, 08:19 PM   #2
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Jill,

What great news !
    I also had versed for the discogram, and also for my colonoscopy last year.

The versed for the colonoscopy, is given in a higher dose, that is why you don't remember much, as well as didn't feel much pain.
    Didn't you hate the gas afterwards ? Amazing !

For the discogram, the dose is lower, you will be 100% aware of what goes on, as well as remember everything.
    At least, that was the case for me.
    You have to be aware to tell the doctor when the pain is re-produced, so they can tell where the main sources of pain are coming from.
    It only relaxes you some, but it does help alot.

The first part of the procedure,I had the normal pain level I received from all of the various blocks I have had, the 2nd part is when it gets painful.
    The discs that don't test positive will hurt and be ucomfortable, but you will feel even more pain from the ones that are damaged and test positive.

Mine took 1 hour twenty minutes, for four discs.
    You will be quite sore for several days, but after that, it will get better each day.

Just look at it as a great diagnostic test, you will be so very happy you had it.
    The time will fly by, so the pain will only last for awhile.
    It is all so very worth it in the end.

I know you will do fine, before you know it, you will also be recommending the procedure to others.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Old 12-05-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
    luvbunny

luvbunny HB User
    hi, I just had one today. They gaveme something in the iv that KNOCKED me out then they gave me something else to make me more alert when they started the test. It seemed to me that I felt everything but was extremely tired and groggy It seemed I was too sedated. I would ask not to be as sedated next time as I would hurt anyhow but would of been more alert?(hopefully never will have another) I just got up about an hour ago and I still fell groggy. I had 11 hours of sleep!!! Its an uncomfortable rest to top it off. I am not gonna lie if hurts! I told them enough please you gotta stop. They wanted to know 1-10 what level it hurt. Im like a ten a ten!!! that was the last two. the two first ones hurt but not like the last two. I hurt a little tonght but not too bad. I am glad I had it done and its over! I do think its worth the pain. I do not mean to scare you, but I think people should know what to expect as far as pain goes. everyone is different I am a BIG baby!!!so in a nut shell dont be afraid you wont be sedated!!they will take care of you!
    ~luvbunny~

Old 12-05-2002, 10:16 PM   #4
    carrington7

carrington7 HB User
    Hi Jill-

I had one about three weeks ago and I was- or felt as though- I was totally conscious the entire time. They DID give me versed (small dose) and though my speech sounded a little more "groggy" I was well aware of what was going on. When he injected the painful disc and I felt increased discomfort the nurse gave me some more versed to help "take the edge off". To be honest though, if you are at this step (to have the discogram) then you have probably had pain (liek the intensity of the discorgram) before at one time or another. I know that I just kept trying to focus on the fact that maybe THIS TEST will help me on the road to recovery. And it sort of did. For 1 1/2 years no one knew exactly what my troubles were (bilateral nerve pain constantly)until I had the discogram and it confirmed a rupture at L5/S1. Think of the test as a way to find out EXACTLY what's wrong so they can fix you ASAP!! That positive thought will outweigh the discomfort. You'll be fine!!

Old 12-06-2002, 08:17 AM   #5
    ali_moran
    (female)

ali_moran HB User
    Hi Jill,
    I just wanted to let you know that my discogram wasn't bad at all. If they said i had to have anohter one, i wouldn't be upset at all. The versed made me very sleepy and i wasn't totally aware during the whole thing. But i was able to give them the feedback they needed. They said that i was in there for 1 hour, but to me it just felt like 3 minutes or so. I really don't remember much of it at all. And as far as the pain, my doc slowly put the dye in and as soon as i said that it was starting to hurt, he stopped right away, and said that was good enough for him. He said that his goal was not to hurt me, just to make it a little bit uncomfortable. I just wanted to let you know that it's not a horrbile thing for everyone, and hopefully yours will be like mine!
    Good luck!! Just ask them to please give you as much sedative as they can...Tell them that you are very scared.
    It will be over before you know it!!
    God Bless,
    Alison :-)

Old 12-07-2002, 01:39 PM   #6
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User
    Jill,

I perform conscious sedation for certain procedures at work. Your response will completely depend on which amnesiac you are given (and you already know you'll get versed), how much of it you're given (this depends on a person's weight, but moreso their individual tolerance to the drug - if a person is a heavy drinker they will need MORE drug - if they are a lightweight (like mE!) they usually need less; and on their metabolism - people who metabolize quickly usually require more doses given). It also depends on which narcotic you're given during the procedure and how much of that is given. The amnesiac sedates you and makes you forget (usually) the procedure; the narcotic raises your pain threshhold - you feel less pain - and helps knock you out. If you're given enough of each drug, you'll not feel the pain, AND not remember it. If you're only given the amnesiac (versed) you may feel the pain, but not remember it. If you're given small doses, you may feel some pain, but just not give a rat's patooty that you are. If you get a heavy dose of either you may feel groggy afterwards.

I got propofol (similar to versed) and fentanyl (a fast acting quickly metabolized narcotic) for my IDET. Typically, they don't give you another med to bring you out of the amnesiac - they just stop giving the amnesiac through your IV and let you waken a little. I was very alert during the dye insertion and in recovery I wasn't sleepy at all. Again, it just all depends on what and how much you're given.

Your doctor (if he's not the one doing the procedure) may not know what the protocol is for the meds. If this doc IS the one doing the procedure, he may have just gotten hung up on the words "before the procedure" thinking you meant the night before or in the pre-op holding area. It is not typical to give meds before hand. Otherwise, I agree with you - the guy needs a reminder about how the procedure works!

I'm so happy for you, though, that you have finally been told the actually procedure and what to expect. I know this will be a huge relief to you. So, don't worry too much. The meds help tremendously. And just remember, you've been through a lot already. No one here has been through more than they could handle during the discographies - even if we hollered and cried. You're gonna do fine! Hang in there, and let us know how it goes and what the diagnosis is afterwards.

Wishing you the best.

KM

Old 12-07-2002, 06:41 PM   #7
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    Smile

Thanks a million for the response, Baxter, Luvbunny, Carrington 7, Ali_moran & Kali M: The individual stories have renewed my courage and I believe the more we do this the better the odds that I will not chicken out. I DO understand I need this test; but you know how it is when you are so terrified; sometimes the fear overpowers common sense. In the interim I am hoping someone can advise me on my current problem: I am having such trouble sleeping; I cannot turn from side to side with out excruciating pain; I cannot lay on my back; and I must change sides constantly because any prolonged time spent lying on one side or the other becomes agonizing. The doctor prescribed Ultram, but it hasn't done squat!! Anybody have this type of trouble? Presurgery I had the opposite problem - I did well on the floor at night (I could not handle the bed); it was when I was up and about or even just standing that I was most uncomfortable. I really don't want to sleep on the floor again, and judging by how I felt this evening (I laid on the floor to watch a movie) I don't think it would be any better. What do you think? Thanks a bunch as always my forum family! ~ Jill

Old 12-07-2002, 06:43 PM   #8
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    Smile

Thanks a million for the response, Baxter, Luvbunny, Carrington 7, Ali_moran & Kali M: The individual stories have renewed my courage and I believe the more we do this the better the odds that I will not chicken out. I DO understand I need this test; but you know how it is when you are so terrified; sometimes the fear overpowers common sense. In the interim I am hoping someone can advise me on my current problem: I am having such trouble sleeping; I cannot turn from side to side with out excruciating pain; I cannot lay on my back; and I must change sides constantly because any prolonged time spent lying on one side or the other becomes agonizing. The doctor prescribed Ultram, but it hasn't done squat!! Anybody have this type of trouble? Presurgery I had the opposite problem - I did well on the floor at night (I could not handle the bed); it was when I was up and about or even just standing that I was most uncomfortable. I really don't want to sleep on the floor again, and judging by how I felt this evening (I laid on the floor to watch a movie) I don't think it would be any better. What do you think? Thanks a bunch as always my forum family! ~ Jill

Old 12-08-2002, 03:27 PM   #9
    Kali M
    Veteran
    (female)

Kali M HB User
    Jill,

Do you think some of the discomfort is due to the displacement of your hips when you lie on your side. This happens to me. I've solved it by placing a small foam padding under my waist (whichever side is lying on the bed). That pushes my waist back up into a natural position while on that side so my hips are back in a neutral position as well. It's worth a try. Also, have you tried taking some Benadryl at night? I use that when I'm having to switch shifts at work. Doesn't take away pain - just makes me sleepy. Be careful taking lots of drugs together though if you don't know how you'll do with the mixture.

KM

Old 12-08-2002, 07:09 PM   #10
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    I have noticed some relief I lay with a pillow elevating the upper leg while lying on my side; somethimes this is of great help and other times not. I am beginning to dread going to bed because my night consists of constant awakenings. I put a call in to my doctor; we shall see what he advises. I will keep you all posted!! Love, Jill P

Old 12-09-2002, 12:42 PM   #11
    Telzey
    Senior Veteran

Telzey HB User
    Hi Jill!
    Glad to hear you'll be getting some Versed for your discogram. I got 2 mg Versed and 100 mcg Fentanyl for my discogram, and I remembered the entire procedure, but the meds took the edge off so it didn't feel so bad. I guess if you get more Versed you might not remember what went on. I have no idea what the standard dosages are.

I had problems sleeping too, and I got a new bed! It was a lot of money but worth it. I used to have a top-of-the-line Sealy mattress, and couldn't sleep on my side. Now we have one of those custom European mattresses over a platform, not a box spring, and I find I can sleep on either my back or my side or even my stomach very comfortably. The mattress conforms to my weight yet provides firm support.

You might look into a European manufacturer; most of the American mattresses are all made the same way, and no matter how top-of-the-line they are, they all end up sagging after a few years.

Best wishes,
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Telzey
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!

Old 12-11-2002, 10:19 PM   #12
    GolferRob

GolferRob HB User
    Hi Jill,

As a newbie (today), I am not one to go around shelling out advice. But, this is one subject that I know a little about, as I had a diskogram done recently. I am deathly afraid of needles, and I told the doctor from the very beginning that they better be planning on giving me something before they ever start, or they would never be able to touch me with the needles. They told me that I would be getting Versed.

They gave me one shot (half dose, if I heard the assistant correctly) about five or ten minutes before they started. It made me feel very relaxed, but still there. They hit me with the first needle, and I told them that they better give me some more, NOW! After they finished the first disk, they gave me the other half dose. I don't remember much about the other two disks. I remember telling the doctor how it felt when he was doing his thing, but it didn't hurt. It is kind of like being out of your body. You can still talk and stuff, but the pain doesn't get to your brain. Then, when it is all over, you don't remember a thing. Or at least very little of it.

I think that the Versed was the only thing that allowed me to sit long enough for them to do the procedure. Hopefully it will work as well with you. I think that they only gave me half doses to avoid having to give me anything to perk me up, like the other person talked about. I hope that you get somebody who will take care of you as well as that team did me.

Best of luck with the procedure, and a prayer for you.

Rob

Old 12-12-2002, 10:42 PM   #13
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    Smile

Thanks Rob, Telzey and all else: As usual your responses and stories brighten my day SO much! My husband is so understanding and comforting but it speaking to people who actually had or are having discograms is help on a whole new level! Not a day goes by that I do not thank G*d I found this place. I come home from work and can't wait to pop in and chat with you all here. I only hope that I can be of help to others as all you kind people have been to me. I just got a new script for Vicodin to hold me over the rough spots for now....I dislike it thought, it is hard on my stomach and isn't very effective. They tell me they will send me home with percocet after the discogram. The doctor said "you will need it" - nothing like a little assurance!!?? I had weaned myself off of all pain meds except Bextra the anti inflammetory, but I just couldn't deal with this much discomfort (to put it mildly) with the bextra alone; yet I hate the roller coaster of pills that inevitably follows.....anybody find one particular drug that works better than most? Anything but the oxy; I had trouble with that one. When I tried to d/c it I had actual withdrawl symptoms that were nasty. Well good night all - drop me line when ya can! Love and God Bless to all ~ Jill

Old 12-13-2002, 05:10 AM   #14
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Jill & Rob,

Rob, never worry about being a newbie, we have all been there at one time. Welcome to the family.
    My opinion is that any advice is great, whether it's the first posting, or into the hundreds.

Jill,

You will love the percocet !
    I just took my first dose last night, and yes, I finally got some sleep.
    I had it in the hospital, but it was while I was on the morphine, so I couldn't tell how the percocet worked.
    It is a great pain killer and relaxing, killer buzz
    I don't think I could ever return to work while taking it. No possible way in the world.
    I am taking two 7.5/325 mg at a time.
    It throws a quick loop, makes me feel real stoned and drunk. Very Happy too All in about ten minutes.
    Then you need to sleep, you can't even focus to read, at least in my case. I was typing and seeing double real quick.
    No stomache side effects for me also.

I have been taking Vicodin for two years, now that seems to be like candy, since my surgery.

You will be fine with the discogram.

Husker, Telzey & Michelle,

Have you tried percocet ?
    I hope each day gets brighter for you all.
    You are such sweethearts [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

I have alot of friends to catch up with over the next few weeks, so I apologize for not responding.
    I can only do a little at a time.
    It is a sitting issue, as I don't have a lap top.

Take Care,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 12-13-2002).]

Old 12-13-2002, 05:56 PM   #15
    jillp8888

jillp8888 HB User
    Thanks again for all the information....some days I feel like I'm going to sail on thru without any problems, then at other times I start worrying all over again and want to back out of it. I call the day of my discogram "D Day" ( I know - it's an awful pun ), so it looks like I'm going to need lots and lots of words of encouragement from you! And in turn I hope that I can also be of help to those who need it. I cannot get any percocet until "D Day"; the doc says he cannot mail it since it could get lost and fall into the wrong hands but so is Vicoden, isn't it??, and he called the vicoden in but said he cannot call in the percocet. And the vicoden just gives me a pounding headache [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img] - Anyway, please keep up the great workds and advise - don't let me try and back out of it..... [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif[/img] ~Jill l

Closed Thread