It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Disc Replacement With 'Pro Disc'

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-15-2002, 11:51 AM   #1
    Dave H

Dave H HB User
    Post Disc Replacement With 'Pro Disc'

I'm thinking of having a compressed disc replaced with a Pro Disc.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has undergone the procedure as a neurosurgeon I visited in Spain has told me that the results are "spectacular".

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
    Husker
    Inactive

Husker HB User
    Hi, Dave H

Welcome to the boards. You'll find good people here with lots of knowledge and good listeners!

I think that the prosthetic discs here in the states are still in the clinical trial stage There are several of us here on the board that are waiting for them to be approved. We'll be all over it! Understand that the trials are going real well.

Sorry this wasn't much help. Hope someone else has more information for you and, if I'm wrong about them still being in the trial stage, someone let me know ... welcome again!

Husker .............

Old 09-16-2002, 04:43 AM   #3
    spineally challenged
    (male)

spineally challenged HB User
    Hi Dave
    Artificial discs are being used in the UK....
    I live in Exeter and am some way along the road of seeing if artificial discs can help with my problems. I have been seeing a really good ortho doc at the Royal Devon and Exeter who puts these things in called Dr Daniel Chan. He uses the SB Charite III which is the other make of these things..
    Most experience with artificial discs is in Germany the best known being Dr Zeegers at the Alpha Klinic in Germany.

Best wishes
    Tim

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 02-19-2003).]

Old 09-16-2002, 04:56 AM   #4
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi,

I just heard on T.V. a minute ago, that the pro-disc might be approved for use more often in the USA in 2-3 years.
    It was just on CSB news watch.
    It is only being used for case studies at this point, at least that is what they said on the news.
    Keep us informed if you have this procedure.
    The woman that they interviewed, is virtually pain free after a car accident.

Take Care,
    Baxter

Old 09-16-2002, 05:49 AM   #5
    emeraldbee
    Inactive

emeraldbee HB User
    Hi, Dave and 'Welcome to our world"

You will find good friends and some of the most knowledgable people in the world on this board. I know nothing about artificial discs so this post was an eye-opener in itself. **** luck with your procedure, and remember this is also a good place to vent if you ever need to.

Now, to the US peeps,
    Anybody know why we are so FAR behind in getting these things? [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img]

Take care, all and God's blessings go with you [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Old 09-16-2002, 09:15 AM   #6
    Dave H

Dave H HB User
    Cool

Many thanks to everyone that has replied to my enquiry about Pro Discs. It's been very useful.
    All the best
    Dave

Old 09-17-2002, 02:53 PM   #7
    thehomechicken

thehomechicken HB User
    Hi Dave,

I had disc replacement surgery this past June. I got the SB Charite III disc, the other disc being tested in the US. I was also told that the results this far have been spectacular, but as of yet, have not been so fortunate myself.

Let me know if you want details about the surgery or recovery and I'll be happy to provide them.

Old 09-17-2002, 06:35 PM   #8
    SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
    HomeChicken... Where did you have your surgery at? What doctor? I just read that the only place to get it done in the united states is at the Texas Back Institute in Plano. Experimental only so far. I would like to here about your surgery..

------------------

Sher

Old 09-17-2002, 08:37 PM   #9
    rws95490

rws95490 HB User
    Smile

I am scheduled for a disc replacement myself. I am going into a program to be elgible for Prodisc. I have a 2 out of 3 chance of recieving the Prodisc. If I don't get them, I will be fused. The program is totally random. You have no control on what you will get! You just take your chances. I was told that they will probably be approved in 4 years, after they test them on us ginny pigs! HA! If you are in the pain I am in, you really don't care. Good Luck!!!

Old 09-18-2002, 07:03 AM   #10
    thehomechicken

thehomechicken HB User
    Hi SherryElaine,

I did indeed have the procedure done at the Texas Back Institute in Plano. I was told the surgery would be a breeze, and I would be back to work in 2 weeks. Well, the pain following the surgery was horrendous, and I have a pretty strong pain tolerance too. It took me almost 2 months to make it back to work, and I feel like I probably went back before my body was ready for me to. I walked with a cane for about 3 weeks. I am still in phsyical therapy, also. At this point, my pain level is worse than before the surgery. There was another woman who had her disc replacement the same day as me, and recovered much more quickly.

I last saw the Dr. Friday, and he says my continued pain may be due to a problem with my facet joints, which some people get after having the procedure done. So now I am waiting to have facet injections done, and if those help, a rhizotomy. (sp?)

From what I have heard, the surgery is great for some people...but then there are others for whom it does not work as quickly or as well. I will keep everyone posted on how mine goes though, as it looks like I'm the only one on here so far who has had it done. These boards are great for getting the info the doctors don't tell you!!

Hope you have a good day.

Old 09-18-2002, 07:21 AM   #11
    thehomechicken

thehomechicken HB User
    Oh yeah, I though I would add...the SB Charite III Disc is still in FDA trials. However, it is in the phase 2 trial. This means that the doctor gets to pick who gets the disc, and who gets the fusion; no surprises after you wake up!

Old 09-18-2002, 08:07 AM   #12
    SherryElaine

SherryElaine HB User
    Thanks for the info HomeChicken. I have been to the Texas Back Institute a few times myself for a cervial neck problem and I see Dr. Zigler and I know he did a surgery on a lady that had low back pain using the pro-disk? inplant and her surgery turned out great and she is pain free. They were even on the local news here. I am facing a cervical fusion in the future and also have low back pain, that does not require surgery yet. I wish the best to you and hope you get well soon.

------------------

Sher

Old 09-18-2002, 01:57 PM   #13
    Tony111
    (male)

Tony111 HB User
    Hi thehomechicken,

Hope you start to feel better real soon!

Do keep us posted as I am(and I know others here)intersted in any info on the artificial discs!

Thanks again,
    Tony
    C7 - Psuedarthosis(collapse of bone graft and chronic nonunion)
    T1,T2,T3-Herniations
    L4-5&5-S1 - Surgical Fusions with Instrumentations-2001
    Spinal DDD
    Chronic Headaches
    Fibromyalgia
    Chronic Pain Syndrome
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Old 09-18-2002, 02:38 PM   #14
    AAA

AAA HB User
    I'm new to all this back crap, you are all far more informed thanI,but....... I had asked my PT about a "fake" disc as I have a ruptured L5/S1 that lost most of its fluid (I am recovering from a Micro-d). She wrinkled her nose and said that some of the press has been hyping such things, but professionally she was being told that these discs essentially are not working long term - yet. I hope these more advanced trials mean thqt they have new/better options. Be cautious. As I have learned recently, we only get one back!

Old 02-18-2003, 08:54 AM   #15
    lakezurich

lakezurich HB User
    Lightbulb

Hi Dave,
    I wonder if you had a disc replaced in the meantime and if yes, what your experience is, particularly if you used Prodisc.For your info, I am not affected myself but have developed some knowledge by helping introduce a fusion device which would compete against a non-fusion product like Prodisc(I am not a medical person though).
    In case you have not yet done the procedure my only recomendation would be to get any information available about clinical data of the implant you will use, including pain data and it should include a sizeable number of patients. The FDA is also a good source if the product has been introduced to the US already. Prodisc of course is only at 510K level yet so you would need to get European information available.
    Thanks in advance,
    L.

[quote]Originally posted by Dave H:
    [b]I'm thinking of having a compressed disc replaced with a Pro Disc.
    I would like to hear from anyone who has undergone the procedure as a neurosurgeon I visited in Spain has told me that the results are "spectacular".[/b][/quote]

Closed Thread