It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Muscle atrophy,Due to si dysfunction

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #1
    lilmissprissy72

lilmissprissy72 HB User
    Unhappy Muscle atrophy,Due to si dysfunction

Hello everyone I haven't posted here in some time because i have been having alot of problems.I went to the dr yesterday because i have empty spot right above my left butt cheek,and a little to the left of the si joint,and it had nothing in it.It all started about 3 weeks ago it started out small.But it has grown to about the size of a coffee cup,and when ask how far this muscle eatin episode would go,answer to me "UH I don't Know" I also ask how far down my leg it would go,and would those muscle come back.He said he didn't think so.I didn't wanna hear that.After i got home I have done some research on this and it is caused by sever si dysfunction.I believe the si injection also had something to do with this muslce more less dying.Because I have had sooo sooo many over the last 15 months.1 every month,and the dr allowed it.I just would like to ask anyone who may read this,Have you ever heard of this and does it just keep getting worse.I am going to therpy in 2 weeks,But I also have a annular tear,si dysfuction,so I am not sure how much i can get out of therpy.Please if you have this or have heard of it,I would like some kind info on it,I am just scared it will keep traveling down my cheek to my leg and i will be crippled,can anyone help?

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 07-10-2004 at 07:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #2
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User
    Re: Muscle atrophy,Due to si dysfunction

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Georgia][I]I wish I could help you. Shame on your doctor for giving you so many steroid shots; like you, I suspect that that might be the cause of your problem. Any doctor who does these shots knows the danger and knows you are not suposed to have more than 3-4 a year. He was grossly negligent.

I hope you find some help for this.

Carol[/I][/FONT[/COLOR]]
    morphine pump

Old 07-13-2004, 07:22 PM   #3
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

lilmiss:

That doctor should be taken out, tied down and given all of those shots that he gave to you. How come he gave so many? Have you read The Burton Report? I would print it out and give it to him. NO, I would throw it in his face!

My doctor admitted to me that they are not good, In fact, they destroy tissue. This was only after I had three and refused any more. This particular doctor told me that she didn't do more than three in any one's life time, even if not in the same spot.

You should have been seeing a doctor who specializes in SI joint dysfunction. I was referred to a phsiatrist. I am not sure how it is spelled. They are highly specialized in their training.

So, instead of PT, ask to see one of these. You can look for one in you area. Plug it into the Google search engine and it will spell it correctly for you and you can read about them and find one in your area.

good luck,

NO MORE SHOTS!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2004, 12:35 PM   #4
    lilmissprissy72

lilmissprissy72 HB User

Ty so much for your post,I have never heard of the report you are talking about,I would be very egar to read it though,The reason why I have had so many was due to the dysfunction.It all started in 1995 and was diagnosed around 17 months ago,That is when I thought I had finally found someone who Knew what he was talking about because for 8 years no one could tell me what my problem was.so when the therpist told me what it was,The refered me to the clinic.This dr told me these injection would help me.So I jumped at the chance.first he started with a epideral I had 2 of those.They didn't help.So then he decided facet injections which I had 3 or 4 of those with no relief.So then he suggested Si injections.I must admit the first one I had inn my left hip was wonderful for about 3 weeks.3 weeks after the first one,I called him back and told him that the right side was starting to act like the left side did in 1995 with all the poping and cracking so He eagarly said well make your appt so I can give you one on the right side next week.So when i went in he did BOTH sides,so from oct 2002 I would call and make my own appt and I would sometimes only have the one in the left hip(not knowing they were dangerous) I would call at least once every 3 months sometime sooner.I Probably only had the right hip injected 5 times,But the left hip many many times.I never knew or was advised it was dangerous or there was no way I would have gotten that many.he just told me to call when i needed and I did as such.All in all probably had 12 si,2 epiderals,4 facet...in 15 months.So Now i am left with a spot in my left hip that is Huge and I am worried dto death how far down my leg it is gonna continue to go.It is like a hole in my hip buttocks back area.Well left of the si area.I am really curious to that report if anyone has info on it I would greatly apperiated it.I hope explained this well enough,I am just very concerned and scared.

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 07-16-2004 at 12:43 PM.

Old 07-19-2004, 12:12 AM   #5
    sotiredofpain

sotiredofpain HB User
    Red face Re: Muscle atrophy,Due to si dysfunction

i get those shots in my lower back, tailbone area, and mid back atleast once a month, sometimes twice a month and i have been getting them for over a year and half. i had no idea that the shots could do this. maybe thats why my pain has gotten so much worse. i am worried now. i have a very mean dr anyway. i am on comp, so i cant find another dr to take me, but i am trying, believe me i am trying!! where can i get that report that was mentioned?? god bless u all.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:55 AM   #6
    MaO3

MaO3 HB User

Try google for it using the name you will find it. It is very informative, and I'm sure glad I found this board and all its members wisdom before a Dr. offered me the shots.

Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM   #7
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

While looking up The Burton Report in regards to the steroid shots, look up the therapy, Prolotherapy and see if it is something that might work for you. It worked for me. Very spendy, but workman's comp covers it.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:52 PM   #8
    MaO3

MaO3 HB User

Injured Betty - Prolo has been suggested to me as well, but I could find little information to go on and had when it was suggested, I had not had an MRI or anything other than the first set of xrays. I have spondy and wonder what your condition is that the prolo has helped you?
    Sorry - I don't mean to hijack this discussion!

Old 07-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #9
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

There is tons of info on the net in regards to Prolo. My pelvis was always out. One leg was shorter than the other due to this and it threw my whole system off. I had pain in my hip, groin, SI joint. I went through the whole gamut of therapy except shots. I had three in my shoulder. They didn't work. Then I read the Burton Report and said, no more.

For years they adjusted my pelvis. It was out so much that I developed arthritis in L4. Finally I found out about Prolotherapy. It was a long shot, very costly and VERY painful, but my ligaments were stretched out and not going back in no matter what they did. Once stretched, it is like the breasts, which are ligaments and fat/muscles, they sag. But, with Prolotherapy they can trick your ligaments into regrowing into stronger tissue than it was before.

It took a few treatments and I thought that I would die, but my ligaments are tight and my back/hips/SI no longer hurts. I have to keep active, do stretches, walk, not use my hip to close the doors any more, watch how I get into and out of cars, and chairs, but if I do all of this, I am pain free.

For awhile I was on Bextra, Neurontin, Ultraset and Xanax. I am off all of those. There was a point where I almost went in for an SI joint injection. I was all set up to go. The next day all pain stopped. Miracle? People praying for me? Who knows. I still have synovial cysts from the injury (rare cysts) but they are no longer inflammed and are not causing me any problems.

I am a Prolo success story. Granted, the doctor hit a nerve, but it seems to have healed.

For the first time in years and years, my pelvis is staying in alignment and I can go about my life.

Sounds like you need to find a doctor who specialized in SI. Look for a Physiatrist. (not sure of spelling)

Old 07-21-2004, 04:33 PM   #10
    MaO3

MaO3 HB User

HI InjuredBetty
    I have Spondylolisthisis at L4/L5. I have suffered for the last 18 months - nearly a year before seeing the doc. I'm not one to go for myself. I have spent the last few months waiting for answers. My family Doc sent me to a sports medicine doc - first. He was the one who suggested prolotherapy. I wasn't sure about it as I really didn't have a diagnosis. I now know what my problem is but am still going thru the testing. I have had an MRI but am now scheduled for an EMG in August. I will see what happens after that. Thanks for your reply

Old 07-21-2004, 08:11 PM   #11
    Sarandipity
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Sarandipity HB User
    Unhappy Re: Muscle atrophy,Due to si dysfunction

[B]I have the same thing... pelvis out of alignment- been getting adjusted for 5 years. I have that "coffee size" cup hollow place in my right side upper buttocks. I had no idea it was muscle at. Although the only way to describe how it feels is to say "it feels like my muscle is detached from the bone"[/B]

What do I do where do I go? [B]I just burst out in tears... Im so "broken"[/B] Im 37 and feel like none of these doctors really give a flip. Im so sad. I thought this would all go away but to my sad wake up call this is just the beginning. I wish I was in the hospital in a freakin hospital bed and just there until some doctor who knew what they were doing could finally help me. I feel like chaining myself up to a hospital bed and demanding someone to finally do there job. (Wouldn't that be the top story on the 5 o'clock news)

Okay, I stopped crying. But Im just in so much pain. Sometimes I just don't want to be here to live in this body anymore. But I have to stay here to take care of my little girls who love me so much.

I have nothing but negative things to say so Im signing off.

Old 07-22-2004, 05:52 AM   #12
    MaO3

MaO3 HB User

Hey Sarandipity
    I know how you feel, the first couple of times I saw my doc, he more or less said "live with it you have DD" I went back and told him how I felt and some of the things that I couldn't do, I even told him that there were times that my hubby had to remove my pants cause I couldn't bend or lift my leg to get them off myself due to nerve compression. He finally took my complaints seriously after that and ordered more advanced exrays and an MRI - referred me to a neuro and gave me some pain meds instead of NSAIDS (which did nothing for me). After the second set of xrays- I was diagnosed with Spondy - which changed the way I was being treated. I'm still awaiting further testing, but at least he understands that I'm really in pain and that he needs to keep working with me. By the way I'm 38 with three sons so I do understand the broken feeling. I hate that I'm not able to do the things that I used to do or the things I want to do. Keep pushing your doc, if he won't help find another. Its hard I know, but sometimes I think that they just don't have any idea what kind of pain we are living with. Try to keep your spirits up!

Old 07-22-2004, 08:34 AM   #13
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

I would suggest to either/both of you to at least consult with a Prolotherapist in your area. You can find them through a web search or by calling a pain management clinic in your area. Mine was advertised as "non-surgical pain management". It takes awhile to get an appointment and a consult is well worth the time and money. If I counted up all of the money that I spent on adjustments on my pelvis I could have bought a new car. So, it was worth it in the end for me. Not a day goes by that I don't say a private thanks to myself for finally putting money issues aside and having this done.

It all seems like a hoax but nothing else was working. I have been pain free for about a month now. Pelvis in alignment. I had it done back in April and May. I was in pain for years and years. An accident finally drove me to it as I knew that there had to be a way to repair it without surgery.

I am by no means advertising this method. I have no stake in it. I am just trying to let you know that it does work. No more belts, adjustments, pain meds, just lots of exercise, stretches, walking, and being able to dance again.

Old 07-23-2004, 06:25 AM   #14
    out2lunch
    Inactive

out2lunch HB User

Hi, steroid injections not only destroy tissues, but it also eats away your bones when given too much!! Someone mentioned earlier that their dr said they're to be given 3 times in your lifetime and that's so true!! I don't know why things that are suppose to help you, end up hurting otherways later on!!
    If any of you are getting cortisone shots, please stop!!! That's the worst kind, from what I've heard from every dr I've dealt with si nce my accident!! I was told steroid injections should be outlawed!!
    Lili...do you have to pay out of your own pocket for these injections?? I know alot of things in the US have to be paid for by the patient, and so thought maybe this is why your dr was willing to give you as many as you wanted!! You know, a fast way for him to get rich!!!
    I truly think you should report him to the medical foundation in your area, before he hurts someone else or even worse!!! Drs like this need to be stopped!! At the least, he needs to be banned from giving any injections, since he either wants to get rich or doesn't know what he's doing in the first place!!
    I hate the fact that we're forced to put our safety in the dr's hands, but even more so when they don't even know what they're doing!! I hope that everyone will research whatever procedure their dr wants to try BEFORE letting him/her do it!! That's one thing I learned a long time ago, when my pm dr wanted to give me botox injections!! We all have to protect ourselves, 'cause noone cares more about your body then you!! I'm so sorry that so many of you, had to learn the hard way, take care!!

Old 07-23-2004, 10:58 AM   #15
    lilmissprissy72

lilmissprissy72 HB User

First Off I would Like to say a special ty to everyone who has replied.No my insurance paid for my injections,I went to therpy for the 1st time,(This time) I have been going back and forth to therpist for years,well since 1995 to be exact.They said I was a inch and a half shorter on one side and got me in allinment just for me to get up walk about 3 steps and it pop back out.I am soo very very sick of this vicous cycle.They put a insert in my shoe,at least thatis something different.I am just so aggeravted witht this dr that has given me all these shots I am scared to death,That one day I am gonna wake up and find out my butt cheek is gone.When I asked how far this would go down my leg,no one could anwser me or at leats wanted too.I hope it stays localized but i really dont know.I think i am gonna go pull my medical chart and see what kind of meds they put in this injection and just how many to be exact I have had.I am sooo sore all the time I can't sit for more then 15 minutes or lift or bend,and walking is is very limited as well.I walk with a limp that came after the car accident,But i think it is because I am shorter on one side.I am soo disgusted because Therpy has never helped in the past because it always pops right back out.I just wonder if fusing it would help.Well anyone with any more info or any suggestion on getting relief I would really love to hear from you...I live on pain meds and have no life.so any suggestion i will very glad to try.

Closed Thread