It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• spinal cord stimulator

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2003, 01:48 PM   #16
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Tootieb,

Wow, you have been through so much, I think that miracle is coming really soon.

I feel the same, I'm 37, and feel like I have been through so many surgeries, that by the time I'm 50, I will be in tip top shape

We will have relief, I just have to keep reminding myself of that

I hope things get better for you real soon [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

Please take care of yourself, and I will be thinking about you as well

Be Well,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2003, 07:31 AM   #17
    risajayney

risajayney HB User
    Cool

Hi, I was wondering if you ever got the spinal stimulator...I am going in for the temp. in two days.I also had mixed feelings, but at this point I am so tired of being in pain that I will try anything.I had an IDET last year that was unsuccesful...alot of money for nothing, this procedure will be covered by my insurance so I feel a little better about that.I would like to hear more about your experience with this if you had it done.thanks!

------------------
    risajayney

Old 03-12-2003, 12:45 PM   #18
    curvil

curvil HB User
    Talking

Hi risajayney
    No I dident have the stimulator put in yet, I go tomorrow for the so-called psyc eval, I am still so scared I dont know if I am scared about the procedure itself and the extra pain assoicated with in or the everyday pain I have. Its all really scary. Would you please be so kind to let me know how yours went? I would be most anxious to know all the details. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]
    I truely wish you the best. I will be waiting to here from you, thanks for replying [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    laminectomy 1999
    discectomy 2001
    spinal fusion L5S1 2002
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome
    right leg and foot numbness, loss of sensation, burning pain
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome

Old 03-18-2003, 06:04 AM   #19
    gege

gege HB User
    I've had surgery on 10/29/03 for removal of L5S1 with cage. On 3-4-03 this was removed and a bone stimulator inserted internal and wearing a brace for 3 months. I'm like you with the meds, so forgetful and I'm still being hopeful that this will work. Keep faith and be positive. We can get through this and if I get more information that might help I will pass it on. thanks

Old 03-18-2003, 06:17 AM   #20
    curvil

curvil HB User
    Talking

Hi blocdoc
    I went to the site you recommended, THANK-YOU!!!!
    It sure had a very informative and very good descriptive overall view of most procedures, I recommed this site to anyone who has questions, be it fusion or more entailed surgeries, thanks again, I am going back to the site to read more, thanks again [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    laminectomy 1999
    discectomy 2001
    spinal fusion L5S1 2002
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome

Old 03-18-2003, 06:21 AM   #21
    curvil

curvil HB User
    Talking

Hi gege
    Sorry to hear your going through all this, I really appreciate all the feedback, I pray your procedure helps because then there is hope for me. Try the site blocdoc recommended, its very informative. I will be praying for you and hope you will finally get some relief. Yes please let me know how youre doing and your progress, thanks for posting. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    laminectomy 1999
    discectomy 2001
    spinal fusion L5S1 2002
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome

Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 AM   #22
    emc

emc HB User
    Hi all, I am new to this discussion board. I am looking for information from anyone who has had to have a stimulator replaced. When looking through the posts I came across this thread. I have had a stimulator for 5 years due to nerve pain after a discectomy at the L3-4 level(failed back syndrome). I also have protusions at the L4-5 and L5-S1 level. I did have a 60-70% reduction in pain when the stimulator was first inserted which decreased to about 50% over the years.. The surgery took about 5 hours and was difficult because you are awake during it. You need to be able to tell the surgeon when the stimulation is covering your pain area. I also had two leads placed because of pain in both legs. There were a few times that a certain nerve was touched and I felt an intense horrible electrical jolt. Recovery peroid was not bad at all. It was not painful ~ just antsy because of retrictions on bending, lifting and twisting for 6 weeks.
    I am was able to back to work with the help of neurontin, nortriptyline and celebrex. What I didn't know was that the stimulator could break. I had a fall in December and have been in constant pain. Aside from the back pain and nerve pain from the failed surgery, I now have problems with the saphenous nerve, cervical issues and a torn rotator cff. Because of the stimulator I cannot have an MRI which is a problem. I most likely will have a new stimulator put in but am concerned about the scar tissue that has built up around the leads. Hope this information is helpful to you.
    Susan

Old 03-21-2003, 05:57 PM   #23
    grandma J

grandma J HB User
    Exclamation

Hi all! I am new to this site and so glad I found you. I was reading some info on spinal cord stimulators and they suggested obtaining a support group. I have constant right sciatica that 3 surgeries have not helped. I also have been advised by my ortho and pain mgmt md to have the spinal cord stimulator placed. I had a pre-existing L5-S1 protrusion that was made worse by a 300 + lb women fainting on me in an elevator at work. It has been 3 years now and the pain is just awful. It never goes away, although I have some good days. I have been on numerous medications (was taking over 18 pills just last year) but am with a new pain mgmt md who has me on Methadone 10 mg up to 6 per day. I take Elavil at night along with sleeping meds but sleep is never a full 8 hours. Sometimes 4, sometimes 6. I don't even know if Worker's Comp will authorize the SCS but I'm really not sure I want it implanted. WC is another matter - how I despise them! Shedevil, did you ever get the stimulator implanted? Hope everyone is as good as can be expected under the circumstances. I'd love to hear from anyone.

------------------
    L5-Si
    Diskectomy & Fusion with BAK Cage 2000
    Decompression with Fusion & Left Iliac crest autograft 2001
    Removal Pedicular Screws 2003
    Removal Pedicular Screws 2003

Old 03-21-2003, 06:16 PM   #24
    curvil

curvil HB User
    Talking

Hi grandma J
    No I dident get it yet. I had the phsyc. eval last week and I passed dont know if that is a good thing
    I am just waiting for the pain med Dr. to go over the report and then he will call me for an appt. I am doing alot of research on it, I want to make sure it is the best choice for me. I am coming up with some new info on the stimulator that is quite un-nerving, I found out just recently that there are new warnings for the stimulator, such as when approching a security system such as theft units in dept. stores you are to approach this thing slowley and if nothing happens like that system setting off your stimulator then continue to approach it and so on, and if you make it out the door without getting zapped from your stimulator your its a good thing
    then you can wipe out info on your bank card, credit cards, computors ect. some micro woaves (not neccesarily from a micro wave) can set your stimulator off and zap you with a severe jolting electrode feeling no matter if your unit is turned on or off just alot of crazy things that one should really inform yourself before jumping into this thing. I am not so sure it is for me. I have to way if the benifits outway the risks and so far in my book no--for me anyways. I have had enough pain and dont want to add to it, I too am on work comp, and they sure jumped at the thouoght of me having this done, sure they arent having it done, I know its expensive but so is my life. I am currently on the fentanol patch and so far has been controlling the pain more so that the pill form. If you go to the posting from blocdoc he gave me a web site that was very informative that is where I got the NEW warnings about the stimulator, when you get there, in the search bar type in NEUROSTIMULATOR blocdoc thread should be on thhis posting just scroll up and he has the website posted, let me know how youre ddoing and what you decide, take care [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    laminectomy 1999
    discectomy 2001
    spinal fusion L5S1 2002
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome
    partial hardware removal
    chronic back pain
    failed back syndrome

Old 03-22-2003, 12:13 PM   #25
    emc

emc HB User
    Hi Shedevil and grandma,

I posted above some of my experiences with my stimulator. I am the person looking for info about having it replaced. This is certainly a concern if you have one ~ they CAN break. I most likely am going to have it done though because I was having a 50% pain reduction and can't work now (K teacher) due to the use of opiates.

Shedevil

I did have one occasion when I was "jolted" going through security gates at a grocery store. Uncomfortable to say the least but not a horrible sensation. Was sudden and ended just as suddenly. I now shut if off at that store. Airline travel is a little more tricky especially in these times of hightened secuity. I do carry a card with an explanation and a number to call if there is a problem. For me, thay has not happened. I always tell the attendant that I have one and shut it off at take-off and landing. No problem with microwaves, credit cards etc. Hope this is of help ~ good luck with your decisions.

Old 05-10-2003, 03:03 PM   #26
    calbeth
    (female)

calbeth HB User
    Talking

[quote]Originally posted by BAXTER:
    [b]Hi She Devil,

I came very close to having the spinal cord stimulator implanted in me, but at the last minute, I decided against it, after learning that I would have to have yet further surgical procedures done to replace the batteries.

I was told the batteries would have to be replaced every year or two, depending on how much you use the stimulator for pain.
    I was totally turned off after hearing that

Even though I had never heard any success stories about it, I was still willing to give it a try, for hopes that it might work for me.

I spoke to a few of my doctors previous patients, and none of them thought much of it, and really had wished they had never got it implanted.

I hate to bring you bad news, I just want to share my experience on my research.

Please talk to some of your doctors patients, as they know best.

If you decide to try it, I will be praying that you are one of the kucky ones that can find pain relief.

Please keep us posted

Have a great weekend,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

[/b][/quote]

Hi Baxter - I've been urged to get a SCS by my pain mgmt. doctor because I have RSD which developed after a severe case of shingles on my leg and foot. I have constant foot pain, and I can't stand or walk for very long.

After researching the SCS here on the internet, I am very wary - as you are - about getting one. There is an excellent article about SCS at the following website: [url="http://www.arachnoiditistrust.org/Spinalcord.html"]http://www.arachnoiditistrust.org/Spinalcord.html[/url]
    The bottom line is, according to their research -- that 55% of patients report initial relief, after 6 mos. it drops to 33%, after 2 years 12%, after 10 years 5%. Read the whole study to get the total picture.

I am concerned about scar tissue and calcium forming around the device, and I am particularily worried about movement of the leads after they are placed in the body. It they shift out of position from bending, turning, etc., they have to be re-positioned. All in all, I am very concerned about this, and I suppose if I could use the device without it being implanted permanently, I would do it, but I don't want a permanent implant.

I hope I'm not being too discouraging for those who are ready to try it.

------------------
    Calif. Beth

Old 05-10-2003, 04:06 PM   #27
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Beth,

Welcome

Thank you for sharing this article, I will be reading it later.
    One of our members (WBaker) is going in on Wednesday for a trial implant, I hope it works for him, as he has run out of options.

Please keep us informed if you decide to have this done, and if so, I wish you well [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img]

Have a super evening

Be Well,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 05-12-2003, 07:44 AM   #28
    wbaker68
    Veteran

wbaker68 HB User
    Beth:

As Baxter indicated, I am scheduled for the trial on Wed. I too have read most of the negative reports with great concern and have found only a few success stories. I think just like back surgeries, stimulator success stories aren't heard as often on line as the people tend to go away and lead normal lives. At least that is what I hope.

I unfort. don't have any choice on getting the stimulator. Its my last resort right now for pain relief, bar going overseas for disc replacement, which may end up happening anyway.

I wish you luck and please update us should you decide to have the implant as we could compare results and pass along our experiences to the forum as there doesn't seem to be much on here as far as success or even failure.

------------------
    Auto Accident Aug 1988
    L3-4 disectomy 1989
    L3-4 now re-herniated
    L4-5 DDD
    L5-S1 herniated
    5/14--scheduled for trial stimulator implant
    Hopefully to hold on for Prodisc for all 3 discs
    L4-5 DDD
    L5-S1 herniated
    5/14--trial stimulator implant(went well enough for full implant)
    6/11/03--full implant(medtronic)
    Hopefully to hold on for ADR

Old 05-12-2003, 08:38 AM   #29
    emc

emc HB User
    Wbaker,

I answered one of your early posts about having a SPS (mine is broken and waiting to get a new one). I agree with your theory that sometimes we only hear of people with problems. Like I said before, I had at least a 50% pain reduction with mine. I want to wish you good luck on Wednesday...I hope all goes well. Let us know how you make out.

Susan

Old 05-12-2003, 08:43 AM   #30
    wbaker68
    Veteran

wbaker68 HB User
    Thank you Susan, 50% reduction would be great. Its funny they say you need at least that in order to warrant the transplant but I would be happy with 25% at this rate. 50% would be a godsend.

Thanks again and I will surely be posting alot, hopefully some good news!!!

------------------
    Auto Accident Aug 1988
    L3-4 disectomy 1989
    L3-4 now re-herniated
    L4-5 DDD
    L5-S1 herniated
    5/14--scheduled for trial stimulator implant
    Hopefully to hold on for Prodisc for all 3 discs
    L4-5 DDD
    L5-S1 herniated
    5/14--trial stimulator implant(went well enough for full implant)
    6/11/03--full implant(medtronic)
    Hopefully to hold on for ADR

Closed Thread