It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Burning foot

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-30-2004, 05:58 PM   #1
    texjoann

texjoann HB User
    Burning foot

Hi there, I haven't been on but a couple of times since I had the surgery on my back. I had some of the bone on my transverse process removed, I have a transitional vertebrae. I was doing really well after surgery as far as my back pain, however now a whole new can of worms has opened up.

I am in tremendous pain in my foot and leg. I went back for the post op and they said it was due to the sciatic nerve had been pinched for the last three years and it is now waking up. I got an injection of some numbing medicine in my calf of my leg and it helped for that day. The next morning the pain was still there, although some of it in my leg was gone. I went back and they put in some more medicine this time in my ankle. Now I just mainly have one circular area on my outer claf and about a 2-3 inch area from between my big and middle toes up toward my inner ankle. I called the Dr back and they said come in Tuesday for more injection, this time between the toes so hopefully the rest of the pain will go away.

This pain is worse than the pain I had prior to surgery. It feels like a burning itchin sensation. The burning is like somebody puring hot burning oil on my foot, and the pain is a throb.

Has anyone ever had this happen after surgery? I have an appointment for the pain medicine clinic the 25 of June, and they may put in a catheter to gradualy drop in medicine. (that's what the Dr said anyway)

I also have a steady aching pain on teh inner surface of the bottom of my foot. When I showed the Dr where the pain is he said that was exactly where the sciatic nerve runs.

Has any body got any hints for how to deal with this pain? I can't sleep and I've been taking plenty of percocet. Also got back on oxycontin and zanaflex. The Dr gave me elavil, 10 mg, but I got sick and threw up for twenty four hours after taking it and had to be admitted to the hospital for 3 days. And the Internal Meicine Dr said not to take the elavil any more at all and try to not take the percocet. Well Not taking pain pills is out of the question. I wait as long as I can, but then I have to. I have started to try taking just excedrin, which works during the day, but to sleep, I have to take something stronger.

I hope someone can give me some advice.
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2004, 12:17 AM   #2
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Re: Burning foot

I have a herniated disc in my back, four years now, physical therapy was like a miracle. Well, I've been overdoing yard work, like hauling bags of pea gravel & soil & thought I had my sciatica all out of place too. Finally got back into PT on Friday & the pain is almost non existant already. I had pain, burning from my lower back, down my thigh to my knee. I firmly believe in PT. I tried a chiro first, thinking she could just pop the sciatica a few times & I'd be fine, well every visit to her the pain just got worse. So, now I'm back in PT and feeling much better. Did you do any PT after surgery? It is very important to do PT after surgery on the back, it can actually prevent scar tissue in the future that can cause back pain again.

Old 05-31-2004, 01:48 AM   #3
    Pawlock

Pawlock HB User

[QUOTE=texjoann]Hi there, I haven't been on but a couple of times since I had the surgery on my back. I had some of the bone on my transverse process removed, I have a transitional vertebrae. I was doing really well after surgery as far as my back pain, however now a whole new can of worms has opened up.

I am in tremendous pain in my foot and leg. I went back for the post op and they said it was due to the sciatic nerve had been pinched for the last three years and it is now waking up. I got an injection of some numbing medicine in my calf of my leg and it helped for that day. The next morning the pain was still there, although some of it in my leg was gone. I went back and they put in some more medicine this time in my ankle. Now I just mainly have one circular area on my outer claf and about a 2-3 inch area from between my big and middle toes up toward my inner ankle. I called the Dr back and they said come in Tuesday for more injection, this time between the toes so hopefully the rest of the pain will go away.

This pain is worse than the pain I had prior to surgery. It feels like a burning itchin sensation. The burning is like somebody puring hot burning oil on my foot, and the pain is a throb.

Has anyone ever had this happen after surgery? I have an appointment for the pain medicine clinic the 25 of June, and they may put in a catheter to gradualy drop in medicine. (that's what the Dr said anyway)

I also have a steady aching pain on teh inner surface of the bottom of my foot. When I showed the Dr where the pain is he said that was exactly where the sciatic nerve runs.

Has any body got any hints for how to deal with this pain? I can't sleep and I've been taking plenty of percocet. Also got back on oxycontin and zanaflex. The Dr gave me elavil, 10 mg, but I got sick and threw up for twenty four hours after taking it and had to be admitted to the hospital for 3 days. And the Internal Meicine Dr said not to take the elavil any more at all and try to not take the percocet. Well Not taking pain pills is out of the question. I wait as long as I can, but then I have to. I have started to try taking just excedrin, which works during the day, but to sleep, I have to take something stronger.

I hope someone can give me some advice.
    Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I,ve had the burning foot pain you describe pre and post op,( like somebody stubbing a cigerette out on the top of your foot). I normally get this at night, although a lot less now and mainly when I sleeep on my back. You could try sleeping on your side or elevating your feet by putting pillows under your knees which reduces the tension in the nerve hopefully.

Old 06-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #4
    texjoann

texjoann HB User

Thanks everyone,
    No they didn't have me do any PT because all they did was trim off some of the bone. They didn't do anything major. No fusing or anything. They just inserted a laporoscopic tube and trimmed the bone from where it was grating. They told me I didn't need anything else from that point. I went in on April 12th at 5 a.m. and got home by noon the same day. I didn't even have any pain when I stood up right after the surgery. They just told me to rest, and gradually ease back into my regular routine, and not to lift anything over ten pounds for a couple of weeks, but that was just so I wouldn't open the incision.
    I hadn't really been too incapacitated beforehand, just limited by the pain. I'd get in pain anytime I did anything strenuous. I still climb my stairs a hundred times a day, play with the grandkids and stuff. I just couldn't stand still or sit in one place for very long. I still have a little tenderness when I stand or sit a long time, but I imagine that is just a matter of being not used to it.

I went back to the Dr yesterday and they put in some more lidocaine and marcaine in my ankle and between my big toe and middle toes. He told me all this stuff about the nerves and that evidently when they were in there with the surgical instruments they probably got up against the nerves. A great portion of the pain is gone today. The numbing medicine lasted until this morning. They put it in at 9 a.m. yesterday.

I still have to go to pain medicine clinic and see what else they want to do for the sciatic pain. I guess after the major injury goes down the pain will come and go.

I am just happy that right now the major portion of the burning is gone. The achy pain I could deal with, but the burning was out of this world. I was sitting around with an ice pack on my foot most of the time.

Hopefully I won't have to go through any more surgery. Since they took the part of the bone that was grating together my back pain is mostly gone. I think the residual pain there is just because that area was traumatized so long, that it will take more time for the areas tissues to go back to normal.

I have been elevating my foot, they told me to do that. And I have fixed a pillow where the covers don't touch my feet.

I am just glad to have a place to be able to talk about this frustrating problem.

Closed Thread