It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Doesn't anyone have a stiff spine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-27-2003, 09:17 AM   #1
    ChristinaD
    Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
    Post Doesn't anyone have a stiff spine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one?!
    I have been asking about this and aren't getting many responses.
    My lumbar is so stiff. It limits my mobility and if I do move the "wrong" way, it grabs me! My sacrum or SI joints are painful and stiff too. It is not like I am in alot of pain just when I move in ways I'm not suppose to, which is many! So if I continue to be a robot, I do okay!
    Does anyone have a stiff spine?

Christina

------------------
    27 years old:Complete thoracic fusion (13 levels)at age 17 due to scoliosis: Now, suffer from DDD in lumbar and sacroilliac joints, torn and ruptured discs, facet joint problems and arthritis of course.
    June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
    Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
    Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2003, 12:39 PM   #2
    successtory
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

successtory HB User
    Hi Christina,

No you aren't the only one. Your hams may be really tight. Pelvic tilts might help you with your mobility. To do them right, imagine your belly button touching your spine. There shouldn't be much hip movement at all...just a slight tilt that happens. Do 3 sets of 6. In between each set, put your hands behind your knee (on the thigh just under the knee) and gently pull down to your belly to stretch. If your leg below the knee turns inward...you need to keep doing the pelvic tilt sets until both legs can be easily stretched without the leg part below the knee bending inward as you stretch. Your mobility should become easier and more apparent after a few sessions, just don't overdo. Listen to your body and follow it's lead. I hope this helps a little with your stiff spine.

Oh yeah...pool therapy would be highly beneficial for you too. Make sure you have a good water therapist to work with, or you could hurt something. Controlled stretching and movement of body parts is what you need to get over the stiff spine...at least, in my humble opinion.

------------------
    successtory
    Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
    Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
    Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
    Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
    Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 02-27-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
    ChristinaD
    Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
    succestory,
    you really do believe this may be my problem.
    I just don't understand how to do the exercises you explained. Maybe you could give me more detailed instructions.
    Should I be sitting, standing?
    Do you mean sucking my belly in like it is touching my spine?
    Pulling my leg at my thigh below the knee?
    I'm confused!

------------------
    27 years old:Complete thoracic fusion (13 levels)at age 17 due to scoliosis: Now, suffer from DDD in lumbar and sacroilliac joints, torn and ruptured discs, facet joint problems and arthritis of course.
    June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
    Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
    Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Old 02-27-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
    karloff

karloff HB User
    I suggest you all look into Ankylosing Spondilitis which is Arthritis of the Spine. I believe a few of you may be suffering from this problem!!

Old 02-28-2003, 02:34 AM   #5
    jjkursed

jjkursed HB User
    Hi

My lumbar spine also gets really stiff. I damaged L1 and now all the vertebrae below L1 dont' move properly, they move together as one bone rather than individual bones and so restrict my movement (on good days I can bend to just below my knees, on bad days half way between the top of the legs and my knees). This may be what is causing you to feel so stiff.

I have found that stretching exercises have help, but don't do them if sore. I have found that if I exercise or swim when my back is sore immediately after finishing my back just becomes extremely stiff and tight feeling for the next few hours, so i don't think i'm really helping although I do get relief while stretching and swimming.

Hope this helps
    JJkursed

Old 02-28-2003, 12:55 PM   #6
    successtory
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

successtory HB User
    Hi Christina,

OK...for doing the exercise I mentioned above, you should be laying 'flat' on your back. You may want a pillow under your knees for comfort. Start with your first set of pelvic tilts. It is sort of like 'sucking in your stomach', but isolate the sucking in to just your belly button (use your imagination) hehe. Sucking up your tummy is different from sucking IN your tummy...you want to suck IN. So here you are on your back...and you've done your first set of pelvic tilts. Bring your knee up to your hands (as you reach down your hands to your knee) and connect your fingers behind the back of your thigh (right below your knee joint)--placing your hands in that spot versus holding your knee joint to pull-stretch is much easier on your body. When you pull the leg/knee down to your body, you will feel the pull throughout your back. Please only do as comfortable, don't over stretch or you will cause your spine to be even more stiff. Everything is gentle and slow (both going into the stretch and coming out of the stretch).

The water therapy is not swimming. It is therapy. There are stabilization exercises one does (against the pool wall--pelvic tilts, opposite arm/leg movements, balancing and strengthening techniques all done working with and against the water's buoyancy. I would suggest the stretches first....then the water therapy. See if the ham stretches work for you... you can move on to other exercises and such if this was a successful exercise for you.

Yes, you may also have arthritis....and these exercises will STILL be helpful to you (I believe). Another thing I can suggest....try some BIOFREEZE. It is FABULOUS for stiff spine sufferers. It is an icy-hot treatment with Ilex (a natural numbing agent), it is pure heaven after I exercise and stretch...takes those achy feelings away right now. I hope this helps, if you need more clarification...don't hesitate to write back! I am also curious to know if this works for you.

------------------
    successtory
    Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
    Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
    Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
    Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
    Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 02-28-2003, 07:51 PM   #7
    dawng

dawng HB User
    If you lay on your bed take a rope or a belt from a bathrobe or a sheet and pull it toward you like put your foot on the rope or whatever and pull it toward you also lean forward with one knee bent and one leg straight out. i do these every day its part of my physical therapy.

take care
    dawn

1992 diagnosed with scoliosis
    1993 wore millwakee brace
    1995 curve was corrected
    1996 was told i have Scheuermanns Kyphosis 60 degree curve
    1999 curve progressed to 65 degrees
    2000 curve was 72
    2002 curve was 77
    jan 10th 2003 had anterior and posterior spinal release fusion from t3-t11 with titanium rod and cage intrumentation to correct it along with iliac crest bone graft and a right thoracotomy rib graft i have a total of 2 large scars and one small one from bone grafting in the hip
    feb 2003 6 weeks post op and my curve is now 58 degrees i wear a tlso back brace to heal fusion

------------------

Closed Thread