It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2003, 08:32 AM   #16
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Wow Di, you're right... there are so many similarities between the three of us! Etoile, I have not read Harry Potter, but I've heard nothing but good things about the books--even from adults! Maybe they will be next on my list once I finish White Oleander.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you two (or anyone else out there) if you've had any new numbness/tingling since the surgery. My surgery was 3 weeks and 2 days ago and as you know, I feel pretty good! But, over the last few days, I've noticed a new tingling down my right leg. My original sciatic pain that caused me to have the surgery was down my left leg, so I am wondering why now, all of a sudden, I have this new tingling on the other side. It's not that bad, but has been keeping me up a little bit over the last few nights. The pain in my left leg also seems a little more intense than it has since the surgery--not awful though, just more noticeable. I also noticed a littlte bit of pain in my back again, below my incision site... closer to my tailbone almost, which I never had before. I am hoping this is just a side effect of the surgery. I only notice the tingling when I'm laying down or sitting, not at all when I'm standing--it's weird. I go back to see my doctor in a little over a week, so I'll be sure to ask him about it then. I just wanted to see if either of you were experiencing the same thing--maybe it's normal, but I just don't understand why it would have all of a sudden started in the other leg!
    Just out of curiosity, which discs did you two have operated on? Mine was L4-L5 and my symptoms were mainly pain for about a year down the left leg... never any pain in the back! The pain increasingly got worse and worse to the point I couldn't stand for longer than about a minute without wanting to sit down. It took me about 9 months to go to the doctor and I was shocked to hear that surgery was my only option!! The doc. said there was no hope for the disc getting better on it's own or through PT since I had waited so long to go to the doctor and the nerve was probably already pretty damaged. I guess there's a lesson learned there--listen to your body and don't procrastinate in seeing your doctor! Sorry, I'm rambling a little now, but just wanted to see what both of your pre-op stories were!

I'm meeting some friends for lunch today and I'll be driving--I wonder if I remember how!!

[This message has been edited by ddp11 (edited 03-07-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2003, 10:40 AM   #17
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Smile

Hi ddp11! Hi Di!

I'm sorry you're having problems in the other leg, ddp11... and that it's keeping you up at night. As for me, well, I never had pre-op numbness, and the tingling I had down the right leg and toes only lasted about a month or two, which was back in September last fall. I have had feelings of just slight pain in my toes since surgery (doesn't last long at all and goes away when I stand up or change position lying down), and I told my neurosurgeon's nurse about that and she said it was perfectly normal, and that it would go away in the coming weeks to months.

If I were you I would call your neurosurgeon's office and have his or her nurse call you back to answer some of your questions. Better to get them answered now than wait another week. Also, ease up on the sitting, my friend! You're friends will be there to hang out with when you're done healing. You're not done healing yet - it takes at least 4 weeks. At least! I know you feel pretty good, but you need to give yourself more time. Get the Harry Potter books and read your next week away. (They're so good!)

What medications are you taking? Any?

I've been watching a lot of CNN and Fox News. Scary sh** this looming war is. I had thought this might happen during my recovery... well, it hasn't happened yet, but did you see Bush's speech? Doesn't sound like he has any other plan besides using force. Amazing.

Have fun at lunch today! Please take care of your back! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    Had right pain down butt/leg/toes for over 2 years.
    Tried chiro, PT, epi steriod injections, more PT... to no avail
    Had L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy on 2/18/03 - now pain free!!!
    L5-S1 ALIF 6/30/12 - back pain is GONE!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-07-2003, 01:01 PM   #18
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Thanks for the response etoile,
    I guess you are right...I should probably call my doctor's office and find out if what I'm feeling is normal or if it could be indicative of another problem (let's hope not!!). I'll see how it is over the weekend and maybe give them a call on Monday.
    To answer your question, I'm not on any medications at all. I actually haven't been on any through this whole process except a few days after surgery on Percocet. I took no pre-op medications to control pain or anything. I was going to try to take no pain medication at all after surgery (I guess I was trying to be a "tough girl"), but that didn't last long! When I first woke up in recovery, they asked me if I wanted meds. and I said no. I called them back over about 5 minutes later and took them up on the offer of morphine and that seemed to be the wonder-drug. I was feeling GREAT after that! Are you on any medications now?
    It sounds like you are pretty much pain-free now! That's wonderful. So many people I talked to before the surgery tried to talk me out of it and told me never to let anyone touch your spine. But, I'm happy with my decision--it seems like it was the right decision for so many people and I look forward to a few months down the road, being back to normal and completely pain-free! I'm not quite pain-free yet as I told you in my last post, but I think I'll be there eventually.
    I did watch Bush's speech last night--what a scary time our country is going through. It sounds like war is inevitable at this point, which scares me. I have been trying to avoid the news lately b/c it's all depressing news. I like to stay educated about what's going on, but it's getting to the point that it's too depressing to watch!
    I'm ashamed to admit that I like some of the reality TV shows... American Idol and Survivor are my favorites, so I look forward to those nights of television!
    Well, anyway, thanks again for writing back and the advice. Keep up the good work with your recovery.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:40 PM   #19
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Hi,

Just to answer you about what medications I take - I take a multivitamin, a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, and ibuprofen when I need it. No more pain narcotic medications! Before surgery I was taking Percocet here and there - like a half a tablet with a Tylenol, and if it was really bad (like after work) I'd take a whole one with a Tylenol. But no more.

I'm almost done with White Oleander - where are you?

------------------
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-07-2003, 03:45 PM   #20
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    I'm only on chapter 5! I have a lot of reading to do before I'm done. This week has actually been busy for me. I've had a lot of people visiting me and taking me out to run some errands, so I haven't had much time to read. But, I plan on getting back on track and hopefully finishing the book next week! I'll be anxious to read more so we can compare thoughts.

Old 03-08-2003, 05:23 PM   #21
    ruth ann
    (female)

ruth ann HB User
    Hello, ddp and etoile!
    The weather is so great here in AZ, I've been out and about and enjoying the sunshine. Sitting in my computer class Thurs. took a lot out of me (I had to kneel towards the end), also a 7 mile walk I did, so now I am forcing myself to stay at home and take it easy. I was getting big pain from overdoing it.

ddp - I wanted to tell you that Biff, a guy who had an MED (Microendoscopic Discectomy) around the same time as us, complained of exactly the same problem you described, new pain in the other leg. He was also worried, but I think he's OK now. Look for his posts - he's a great guy and can tell you more about it.

ddp - you asked about the level of surgery. Mine was for a bulging disc at L5 - S1.

I must admit, that I haven't been reading enough lately, and have also fallen under the spell of American Idol. I feel pretty stupid about watching it so avidly, but hey, we are recovering back surgery patients here, and we can indulge ourselves!

Nice to hear from you both - let's keep up our great recoveries! - di

Old 03-09-2003, 09:56 AM   #22
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi! I hope you all had a nice weekend. Di, I am JEALOUS of your weather. I live in PA and yesterday, we had a glimpse of spring--about 60 degrees and sunny, but it was just a tease! Today it's back down to about 25 degrees and snow -- yuk.
    I'm glad to hear you are also into American Idol -- I am slightly obsessed with that show! But hey, you're right... we're allowed since we're still in our "recovery" phase. What about you, Etoile -- do you watch it?
    Thanks for letting me know about Biff--I will look for his posts and send him a message. The new pain/tingling is making me nervous, but hopefully it's not an indication of anything gone wrong.
    When do you both go back to see your doctors? I'm going in another week and hoping for my release to go back to work at that time, but I'm not sure what he'll say since I spend A LOT of time driving with my job... we'll see!
    Oh yeah, I saw that White Oleander comes out on video on Tuesday, March 11th. The previews look good--it has Michelle Pfeiffer, Robin Wright Penn and Renee Zelwegger in it. I'm going to wait to finish the book first though until I see the movie!!

Old 03-09-2003, 02:49 PM   #23
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Talking

Hi!
    I'm also envious of your weather, Di! I can't wait until it's warm and sunny here in St. Paul so I can go on long 7 mile (holy cow) walks, too! This weekend it snowed a lot, and right now it's about 5 degrees! Yuck.

I had a decent weekend. Didn't do much - ha! Some friends came over last night and I drank for the first time since surgery - it made me a little bit too carefree with my back, but I'm not hurting at all today, so I think I did okay. I walked on the treadmill again today, felt great. I finished White Oleander yesterday - a good ending! Maybe I'll see the movie, but when I see movies after having read the book I tend to forget the details in the book that aren't portrayed in the movie - know what I mean? I also watched "Life as a House" - an incredibly sad movie. But so good! I've also been sleeping a lot - like a few days this past week I've slept 10-11 hours a night! Unreal! But I think it's what my body needs.

I haven't been watching American Idol, sorry guys! I've watched bits and pieces of it, but I'm not really into it. I've been watching a few Star Search episodes, though! I remember the original one when I was younger. I really like TLC with Trading Spaces and all those shows. I've been absorbed with CNN and Fox News, too. Can't wait to see what Tuesday brings. I think I'm going to start another book. I usually don't read novels very much, but I really like to - so this is my opportunity since I've got so much time on my hands.

I go back to see my doctor on March 24th, which will be 5 weeks post-op. I've read on another post that I'll probably be asked to bend over and do leg raises, which kind-of scares me. I haven't bent over at all yet - and I'm not supposed to, but I can tell that if I did it would hurt. Well, I'm only 2 weeks and 10 days post-op. At least another week before I should be healed. I'm supposed to be able to go back to work the first week of April - I'm a bit nervous. It's going to be hard to get back into the swing of things again, too. I'm thinking of asking for another 2 weeks off so I can get in a few sessions of "work conditioning program" with PT, and also do some upper body weight lifting to get back in shape again. I'm sure my doctor will think that that's reasonable. At least I hope so. We saved a decent amount of money in thinking ahead for the surgery, and I got my first short-term disability check yesterday - a lot more than I had anticipated, so we may not need to dip into what we saved. All the more reason to take more time off, right? My boss said that I should take all the time I need, too. She's great.

So far, though, I'm feeling really good. The past couple of days I've felt more loosened up like I can be more active and casual with my movements and not have any pain. The pain I have seems to be from the incision area, which is good (not so much the leg and toes) since I'm sure it just means that I'm not healed yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and my attitude positive. I've felt some minor twinges of pain in my right butt and toes, but really insignificant since pre-op, and since it's "normal" I'm hoping that it's just the nerve that needs time to readjust or whatever. The nerve was compressed for 2 years, so I'm sure it will be a while before that dissipates altogether. Again, I'm keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Take care - keep up the great recoveries!!! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

------------------

Old 03-10-2003, 06:36 AM   #24
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi there etoile! Hi Di!
    Etoile, I had a few drinks myself this weekend and I know what you mean about being a little carefree with your movements. The hardest thing for me is that we were standing outside all day b/c the weather was actually nice for once. Standing for long periods of time gets very uncomfortable, so I tried to move around a bit to stay comfortable.
    It sounds like you win the prize for having the worst weather, etoile. 5 degrees? YUK. I think we picked a good time to have surgery, don't you? I'd rather have it now while it's bad weather than when it's really nice outside!
    Etoile, I would definitely ask your doctor for more time off from work. If you don't feel like you're ready to go back, don't push it! It sounds like with your job, you have to lift a lot of weight and that is probably the easiest way to re-herniate a disc. You've come this far with your recovery--there's no reason to take a step backwards! That's great that you have an understanding boss. Mine has been the same way and I feel so fortunate. My case is not workman's comp., but my company has EXCELLENT short term disability benefits. I am actually getting paid in full while I am off, so I am one of the fortunate ones! I'm not quite sure if I'll be ready to go back to work next week at this time. I will be 4 1/2 weeks post-op at that time. Right now, I feel mentally ready, but not physically. I'll be interested to hear what the doctor says next Monday.
    Di, when are you going back to work? You've probably already mentioned that in another posts, but I've read so many posts that they are all beginning to blend together! This board is SO great though--etoile, I know what you mean about this board kind of helping to make your days go by just a little bit faster!
    Alright, it's time for my walk! Have a great day!
    I've rambled again--sorry! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/gabby.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2003, 08:53 PM   #25
    ruth ann
    (female)

ruth ann HB User
    Hi, Etoile and ddp!
    Wow, I'm feeling so great, I'm hardly at the computer posting here about my woes anymore! I go back to see my dr. on March 20. I got a call today from the radiology place to come in for new xrays, so I know that date must be getting close.
    I am having some periodic pain, but mostly I just can't wait to resume normal activities, especially swimming (I guess my doc told me not to swim to keep the surgery incision safe).
    White Oleander comes out on video here on March 11. I can't wait. I think I've checked out every single movie in the local Blockbuster, 'cause movies are the best way I know to keep me flat on my back, resting, and hopefully laughing a lot (I am convinced that laughter cures everything!). I don't think White Oleander will be funny - but it should be great.
    Take care, ladies! - Di

Old 03-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #26
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Di! Hi ddp11!

Di, I'm so excited for you that you're feeling so good - really I am! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif[/img] And you too, ddp11!

I also have no real complaints. These last few days I've really been able to tell that I've been improving more and more, just by feeling more like my old self again, and I'm excited that it's only been 3 weeks (today) since my surgery. So I'm really only half way through my recovery. So after this much time and feeling as good as I do - I can't wait to see how it is in another 3 weeks! I see my surgeon in 2 weeks. I even think that I'll be able to go back to work in the 6 week time period. I really love my job and am looking forward to getting back into it. I started my job (same career, but more challenging) last July, and so when I saw my surgeon for the first time in November, I told him that I wanted to wait until at least February or March so that I would have been on my own (out of orientation) for a full 6 months. I hope it won't be too hard getting back into it again!

I walked outside for the first time today (a real walk) instead of on the treadmill since it was FINALLY in the 30s and the ice was melted off the sidewalks. It felt great. I found myself smiling a bit because I'm walking with absolutely NO pain!!! I can kick my right foot forward without fear that it will be uncomfortable or painful. So I'm so glad. I really feel like I have a new lease on life. But it snowed again tonight... it's never ending, this Minnesota winter.

My only complaints are that I feel like I'm getting flabby (ha ha) because I can't really be totally working out (like anything with my upper body), and that I've got this incredible urge to crack my back! Yikes. A couple of times it popped - like it has before - and it felt nice. But it has been hard sometimes not to stretch in a way that would be a good twist and bend, although I've been able to resist.

I've been watching a lot of TV, I'm embarrassed to say. I just get sucked into it. Movies, too, but more TV. I tried to watch American Idol tonight, since I knew you guys were watching it - but I couldn't keep watching - I only saw the first 2 singers and I thought they both kind of sucked. I started another book, but I haven't gotten totally into it yet. Maybe I'll read more tomorrow. I sure am getting sick of lying down all the time and not being able to sit in a chair like a normal human being. I'm still not going to sit for 3 more weeks [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif[/img]

I'm glad to know you guys are doing well - we're so fortunate to have had such successful surgeries!

Take care - keep in touch! :bounce:

------------------
    MRI confirmed L5-S1 disc herniation
    Discogram confirmed L5-S1 disc tear
    Insurance denied IDET

Old 03-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #27
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi etoile, Hi Di!
    Wow, sounds like you're both doing great! Di, you sound like you're getting out a little more. I'm trying to do the same. I'm trying to get used to doing more during the day since I think I have to go back to work on Tuesday. I am actually going to a meeting for work tomorrow (I got a temp. release from the doc.) and I'm a little nervous. I'll be sitting ALL day, so I can't imagine it will be comfortable. We'll see...
    Etoile, glad you tried watching American Idol, but sorry you didn't like it!! I'm still obsessed--I love it!!
    Di, if you watch White Oleander, let us know how it is and how it compares to the book. I've really been slacking off with my reading lately, so I need to get back on track and finish the book.
    Well, that's all for now. I'm so glad to hear how great you both are doing.
    I'll let you know how my long day of "sitting" goes tomorrow!!

Old 03-13-2003, 01:35 AM   #28
    Traweaver

Traweaver HB User
    Hello Etoile, Di & DDP,

Well, I hope you three don't mind to add four to the party!! (I have met Etoile through another post. ) I have been reading your posts and have found them so encouraging. I think we are all very similar in our cases except you are all post-op and I am six days pre-op. Here is my story!! (I'll be brief hehe)

I am a 32 years old and live in Atlanta. Back in August, (right after we (my hubby and I moved) I started getting this awful pain in my butt, and then down my left leg. I have had back trouble throughout my twenties but nothing a heating pad and rest wouldn't fix. In October I was diagnosed with a herniation at L4-5 and was told I needed surgery. I didn't want to believe it so I tried, chiropratic care, massage, meds, steroid meds, injections, Vax-D table, and nothing worked. Finally I went the Emory Spine Center in early March for a second opinion. They took another MRI and said I have a massive L4-5 herniation and surgery is my only way out of pain. So, I am heading for surgery next week, March 19th.

I am sooo ready now. They have taken me off the anti-inflammatories due to the upcoming surgery and I can't believe the difference in my pain level. I teach first grade and am still going to work, up unitl the 18th. I feel best when I am up am moving, so I might as well. Plus, the kiddos make me feel good.

I am looking forward to bounce my recovery off all three of you over my six weeks off. I won't go back to work unitl April 30th.

Well, I am off to medicate myself and am staying positive. I know that is so important.

Talk to you all soon!
    Tra

Hemilectomy-Discectomy on 3/19~ Awoke Pain Free!!

Old 03-13-2003, 01:57 AM   #29
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Wink

Hi Tra! Welcome!
    I'm so excited for you about your upcoming surgery. Your story is a lot like mine in that I was always more comfortable up and moving around, which is why I also was able to work up until my surgery, too. And we're about the same age - I'm 30. Too young for this pain!

Let us know if you have any questions about anything! Are you prepared for what to expect after surgery? What exactly is your surgeon going to do? Laminectomy with microdiscectomy?

Take care! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

------------------
    MRI confirmed L5-S1 disc herniation
    Discogram confirmed L5-S1 disc tear
    Insurance denied IDET

Old 03-13-2003, 02:10 AM   #30
    Traweaver

Traweaver HB User
    Etoile,
    What are you doing up!!?? Shouldn't you be sleeping!? hehe I am having the same thing you had except to the left. The hemilaminectomy/discectomy.

I belive the difference between the hemilaminectomy and the laminectomy is that only a hole will be cut throught the lamnia bone in my procedure, where in a laminectomy the doctors remove the lamnia bone.

I'm really not sure what to except, but know that it will take some time to heal. If you have any advice on things to do, get, I should know, etc... before surgery please send the list my way!! I have a great husband who is eager to help me and I would like to have all the facts (good or bad)!!
    Thanks for your help.
    Tra
    Hemilectomy-Discectomy on 3/19~ Awoke Pain Free!!

Closed Thread