It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Thank You For All Of Your Support & Advice!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-07-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Talking Thank You For All Of Your Support & Advice!

Hi Everyone

I am sorry I haven't posted here in awhile, but I have been feeling pretty good lately and am back to enjoying life again. I finally have some control over the pain that use to rule my life every second and minute of the day.

I finally stopped taking the Ambien on a daily basis, and now I am able to sleep without it. I had some sleepless nights in the beginning, but now I am finally back on my regular schedule.

As far as my depression, I am now taking Celexa. I can't believe what a difference it has made in my life. It has helped with my anger, patience and my anxiety. I almost feel like a new person
    I didn't have any side effects like I did when I tried the Paxil CR. This medication has totally changed my outlook on life.

I have also cut back on my pain medication, which has been really hard to do. The withdraw symptoms are just horriable! I can't beleive that a pill can have that much control over me, but it does. I would like to have said, that I am completley off of all my pain medication, but I can't.....not yet!

I am a little concerned about something that has been bothering me. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. I have been getting pain under both my ribs for about two weeks now, do I need to be concerned about this? When I lay down on my back and lift my shirt up, my left rib looks swollen or bigger then the other side. Has this ever happened to anyone? Has anyone ever heard of this? I would appreciate any advice on this.

I would also like to thank each and everyone of you for helping me get through one of the toughest times in my life. This board helped me to reconize that I was depressed and that I should seek help. This was one of the hardest, but best things that I could have done for myself. I was very embarressed about being depressed, but I knew something was going on with me emotionally, and I needed to get help for it, and now I am feeling so much better......THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

You guys are my . I will never forget all the wonderful support that I was given by a great group of caring people. I pray that each and everyone one of you will be pain free someday soon.

((((((HUGS TO YOU ALL))))))))))))))

God Bless,
    ~Brenda [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
    July 2002: EMG
    Feb 2003: Prolotherapy
    March 2003: Discogram, Showed left posterolateral radial tear @ L4-L5 and more diffuse annular tear @ L5-S1.
    April 2003: Transforamital Injection
    May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection, Finally got some relief from the hip, groin, butt and leg pain. This injection worked the best!
    May 2003: Second Opinion, Doctor Suggested Disc Replacement as my only option.
    May 2003: Postponed Nucleoplasty
    June 2003: Went to Psychiatrist for depression.
    July 2003 - Present: Trying to take one day at a time, and learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2003, 04:26 AM   #2
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
    Brenda,So happy to hear that things are better for you and I hope you continue to just keep getting better every day!!!I don't have any answers about the thing going on with the ribs and hope some one comes along to give you answers soon.I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am the anti-deppressant is working for you I am now back on wellbutrin I'm not sure this is the right one for me I have taken it before I'll wait it out a while longer before thinking of changing again.
    I have said many time there is NO shame in getting help when you need you seeked help for your back when you needed it and if you were a diabetic or had cancer you would seek help for that so deppression is NO different it is a medical condition and the only shame would be in not seeking help for it when it is treatable and curable!!!
    There is enough pain and suffering and we all need to take what we can and when we can to make life easier,when I first really started dealing with my deppression I had aches and pains that couldn't be explained and the Dr. told me that was the minds way of seeking out the help I needed as we don't seem to understand ourself when our mind tells us that we are deppressed if it isn't something you have dealt with before how can you understand it!!
    So sorry for the soap box I am just so happy it is working for you and hope you continue to keep feeling better.
    Linda

Old 07-08-2003, 05:23 AM   #3
    Telzey
    Senior Veteran

Telzey HB User
    Talking

Brenda,
    Good to hear from you again, and GREAT to hear how well you're doing! Congratulations on taking the right actions to help yourself. I'm so glad to hear things are working for you.

As to the ribs: I don't know about the pain, but since I started having back pain, I have noticed that my left ribs have become more prominent than the right. I have also developed scoliosis which is visible in the MRI (never had it before). The doctor says that the body tries to compensate for the pain by moving away from it, so because I have pain on the left side of my low back, my muscles have twisted in order to lift my left side up and away from the pain, if that makes sense!

If you're actually noticing swelling around the rib, that sounds kind of strange to me. Maybe you should check with your GP.

Good luck and I hope you continue to do well! Please keep us posted every now and then; we love to hear success stories!
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Telzey

------------------
    4 years of back pain, but was still able to work and maintain moderate activity (hiking, low-impact aerobic exercise)
    Annular tear L5-S1 diagnosed 5/02 via MRI
    IDET 12/2/02
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!
    1/26/03 Posterior disc prolapse occurs after sitting too long after walking. Causes new pain down left leg.
    3/1/03 Leg pain reduced with exercises from the book "Treat Your Own Back" by Robin McKenzie.
    3/9/03 Severe, new buttock and thigh pain and numbness starts.
    3/25/03 Used McKenzie techniques to treat buttock and thigh pain -- pain reduced
    4/4/03 Started physical therapy
    5/8/03 Still worse than pre-IDET, but showing slow improvement with PT, McKenzie exercises, yoga, and Hanna Somatics exercises
    5/30/03 PT suggests buttock and thigh pain may be from facet joint
    7/6/03 Still worse than pre-IDET due to leg and thigh pain and numbness, and have become so inactive I can't tell whether back pain is better. Can't stand for any length of time, can't walk long, run at all, or do any aerobic activity. I regret agreeing to the IDET and wish I had had more patience with the natural healing process of my disc!

Old 07-08-2003, 07:21 AM   #4
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Hi Linda

I have been catching up on all the posts that I have missed over the last month, and I have been reading what you have been going through. I am so sorry about all the bullsh** that is happening to you, and it just isn't fair. Please try to keep your chin up! Good things will come your way eventually, just don't give up!

As far as my depression, I am so glad that I got help for it. I was always trying to hide my feelings from my husband and children, but they knew something was wrong with me. I didn't want to burden them with this along with all the pain I was having. For almost a year, I secluded myself from everyone and spent most of my days on the computer. I was staying in my house for weeks at a time. I couldn't sleep, and I had no motivation at all. I knew I had to do something to get out of the visious cycle that I found myself in.

I will admit that this accident has truley changed my life forever. I am trying to learn to adapt to my new life and all my new limitations. I still have back pain, but the hip, groin and leg pain are almost gone. I am not sure how long the Intra-Discal Injection is going to work, so I am going to enjoy this time that I have at this moment. If and when the pain returns, atleast I will be able to handle it emotionally.

This board and all the great people here, is what helped me get through my hardest times. This board is truley a blessing. I have often wondered in the world we live in today, how strangers could bring so much comfort and support to a person they have never met.

Please keep me/us posted on what happens with w/c. I wish you the best of luck in everything you do.

Take Care,
    ~Brenda
    March 2003: Discogram, Showed left posterolateral radial tear @ L4-L5 and more diffuse annular tear @ L5-S1.
    May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection, Finally got some relief from the hip, groin, butt and leg pain. This injection worked the best!
    July 2003 - Present: Trying to take one day at a time, and learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Old 07-08-2003, 08:16 AM   #5
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Hi Telzey

How are you doing? I have noticed that you are posting more often, is everything alright? Are you still working? I am so glad that I made the decision to get help for the depression. It was taking everything out of me, including all of my energy. I never knew it could do this much damage to a person. It just totally wiped me out everyday, and crying became a part of my daily routine. Hopefully I cried enough to last me a life time. The medication has stopped all the negative feelings, and now I can focus on getting myself better...physically. I NEVER want to feel like that again!

As far as the ribs, you described it better then I did. My left rib is more prominent then the right one. I used a bad choice of words when I had said swollen. What did you do about it? Is this something I should be concerned about? Is there anything the doctor can do about it? Do you take medication for it? It is very painful but not as bad as what I just went through with my back. I am not even sure what is under your ribs besides the spleen, but I am not even sure about that. Any information that you could provide on this subject, would be appreciated.

Telzey, you are a amazing person! I can't beleive how much you have been through this past year, but you being the strong person that you are, you keep bouncing back! I am sorry to hear that you now have scoliosis, but I guess this is just another thing to add to your list. I am sure that you and most of us with back pain have finally learned the true meaning of the saying "When it rains, it pours". Life just isn't fair sometimes.

I will pray that you will get through this, and all of your pain will go away. I am sorry that things didn't turn out the way that you had hoped for, and I want to let you know that I wish you only the best.

I will keep you and everyone posted on my continued success. Thanks again for all the great support and advice.

Take Care,
    ~Brenda

Old 07-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
    BackWoes Lisa

BackWoes Lisa HB User
    Hi Brenda

It is so good to see your posting and feel the strength in your words. I am truly glad we have "met" and I am sure thru time I will turn to you often to pull me up too !!!!

Depression is so disabling. We don't realize that the colors in the world are bright and vibrant. When we are depressed its all a solemn shade of grey.

I haven't been around here as much either, I have been trying to get stuff done around the house.... duh a womans work is never done !! And then I get pain. Boy doesn't this all sound familiar?

I need somehelp from people with practical ways to do some household tasks...... I manage the dishwasher and stuff, but I found something seems to be lacking in my ability to get stuff done. Any ideas anyone???

Also here is a a good one My dr's associate seems to like pain patches instead of pill form?? Should there be a time when these are used? some times I only take 1 or 2 pills a day some days are 4 never more than 4 I am using vicodin 7.5's at the present time...

anyhow thanks everyone

And Brenda its good to read good news

L

Old 07-09-2003, 02:07 PM   #7
    BAXTER
    Inactive

BAXTER HB User
    Hi Brenda,

I'm so glad that you are feeling better these days
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Baxter [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif[/img]

------------------
    Two level laminectomy fusion L5-S1 & L2-3 done on 12/6/02.
    I regret the day that I agreed to have this surgery.
    Fifteen inch scar from the very top of butt crack (sorry), to the bra line.
    BAK cages, rods & screws.(Titanium)
    My pelvic bone was used for grafting.
    Praying that the other two discs in between, won't have to be fused later, as I was told it was a possibility, due to the other two discs in between, not being in that great of shape.
    Doc didn't want to fuse four levels, unless it is really necessary.
    I would hate to repeat the surgery, as the recovery period, is so very painful.
    I also have a free fragment in my T11-12 area, that I'm still refusing surgery for, at this point in time.
    That surgery is way too dangerous for me to consider, until if affects my being able to walk.

Old 07-10-2003, 11:07 AM   #8
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Hi Backwoes

How are you hun?? I haven't spoke to you in awhile. I am so glad that we have "met" too!

Lisa, I want you to know that when you do turn to me, I will be there to pull you up with every bit of strength that I have, you can count on that! You have been there for me on so many occasions, that I will never be able to repay you back for that. You have been so supportive of me, and I will NEVER forget that. You are AMAZING and don't you ever forget that girl!

I have learned first hand that depression is disabling. And you are so right about everything being grey. I haven't seen vibrant colors in a long time, up until now....its amazing how when you are depressed, everything around you is ugly and unpleasant.

Lisa, as far as the patches, they worked great for me. I was on a patch called Fentanyl. This patch was put on my arm for 3 days at a time. Every three days, I would change it. I think it is better then any pill that I have taking as far as getting rid of the pain. The reason why I stopped the patch and went to the percocets was because I got scared one night. One night I woke up, and I couldn't catch my breath! It scared the sh** out of me. I felt like I was having a heart attack. I jumped up out of bed gasping for air, as my husband was asking me what was wrong. I couldn't answer him for a few minutes, until my airway opened up. This woke me up out of a dead sleep. It was like 4:30 in the morning. I quickly pulled the patch off, and haven't wore it since. I told my doctor about it the next day, and he said that the problem I had wasn't from the patch. What happened was, I had been sick and had a very nasty head and chest cold, but I somehow had already convinced myself that it was from the patch. I beleive later that week, I heard something on the news about Fentynal killing people over in Russia. Anyway, this was the only thing that had totally took ALL of my pain away.

I don't think it matters how many pills you take a day. This is how it was explained to me. When you take pain pills, it takes a little while to enter your blood stream, and when it does, that is when the pill starts kicking in for the pain and/or giving you that euphoria/high feeling. After a few hours, it leaves your blood and the pain comes back. Your blood pressure is effected by all of this. With the patch, it keeps the same amount of medicine in your system at all times. Because the medicine stays at the same level all the time, you really don't have to worry about it running out and having the pain return. Your blood pressure stays the same and it doesn't allow the feeling of euphoria/high because the patch keeps you level. I hope I explained this in a way that understandable. Geez, I have a hard time explaining things, I hate that! I have so much on my mind, but can't type fast enough to explain things.

Anyway, did your doctor suggest this to you? I am thinking about going back on it. Another benefit of the patch is, it doesn't hurt your liver! What is going on with you as far as your back?

As far as household chores, girl, I wish I could help you in that area but I am facing the same dilema. Hopefully if you get your pain under control, maybe it will help you to do more things. I would look into the patch.

Oh by the way, there is a guy on here, I forget his screen name but he started a thread on Nucleoplasty and IDET, and he is seeing the same doctor that I referred you to awhile back, Dr. Wolff. He is lives in Arizona too. I think his screen name is gharari...or something like that.

Ok, one more thing Lisa. I want you to know that I am here for you no matter what! You have always been there for me, even at my lowest point which I had almost giving up hope. You are my guardian and have always been. If it weren't for you, I would not have known that I was depressed and would have never seeked help for it. You are the biggest part of my success, and you probably aren't even aware of it. If I can do anything to help you in anyway, please let me know.

I want to let you know, that if you fall, I will be there to catch you, even with a bad back!

Take Care,

Old 07-10-2003, 11:30 AM   #9
    Bcorica

Bcorica HB User
    Hi Baxter

Thank you for the post. I am having better days finally. It is so nice to go out and somewhat enjoy life again. I was so wrapped up into all this pain and depression, that I forgot what it was like to live. I am not able to do the things I use to, but I am enjoying what I can do. I have realized that it is so easy to focus on all the negative things, but I am trying not to do that anymore. I am now focused on all the good things that I have in my life, and I think that this has helped me in many ways.

I am sorry for all the stuff that has been happening to you lately, but you are a strong person and will get through this. I beleive that bad things happen to good people, and I also beleive in karma. Those that are giving you a hard time, will get it back in return.

Keep your chin up, and stay strong!

Take Care,

Old 07-10-2003, 12:26 PM   #10
    go*big*red
    (female)

go*big*red HB User
    Hi, Brenda

I, like many others here, are very glad you're doing so much better, mentally, emotionally and physically. Makes all the difference in the world, huh?

About your rib pain - I wonder if it couldn't be something as simple as your QL's. The QL (standing for something like quadrus lu**** something or other ) is a big muscle that attaches itself in 3 places - at each bottom rib, somewhere at your lumbar spine and at the top of the back of your hips/pelvis area.

I know my QL's are constantly tight and overtaxed trying to guard and protect my back and all three of those spots are horribly tender and at times swollen.

Just an idea - what do you think?

BTW - Hi, Telz & Baxter

------------------
    gbr

JDD
    2 Discograms
    4 Level failed IDET
    4 Confirmed torn lumbar discs, 2 full thickness
    Issues now with c-spine & thoracic
    Fusion of L5/S1 scheduled 3/5/03
    Fusion successful - feeling better all the time
    Major pain on L side of neck to shoulder - MRI revealed 2 shot discs (C5/6 & 6/7)
    3 upper thoracic discs bulging as well
    10/10/06 PLIF L4/5, Dynesys L3/4

Closed Thread