It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• frozen shoulder

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-01-2004, 12:23 AM   #1
    sunset
    Inactive

sunset HB User
    Unhappy frozen shoulder

hi all
    what cause a frozen shoulder?....and can being trapped in that area cause balance problems..i have noticed since ive had it i seem to favour the right side of my body more ...the side that the frozen shoulder is...i also seem to walk stiffer and the stiff gait feeling seems to be coming from the area of the frozen shoulder i also cling to the ground with my toes and now my toes are so sore...i do have siatica but this feels connected somehow (and i know it sounds silly) to the shoulder problem...anyone have any ideas
    sunset

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 05:27 AM   #2
    dustie

dustie HB User
    Re: frozen shoulder

hi sunset: so sorry to hear you have frozen shoulder. it can be terribly painful (i had two at once three years ago, so i know the pain). frozen shoulder's official name is "adhesive capsulitis," and as i understand it, the fluid-like substance that connects the tissue and bone in the shoulder joint suddenly becomes very thick and glue-like, preventing the joint from its usual movement. (i never did find a reason for that thickening; i don't think the medical world knows why it happens.) the hardening of that substance causes the pain, as the tissue gets pulled when you try to move your shoulder or arm. tears can actually occur, so don't force it. mine took about 18 months to resolve, though the first 12 or so were the worst -- as the shoulders were "freezing" and while they were "frozen." as they start to "thaw," the pain lessens.

i don't know if there's a connection to your sciatica, but to me, with all this musculoskeletal stuff, anything is possible. with just one frozen shoulder, it seems entirely possible to me that it might throw off your gait as you try in every way to protect your shoulder and not move your arm. frozen shoulder, by its very nature, leads to a good deal of tension not only in that area but in other parts of the body as they try to adjust to and maybe compensate for your upper-body stiffness.

mostly you have to wait out frozen shoulder and perhaps begin p.t. only during the thawing stage; it needs rest during the first phases. but i'd suggest that you do everything you can to keep the rest of your body free of the tension it can cause -- warm soaks, loosening exercises (to the degree your sciatica allows), and relaxation/meditation practices.

good luck to you -- i know it stinks. but it will eventually resolve, so hang onto that thought.

dustie

Old 05-01-2004, 07:08 AM   #3
    sunset
    Inactive

sunset HB User
    Talking Re: frozen shoulder

thank you so much dusty
    gee two frozen shoulders now thats bad...i hope you are well now....did you think it would ever go away?
    thank you for your reply
    sunset

Old 05-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #4
    dustie

dustie HB User

you're welcome. yah, not one but two! my doc couldn't believe it -- he said, "this never happens! but here it is!" the one became frozen, and the other followed about 3 months later, so i had two at once for most of the 18 months. it was discouraging at times (who can sleep with those things!), but i kept reading that it really would go away, and it did. i just have slight tenderness now if i try to put my arms far behind my back; but that's easy enough to avoid. good luck to you; just be patient.
    dustie

Old 05-02-2004, 09:53 AM   #5
    standingman
    Veteran

standingman HB User

Hi Sunset--I don't think I have frozen shoulder in the formal way you describe--my sympathies to you. I do have one experience that may be relevant. I notice when I'm out walking for a while, I get a very tight, painful area along the top of my right shoulder. My primary back/leg stuff is low left. So this is the area diagonally across my back. My sense, with which some PTs have agreed, is that my upper back (trapezius?) on the right side is trying to lift/pull some of the pressure off the low/left side. Thus there may, indeed, be a relationship between sciatica and shoulders.

One thing I've found that helps is using trekking poles when I walk. I actually don't put them on the ground most of the time. I kind of swing them with each arm which gets my walk into a better rhythm and adds some upper body work. (Of course, also useful to have if the knees give out or the ground gets slippery!) I find that when I walk with the poles, which keeps both shoulder joints in motion, I get less of the tightness I described. Probably frozen shoulder is beyond being helped by this, but perhaps some gentle, modified version may help.

Standingman

Old 05-13-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
    janb

janb HB User

Hi Sunset:
    I currently have a frozen shoulder. It is painful and difficult to do your normal daily routine. One year ago I had a complete tear of my rotator cuff. I had surgery to correct this. Worst surgery I have ever been through. Soon after the surgery my shoulder froze. Surgeon took me to the O.R. and did a manipulation. (knocked me out and unfroze my shoulder) Not a pleasant experience. Since that time I have had 4 mri's. My rotator cuff is retorn and I now have 5 herniated discs. Before you try any pt I would try to get a doctor to order a MRI to see exactly what is going on. Whatever you do, don't consent to a manipulation without first getting the mri. I believe more damage can occur from this procedure. I am so scared now I don't want to have any more surgeries. I have been referred to another surgeon for my shoulder and back and I know I should go but I am scared. I am not telling you this to freak you out I just want you do get the MRI first before anyone messes with your shoulder. Its unbelievable how much we take our bodies for granted until we lose the use of a part of it. Good luck to you and I hope your outcome is better than my experience.
    Jan

Closed Thread