It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Can we have 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-20-2004, 09:10 PM   #1
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User
    Can we have 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc?

Hi,
    Has someone in this forum done 2 [i]discectomy laminectomy[/i] in the same disc? meaning the first surgery didn't do good and the NS decided to do another one in the same place cuz there was still left herniation?

Ok, my NS said if there was to be done a second surgery in my same bad disc, he would have to do a fusion. He could not do a same type of surgery if the first one failed. My NS in Panama did and MRI and said that there was still left herniation on my R side (this was back in Dec). He suggested to do another Discec Lami. I told him that my American NS said that I would have to do a fusion, he said that not necessarily. I went to Stanford Hospital and they say the same, a fusion would be the choice. These Stanford doctors also said that when a discectomy laminectomy failed in the same disc a fusion was the way to go.

Has someone had the same experience? Perhaps had done 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc and the second one worked better?

-R

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2004, 11:36 PM   #2
    TAZMZN

TAZMZN HB User
    Re: Can we have 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc?

Hey Racharina,

I have had 2 Discectomys!!! One in 2001 and one last Feb (2004). However, two week later I was in pain and they did another MRI. It showed that the disk reherneated. The Doc said the limit is 2 disectomies and then they recommend a fusion. My level was at L5-S1. I will have the FUSION surgery Monday morning.

Take Care,

TAZ

Last edited by TAZMZN; 06-20-2004 at 11:37 PM.

Old 06-21-2004, 07:32 AM   #3
    einie131

einie131 HB User
    Wink Re: Can we have 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc?

I am going in on July 1. You are in surgery today. My doctor believes that it is possible to try a second laminectomy. Sometimes they work, and in Taz's case sometimes they do not.

I hope yours does. A fusion is a last ditch resort. Once you have one of those, I hear that the one above it gets weak and then eventually you need another fusion, then another.

It is a scary process. Fusions seem to work better when they are higher up in the spine. When they are done on weight bearing joints, they wear out.

I wish you the best. Write to me and let me know how it goes.

Einie131

Old 06-21-2004, 10:34 AM   #4
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User
    Re: Can we have 2 discectomy laminectomy in the same disc?

Hi TAZ, you are in surgery today. Hope this one really helps. My prayers out to you.

Einie, thanks. Hope yours works too on July.

Yes, I will keep posting to say how am doing. I will try to make an appoitment with doc. This morning I woke up with no pain, after an hour of walking and sitting, pain is back. Just took a VIOXX. Can't stand this.

-R

Closed Thread