It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Does inversion therapy work?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-04-2003, 06:03 PM   #1
    Javeman

Javeman HB User
    Question Does inversion therapy work?

I'm only 18 years old but I already have a curved back and continous back pains from sitting by the computer too much. I'm considering purchasing an inversion table but I can't find any information on if they actually help. You can see my back is physically curved if you look at it and I'm wondering if an inversion table can help straighten it back out again.
    I have pain in my upper back and shoulders and also in my lower back sometimes. Will an inversion table help relieve this pain or is there something else I should do? I realize I should probably do something about it now or I will have a lot of problems when I'm older.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2003, 08:56 PM   #2
    Telzey
    Senior Veteran

Telzey HB User
    Hi Javeman and welcome
    It is good that you're looking into solving your back problems now, before they have a chance to get worse. I think an inversion table would probably help you, but a course of exercises like yoga or physical therapy would probably be even better. I found inversion helped my low back pains all my life, even before I developed disk problems. Especially inversion under traction

You also need to make sure your computer workstation is set up ergonomically. That is very important. If you are hunching over to type you could end up with a permanent disability as some others on this board have.

Also, take breaks from typing every few minutes, even if only for 30 seconds. Every hour stand up and stretch and walk around for 5 minutes.

Good luck!
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Telzey

------------------
    4 years of back pain
    Annular tear L5-S1 diagnosed 3/02 via MRI
    IDET 12/2/02
    Still worse pain than pre-op, am told to wait 3-6 months for improvement
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!

Old 02-04-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
    Javeman

Javeman HB User
    Thanks for your reply.
    I guess what I really want to know if it only helps temporarily or if it can make a permanent change. Such as getting rid of that curve on my back. I was searching around trying to find some more info and I found this: [url="http://wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2001/wlAskExperts0901.html"]http://wellnessletter.com/html/wl/2001/wlAskExperts0901.html[/url] (scroll down a bit)
    Even though that's from 2001 it doesen't sound very encouraging...
    Does anyone else have some experience with inversion therapy?

Old 05-16-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
    guyver101

guyver101 HB User
    I've got a table and I find it helps to relieve back pain and straighten me out.

Here's another trick you can try; put two tennis balls in a sock and tie the end in a knot. They can be right next to each other, or a couple inches apart. Lay face-up on the balls, starting with them under your traps. Starting with your legs bent, feet planted, push your way over the balls while flexing your stomach to round your back. When your done you'll end up with the balls under your lower back. This has been a real life-saver for me.

Another thing to think of is rolfing. Rolfing works very well at taking excessive curving out of the back, but can be a bit expensive. Hope that helps

Closed Thread