It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• legs swelling?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-15-2004, 09:34 PM   #1
    MzTeeinLB

MzTeeinLB HB User
    Question legs swelling?

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi all

In the past week or so my leg pain/numbness/tingling has escalated. At the same time my legs have begun to swell. I'm still going to work and I do have a desk job - I start out in the morning fine (well not swelling anyway) but by around 2:00 in the afternoon I can feel it start. Sitting for any extended periods of course is very difficult and I am probably just making things worse by continuing to work - but since I'm looking at so much time off for surgery - leaving now is not an option.

I have sciatica (sp) which has been acting up lately (gee what a pain in the (|) that is!) and I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this. I also have osteoarthritis - but that should only make the affected joints swell - if at all.

By the way - I finally scheduled my surgery - I'm goin for it Sept. 8

I feel like this is the way to go - I've got a few things working against me but I know that with a good attitude and a lot of tenacity - by next September I'm gonna be a new woman!!

Thanks for reading my ramble - I know I tend to on and on and on........

As always thanks for your ever so appreciated support and input.

All my best,
    Tina [/FONT][/COLOR]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2004, 09:43 PM   #2
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    Re: legs swelling?

Surgery should always be your last option. When they operate for sciatica that can lead to scar tissue which might press on the nerve which is an unending battle. What are they going to do for it? What operation?

Have you tried taking Neurontin? My friend swears by it. I tried it but it made me too spacey but she swears that it cures the pain from the scar tissue left from her surgery. She takes Percodan for break through pain.

While you are at your desk take time to do stretches. Get up and walk around every hour. I sit with one leg up all of the time to relieve the pressure from sitting. I switch between legs.

When you have a bad back there really is no good position.

I went to have my eyes checked the other day and the eye doc had the best chair. It was a dentist chair. It has kind of a round arm back. It is hard to explain but I am going to buy one. You can put the arm in front and lean on it, put it in back and sit up straight, or on the side to lean over without falling. Great chair.

You have to watch out for yourself as no one is going to do it for you. Take time away from your desk to work out your kinks.

My husband has a desk job. He makes sure that he is up and about at least fifteen minutes out of the hour. Works for him.

Ask your doc about the Neurontin. I have been taking Soma for the past few days for stiffness in my back (arthritis). It has been working but I understand that there is a ceiling effect.

After surgery there is no going back so be sure that it is what you really want.

Old 07-15-2004, 10:07 PM   #3
    MzTeeinLB

MzTeeinLB HB User
    Smile Re: legs swelling?

[COLOR=Blue]Injured Betty thanks

I know all about the end of the rope so to speak. I was originally diagnosed the spondy 23 years ago. Over the past few decades we added on DDD, arthritis, stenosis and the nerve stuff got added on just in the past 5 years.

My current surgeon is the 3rd surgeon that said I should have fusion. So I've been fighting this for a good long time!

I so appreciate your timely response and advise. Over the past month or so I have read and read and read not only on this board but on several other websites - to really understand what I'm getting myself into. It has come down to this.........quality of life. I'm 40 years old (look much younger ) and I know 75 year olds that are more active then I am. I have been terrified of the surgery for a long time - with the help of you and the other members of this board and OH SO MUCH STUDYING - I know what I have to do and I am no longer terrified.

I can't see into the future - but I know if action is not taken now - I won't get any better - and I won't get any younger!!!

I go see my pain mgmt doc next Thursday - I will ask about the neurontin - and again - thanks.

I feel like I have a whole new group of friends - and you all don't think I'm a complainer!! (I hope)

Smiles,
    Tina [/COLOR] [FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]

Old 07-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #4
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User

Have you tried mckenzie method physical therapy. I was ready to have surgery too, but the PT has helped me regain my life. I was going to try everything before surgery & luckily the pt worked. I wish you luck with your surgery if that is your last resort.

Old 07-16-2004, 05:44 AM   #5
    Lia813
    Veteran

Lia813 HB User

I have the leg swelling too along with calf pain and bottom of the foot pain and low back pain from spinal stenosis and pseudoclaudication and a bulging disk between L4 and L5. I 've had all this for well over a yr but the swelling is relatively new. It started May 31. My right leg is 3/4 of an inch larger than my left though the left is swollen too. I am currently under the care of my PCP , a Physiatrist and am in PT. None of the 3 know what the swelling is caused by. My PC ordered an ultra sound to be sure I did not have a blood clot which I did not. He says the swelling could be from internal varicose veins or from inflammation. None of the 3 seems too concerned about it so I guess I should not worry. Mine begins swelling within 30 minutes of arising in the morning and is still that way when I go to bed at nite. My main problem with it is that my foot swells as well and my shoes cut into my foot. I have been given Amitripyline 50 mg at nite by the PCP plus Ultram for break thru pain and the Physiatrist has added a low dose of neurontin 100 mgs 3 times per day and he ordered PT. I cannot say that I have noticed much difference with any of the meds, maybe a tad ,but the PT I do believe is the right road for me. I've been going once or twice per week for 3 weeks now plus have 10 exercises to do at home every day . I cannot tell you the difference it has made in my pain. Both the PCP and the Physiatrist had told me that unfortunately there may be no fix ffor my leg and foot pain but I am finally seeing a reduction in pain. I am overjoyed with the competency of this PT girl. For one ,she saw the minute I walked into the bldg that I had a left leg that was shorter. Upon examination she found that while standing that leg is one inch shorter AND is one inch longer while lying down. What a wierd thing, huh. Not one Dr has ever caught that before. She put a heel lift in my shoe that very first day. So I don't know what the swelling is, I still have it but I am finally seeing some light at the end of the tunnel with these legs and feet. I have many other medical problems too , osteoarthritis, Graves disease, osteoporosis, esophagitis, an autoimmune skin disorder, high BP and high chol. and the list goes on . But this leg and foot pain had taken top priority. Good luck to you on your surgery and I implore you to try PT first , if you haven't already. It has begun to change my life. Lia

Closed Thread