It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• MRI with Harrington Rod

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-18-2002, 07:11 PM   #1
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    Question MRI with Harrington Rod

I had Harrington Rod surgery for scoliosis 20 years and now my current orthopedist wants to send me for an MRI of my cervical spine. I've been trying to reach out to as many people as I can to find out if anyone anywhere with any kind of metal in their body has ever had an MRI for anything. The rod I have is stainless steel. I've very nervous about having the MRI but it is also extremely important to find out what's wrong. I need all the reassurance I can get. Anyone have advise?

Renee
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2002, 09:23 PM   #2
    thefer
    Inactive

thefer HB User
    Hi

I would be very nervous if i were you. I don't mean to scare you. I have hardware in the lower back. They tried to do an MRI about 4 months or so after the fusion and we had some major problems. I have had mri's before the fusion with no problems at all. A couple mins after they started, my back got really hot, almost burning. I screamed and went into a panic attack in the tunnel. I was pulled out and they looked at my back. It was red where the screws or the hardware was at. I would strongly talk to your dr who is ordering it. You may want to ask for a ct scan. About a couple wks after this incident, they ordered an Myleogram with ct scan. This time around, a ct scan was just ordered this wk to check the fusion, if its fused, then the dang hardware comes out. Yah. Good luck, jennifer

Old 12-18-2002, 10:02 PM   #3
    pebble's
    (female)

pebble's HB User
    Dear Renee.
    I have Titanium hardware in my back and i know it is perectly safe to have an MRI with that in, I have it done twice and no problem at all. And also the Picture's were nice and clear..

Also i would like to welcome you aboard to our lovely home where i'm sure many other peeps will chip in..

Love Pebbles xxxx

Old 12-20-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
    joha

joha HB User
    Hi Renee:

I too have had an mri with the metal in my back and didn't have any discomfort. The test though did come back inconclusive due to the hardward. Sometimes it can distort any findings. Usually the next step if mri's don't confirm anything is a discogram. I've had a ct mylegram also, but not until after my third surgery. It was the discogram that verified my problems. Hope you get some anwers soon. Jo H.

------------------
    1979: Fell from scaffold onto gymnasium floor. Decompression Laminectomy L1-L3 w/Spinal Fusion and Harrington Rods Insertion.
    1992: Harrington rod breakage and dislodging. Removal and refitted with smaller hardware and re fused.
    2001: Pain Again. MRI inconclusive due to hardware
    2001: Discogram shows bulging and DDD at L4-S1 due to domino effect
    2002 Feb: 10 hr. surgery. 360 fusion and hardware extended with "connector" to S1. 3 Titanium cages placed anteriorally. Fused from L1-S1.
    2002 Sept: Pain worse than before surgery.
    2002 Oct: EMG shows damage to L5 and S1
    2002 Oct: CT Myelogram shows clustering at the nerve root endings of L1-L2. Scar tissue causing mild arachnoiditis.
    "We can't find anything "PRONOUNCED"
    2002 Dec: "What To Do or What Not To Do?" That is the question.

Meds:
    Duragesic Patch 50 mg
    Morphine Sulf 15mg for bt pain
    Wellbutrin
    Relafen
    Nitrofurantoin for UTI prevention
    Ambien

Believing God will heal me!
    2001: Discogram shows bulging and DDD at L4-S1 due to domino effect
    2002 Feb: 10 hr. surgery. 360 fusion and hardware extended with "connector" to S1. 3 Titanium cages placed anteriorally. Fused from L1-S1.
    2002 Sept: Pain worse than before surgery.
    2002 Oct: EMG shows damage to L5 and S1
    2002 Oct: CT Myelogram shows clustering at the nerve root endings of L1-L2. Scar tissue causing mild arachnoiditis.
    "We can't find anything "PRONOUNCED"
    2002 Dec: "What To Do or What Not To Do?" That is the question.

Meds:
    Duragesic Patch 50 mg
    Morphine Sulf 15mg for bt pain
    Wellbutrin
    Relafen
    Nitrofurantoin for UTI prevention
    Ambien

Believing God will heal me!

Old 12-23-2002, 06:37 AM   #5
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Joha,

Nice to see you again

How have you been ?
    Do you have any new procedures coming up soon ?

Yes, I love it, another success story about the diagnostic proof of the good old discogram. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img]

I used to be dead set against them, due to they are so very highly invasive, but I still say it's the best test to endure, to rule things out, without having to keep repeating failed procedures, when the doc is just guessing in most cases as to what the problem is.

Even though the docs may be correct about treating one area, they also may be missing something else, which is why so many people have to keep repeating other treatment options.

I was so very glad to have my discogram done [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

Have a great holiday,
    Baxter

Old 12-27-2002, 11:07 AM   #6
    steeplechase3k

steeplechase3k HB User
    I hope this isn't too late to be of help, but I have had an MRI (on my knee) while there was hardware of somekind in there. I have snice had it (the hardware) removed.

I don't remember any pain during the MRI, but many of the images were bad because of the metal.

The MRI is VERY loud, and very small (inside), I was glad to only have my legs in it.

Closed Thread