It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• thorasic back pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-29-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
    BC419

BC419 HB User
    Question thorasic back pain

I have terrible pain in the upper left side of my back into my left shoulder. I have had an MRI and found a huge herniated disc in the T11 T12 area. All the drs. are telling me that this is a very rare area to get disc problems and they are not sure that all my pains are from that. They say it could be myofacial pain and spasms. But, meanwhile no one can help me. The pain doctor that I just went to now suggested I take Botox shots into the muscles and see if that helps me. I have already tried trigger point cortisone, accupunture, PT, CHiropractor, and exercises. Nothing is helping me. No pain killers help me either. All that does help me is the TENS machine. DOes anyone have this kind of problem. I just do not know where to turn or what to do

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 10:12 PM   #2
    farmboy7
    Inactive

farmboy7 HB User
    Re: thorasic back pain

Hey BC,
    I have a compression fracture on T-9 (basically a crushed vertabrae) and they also say it is uncommon. Also harder and dangerous to operate in this area. The TENS unit did nothing for me but pain-killers do help although you always need more. Now I have lidocaine patches also that seem to help some. Been over 9 years since my half-gainer down the stairs and since I'm getting worse they are considering surgery.
    Good luck.

farmboy

Old 04-30-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
    BC419

BC419 HB User

Farm Boy, I tried the lidocaine pathes and they did nothing at all. I don't know who to go to anymore. I am afraid of the botox, but it is the only thing left to try for me, short of surgery or epidurals which are dangerous. I wish someone could tell me if they had this done. :

Old 04-30-2004, 07:48 AM   #4
    Kayley
    Veteran
    (female)

Kayley HB User

Hey BC
    I have a herniation at t-6 and t-7, and my pm doctor wanted to try Botox too. He did trigger point injections, which, according to him, are a test to see if the Botox will work. The trigger points did nothing for me, so we didn't proceed on to the Botox. Since you've already tried trigger points, I don't see how Botox could help. Just my and my doc's opinions. Be careful because alot of these doctors want to do the expensive procedures just to line their own pockets. Besides, even if Botox did work, it's only a temporary bandaid, which you would need every few months, which could get very expensive. Right now I'm at the end of my rope with nothing left to try except meds and I'm scared of being a guinea pig. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Kayley

Old 05-01-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
    Rush

Rush HB User

I have had severe pain in my Thorasic area for 10 years -now at its worst.
    I have had Lumbar surgery-plate and Pins in 98 and cervical surgery again plates and pinsin 2000 and it did nothing to help that pain...
    Nothing helps Pills, chiro or nuthin.... about 20 years ago i separated my shoulder and did'nt get it fixed . I was askin the back docs the whole time about my shoulder.they said no way.
    So a few weeks ago I went to A pro football doc most does shoulders...well he takes reg. x rays and wammo--there is 3 huge bone spurs about 3/4 of an inch long diggin into my upper shoulder muscle....Then MRI's and also i have 2 tears in tendons and the inside wall of rotator cuff is gone ,,,,
    gee do you think that has anything to do with it....?
    So now i am having shoulder surg in 2 weeks ,,,
    I have all kinds of pain everywhere--numbnesss ,arthiritus, alot of over compensating pain... but hopefully this will clear some ....

I CANT WAIT............................Rush

Old 05-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #6
    BC419

BC419 HB User

Thsnks for the advice. I had no idea that botox was only temporary. Actually, I should have know after watching TV shows and seeing all the Hollywood actresses- they are always going for more work and botox shots Anyway. I need some relief and that was the last resort suggested to me short of dangerous surgery. Not one doctor can really explain how this happen to me because I did not injure myself in any way at all and they say that it is so highly unusual to have throasic disc problems unless there is a servere injury. So, here i am with no answers and terrible pain, and no solution. I don't want to be a guinea pig either, but, what are you suppose to do- just suffer?? I feel that there must be someone, somewhere who can answer my questions and maybe give me some relief. I guess, now, I will certainly think twice about the botox, if it is just temporaty. My question is- is the botox dangerous in any way and are there side affects? Mqybe, a few months of relief might be worth it, but I really need to know more about it.

Old 05-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #7
    nanna02
    (female)

nanna02 HB User
    Smile Re: thorasic back pain

Hi There BC

I am a " young" 51 yr old married woman who has had a lot of experience with the Spinal Area similar to yours .

I have been through 3 Thorasic Spine Operations due to hidden Calcification compressing and bulging the Spinal Cord at T8 /T9 areas.

In Feb. 2000 I had no pain in my back at all , just began with numb areas , breast , ribs/back area, legs ,and my walking wasn't very good.

(I had been diagnosed 10 years previously with "possible " Multiple Sclerosis , but after extensive tests , these problems were not MS.)

An MRI Scan showed a large " bulge" squashing my spinal cord , at T8/T9 therefore blocking messages down my spine to my ribs ,waist ,pelvic area, legs , etc.

Eventually , Dec.2000, I was operated on by a very good Neurosurgeon. I wasn't walking too badly afterwards, had to use crutches or my husbands arm at times when out ; don't remember having pain after that op, but a year later my walking deteriorated more again ;

Nov. 2001 I was whisked back into hospital , operated on a 2nd time,; the Surgeon came in later apologising , saying what he'd thought was bone he'd left in there during the 1st operation , but discovered it was actually
    " extreme calcification " buried & hidden behind the spinal cord.!!

He'd had to use a high speed drill to remove some of it ,but it was too dangerous to continue due to bloodloss etc.. and said if the op was not sufficient help , he agreed he would have to operate again in a few months time.
    He said what had happened to me was VERY RARE, and the Thorasic area is NOT a common area for these problems . ( as you have been told )
    I believe the calcification must have just grown over the years; ??

Sure enough, the following July 2002 I was operated on again,-
    I couldn't walk hardly at all; I think I was using crutches or w/chair most of the time.

After the op. we had a meeting with the NS, who said how scared he had been , to see the Spinal cord was EMBEDDED inside the calcification and wrapped around & around it.!!
    He said it was like drilling concrete , and wrote me a letter beforehand warning me of the possibility of partial paralysis. I'd had no choice anyway so went ahead .

It has now been almost 2 years since the 3rd op. and it was after that op. I found myself in horrendous pain!.. I was given various painkillers , but nothing seemed to work,or others I was allergic to..

I ended up at A&E one night and had to have Morphine shots , Diazepam and Voltaren, I was in such pain!.. admitted to hospital etc.

Nowadays, I am still in pain but control it as best as I can.. The NS said it is "Neuropathic pain" where the spinal cord had been damaged and bruised after being tangled in the calcification ..
    ( we saw an MRI scan pic of the black bruised sp.Cord! Wow!!) No wonder he was scared , poor guy!

He gave me Epileptic type medication which blocks pain messages to the brain, I take every night , and also strong p/killers . I hope to eventually not need them one day .

I have been in a wheelchair fulltime now for a year as crutches were becoming exhausting to use fulltime ;
    I go outings with my husband , I can do cooking / dishes .& transfer myself , but recently I began thinking I may have been a bit lazy , not trying hard enough , so now I am determined ,and trying really hard to walk again on a frame and get on enjoying life with my husband and Family .

Now BC, I am not wanting to frighten you as this was just MY experience , we all experience different things ,

I just wanted you to know a bit about me , then you can discern if anything I've said may have helped you?? or maybe someone else ?? I'm happy to answer any questions if I can.

I wish sometimes I HADN'T had the op. as I wouldn't have this constant pain,- then again , I would be paralysed now completely without it.. !!!
    so what decision is right for you, BC??

I will be thinking of you and hope this may have helped a little ?
    Take Care
    Belle

Closed Thread