It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lumbar Fusion Question, Instrument Removal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-07-2003, 06:47 PM   #1
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Question Lumbar Fusion Question, Instrument Removal

Hi All,

I'm four months post-op from a two level lumbar fusion with cages, rods, and screws L5-S1 & L2-L3
    (I had said five months earlier, but I'm actually four months post-op now, I'm getting ahead of myself now)

I'm at a stand still with PT, I just can't seem to get rid of this stinking swelling problem, and until I can address that, this stupid buldging muscle won't go down. (It runs through the swelling area)
    I still do the PT three times a week, I feel like it's making me worse, as stupid as that sounds.

I stated taking Vioxx, and that hasn't helped with the swelling either. The swelling did go down a little, but is now right back to where I started.
    I still can't lean my back on anything, and if I touch my lower back, I go through the roof
    It feels like I'm raw under the skin where the swelling is, it is very tender.

I can feel the metal 24/7 the doc says it's the muscles rubbing on the screws. He tells me to be patient, and he will re-evaulate me in July. Sitting is a total nightmare, I have a feeling like something is pushing on my low back from the inside.(The metal)

I think it is the screw placement that is causing all of the swelling, the X-Rays show I'm fusing great, but that doesn't mean anything to me now. I asked for a MRI, but was told to wait and see how I am in July when I return to see him. I see the PA at the end of April, but he won't be any help.

Does anybody know what testing is done prior to instrument removal ? I would assume an MRI or cat Scan, but I'm just not sure.

I don't think this problem is disc related, I firmly believe it is related to the metal placement.

My old pain is gone, but I'd take it back in a heartbeat if I had the chance to un-do the surgery.
    This new pain and problems are way worse than what I was dealing with before I had the surgery.

I hate the choice I made by having the fusion, I feel like I'll never live a normal life, I can no longer do my normal activities, I'm constantly reminded that I have had surgery 24/7.

I know it takes a year to see the most results, but I'm getting very worried now, as I think I should be feeling alot better than I am at this point.
    Most days I feel like my doctor is just down playing my symptoms.

I really think the problem is instrument related.

Does anybody have any answers or advice. I'd hate to have a repeat surgery.

I need to return to work on May 5th, I need to see some major improvements by then. I have no choice but to return to work, if I don't, I'll be wiped out financially, and I can't have that happen. I'm still appealing the LTD company (thanks to the Bitc* from my doctors office)

Oh Well, sorry for the venting, I just felt like I had to post something, or I'd blow my top.

Thanks for listening

Have a super evening [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Go S.U. (I'm watching right now)

Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 04-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
    eliseanne
    Inactive

eliseanne HB User
    Dear Baxter:

Sorry to hear that you are so uncomfortable with your hardware. As you know (you have been so helpful to me these past few months-its difficult to hear that your unhappy) I am going to have the tri-level fusion next Monday, I spoke with my doctor at the pre-op appt. and mentioned that I had heard the hardware is sometimes very sensitive. He did say that with people who are thinner this was a possiblity. He then told me that people have the hardware removed at some point. Have you spoke with your doctor about having the metal removed some time in the future? I do feel so bad for you and hope that the pain gets better for you. You have been such an inspiration for me and I can understand how you feel. I think the constant pain wears us down emotionally and physically. Lots of prayers going your way.

Elise

Old 04-07-2003, 09:19 PM   #3
    Telzey
    Senior Veteran

Telzey HB User
    Dear Baxter,
    I'm so sorry to hear what's going on with you! That is just not fair for you to have to go through all this suffering.

I have heard that hardware removal is a much easier process than the fusion. Like you, I believe that we know what's best for ourselves, better than the doctors. I would ask the doctor for an immediate appointment, saying you'd like him to remove your hardware. If he won't do it, get a second opinion. Find another doctor who will remove the hardware. Maybe you'll have to be a little bit more careful moving around because your spine will be more unstable without those screws, but even if you have to stay in a brace, it will be better than all this pain!

Maybe the swelling and bulging muscle are being caused by the irritation of the screws? I think you should see about getting that hardware out of you!

Just my opinion, of course. Not that I have any medical training whatsoever! But I really care about you and am so worried for you. I am sending you tons and tons of prayers.

I haven't been reading or posting much on the boards because I am back at work and have been incredibly busy balancing work with my PT appointments and all the catching up I have to do. But I saw your post tonight and had to reply. I am so sorry!

Good luck getting your hardware removed.

Love,
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Telzey

------------------
    4 years of back pain
    Annular tear L5-S1 diagnosed 5/02 via MRI
    IDET 12/2/02
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Lateral disc prolapse causes buttock and thigh pain and numbness.
    3/25/03 Successfully used McKenzie techniques to treat disc prolapse -- now pain free!
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!

Old 04-08-2003, 10:54 AM   #4
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Elise & Telzey,

Thank you both for listening [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Wow, I was sure on a venting rampage !! Grrrrrrrr (sorry)

I had a long discussion today with the two physical therapists I see. They agreed that there must be some sort of hardware problem here, they have never seen anybody with this much discomfort at four months post-op.

I'm exactly back to where I started pre PT, and that is not a good thing.

They have now dropped me down to two days of PT until I can get some answers, and said no back exercises laying on my back until I see some improvement. I already had an updated script stating that anyways.

They have suggested that I demand for my doctor to order either an MRI or Cat Scan, at least we can rule things out by going that route.

I don't like the thought of having the hardware removed, but I will do it, if it is found to be the cause of my pain and swelling.
    I really believe the screws need some adjusting, who knows, maybe the cages and rods also.
    The L5-S1 area is the only problem, I seem to be fine at L2-3. I would rather have the problem at L2-3, as then my sitting would not be such a tough ordeal.

My doctor said I should never have to have the metal removed, as it supports the spine, and I imagine I would at least have to finish fusing first.
    Of course, this was all told to me prior to having the surgery though.

The doctor is off today, so tomorrow I have to call the PA in the afternoon and have him relay my concerns to the doctor. I don't mind doing it that way, at least I like my PA, he always listens.

Hopefully I can get some answers soon, I sure hope he doesn't think I'm going to wait until July for new scans, as I need to get better now, so I can return to work on May 5th. There is no way I can handle working if I don't see improvement by then.

Elise,

I wish you well on the upcoming surgery, please don't let my story make you nervous, I just had a bad outcome, but I know you will be just fine
    I hope that you have an easy, successful recovery period.

Telzey,

I hope you continue to see improvement, I bet you are so excited to be back to work. I hope the PT really helps, and that you will be totally fixed for life

Once again, thank you so much, I really appreciate you both taking the time to respond, it means so much to me.

Well, I better go now, I have to go look for the light at the end of the tunnel.

Take Care,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 04-09-2003, 01:08 PM   #5
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Girls,

Well, the big words of the day are to "Just Deal", and "Be Patient"
    I'm so sick of hearing those words

I spoke to the Physicians Assistant today, and was told that I'm still trying to rush this recovery. The sad part, is that he may be right, and I hate to admit that, especially when my body is telling me different.
    He said each patient has a different type of recovery, so I can't compare myself to anybody else.

He said that my X-Rays look perfect, and that X-Rays are much better at looking at instrument placement, than MRI's or Cat Scans. I guess the metal comes out to dark on the scans anyways.

He said my main discomfort is from the muscles being in spasm, as well as rubbing on the screws. Each time I make any type of movement, my muscles are still having spasms, thus the buldging muscle feeling.
    He said that they cut through the muscle, before retracting it during surgery, and it may be many more months before the muscle gains it's strength back.
    (I guess that makes some sense)

He said he will check with the doctor regarding epidurals, but is quite sure they won't help the muscle discomfort, they only help with nerve induced pain.
    I wish they could just use a huge needle and drain out all of this swelling, then maybe I wouldn't keep going in this viscious cycle.

He said to continue with PT twice a week, as maybe three times a week was too much, too fast.

My pain level remains at a 5-6 pain level, I can deal with that, it's the constant off the scale discomfort that is doing me in.

Just one day, I'd like to be able to go to bed, or wake up, without the constant discomfort. Heck, I'd even take a half a day.

He feels very bad that there are no quick fixes here, and believes I will get better over the next few months.

These type of problems are just something that can happen after surgery, and I guess I was the lucky one !! (Story of my life)

He understands my frustration and concerns, but the only other way to rule out an instrument problem, is to go back in a take a look.
    I don't want to have to go that route, so I will give it a few more months.

I have decided not to get a second opinion yet, as by the time I could get into a new doctor anyway, I will be ready for my next evaluation from my current doctor.
    Hopefully by then, I will see some improvement.
    I see the PA at the end of April, so maybe I'll even see some improvement by then, but I sure won't be holding my breath.

I just wanted to give you an update, and I hope you are all having a pain free day

I will just hang in there for now, as my options are very limited.

Please take care, and I hope you have a super evening

Be Well,

------------------

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 04-09-2003).]

Old 04-09-2003, 04:55 PM   #6
    surfdaddy

surfdaddy HB User
    Hi Baxter
    I agree with everyone else. Get the metal out of your back. This is one of the main reasons I have not had a fusion done myself (yet). As a younger man I had shattered my ankle on a motorcycle and had pins, screws and wires in there and they bothered me from day 1. I had them removed and everything was much better. I would think your back is way more sensitive to all that hardware. Good luck and keep up the great advice and optimism on the message board.

Mark

Old 04-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #7
    L5S1
    (male)

L5S1 HB User
    Hi Baxter

I am sorry I have not reported to you on my progresss with the hardware removed but I was waiting until I saw the doctor and got the staples out on Friday. I am almost 2 weeks post hardware removal (right side only) and I have already noticed the swelling is less prior to the surgery (but again I have not done very much since the surgery execpt to work on Monday). I am optimistic the hardware was the cause of my problem.

I am sorry you are not progressing with the PT and the swelling has not improved. As I mentioned before, I wish there was a way to for post-op fusion patients to know the difference between post-op fusion pain and hardware complications. It seems like the doctor wants to wait almost a year before they want to perform surgery again. This is the reason I went to the chiro my doctor recommended so I could have another doctor support a hardware problem. But I would hate for you to wait 7 months post-op to correct the problem as I did.

I hope you begin to feel better soon [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

2 Nerve Root Blocks (no effect)
    L5/S1 Posterior Fusion with hardware (no BAK cages due to lack of disk space) - August 2002
    Right side hardware removed due to loose screw and rod rubbing against facet joint - March 2003
    Sciatica returned 8/03 - Tried Neurontin and Elavil - Eased sciatica but could not tolerate medicine.
    11/03 MRI of cervical and thorasic spine

Old 04-09-2003, 05:24 PM   #8
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for the support, I'm so glad that your ankle turned out much better after the hardware removal [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

I'm so glad that you are holding off on the fusion route, it is not an easy one to take, and it certainly is not always the total fix that the doctors describe [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img] or want people to believe.

I know that we do have success stories out there, but I have read far more horror stories than success stories.
    I have learned that the single level fusions have a much better success rate.

I think having the L5-S1 area fused is the toughest area, as that part of the body is constantly being used, mainly sitting aggravates the pain and swelling, and I can't be expected to stand the rest of my life.
    I seem to be fine with the L2-3 area being fused.

I look at it as a gamble I took with high hopes of a good outcome.

I just traded one type of pain for a much worse type for the time being

I will give the doctor the benefit of the doubt for now, but I assured them that if I see no relief by July, that I do want the metal out. By then, I would have 7 months of fusing in, and may not need the support the metal provides. (Complete fusion takes one year)
    (I would hate to rush into it now, I guess there still is a chance of improvement by then)

And to think that I actually believed the surgery success rates, what an IDIOT I was [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img] (for my head) Grrrrrrrrrrrr !!

Thanks for reading my pity party story, and I hope you can find the right pain relief soon for yourself

Be Well,

------------------

Old 04-09-2003, 05:32 PM   #9
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Hi Baxter

I wanted to let you know that I am very sorry that you are experiencing a lot of pain.

I have read several posts on this message board, and I wanted to let you know, that you are a very caring and uplifting person!

You are always there to encourage, advise, and wish people the best of luck, even when you are at your worst! Try not to let this pain, crush your spirits [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img]

I thought maybe you could use some words of encouragement and advice to try and lift your spirits, since you are feeling frustrated and discouraged at this time.

I am sorry to hear that you feel worst after your surgery.. and that you regret having it. But try to give yourself more time to heal.. and try not to compare your recovery to others. We all heal differently..and some take longer then others!

Also, always listen to your intuition, if you think that the hardware is causing all the problems, then that is what it probably is. If you don't think you will ever get better because of it, then get the hardware out.

You know your body better then anyone, if it doesn't feel right, then it's not..regardless of what the doctor says. If the thought of having surgery to have the hardware removed..scares you, then think of it this way, you are already in a lot of pain..so how worst can it be?

Baxter you have been through a lot according to your signature..and I know that you will pull through this. Don't try and be wonderwoman, allow yourself TIME and REST!! You will get better...I have faith in you!

Look back on your posts, and heed to the advice, encouragement you gave others, and then you will be on the road to recovery Sometimes the advice you give others, is exactly the advice you need.

I hope that your recovery time, speeds up for you, so you are able to go back to work in May!

Keep your chin up, and I will say a prayer for you.

Brenda [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
    July 2002: EMG
    Feb 2003: Prolotherapy
    March 2003: Discogram, Showed left posterolateral radial tear @ L4-L5 and more diffuse annular tear @ L5-S1.
    April 2003: Transforamital Injection
    May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection, Finally got some relief from the hip, groin, butt and leg pain. This injection worked the best!
    May 2003: Second Opinion, Doctor Suggested Disc Replacement as my only option.
    May 2003: Postponed Nucleoplasty
    June 2003: Went to Psychiatrist for depression.
    July 2003 - Present: Trying to take one day at a time, and learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Old 04-09-2003, 05:54 PM   #10
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi L5S1,

No need to apologize, I'm just so relieved to hear that you are noticing some improvement [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

Wow, and I always thought 7 was my lucky number, I guess I'll find out at seven months if I need the follow up surgery for hardware removal.

I like you, only believe that "some" of the metal is causing the aggravation I'm seeing (vicious cycle)

The doctor has already told me the muscles are rubbing on the screws, I was looking for some other fix to address that problem now, but there is none available.
    I want it out today, but I'm not ready yet to cross that bridge (very close though) I know you can fully relate, especially having gone through the same exact problems yourself.

I tried to drill what you said in his head today "knowing the difference between post-op fusion pain and hardware complications"
    I know my body well, and told him so, this is not normal post-op pain, I can deal with the pain, just not all of this discomfort that highly interferes with my life.

I insisted that my body was telling me to have the hardware removed, but you know the drill, they think they know best, but if in a few months I am correct, I will love to say "I told you so" with a big smile on my face.

In the meantime, I will "just deal", God help them if I get worse, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of what I will lay on them.

This frustration has really taken a toll on me, I'm becoming miserable, and I just resent that so much.
    I'm usually so happy, and this is driving me nuts.
    It so hard to deal with this 24/7, maybe if I could see a little lasting improvement, I'd have a better attitude about this whole mess I got into.
    Then again, I didn't create this mess, it was caused by an 18 year old driver that was not paying attention and drove right into my car !!
    I should really be venting to her right now.

Geez, and I thought they would jump on the offer to do another surgery, they so much love the money it makes them.

I really appreciate you letting me know how things are progressing with you, I think in a short time that you will be able to live that good life that we all strive for, or just simply want back.

Good times are ahead for all of us [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

I guess I'll just have to continue going to the bar on Fridays and make my own fun until my body wants to cooperate with me (I can handle that, at least I feel whole then)

I will be praying hard that the surgery you had will put an end to all of your back pain

Please take it easy at work, you don't need to take any steps backwards, especially seeing how far you have come [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Thanks again, and I hope you have a wonderful evening, you have once again reminded me that there is hope out there, I just have to find it [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Be Well,

------------------

Old 04-09-2003, 06:07 PM   #11
    L5S1
    (male)

L5S1 HB User
    Hi Baxter

I guess we are crossing each other between the two posts!!! One thing I forgot to mention. My wife let me drive for the first time on Tuesday to work and you can guess what happened another driver hit me from behind. Fortunately, the driver did not hit me very hard and there wasn't any damage to my car. The one thing any of the posters here need is to be any car accidents after what we have been through!!!

Have a nice evening
    2 Nerve Root Blocks (no effect)
    L5/S1 Posterior Fusion with hardware (no BAK cages due to lack of disk space) - August 2002
    Right side hardware removed due to loose screw and rod rubbing against facet joint - March 2003
    Sciatica returned 8/03 - Tried Neurontin and Elavil - Eased sciatica but could not tolerate medicine.
    11/03 MRI of cervical and thorasic spine

Old 04-09-2003, 06:13 PM   #12
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Brenda,

Thank you sooooooooooo much for your posting [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Your encouragement and reminders will help me alot, and I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, as well as everybody else that has, you guys are the best, I really mean that [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

You hit the nail on the head, what I really need to do now, is to keep the faith.

I concentrate so much on never giving up the fight, that I tend to forget to keep the faith, it just takes so much out of a person.

I find when I post and reply to others, that it makes me feel better about myself, and takes my mind off of my own problems.

It's not very often when I actually start a thread myself, that is when I know I'm getting bad off.
    I'm so glad that I found this place, I have loved it since day one, and plan on sticking around for a long time to come.
    I always wonder how we all managed before finding these boards, they are a life saver for me.

I will do my best at practicing what I preach, I just need to [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img] it in my thick head !!!

I hope you all have a pain free Thursday coming up, and I will be praying extra for all of us

Please have a peaceful evening

Take Care,

------------------

Old 04-09-2003, 06:25 PM   #13
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi L5S1,

Wow, that is terrible, I'm so glad that you were not hurt, can you imagine causing further damage after what you have been through.
    The thought of that makes me want to puke.

You must have been terrified and so worried, not to mention I bet furious !!

I guess you do really have the same shi* luck that I have. Maybe we are due for something good to happen for a change......... that would be so nice
    I'm starting to like the feeling of that thought, if I can only remember to keep thinking positive [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

The same thing happened to (Isillyme) She is waiting for back surgery now, and another driver hit her and messed up her neck and made her back worse.

I always wonder how we are chosen for the path that we are now on, I think it is because we are strong, but I do believe it is time for a break [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img]

I hope that the jarring didn't cause any damage that just hasn't shown up yet, I will pray that you keep doing well, and don't have any further trouble

Wow, you are correct, I keep crossing paths with the postings, what a busy night this has been.

I think I'll actually go to bed early tonight, I should probably force myself to get more sleep now before I have to return to work.

Have a peaceful evening [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Take Care,

------------------

Old 04-09-2003, 10:36 PM   #14
    Telzey
    Senior Veteran

Telzey HB User
    Dear Baxter,
    I really agree with Brenda. You must listen to your intuition about your body. When I started listening to that inner voice, and stopped listening to my doctor, I had a nearly miraculous improvement in my pain.

I really think you should get a second opinion. It may feel satisfying to be able to tell your doc "I told you so" but I hate to think of you going through more months of pain and disability for that slim satisfaction.

My intuition is telling me you NEED to get that hardware out of there NOW. Find a doc who will do it ASAP!!!!

Sorry to be so blunt, but you have been so kind and caring to me and so many others when you were in terrible pain, that I feel strongly you deserve to be pain-free NOW. Please forgive me if I'm overstepping here. I just worry about you, my dear!!!

Lots and lots of love, whatever you decide.
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Telzey

------------------
    4 years of back pain
    Annular tear L5-S1 diagnosed 5/02 via MRI
    IDET 12/2/02
    3/9/03 Lateral disc prolapse causes buttock and thigh pain and numbness.
    3/25/03 Successfully used McKenzie techniques to treat disc prolapse -- now pain free!
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!

Old 04-10-2003, 08:16 AM   #15
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Telzey,

Thank you so very much for your concern and encouragement, you have always been a great help to me, and you are not overstepping in anyway [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

I did make a few phone calls yesterday, I wouldn't be able to get into a new doctors office until the July-August range, so I have decided to deal with this issue the best that I can for now, until I can see my own doctor again in July. If at that point, I don't feel satisfied, I will be seeing somebody new.
    Even if I was able to see my doctor today, there is not much he can do for me.
    They are certain that I should see improvement by then.
    I guess I'm just trapped in this waiting game stage.

If I get worse, or have trouble once I return to work, I can guarantee you that I will demand to get in to see my doctor sooner, if he dismisses my concerns, I will tell him that I'm moving on to another doctor.

Besides my own doctor, there is only one other doc that I would even consider touching me, and it takes 6 months to see him, Isillyme sees him, she lives in my area, he is top notch.

My doctor is also highly recommended, I do feel comfortable with him, and trust him, that is why I'm willing to give this some more time.

I'm 100% positive that this trouble is not caused by anything he did wrong, I have a long history of swelling problems after any surgeries that I have had, and I've had several.
    I feel strongly that once this stupid muscle gets stronger, and once the swelling decreases, that I may be able to look back on this and be happy that I waited it out.

I really am not totally ready to go under the knife yet.

Another thing I was told is that because I'm not having any trouble fusing, and that my X-Rays look great, that another doctor may not be too comfortable going in to look around.
    My doctor has been in my back before, so I would feel much better if he is the one to go back in if needed.

I never trust a doctor over my own instinct, so this will be the first time I'm going to put faith in what a doctor has told me, and I trust I'm making the best choice for now.

I hope this makes some sense, I would love to rip everything out today (mentally), but I'm just not ready for another surgery now that the doctor has planted that seed of doubt in me.

I keep thinking "what if he is right" and I'm just not being patient enough, that alone is making me hesitate on getting another opinion at this time.

Maybe at four months post-op, he may just be right.

It's not knowing the answers to the "what ifs" that is driving me crazy [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif[/img]

Who knows, maybe I'll be singing a new tune in time, and I have to just keep praying for that

I really appreciate, value, and agree with your thoughts.

I hope that things are still going well for you.

You sound so much better now, and that I'm so thankful for, maybe I can join in on the success soon [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

I hope things are also going well for you at work, I know how happy you were to be able to return.

Please keep up the good work, and the great attitude that you have, you will have such a happy life.

Take Care,

------------------

[This message has been edited by BAXTER (edited 04-10-2003).]

Closed Thread