It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• No nore PAIN MEDS! Question ???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2004, 07:53 PM   #1
    TAZMZN

TAZMZN HB User
    No nore PAIN MEDS! Question ???

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I had to stop taking my Percocet pain meds after only 6 days post-opp. Sounds crazy, trust me I am in a lot of pain! I had to stop because the meds made me very constipated and stopping the meds was the only thing to help me.

I would like to know what others do to prevent constipation while taking their pain meds?

Please help!

Thanks!

Take Care,

Taz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
    Fiona_Jo
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User
    Wink Re: No nore PAIN MEDS! Question ???

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Taz:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]My Doctor had me start taking a stool softener in the hospital and also has me taking them at home as well. The good thing about stool softeners is they are not as harsh as laxitives tend to be. I tend to be constipated anyway, so even though I'm not taking my pain meds everyday anymore; I 'm still taking the stool softeners. My Doctor recommended I take two a day. The other thing you can try is fiber pills -- again they can be taken for a longer period than laxitives because they are not harsh not like laxitives. My major concern is getting constipated while I'm still healing so I've also been eating bran flakes every morning! Weird I know! Anyway, I hope this helps!

Jo [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Last edited by Fiona_Jo; 06-27-2004 at 08:14 PM.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:13 PM   #3
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: No nore PAIN MEDS! Question ???

Taz, I am sorry I don't have an answer for your question, but I just wanted to say welcome home. I have been praying for you since Monday. I look forward to hearing your post- op story, when you can sit a little longer and feel stronger. God bless you,

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by lfoster21; 06-27-2004 at 08:15 PM.

Old 06-27-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User
    Re: No nore PAIN MEDS! Question ???

Hello [b]TAZMZN[/b],
    Sorry to hear you are in pain. After my surgery I was so constipated that it wasn't even funny. For the love of God, do not take laxatives . [b]Fiona[/b] is right, take stool softener. I took something called [i]"Colace"[/i] one softgel 3 times a day, or you can do 2. Also there is a supplement that is called: [i]"CITRUCEL"[/i], It has a great taste of orange. This is a powder that you dilute it in a glass of water. Drink one glass everyday, it will help. Even tho the [i]"CITRUCEL"[/i] package says Laxative some where, it really is not. This is just a fiber supplement.

Hope it gets better. Mine got better after about 3 months. I stopped taking the stools, but I still take the fiber supplement.

Good luck,
    -Raiza

Last edited by Racharina; 06-27-2004 at 11:18 PM.

Old 06-28-2004, 12:13 AM   #5
    Haw'nCarl
    Veteran
    (male)

Haw'nCarl HB User

[COLOR=Purple][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Aloha TAZMZN,

I’m sorry, I can't stand it!!! I just can’t sit by in the shadows with out responding anymore, I’M BACK!

I am very happy to hear that you made it through your surgery ok. I am just going to respond with personal experience (I have kept a diary of meds, BM's and any other significant event from the first day I came home in February 04, I know, pretty anal...oops, a little play on words, sorry ). Every body and I mean BODY not body if you know what I mean….is different, so bear this in mind, this is what worked for me.

I stopped taking my Percocet at day 9 post op. I was also taking Oxycontin, Neurontin, and Klonopin at the time, so, in short, I know constipation. I was also given Colace (stool softener) in the hospital, and continued to take that for a while when I got home. The stool softener by itself will not help your bowels function, I tried Senexon (laxative tablets), and a generic Citrucel orange flavor nasty no matter how much you stir it it won’t dissolve gulp it before you know what it is fiber therapy powder stuff (I would recommend the tablets if ya want to try it), along with some Senekot suppositories (bombs ) that they gave me at the hospital when I left. The suppositories actually worked well, as did the Senexon, I hated the fiber therapy powder, it made me sick to my stomach.

I was very afraid of becoming dependant on laxatives, so I rarely took any after the first two weeks of coming home. I can relate though, that feeling, ohhhh, I wouldn’t wish that on any…well maybe I…. oh never mind, anyway it was terrible. But again with the dependency thing going on, I tried a natural approach which actually started working pretty good and did get me out of the woods, so to speak, which was 1 good size papaya and two apples a day and as Fiona_Jo has found, bran flakes every morning. Hint: stay away from bananas and orange juice , I found out that this sometimes adds to the problem.

But, if worse comes to worse, what really helped me out of a jam, and believe you me…I was jammed, was a bottle of magnesium citrate. It is a strong laxative and should be used sparingly but it really helped me, I think the deal was to drink half a bottle and then the other half in another couple of hours, then success, every time , this was what worked the best for me. It can be found at your local pharmacy. It kind of tastes like alka seltzer with a shot of 7-up, not bad, and it did work, and oh, by the way, you won’t need a stool softener either, if you know what I mean.

Good Luck TAZMZN, it will pass….oh, that didn’t sound right, what I meant was the constipation will pass.

Carl[/FONT][/COLOR]

Last edited by Haw'nCarl; 06-28-2004 at 12:31 AM.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User

Colace, 2 daily and raisin Bran cereal with extra raisins every morning for breakfast. Did the trick.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:36 AM   #7
    TAZMZN

TAZMZN HB User

Hello all,

Again, I can only sit for a short period of time so I would like to thank everyone for their help and advice on my issue.

Hey Carl it's nice to see you back! Your jokes made me laugh !

Thanks again.

Take Care,

TAZ

Old 06-28-2004, 06:09 PM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Doc just prescribed Miralax for me

Old 06-28-2004, 06:55 PM   #9
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

OhhhhBOY... do I feel your pain. I had back surgery June 2003.
    I'm here to tell you... I delivered children smaller than the BMs I gave birth to!
    What a horrific awful thing to have gone through.

I am prepared for this next surgery (July 27). I'm going to ask them to put the stool softener in my IV HA.

I agree with all that's been said so far. Best to control with diet, but at times it needs a boost. Raisin Bran, good. Bananas BAD. Mangoes are suppose to be excellent.

I question the suppositories. From what I remember last time, it's harder than heck to position yourself to get them in there!

However, I do know.. if all gets too bad, I'll just go to the bookstore.. Why is it every time I get in a bookstore I have to go?

Here's hoping it comes out alright. (no pun intended )

Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 PM   #10
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User

[b]TxHunni[/b]

hahaahha your too funny

Do you know about the store Walmart? I live in California and this store is in just about every corner... Anyway, every time I go into that store, not even 10 minutes have passed, and I am searching for the bathrooms. Even my brother noticed it since I have gone there a couple of time with him. He goes: "Raiza, I think there is a some sort of connection between your butt and this store" .. LOL LOL ... anyway, I guess Walmart will be my last resource in case things get pretty tight. LOL

Old 06-29-2004, 04:08 PM   #11
    TAZMZN

TAZMZN HB User

Hello again,

Thanks for the LAUGHS ! It feels good to laugh and smile again.

I am still afraid of taking pain meds because of the constpation situation I was in. I do not know how I am able to handle this pain! It hurts like you know what...

Thanks again.

Take care,

Taz

Old 06-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #12
    mlachowicz
    Veteran
    (female)

mlachowicz HB User

Taz:

I have not yet been operated on (7/8/04) however, I am in the same boat as you every day of my life! Senecot works best for me.... start with 1 a day, if that doesn't work within 12 hours try 2.

Good Luck, and best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!

mlachowicz

Old 06-30-2004, 08:45 AM   #13
    TootieW

TootieW HB User

Taz

I posted on another thread you wrote. Colace is the best stool softener around and it works. I had to get off the percocet and oxy cause they were making me crazy.

I now take the vicodin 750, it doesn't take all the pain away but it is easier on my stomach and the relief is enough for me to handle the pain.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!
    Beth

Old 07-01-2004, 02:46 PM   #14
    julzntx

julzntx HB User

Thanks for the light heartedness about this subject!

I had a discectomy/laminectomy with drop foot in January 2004 and I suffered horribly with constipation for about 3 weeks post surgery. Fleets and colace solved the problem for me!

And yes, it will pass LOL

Julzntx

Old 07-01-2004, 04:28 PM   #15
    MzTeeinLB

MzTeeinLB HB User

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi all-

Something I found with years of being on and off meds - there is an herbal tea made by Natures Remedy called Smooth Move (really - I'm not kidding!) and it works great. The natural is what made me try it - it has natural senna as the base of the tea - if you don't like the taste of black licorice - don't try it . It can't be found at most chain drug stores.

Good Luck!!

Tina [/FONT] [/COLOR]

Closed Thread