It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Now my Mid Back is Tender??? What's That?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2003, 06:22 AM   #1
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Unhappy Now my Mid Back is Tender??? What's That?

Hi All.

As my sig explains, I'm a low back problem girl.... but, every once in awhile, my mid/upper back hurts. But, the last couple of days.. owie!!! It really hurts bad!

At my bra-line (sorry guys :roll: how Do guys explain this area?? )the spine is very, very tender on about 3 or 4 discs. One is as tender as my hip/tailbone/lumbar area...in other words...Do Not Touch! -- and when I woke up this morning, there was a Big CRACKING noise like I was @ Chiro.

Help.... is this something bad? Any thoughts w/b appreciated!!

TIA

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI - PCP said nothing amiss - but, had to begin taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born after long, painful pregnance as weight gain
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - shows slight bulge L3-L4,slight DDD Neuro Refers to PM for ESI
    3/03 PM Doc orders ESI
    3/21,4/1,4/8 - ESI's no help
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Doc sched NEW discogram 'cuz performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    New Consult w/ Dept Head Cleveland Clinic 7/8

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2003, 07:46 AM   #2
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Karen,I don't have the answer for sure all I know is that is what happened to me about 3wks ago and I haven't been the same since,my back pain has all been low and woke up one day went to work and it just took the breath out of me,came home haven't been able to go to work ,clean house nothing since and pain meds aren't helping it's like you at the bra line feels like a hard knot on the left side of my spine,sometimes a deep breath causes sharp pain at lower rib cage.That among other things is what led me to ER last week-end I didn't get any answers so if you should get some I'll be listening!!I wish great luck and hope ypur pain gets better I know how scary it is when something new like that hits when you think the cup is already full!!Will be thinking of you!!!
    Linda

Old 06-27-2003, 08:48 AM   #3
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi Linda.

Hope this goes away, too. I have had this on and off, but it was so bad this morning. I took my girls to the outdoor Y on Wed.. long walk in and back to car, always have to carry one or the other. Then, in the pool, I was bent over alot playing with them. Yesterday, I worked w/ my Mom (she wallpapers) and I haven't done that since Abbie (my oldest) was born. I'm hoping I just overdid it.... the only thing that really worries me is that the feeling has been there for awhile.... just worsened in last couple of days. I'm hoping there's no degeneration of those discs or bulges. My MRI was only for low back/hip. So.... guess I'll just take it easy... and hope it calms back down. Would hate to end up in ER like you did

I guess I'll write this down w/ all my other stuff to tell doc 7/8.

Thnx for replying! Will let you know if I learn anything new @ Cleveland Clinic. Hey, who did you end up seeing when you went recently? Anybody in particular or just ER doc?

Karen

------------------
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 PM Doc orders ESI

Old 06-28-2003, 04:54 AM   #4
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Karen,Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday,it was a bad day.I have thoght some since this posting and after reading yours and I was much more active the 2 days following up to the new outburst of pain,though I am also led to believe that it had been going on for some time and the pain was beign covered up by all the pain meds,you know what I mean.I have to tell you I so admire you with having such small children,I know beign a Mother we tend to to whatever we have to ,I'm just not sure I could have handeled it if my children were small like yours!!!GREAT JOB!!I pray you get some answers I know you are so counting on your visit to Cl.Cl. and I will so keep you in my thoughts not to discourage but I am so ticked off w/them right now I could scream,my treatment in the ER and then beign sent home w/a script they knew I was allergic to and could kill me of course I trusted and didn't find all this out til I threw more good money for bad!!Then the incident about losing my calim over beign lied to about the letter(cost $250.)that was always on the way and took 14 months to get here.I can tell you I will have my list when I go also I plan to be very nice about but I want some answers I don't deserve that kind of treatment and as to the Dr. I saw in ER I saw 2 one I can't remember his name he was from PM I don't see him or the other on thier web site she was Engineer Rakesh first last name I don't know I do know I had a red band on w/my allergies and even told her again and she assured me that bextra was ok for me to take!!I don't know how it works if they are interns or what but they obviously have enough power to kill some one all though both told me they couldn't admit me w/out approval of another and I would have to stay in observation until Mon. some time for that NO THANK YOU!!
    Karen I so hope that things are better for you as I know your app.is w/head of dept. and I am getting very leary as I hve been checking the Dr. I have an app.w/says he is a clinical ***. and that means what?? I hope you are feeling better today as your app.is comming up soon,again I have to admire all of you w/young children w/this pain I have my 10 yr old grandson w/me and I am sick of saying honey grandma's back hurts to bad and he loves me so much I'm afraid his summer vacation is going to pass w/little fun although pop-pop takes him in the semi when ever he can I would just love to give him more.Karen the best of luck to you and I am looking forward to hearing how your app. goes.
    Linda

P.S.I was also prescribed a new MRI and I don't want to have it done around here as the quality is not good I haven't had one in yrs so I will probaly go up soon for that.

Old 06-28-2003, 10:52 PM   #5
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Karen,

I'm so sorry to hear of the extra added pain

I don't have any answers for you, but I'll be praying hard that you can find some relief soon, and that your upcoming appointment goes very well for you

Have a super weekend [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Be Well,
    Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    I regret the day that I agreed to have this surgery.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 06-29-2003, 07:55 AM   #6
    Patmg
    Inactive

Patmg HB User
    Hi Mokita: I hope you saw my post to you regarding the Gulf War Syndrome and the goverment finding out these men had been exposed to saran gas. This previous post to you personally is a month old, when I first returned to these boards.

Regarding your mid-back, I have EXACTLY the same thing at the bra line. In my x-rays, in that area, my disks in 3 vertebre are extremely "close together and lipped" with arthritis. Aggressive degenerative disk disease (not just the type that comes with old age) is an inherited condition. This could mean that when our neck or low back disks begin to degenerate (lumbar is often the first to start with degeneration, then neck, then thoracic; thoracic is rare due to non movement of this spinal portion) more than other peoples disks who do not have the inherited tendency of disk degeneration, many places in the spine could possibly begin to degenerate. My x-ray reports show kyphosis, which basically means hump backed, so I do have some posture concerns as well. If you get a regular "bone xray" of your thoracic spine, it is readily apparent that the vertebre are closer together (which is a sign of disk degeneration) than they should be. You should then have the answer why you have pain at the bra line.

Right now, my low back is giving me massive problems whereby I feel like I have to "move my bowels" a lot. Does anybody else get this? Do you, Mokita? Plus, instead of the sensation of having to pee, like normal, I tend to get pain. They've done an MRI and say no nerves are being impinged in the lumbar spine. However, because when I sit or am upright, my spine is crushing downward and then I have nerve impingement. MRI's are done lying down. No doctor has said this, but my doctor does acknowledge this is most likely true. I have 15 painful disks in my spine and I know that pain and this suffering all too well. My best of luck to you in finding out through your doctor what you have going on inside. Take care and wish I could be here more, but spine just does not permit too much computer sitting. Patmg

Old 06-29-2003, 09:25 AM   #7
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Patmg: concerning your previous post:

[quote]Originally posted by Patmg:
    [b]Hi Mokita: degeneration)

Right now, my low back is giving me massive problems whereby I feel like I have to "move my bowels" a lot. Does anybody else get this? Do you, Mokita? Plus, instead of the sensation of having to pee, like normal, I tend to get pain. They've done an MRI and say no nerves are being impinged in the lumbar spine. However, because when I sit or am upright, my spine is crushing downward and then I have nerve impingement. MRI's are done lying down. No doctor has said this, but my doctor does acknowledge this is most likely true. I have 15 painful disks in my spine and I know that pain and this suffering all too well. My best of luck to you in finding out through your doctor what you have going on inside. Take care and wish I could be here more, but spine just does not permit too much computer sitting. Patmg [/b][/quote]

Hi Pat:
    Not sure if this will be any help- but a Dallas Urologist pioneered a way to do imaging a few yrs ago while standing up - this was designed by him for urological problems (of men evidentally since it's for standing!) - but POSSIBLY there's now ALSO a technique for imaging back problems while sitting or at least standing(??) Maybe do a search on the web to find a Doc or clinic who does this? IF NOT - someone needs to take the initiative & make their fame & fortune & design one for situations like yours- where the discs crunch together while standing/sitting. It wld seem to me this is common in back problems & should be addressed in imaging techniques.

Lots of luck & hope you're feeling somewhat better ea day!
    Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 07-01-2003, 05:49 AM   #8
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Thank you Linda, Baxter & Patmg for replying. Seems The last few days, I'm lucky to be able to read posts and post myself maybe 1!

Linda thank you as always for your support. I think sometimes my babies keep me smiling even though it's hard to physically be mommy. They're so dang cute! I am so looking forward to my doc appt in a week. Started keeping Pain Diary on Sunday. Bad thing about that is ' where I normally feel a stab and just as quickly ignore it... all my focus is on the pain so I can accurately describe it....it makes me hurt more. Does that make sense?

Yesterday, I felt like there was a fuzzy in between my Left toes (my pain is primarily right sided lumbar)- reached down.... nothing there. It's still like that. Started crying when tingling went up my left shin. This nerve involement has me more freaked out than the pain!

When I laid down for the past two nights, it takes me over an hour for all the tingling to stop enough for me to be able to fall asleep. Bottom of right foot - instep tingling.. .big toe on right - a stabbing tingling. What am I going to do if I HAVE to have some kind of surgery? I guess I'll find out if/when the time comes. Just depressing.

Pat - I will ask doc about mid back next Tuesday. It actually has settled down a little. I think it was the overdoing - working w/ mom, going to pool w/ kids and bending over for a couple hours! Also - yes, I did get your post on Gulf-War Syndrome. My hubby is back on Prozac which seems to help w/ his nerves, which in turn helps the headaches! He's coming up on 2 weeks taking it, so - he should really notice a dif now.

Baxter, thank you for your prayers. Your support is always there and I want you to know I appreciate it. Hope all the calls yesterday that you mentioned in another post got you somewhere good. Look forward to hearing your update today!

Karen

------------------
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 PM Doc orders ESI

Old 07-01-2003, 06:36 AM   #9
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Karen, Glad to hear things are setteling down for you with the mid-back ,I haven't gone in to work for several weeks now and have finally got my pain under control some what I'm better if I do absolutly nothing, what a crock I can't live that way I all ready feel pretty useless and that doesn't help but when I do manage to do things the pain sky-rockets!!By staying off my feet and not lifting heavy trays and stuff at work my lower back and leg pain has been much better, I can't get rid of that knot that is mid back and left of my spine it makes any movement miserable.I tell you it is unreal all the pain and different experiences a back injury can cause I have never had so many types of pain in so many different parts of my body.Agin I am looking almost as foward to you app. as you are, Im really loking foward to what you find out and praying you get some good results, I know it's hard sitting on the side lines and watching your children grow-up, I really believe you will find relief soon and be able to be the active Mother that your heart is longing to be!!!Keep us posted!!
    Linda

Old 07-05-2003, 03:58 PM   #10
    chemong932

chemong932 HB User
    Patmg regarding your post:
    I had compressed nerves show on a myelogram, while upright on the tilt table. They didn't show on the ct following the myelogram, I assume it is a positional problem.
    There is a stand-up mri available in the U.S., there are a number of locations in N.Y.state. I had the info on them at one time. Do price around if you intend to go this route, because one gave me a price of about $2300.00 and when I called the rest they all came in at about $600. I searched for them under heading of stand-up mri.
    melanie

Closed Thread