It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 6 months post op fusion and pain has changed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2004, 03:55 PM   #1
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    6 months post op fusion and pain has changed

Hi All,

I am 6 months post of from L5S1 fusion which has failed. My pain has changed from a low grade ache to a very different pain. An unstable worrying pain. Can anyone tell me where a fusion has failed, is there chance that you can become that unstable that something bad will happen.

I have my appt with surgeon in 3 weeks but am worried something will go wrong while waiting. I cant get an earlier appt.

Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 04:59 PM   #2
    Dwayne3

Dwayne3 HB User
    Re: 6 months post op fusion and pain has changed

BROOKE79, I'm facing a fusion at some point in time. One of which will be done at L5-S1. I would appreciate what ever information you get regarding your fusion failure, If you would share It with the board as to what options your doctor is now going to give you. I already have one failed fusion at L4-T11. My heart really goes out to you! I hope you will get some sort option to this! You'll be in my prayers! Hate to hear this sort of news! Good luck and may GOD give you a way out and guide you into the wisdom and knowledge of making the right decission!

Last edited by Dwayne3; 04-30-2004 at 05:00 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hey Dwayne,

Yep, i would love to explain everything regarding failed fusions. The point is a lot of people dont want to read or know about it but if you think that way, how can you say you've truly given the option of fusing any considerable thought without weighing it up. So good on you for bringing it up.

I was 24 when i had my first fusion. I was fit, healthy and lean. My spondyoloisthesis was only a grade one with only the beginnings of nerve damage. Thus as you can imagine i was given the best chance of a spectacular outcome from my surgeon. I dont mean to sound as though im bragging but i am under one of the top neurosurgeons in Sydney so its not as though the failure was due to poor skill.

Of the things that were against me, it was mostly anatomical. The surgeon said he had never seen the L5 and S1 on the angle that they were (and still are) on. The surgeon said because of this they are in more of a position to naturally slip forward, making it so much more difficult for the graft to take, and reducing the liklihood that the screws are going to hold the weight of the vertebrae (even though the lumbar vertebrae dont weight much). The surgeon said if the fusion were to be higher up that it wouldnt be so much of a drama because the vertebrae just sit one on top of the other and so they are easier to solidify.

Also, where the fusion is performed from a posterior approach the front wall of the L5S1 disc is left in tact and the graft is inserted from behind. What happened was some of the connective tissue that was remaining from the anterior wall of the disc had grown through the graft and this too hindered the progression of any bone growth.

That said i am duw for my second fusion in about 6 weeks. This time they will be using a formula called rhbmp8, a bone morphagenic protein that acts as an accelerant to the fusion.

I am nervous but still excited. I am fascinated by the capabilities of the human body and as sad as it is that it didnt work the first time around i will be in hospital for a month the second time which doesnt leave much room for anything to go wrong during the healing phase.

Brooke

Old 05-01-2004, 05:57 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Why will you be in the hospital for a month? Insurance in the states would never cover that.
    fly

Old 05-01-2004, 05:54 PM   #5
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi Fly,

The initial hospital stay is a week. 3 days in ICU then off to rehab hospital for 3 weeks. They are concerned about my being so young and not fusing that they dont want to take any chances this time. That suits me fine because i am very worried myself.

I have one month to go before my spt with my surgeon. I am on a waiting list to see him ealier but i doubt that will happen. I am worried as my pain is worsening in frequency and nature. This worries me quite a bit.

Still, onward and forward!

Brooke

Old 05-02-2004, 12:24 AM   #6
    GranEEjay8
    (female)

GranEEjay8 HB User

Hi Brooke79,
    I'm GranEEjay8 and fairly new to the boards.and when I read your posting I thought I should share my experiences with you. I have had 3 back surgeries since 1999. The first was to put cages in two discs that were just about goneand they did bone grafts to help support this area. But as we soon discovered it solved one problem and created another. I also had scoliosis and as I understand it , with that area being strenghtend and where it was located caused the scoliosis to really take over. I was bent way over to my right side with much discomfort and pain. So in 2000 I went in for the second surgery. This time he did fusion on T10-L5 and had to do L2-3 again. Then he put in rods and screws and I was in a body brace for 6 months.Then one day, 3 years down the road I leaned over my counter and thought the pain was going to do me in. The hardware had failed and so had the fusion. The rods were bent and were cracked and the screws , 2 of them were broken in half. So now its surgery number 3.
    They went in and took out all the old hardware, put rods in and used larger screws and also did some bone graphs and basically re-did the prior fusions. Then he put in a bone stimulator. This is suppose to help the bone heal faster and stronger. It is put just under the skin and has 2 wires attached to it that run up each side of the spine
    It is only good for 6 months and then they go in and remove it . Sure hope it works
    My back is fused and have rods and screws fromT10 to L5. Again I was in a body
    brace for 6 months. Done now and going in next week to have the stimulator removed.
    These back problems are so hard to cope with sometimes, it helps to know you are not
    alone. I wish you luck and send my good thoughts with you. Keep us informed.
    GranEEjay8

Old 05-02-2004, 03:35 AM   #7
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Brooke,

My surgeon uses something called bone morphogenic protein. I'll behaving a decompression(spinal stenosis) at the same time as the fusion. I'm 63 and have advanced osteopenia so I can only hope it holds.

You are so young to even have a problem. I hope they figure out what the problem is so you can get on with your life. Will you have internet access while in rehab?
    fly

Old 05-03-2004, 03:10 AM   #8
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear GranEEjay8,

Wow, it's posts like yours that bring me back to the real world and i discover my issues really are not that big a worry.

Tell me, going back would you do it again? Or, did you not have much of an option? What originally way back caused all the issues.

I am hoping that the degree of the L5 S1 has not meant that i may never fuse. I remain hopeful because i have dreams each and every day about where i see myself when this is all over.

Thanks so much for posting and please stay in touch, its great to hear from others is similar situations

Brooke

Old 05-03-2004, 03:15 AM   #9
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi Fly,

How are you? Yep, actually any time i go in for a scan or x-ray, im always the youngest in the waiting room at the hospital and everyone asks, why are you here? To pick up your grandparents? When i explain to them what has happened, they are really shocked.

the surgeon wants to use rhbmp 8 - a new kind of bmp, and it sounds hopeful. How have you found it? Did you fuse faster with it?

Would love to hear more from you regarding bmps,

Thanks Fly
    Regards
    Brooke

Old 05-03-2004, 12:28 PM   #10
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Brooke,

I won't be having the bmp until probably 6/15. I'll have a lot of questions before then. Have you read about it on the internet? My surgeon says he won't be using cages so I don't have a clue what will be holding in shape. I had my discogram today---it wasnt too bad. I should get some explanation next week.
    fly

Old 05-06-2004, 06:48 PM   #11
    Dwayne3

Dwayne3 HB User

Brooke, Please keep us notified as to your outcome the next go round as I'm facing a fusion at L5-S1. I've already got a failed fusion about L4-T11 and this also will be redone at the time I choose to have all this done. Not to mention failed hardware replacement as well, so you can see I have some concerns. Hopefully you'll have good news to share your second go round and I wish you from the bottom of my heart nothing but good results! May GOD be our strength in our times of need! Like I said keep us posted as we all can use incouraging news!

Old 05-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #12
    Haw'nCarl
    Veteran
    (male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

Aloha Brooke,

I wish you nothing but a very successful outcome. When I first started reading posts from this board, most of them were very positive, uplifting and encouraging, and they still are now, but of course there were and are still the few horror stories of multiple surgeries and failed hardware, but I believe for the most part, these stories represents the minority of thousands of successful surgeries performed worldwide every year.

The information now available about new technologies and techniques allows people to bone up if you will, before even considering surgery. Even if surgery is the only option, these technologies and techniques substantially increases your chances of a successful outcome, compared to even as little as 3 years ago. Of course there are many variables, and everyone is different.

If surgery [B][I]is[/I][/B] your only option, you [U][B]have[/B][/U] to purge any and all negative thoughts. Also, any of the stories you may read about people who may have had similar problems as you and have had failures, [B]forget[/B] about them, because…well…because they are [B]not[/B] you! It is nice to correspond with people who have had similar experiences and problems as you have had, but as you know, again, everyone is different, anatomically, mentally and also their lifestyles and environments are different and so on and so on, so don’t allow the horror stories to influence your thoughts. Sure bad things happen, surgeries, fusions and hardware fail, you may get struck by lightning too! Again, I believe this happens in a very small percentage of the cases.

I totally do [B]not[/B] mean to disrespect anyone with this post, and I am truly sorry if I have offended any one that has had failures or bad experiences with their surgeries and I have nothing but extreme sympathy for them. I guess, to be honest, I am writing this for me just as much as I am writing it for you Brooke. A little over two months ago I had a three level discectomy (L3-S1) and fusion with lots of hardware…. [B][I]lots[/I][/B] of hardware, [B]8[/B] three and a half inch lag bolts screwed into my vertebrae, a couple of rods and six cages, and oh…an 8 inch scar on my back. So I know first hand how all of these horror stories may influence a decision and can have a negative and scary affect on you. I am just saying, do not let this happen to you, think positive, and by all means do exactly what your doctor’s and physical therapists tell you to do, and you’ll be all right. You have more control over your outcome than you may think, on the other hand, some things are truly out of your control and are not worth worrying about, just focus on what you [B]can[/B] do. I am what I would consider a success story. I can walk, sit, and sleep again with nowhere near the meds or the pain I had before my surgery, and it’s only been a couple of months! So, only allow positive thoughts in, stay strong, and let God do the rest.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, God Bless you, don’t look back, and look forward to a better and brighter future.

Carl

P.S. sorry about the long post, but I felt it necessary to say all that I said.

Old 05-07-2004, 02:11 AM   #13
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Carl,

Thank you so much and it is very true.

I had to attend a 2 day personal training seminar today and the guy that is head of personal training for the company i work for told me that in fact he believes my injury came about more because of unstable emotional issues in my life as opposed to a genuine medical condition. When i told him i had had surgery he just rolled his eyes and went on to suggest that eastern medicine and hypnotherapy could have in fact cured the issue.

Of course not only was i really angry that he would say something like that but more over that he would say something like that when he already knew id had surgery so even if i did believe him, it was a little late.

Some people. Yet now that he's said that it is in the back of my mind, as annoying as it may be.

Never-the-less, im 2 weeks away from my appointment with the surgeon and am glad its coming, i want this to be over and done with asap.

Thanks again for listening Carl,
    Brooke

Old 05-07-2004, 02:15 AM   #14
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Dwayne,

I have my next appointment in 2 weeks. I had my CT 2 weeks ago and feel now that i wish i had of waited until i was a little closer to the appointment date before having the scan to be sure that i had the most up to date information. Im sure if it's an issue the surgeon will re-order the scan.

That said, i have not been in as much pain the last couple of weeks. I think though that that is because i have been taking pain medication every four hours, so my back really hasnt had the opportunity to make its presence know.

I'll definately keep you updated anyway to let you all know how im progressing coming up to my appointment.

Brooke

Old 05-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #15
    thalia
    Inactive

thalia HB User

I have had 2 Fusions. I am only 18. Within the past couple of months, my pain has returned. My most recent surgery was in April 2003. I had a artificial disc replacement (@level S1-L5) Also an anterior & posterior fusion. (This was done during the same surgery) Since then I am experiencing toe,feet,leg,knee,lower back,mid back, & neck pain. I have had an injection to block my nerve route in my neck. It helped for about 2 months. Then the pain returned. Still having pain in my back.

Closed Thread