It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• post discectomy pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #1
    photogman

photogman HB User
    Post post discectomy pain

I had a discectomy on L3-L4 on 5-28-2003. Since that time I have been in almost constant pain. I was on post-surgery Oxycodone for about 1 week and then they moved me to Hydrocodone since then along with Neurontin. About 3 weeks ago I had a nerve block at L3-L4 for extreme pain in my leg and lower left quadrant of my back. No help. A couple of days ago they gave me a epidural flood at L3-L4 and the pain has gotten nothing but worse almost to the point of being unbearable. The anethesiologist who gave me the epidural flood wants to wean me off the Hydrocodone and he started me on Bextra 20 milligram per day. I've never had such pain in my life with my back and I have some pretty bad pain before, but nothing like this. I have an appt with my neurosurgeon next week and I'm going to rag on him like he's never had before. The only reason they did the surgery was because the disc actually broke away and was pushing on the nerve causing numbness and weakness in my leg, possibly causing paralysis in the future, so I'm not arguing with that. I'm just wondering what the h*ll he did when he was in there that has caused my life to become a h*ll since then. I told my wife, I'll become a Hydrocodone junkie before I have to live with pain like this.

Is this a typical story that people with back surgery have or does the pain eventually get better? I would like to hear from some of you. And on this forum, do we only hear the failures or are there some successes? Thanks for your help and encouragement. I've always been able to tolerate a lot of pain during my life, but this is something else.
    Feb-May 2003-chiropractor
    March 2003-started feeling weakness in left leg
    May 2003 MRI-diagnosed nerve sheath tumor on L3-L4 herniations on L3-L4 and L5-S1, severe arthritis on L5-S1 & L5-L4, moderate degeneration on at least 3 lumbar vert
    May 2003-2nd opinion revealed no nerve sheath tumor, instead severe disc fragmentation pushing on nerve root L3-L4
    May 2003-neurologist tested me and said severe nerve damage as a result-don't know whether temp or perm
    May 28, 2003-micro discectomy L3-L4
    June 27, 2003-anethesiologist-nerve block L3-L4
    June 27, 2003 - present 1800 neurontin per day, Hydrocodone/APAP 5MG/500MG- 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 07:11 AM   #2
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    So sorry for your post-op pain.

At this two month stage of post-op, I would think they should be able to another MRI w/contrast right away to see the condition at the incision site & to determine if there's a reherniation. Sorry, I can't go back & look at your post now, but did you say if you had a few wks of improvement right after your surgery? I felt great 7 days after surgery - but had to move across Country at 2 wks & thought I'd reherniated. (I hadn't) Vioxx & occasional Hydrocodone with food & icing the back really made all the difference for my pain (which had become much worse than pre-surgery). Also, I didn't know I WASN'T supposed to SIT at the time! (Seemed innocent enough!) (hadn't found this great forum warning against it at the time) - & sat a lot (worse thing you can do) after over-doing during the move. And I know you know not to bend,twist,lift anything for awhile longer. Walking helps if you can tolerate it at your current pain level. Again, Ice Ice Ice- helps with inflammation & thereby pressure on that nerve! (Frozen peas on covered back no more than 10 minutes at a time - several x's a day/nite)

Did you have a micro-discectomy or discectomy - and a hemi-laminectomy or laminectomy? Your sciatic nerve may have been more traumatized than others due to the extent of nerve impingement- & along with extensive work that was necessary during surgery (more trauma for nerve) needs longer to heal? Sciatic nerve does heal very slowly. New MRI should help give answers hopefully!

If you feel AFTER talking to your Neuro next wk, that he cannot provide adequate support,answers & a plan for your pain - you may want to consider getting a new MRI with his script FIRST, then finding the best Neuro to interpret them & give you continued care.

Much luck to you & hopefully someone can help with more answers for you here! Hope to hear back from you soon!

Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5

[This message has been edited by TexMich (edited 07-25-2003).]
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 07-25-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
    back2basics
    (female)

back2basics HB User
    photogman:

Laura provided you with some terrific advice. I know that everyone is different in recovery process, but I don't think you should still be in that much pain. You may want to call the surgeon and request a new mri now, before you see him next week. You can at least get on the schedule a little quicker that way.

Be sure to take it easy and let us know how you are doing.

Dee

------------------
    5/7/2003-Laminectomy/Discetomy L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Onset of Pain & numbness in left leg/foot 7/2002
    MRI showed Herniated discs L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Physical Therapy did not help
    Oral steroids seemed to help some
    2 Epidurals - didn't seem to help as much as the oral steroids

Old 07-25-2003, 08:18 AM   #4
    jdog
    Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
    Photog-

From a layman's perspective, I would bet $5 that there might be a fragment still left in there that possibly wasn't seen.

My first surgery was a laminectomy at L4/5 and it went smoothly. I was on meds for a month and a half. However, my leg pain before the surgery was so bad, imagine standing outside when it is raining bricks. post surgery 4 hours and it felt like a gentle breeze. I don't know if it was the pre-surgery severity or not.

You might want to see if your doctor wants you on Neurontin/Topomax and perhaps ask him about massage. Your muscles may be really tight from walking around so long with pain.

Good luck to you and tell us what they find.

jdog

Old 07-25-2003, 08:22 AM   #5
    aroberts
    Inactive

aroberts HB User
    photogman
    Sorry to hear you are in so much pain. Hopefully it will get better.
    Be very careful with that BEXTRA. That stuff almost did me in. Make sure that they monitor you while you are on it. They have to do liver and kidney blood test.
    GOOD LUCK
    Alex

------------------
    1997 Hurt on the job
    1997 Surgery Lf knee
    1998 Jan on WC
    1998 Surgery Rt knee
    1999 Low back pain
    WC denied any treatment for back
    All of 1999 and half of 2000 living in constant back and leg pain
    Jun 2000 finally saw ortho doc. Sent me to PT for 2 months
    Oct 2000 back much worse.
    Nov 2000 saw ortho again. Had spidural injection
    Dec 2000 another epidural Injection
    Jan 2001 another Epidural Injection
    Mar 2001 Still no relief for back
    Mar 2002 finally WC approved MRI
    Saw ortho and Spine specialest.. Herniated L5-S1
    Apr 2001 Surgery on L5-31 to reapir disk
    May 2001 started PT
    all went well for 5 months then back started hurting and leg pain got worse.
    WC denied any further tratment. Had to file for hearing.
    From Jan 2002 till Jun 2003 fought thru pain.
    Finally won appeal. Had
    Lumbar interbody fusion with hardware on Jun 24,2003

Old 07-25-2003, 09:47 PM   #6
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User
    Hi:

This could also be inflammation. I had a micro-d L5-S1 in March, 2001. 2 weeks post op my entire right leg felt like it was extremely swollen and ON FIRE! I was out of my mind with burning pain. Had another MRI to check for re-herniation. It did not reherniate.

Doc put me on the methylprednisone 4 mg. (steroid pack). After 3 days I felt 95% better! All that burning pain was due to inflammation.

After that episode was over....then did the usual healing. But I want to let you know that it took approximatley a year and a half for me to feel "pretty good." I'm doing good for the most part now (2 years later), have lost weight, and FAITHFULLY walk every night. I still have good days and bad days, but for the most part, I am better and do not regret having the surgery. The main reason I had my surgery was due to extreme leg weakness in BOTH legs, bug crawling sensations all over both legs, my legs felt heavy, like I was always dragging them, and severe muscle twitching. Had (have) burning and severe numbness in right thigh.

Leg strength came back, ankle reflexes came back, big toe is strong again, no more bug crawling sensations, and no more muscle twitching.

I do have 'reminders' every day that I have had the surgery, but so far I can deal with it and am very mobile. The thing that surgery didn't help with is the numb right thigh....and some burning in the thigh. That seems to have improved some......maybe due to the 55 pound weight loss and the walking and light stretching regime that I do faithfully everyday.

So.....there is hope. You are only a few months out of surgery......give it some time, be careful in your movements. I wouldn't do anything too strenuous until about 4 months post-op. I know the docs tell you "6 weeks," but it is definitely longer than that. You should continually get better....little by little. Back surgery does take a long time to heal.

Keep us posted on your progress and I hope I have helped some.

Sue

Old 07-26-2003, 03:43 AM   #7
    photogman

photogman HB User
    Thanks Sue and all of you for your responses. My back has been in bad shape for about 30 years. I'm 47 years old and I herniated a disc in 1973 lifting a car with my buddies (taking turns with a small Fiat impressing the girls). At that time I did chiro and mucle relaxants from the ortho. Since that time, my back has probably "went out" about half a dozen times. "Went out" meaning leaning over the table to get a banana and having the jolt of electricity shoot through you and having your legs go out from under you and then the muscles spasmed and knotted up. Follow that up with chiro for about a month and that would take care of me for then. That was the normal procedure for those episodes. I did strong physical work as a teenager and I attribute that to the problems with my back today. The operation was at L3-L4 and L5-S1 was also herniated but the NS didn't touch that one, said it wasn't problematic. The MRI revealed I had moderate disc damage on about 3 of the higher lumbar vertebrae as well with artritis or facet disease as they call it two of the lower joints (L5 and S1). Originally they thought my L3-L4 was a nerve sheath tumor and then later the NS thought the radiologist errored and that it was a disc that broke away. NS was right and said he's done this surgery many times before although it was more challenging than others in the respect he had to excise higher and then come down from above to get the fragments.

Since 5-28-2003 life has not been the same. I was on Oxycodone for 1 week only post surgery. It seemed like I healed nicely at the surgical site and I got through the initial period of turning in bed one millimeter at a time thing. That abated after about 3 weeks, but the pain in left leg, deep inner buttock muscle, and wierd sensation in leg has not disappeared. My leg feels two different sensations: topical sunburn like pain when pants brush up against my leg and then the other, deep, deep pain in the forward muscles i.e. quadriceps, bones on the front etc., but not hamstrings, calves, etc. After surgery I started getting huge muscle jerks. Very violent. One time while wife was driving our car, I was sitting in the adjacent bucket seat and she felt it while we were driving. Other times in our king size bed, she'll feel it when I get one of the big jerks (ok, no jokes here :-) )

That is where the healing has stalled out...persistent, chronic pain, to the point of being unbearable has plaqued me. In the morning the first thing I do is visit the bathroom and just standing up at the toilet is terribly painful. Another big pain I noticed is when I step off a bigger than normal step and am not ready for it....the weight of my leg dropping to the pavement or whatever is extremely painful. I'm taking neurontin every 8 hours for total of 1800 milligrams per day, Bextra 20 twice daily for one week, then scaled back to once daily, and now I told the nurse I'm stepping up my hydrocodone/APAP 5/500 to every 4 to 6 hours like it had been earlier. I drilled the NS's nurse and told her that people on this forum said I should have been making progress rather than 3 steps backwards and she was in agreement. I told her I'm not a whiner and have a good tolerance for pain. I went in earlier this week for another nerve root injection at L3-L4, but the anethesiologist instead poked a hole between the cheeks of my red rosey and ran a long flexible needle up my back and gave me a flood of cortisone. I assume this was an epidural flood? He said since it was L3-L4 it was harder to reach because of the length he had to travel up from my butt. I tolerated that fine. I'd go in everyday to have that done just for a day's freedom from the pain if possible, but that hasn't worked thus far either. I went back to work half days two weeks after surgery and wished I would have waited longer. I use the computer a lot at home and probably shouldn't sit so much, but I'm like most of you, computer junkies. I don't walk much because it's too painful. Lying on my back brings some relief too. I sleep through the whole night mostly because I'm exhausted from dealing with pain. I never slept through the whole night pretty much most of my life before my surgery. I don't even hear the alarm clock go off anymore. I may go in and lie down at 8 pm and sleep till 6 am the next morning. I haven't done that previous to my surgery. I told the nurse I'll be a junkie before I resign myself to living with the pain the rest of my life. My story is probably not unlike a lot of you and I appreciate the pain all of you have went through. This experience has made me a lot more humble and caring (not that I wasn't before), but pain management is such a tremendous challenge for the medical community. So far, my intimacy with my wife has not been affected too much because I simply won't let that happen. Like they say, "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. No acrobatics like when I was younger, but, heck, I'm 47 now. I haven't done any stretching or exercising which I probably should, but the nurse didn't think it would be advisable with the pain problems I've been having....I'm extremely happy, fortunate, and grateful to have stumbled across this forum and have nothing but respect and warm feeling towards all of you and wish you the best and a pain-free life and I now realize if you can get pain-free it means claiming back your life.

[This message has been edited by photogman (edited 07-26-2003).]

[This message has been edited by photogman (edited 07-26-2003).]
    Feb-May 2003-chiropractor
    March 2003-started feeling weakness in left leg
    May 2003 MRI-diagnosed nerve sheath tumor on L3-L4 herniations on L3-L4 and L5-S1, severe arthritis on L5-S1 & L5-L4, moderate degeneration on at least 3 lumbar vert
    May 2003-2nd opinion revealed no nerve sheath tumor, instead severe disc fragmentation pushing on nerve root L3-L4
    May 2003-neurologist tested me and said severe nerve damage as a result-don't know whether temp or perm
    May 28, 2003-micro discectomy L3-L4
    June 27, 2003-anethesiologist-nerve block L3-L4
    June 27, 2003 - present 1800 neurontin per day, Hydrocodone/APAP 5MG/500MG- 1-2 tablets every 4-6 hours

Old 07-26-2003, 04:29 AM   #8
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi everyone. Photogman~ I think Sue gave you some excellent 1st hand advise, but I still think I'd request another MRI just to be sure. I am 7 weeks post micro-d and although I still have foot pain (same as pre-surgery), I don't have any pain compared to you. I know that darn infammation can be aweful (as Laura and Sue both experienced) but I'd just want to know for sure. Are you icing your back religiously? If it's inflammation, that may help some.
    Good luck and let us know.
    ~Sue, thanks for posting a 2 year update! I for one am sorry to see you still have numbness. I am hoping that mine will go away, but I had it for over a year so it's a possibility it won't. Did you do PT afterwards? And did you ever do a TENS unit for the pain/numbness in you thigh? Just curious cause it really helps me and I'm looking for other's experience.
    Well, take care everyone and have a great day! ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 07-26-2003, 02:07 PM   #9
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User
    Hi Photo and Daubie:

Daubie...yes, I did PT approximately 4 months after my micro-d. I only went 3 times, as I could tell this was making things worse. I don't care how much the docs told me to try PT, I knew it wasn't helping, so I just stopped. I did my own thing. (oh, by the way, before my surgery, I was in PT for...oh...I don't even know how many times....seemed like 200 times! ha haha.....the pt BEFORE my surgery helped a little bit, as far as relieving tingling toes and tingling calf). By doing my own thing, I walked. At first, not far at all. But I would not give in to this back thing. I had to go to the park, where there were benches, so I could sit every 25 yards. Yes, only 25 yards. Not far. Then next week it would be 50 yards, etc. I did this every day....but took off Wednesday's and Sunday's to give my back/legs a rest. You should see some of the places I've walked! ha ha....I had to plan it out so that I could sit down frequently.

So, today, I can walk pretty fast for about a mile and a half. And I'm still trying to improve on that.

No, I haven't tried a TENS unit, so don't know if that would have helped me or not. Even so, I did not want to rely on a TENS unit. I just wanted this crap GONE!!!

Photo: Yes, I too, experienced leg jerks. This lasted for about 4-5 months after surgery. Just laying in bed, and "varoom" off my leg would go. It didn't hurt, but it was annoying as all hell. Little jerks here and there, and while sitting also. Never while standing or walking. I got the leg jerks when my legs were at rest. Then one day....it just went away!

I should mention that I waited 15 months before having my surgery. I am 45 years old.

Photo, also after my surgery (4 months later), I was feeling pretty decent, then all of a sudden, had sharp pains in my right hip and butt-cheek again. Neurosurgeon said that I had disc space collapse. It collapsed a little further due to some disc being taken out for the discectomy. I didn't even know it could do that! But I was told that my back was weak and that is why it collapsed further. So, I vowed to strengthen, strengthen, strengthen. The hip pain and deep butt-pain went away in about 3 months after that. Don't know why, as the disc space is surely still collapsed. I'm thinking that my muscles must be a little stronger around the spine are, therefore, muscles are helping alignment in back.....and it doesn't rely so much on the vertebrae. I really am not sure.

I still am extremely careful in everything I do. Like just now, I got done mopping my huge kitchen floor....twice...a wash, then a rinse. Now, I will be going to the couch for 20 minutes with my ice pack. I won't even give this a chance to flare up! ha ha....

Photo, I am a secretary, and am on the computer all the time. I ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY get up every half hour and take a walk down the hall. You are right, sitting is the worst, as it puts pressure on all the lumbar discs. That's how they believe I herniated anyway. Sitting so much. I didn't have any accident. One day, the disc must have just blew. So, please get up at work every half hour and stretch a little bit and take a 1 mintue walk. I have even gone into the bathroom into the handicapped one (big) and did some "fast" leg stretches. I still do that from time to time. Every little bit helps.

Photo....don't despair yet. You could really STILL GET BETTER.

Keep in touch.

Sue

Old 07-26-2003, 03:39 PM   #10
    NoMorePainPLZ

NoMorePainPLZ HB User
    hi there, i had a discectomy 2 years ago in my neck and i havent been the same since. i am still in major pain and the docs wont give me anything, they tell me to deal. my neck constantly feels tense. and is always in pain. i give up !!!!!!!

Old 07-26-2003, 03:48 PM   #11
    Rustysgurl
    (female)

Rustysgurl HB User
    Hi there - in the words of Bill Clinton, I feel your pain! I went through a microdiskectomy back in 2001 (L4-5), and like you, felt better for several weeks. Then the pain came roaring (and I mean roaring) back. I underwent several rounds of epidural injections and a medial branch nerve block without relief (the injections and block actually made it worse). Well, my surgeon did a gadolinium-enhaned MRI, and evidently I developed massive scar tissue, which is now pressing on the nerves. The trouble with scar tissue is that you can't remove it surgically with much success - it comes back worse. To top it off, my disk ended up deteriorating badly after the first surgery, and I ended up having a L4-5 anterior and posterior fusion (with cages, screws and morphogenic bone protein in November 2002). In the words of others who have posted, I would definitely ask your surgeon for another MRI. Make sure it's gad-enhanced - that way the surgeon can tell if anything showing up on the scan has blood flow or not. Evidently that's how you tell if it's scar tissue or additional disk herniation.

Good luck -

Mary

Old 07-26-2003, 07:25 PM   #12
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User
    Yes, I would ask for another MRI with gad as well. You need to know exactly what you are dealing with.

I wondered about my own scar tissue a few months after surgery. All my doctors said that it would take about 3 months for major scar tissue to form, and that if there are problems with excessive scar tissue, the 3-month point is a good time to check. That is a good suggestion that Rustysgurl brought up.

Rustygurl - I have heard of a procedure called Wydase Procedure. The scar tissue is not surgically cut out, but done another way. I didn't follow through on checking this procedure out, since scar tissue wasn't a problem with me. Wish I could give you details on that, but maybe you would want to do a search on "Wydase." I am aware that scar tissue that is surgically cut out does come back twice as much, but this procedure may offer a different outcome...I don't know for sure, but thought I would mention it to you.

Take care all.

Sue

Old 07-27-2003, 04:09 AM   #13
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Good morning all. ~Sue, hi, I wanted to address something you said and maybe shed some light. You said 4 mos post op you got the pain back and doc said the disc collapsed, right? You had the pain for 3 mos and worked on strengthening excercises, and the pain went away, but you aren't sure why since the disc must still be collapsed, right? My first visit to PT at 4 weeks post op, he explained something to me that my other therapist didn't. This guy was really good at motivating me to start and keep up with strengthening core muscles forever. He said (and I can't explain it as well as he did, of course) that your spine is only responsible for 30% of your supporting your body. Most people think it's a lot higher (I did). Anyway, the muscles are responsible for 70% of your total body support. Since your spine in compromised after any back surgery, if you strenthen your core muscles and keep them strengthened, you can overcompensate for the spine. As you said you started strengthening, I think you did exactly that, and even tho the disc collapsed, your muscles are now taking up the slack from the lack of disc. Sounds good to me, anyway. I have been doing my exercises religiously and plan on doing them forever (ya,I know, it's still early!). Anyway, whatever happened, I'm glad you are doing so well, and I'm glad you shared, in case I start a downward trend I will know it may not be permanent! Take care, and talk to you soon. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 05-15-2007, 08:40 AM   #14
    myrtlebeach
    (male)

myrtlebeach HB User
    Re: post discectomy pain

I had the Discectomy Feb 06 2007 and it's now May 15th 2007. I have been getting around great since the surgery. Obviously with the Pain medication or I would not be able to do it without. I was told that I have Nerve Root damage and that I will be in pain for the rest of my life. I hated hearing that and immediately told the Doc about my depression. He has since put me on Cymbolta which seems to be helping very well. Here is where things are bad... I have had a soreness in my left leg, my testicles which has been a bit painful but not as bad as pre-surgery. The last 2 weeks I have noticed a muscle tightness in my lower back and left leg. I never did do the Physical T. so i am thinking I have to do it however, yesterday the muscle pain in my leg butt and back is crippling. I am unable to get out of bed for at least 30 minutes, when I do my pain is so severe that I do not want to live anymore... I don't know what to do.. I contacted my Doc and am waiting a call back but thought maybe someone might have some advice for me here. It feels like the muscle in my leg has to be stretched out but when I stretch it the pain is unbearable.. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Old 05-15-2007, 10:40 AM   #15
    koc66
    Inactive
    (female)

koc66 HB User
    Re: post discectomy pain

[QUOTE=myrtlebeach;2984263]I had the Discectomy Feb 06 2007 and it's now May 15th 2007. I have been getting around great since the surgery. Obviously with the Pain medication or I would not be able to do it without. I was told that I have Nerve Root damage and that I will be in pain for the rest of my life. I hated hearing that and immediately told the Doc about my depression. He has since put me on Cymbolta which seems to be helping very well. Here is where things are bad... I have had a soreness in my left leg, my testicles which has been a bit painful but not as bad as pre-surgery. The last 2 weeks I have noticed a muscle tightness in my lower back and left leg. I never did do the Physical T. so i am thinking I have to do it however, yesterday the muscle pain in my leg butt and back is crippling. I am unable to get out of bed for at least 30 minutes, when I do my pain is so severe that I do not want to live anymore... I don't know what to do.. I contacted my Doc and am waiting a call back but thought maybe someone might have some advice for me here. It feels like the muscle in my leg has to be stretched out but when I stretch it the pain is unbearable.. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hi, I am so sorry to hear you are having this problem. I can relate. I had my discectomy L5/s1 in Jan 07 and I still have pain. I had severe nerve root damage and was told I could also have pain the rest of my life. My pain is in my Right leg and foot and buttock area, being female I have pain in other areas as well. I also cannot get out of bed until I take my pain meds and wait 30 minutes and my leg and body feels the need to be stretched. I even feel as if I walk crooked. I did do the PT for about 10 weeks at 2x week and it really made no difference, sometime it aggravated it even more. When I stretch I have the same pain, I have been back to my surgeon in fact I am having a repeat MRI today, but I do not think he suspects he will find anything. I was told it takes a month for 1/18th inch to heal. I was in pain for 5 months before surgery and in a wheelchair, and mine just happened, went to bed fine..woke up in severe pain unable to stand or walk. You have to hang in there and give it time and maybe request to see a pain specialist to help you with your pain...Best of Luck to you..K

Last edited by koc66; 05-15-2007 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

Closed Thread