It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Post Caudal Injection - Uh-oh!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2003, 05:29 AM   #1
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Post Post Caudal Injection - Uh-oh!

Hi all!

I had Caudal Epi Inj 7/28. Feels like it's addressing tailbone pain. I AM able to sit for longer periods w/out having to shift or stand. For that, I'm thankful. I have another sched for Tues 8/12.

Thursday, 7/31,, I had some pretty severe 'zapping' in my right hip, travelled down my leg to the toes. Stopped me in my tracks 3 times. Called doc. Sect'y recorded it/said nurse would call back. She didn't. Had a couple more times w/ the zapping. My big toe and next 2 felt strange to walk on...and even tingled while sitting.

Yesterday, I was up @ 5 - couldn't sleep. I have ALOT of nerve things going on. By last night, the 'stretched skin' feeling was back on top of my foot. numb/tingles travelling up my right leg (outside AND front) almost to knee. Left calf - outside only. Throughout the day...pain in right hip progressively getting worse.

Dull, aching throb Near tailbone...but NOT Directly at tip (if that makes sense) So, I think the injection is still working on that. But, my Right Dimple/Right Hip and now...right leg are having Burning, Zinging constant yesterday. I am better after sleeping or lying down. Oh... also have Spasms in Right Thoracic area on back.

I am SO bummed. I felt like I was walking so tenderly yesterday so as not to aggravate it. I had to take more BT. And Still was hurting. All I can think is "I am 40. How am I going to feel when I'm 50, 60...?" I plan to live til I'm 100....but, if I'm going to be crippled....do I want that?

Sorry so long. I'm just getting a little freaked about all this tingly stuff. I almost feel like the tear has become Worse @ L4!! Is that possible w/out having done Anything I can think of?

Thnx for listening [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif[/img]

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
    (2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
    7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
    8/12 - sched for 2nd Caudal & manipulation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2003, 04:04 PM   #2
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User
    Hello Karen - i can't help you much . I am sure that someone will come along soon that can help you more . But i did want to thank you for helping me with the ESI info . I start those in the morning .I will keep you in my prayers , Shauna

[This message has been edited by shaukc (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 08-03-2003, 08:13 PM   #3
    HNPatL4L5

HNPatL4L5 HB User
    Hi Karen,

I don't think you have to worry too much about the increased sensations after your injection. (By the way, outside of calf, top of foot and big toe sounds like L5.) It is due to the increased volume of fluid pressure. It will peak a few days after the injection then decrease gradually. I remember how alarming it was. The worst nerve sensations I had were right after an ESI. Already inflamed nerves don't respond well to fluid pressure.

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] HNP
    Nerve block mid March 2003
    Microdiscectomy 4 April 2003
    3 months PT (trunk stabilization)
    Walk 4 miles daily from now on.

Old 08-04-2003, 03:17 AM   #4
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi Shauna & HNP!

Shauna...thank you for your reply! I'll be thinking of you this morning and sending good wishes for a smooth ESI! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif[/img] When you feel up to it, let us know how you're doing!

HNP, some of the added sensation post-injection I Do think are from the fluid, but...how can the L5 nerve root be affected by the injection that I had? I mean, it's quite a bit Above where he went in. Isn't it? [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img]

I was stretching this morning in bed, arching backwards, and got stabbing just right to tailbone. But, I think alot of the 'muscle/soft tissue' stuff c/b bcuz we Only did the injection & manipulation so far....not PT to change the way the muscle & ligaments 'think' down there, if you will. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Thanks again! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Karen

Old 08-04-2003, 04:32 AM   #5
    HNPatL4L5

HNPatL4L5 HB User
    [quote]...some of the added sensation post-injection I Do think are from the fluid, but...how can the L5 nerve root be affected by the injection that I had? I mean, it's quite a bit Above where he went in. Isn't it?[/quote]

Yes, but fluid under pressure flows up as well as down! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/idea.gif[/img]

Also, I absolutely agree with what you said about muscle/soft tissue. PT following inflamation reduction provided by steroids does the trick.

[This message has been edited by HNPatL4L5 (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 04:33 AM   #6
    HNPatL4L5

HNPatL4L5 HB User
    How are you feeling today?

[This message has been edited by HNPatL4L5 (edited 08-04-2003).]

Old 08-04-2003, 08:36 AM   #7
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi HNP!

Thnx for response!

As for how I feel today? I am extremely tired! That has more to do w/ chaotic step-daughters and evil ex-spouses!

Sadly, the pain in tailbone seems to be creeping back....but, not to the extent it was before. Still able to sit longer So, I'm holding out for the 'rose-colored glass' theory and the next injection is going to work better!!!!

I am still having the tingling/numbness... moreso rather than other way around. I am now 7 days out from injection. Right hip - I can't even rub my hand over due to sensitivity/pain. Really feels good when my 18month old runs up and grabs me there! lol Part of being mommy!

Thanks for asking! How are you doin' today? We were supposed to have really yucky weather.... and - as usual - they're WRONG! Yippee! I'm going to get my girls ready and go outside while the getting is good! Maybe I'll wake up! or....maybe I'll have one more cup'o'jo!

Karen

Old 08-04-2003, 09:11 AM   #8
    ChristinaD
    Veteran

ChristinaD HB User
    Hi Karen!
    I didn't see your post until now. Your symptoms that your are having sound waaaaay to much like the problems I had 3 years ago the first time that I "ruptured"/"tore" my discs at L4 L5 and L5 S1.
    I had such major tailbone pain that I swore that the doctor just wasn't getting it when I explained it to him he said that it all went together. I swore my tailbone must have been cracked. But, as my discs "healed" after about a year, the tailbone pain went away as well. I had shooting pains in my tailbone as well and couldn't sit, I remember laying the car seat back all the way when I went in the car. (did you try sitting on a doughnut?)
    So, I'm sorry I don't remember, but how long have you had this going on and the tear and all?
    I'm wondering because after the disc heals and praying that it does on its own, this tailbone stuff could resolve. I have talked to so many people on this board that I can't remember exactly when this started for you.
    If it makes any difference, even with my problems now, I have zero tailbone pain only once in a while I'll get a little ***** there but it's nothing. So when my doctor told me that the tailbone thing did have to do with my disc, that is one thing that I think he could have been right about.
    Also, when I had injections that made me feel worse. I couldn't even stand it. I thought it had something to do with either there not being enough room for the liquid in there because of all the inflammation or the fact that the nerves were in shock because they were getting some "help". Who knows, that's just my philosophy.
    Did you say that they found something when they looked more closely at your tailbone, I forgot, sorry!
    I hope your pain and discomfort goes away soon!!!
    Christina
    June 2002: Had a relapse and tore/ruptured disc again.
    Now I'm 14 months into it and the pain is still there.
    Can't deal with it anymore so I'm having a discectomy in Sept. Hoping and praying that it takes care of my problems!!

Old 08-04-2003, 11:59 AM   #9
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Wink

Hi Christina!

Don't apologize for not remembering....I barely remember my Own ailments!

Anyway...yes, they did find something w/ tailbone. It's displaced...quite badly. It is curled WAY forward. No wonder my pubic bone has felt bruised!

I've been dealing w/ THAT part of it since my oldest was born, 9/22/00. Awhile. They never did a coccyx xray b4. So, the caudal epi actually has made it easier for me to sit longer. I'm hoping the 2nd one on 8/12 will help further. I also will be getting the coccygeal manipulation Again. He's trying to manually move the dang thing....it's a real pleasant thing - NOT! THEN - I'll be going for PT to strengthen muscles/ligaments of pelvic floor (I believe this is what the doc said) Hopefully, when all of this is done - we will have resolved the Coccyx part.

As for the tear.... I'm not really sure how long I've had that. I Do know that nerve involvement has been going on for over 6 months bcuz that's about how long I've had tingling and zapping things in toes. It has progressively worsened. I think we'll be going down the Discogram road again as the results of the 1st one are iffy.

I think you're right about the painful injections thinking that there's so little room w/ the inflammation that it hurts like crazy!!! I am hoping it's calmed down a little since the 1st injection from the steroids..and the next one won't be as bad. AND - I hope they give me more sedation cuz I'd rather not be aware of much!

ttfn

Karen

Closed Thread