It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 months post op still in pain and getting really depressed

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2004, 11:47 PM   #1
    toelle

toelle HB User
    Unhappy 4 months post op still in pain and getting really depressed

Hello everyone, this is Toelle. As most of you know I had the micro back surgery 4 months ago. I've been in pain every day since! I's usually not too bad in the morning, level 2,3, or 4. but as the day goes on it gets worse and worse. I'm so sick of going around in pain and not being able to keep up with my friends. It seems like they all forget that I'm in pain and just assume I'll be able to do things llike go out at night, and stuff and usually by that time I'm in such agony I have to go to bed with an ice pack and a Lortab and possibly a Zanex. I went to see the doctor last week and all he has to say is sometimes the pain takes a long time to go away because the disk material was pressing on the nerve for such a long time prior to the surgery. He also said my back will probably never be the same. I'm reallly starting to wonder if I did the right thing by having the surgery since I still seem to be in so much pain. I thought I'd be so much further along by now. I've been trying to get along with just taking a couple Alieve during the day and a Lortab only at night since the doctor wants me to start taking less of them. But I'm in so much pain when I dont take the lortab! I'm so down right now I sometimes dont know how to cope with another day. Also I'm scheduled for carateract surgery so right now I can hardly see as well as being in back pain so there's not a lot I can do to take my mind off the pain. I'm sorry this post is so long , It's 3:00 in the morning and cant' sleep because of the pain and I really feel like I'm at my wit's end! Any words of encourgement would be appreiated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 AM   #2
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User
    Re: 4 months post op still in pain and getting really depressed

[b]Hello toelle [/b],

I am so sorry to hear you are in such pain. I can tell you my back started to get better at about 6 months post/op.. long huh?!! Well it takes time. In July I will have one year post/op and I still have pain.. seems I reached Plateo about 2 to 3 months ago. Ok I am fighting this mentally. We need to take into consideration the physiological part of the recovery. Remember that we have gone through so much pain than our mind may be now scared. I am reading a book called: [i]"Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection" by John E. Sarno[/i] ... I will give it a try. Think positive, everything will get better. You are at only 4 months post surgery...

Hope you have a better day tomorrow,
    Raiza

Old 06-28-2004, 05:31 AM   #3
    back2basics
    (female)

back2basics HB User
    Cool Re: 4 months post op still in pain and getting really depressed

Toelle:

Please remember that everyone heals on a different schedule. My surgery was a little more extensive than yours, but very close. My Dr indicated that I would be able to resume normal activities, (including horse-back riding), at 4 months post op. I was not nearly ready at 4 months post op. I still had a lot of nerve and pain issues and I didn't feel my back was stable enough at that point. I took my first horse-back ride in March this year - 10 months post op. I was still very nervous about the ride and only let the horse run twice. Please note that I have not ridden alot since I was about 15, I am 47 now. I've always loved to ride and try to ride at least once a year. This year I decided that I better get that horse-back ride on the beach in that I always dreamed of.

Anyway, I wanted to respond to let you know that you need more time to heal. I know I thought the recovery would never end for me and sometimes I got extremely depressed about it. More because I was afraid I would never be back to normal activities again. Always remember to celebrate the small things. I was absolutely thrilled when I could scrub my bathtub again! Sounds silly huh?

Please do not give up yet, can you think of anything that has started to become easier? I found that about once every 4-6 weeks, I would find something became a little easier. I helped me to celebrate the victories, no matter how small. I hope this offered a bit of help. Keep us posted on your progress. Dee

PS:I posted a couple of weeks ago with an update on my progress, 1 year 1 month post discectomy/laminectomy L5/S1.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:24 AM   #4
    beebauser

beebauser HB User

I have to agree with dee. It takes more time then they tell you, I was told 6 months and it was a full year before I got full healing.
    hang in there
    bee

Old 06-28-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
    toelle

toelle HB User

Thanks everyone for answering my post so quickly. It really makes me feel better to learn that others with my surgery took 6 months to a year to heal. I guess I just have to hang in there and trust that it will get better some day. I think part of the reason I'm so depressed is that this all happened just before I turned 60. And not only do I have the back pain but I am now facing cataract surgery this summer. I know it's know big deal these days but it's been one more sign of aging and I'm having a hard time with getting used to this getting older stuff and all the related problems. I'm lucky that I still look fairly attractive for my age and have managed to get my weight back down to almost where it was before the surgery. 3 more pounds to go!
    Once again thanks for the info.
    Toelle

Old 06-28-2004, 12:54 PM   #6
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User

Hi toelle:

After all you have posted in the past, I think you are a beautiful person inside and out. I have read a lot of encouragement comments from you to many people in this forum. My aunt in law is 61 and she is such a great looking woman. Unfortunately, she also has back problems but I see she handles it better than me and does not give up. She, as well many of us, is a good fighter. Sometimes I think she does better than me cuz she really takes action of her problems. Goes to get boddy massages, listen to relaxation tapes, got into a list where people pray to angels and so for... I don't even do any of that stuff... and not to mention her beautiful personality...

Hang in there kiddo, you will be okay. Oh I just remember, my grandma had cataract surgery when she was 65, now she is 90 and still going strong.

Vent out if you need to, we are here to listen,

-R

Old 06-28-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

[COLOR=Teal][I][SIZE=3][FONT=Georgia]Toelle, I'm going to stray a bit from the advise the others gave you....not that I think they are wrong at all.....4 months post-op is not a lot of time, but......at 4 months I was not having that much pain, some but nothing like what you describe. I believe I would ask to have another MRI done, just in case. You know your body and if it doesn't feel right to you, then listen to it. You can always get another opinion, too. I'm just saying you should follow your instincts. True, you will tire faster and need more time for your energy level to get back to par, but if you are fighting pain day and night, it is doing nothing to help your energy. Well, just my wandering thoughts.....I do hope it gets better soon.

Oh, hey, I had cataract surgery a couple of years ago. Wonderful, just wonderful. No pain at all and oh, it was great to see clearly again. You'll be so glad you did it.

Carol[/FONT][/SIZE][/I][/COLOR]
    morphine pump

Old 06-30-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

I have a question for the veterans. I'm 6 months post op from hemi/laminectomy & discectomy on L4/L5. At 5 months I started to have some days that were pain free. I could go for maybe a week without any Vicodin. I've been taking Celebrex since the first month post op. Then within the last few weeks I started having pain behind the knee & into my calf. My pain has always been in my thigh for the most part. I'm wondering if this is common, knowing that there is no such thing as "normal" for the healing process. I called my neuro & they switched me from Celebrex to Bextra with the addition of oral steroids. I haven't taken the steroids because I didn't feel they worked several months ago. Anybody else experience this? I was so positive when I felt things were getting better, now I'm back on the bottom. What a rollercoaster this has been.

Carol W.

Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #9
    Racharina
    Inactive

Racharina HB User

Carol W,

Well, on July I will have one year post/op. I tell you, sometimes feels it gets better and then all of a sudden I start developing other pains somewhere else. Those weird pain stress me out and i start having panic attacks. These weird pains will take about 2 to 3 weeks then get better. Later, something new. What I am starting to think is that we start playing games with our minds. You see, my herniation has always been on my R side. Well, after op I developed a pain on the left side. I couldn't do a darn thing. Sometimes it was even more painful than the R side. I could have argued with my NS that he missed my left side and just concentrated on the R. After few months, I started to divert my attention from that pain. I tell you, it took about 7 months for that pain to go away. One day I realized I didn't have it anymore. We have gone through so much chronic pain, that we start getting emotionally scared. I am not saying that you are making all this up. Perhaps you should relax. Per you note, sounds like you have improved a lot in just only 5 months post surgery. I tell you, at five months I was popping up Vicodin like pop corn... now I am down to half of a Vicodine.

We need to also pay attention to the physiological part of it.. and start focusing less in the physical part of it. Do you see my point?

I really really really hope you start back up improving. Be patience.

-R

Closed Thread