It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2003, 09:38 PM   #46
    Rosarita

Rosarita HB User
    Talking

Hello again, it's me.

ddp11 thanx for responding to my other thread to tell me what I was/wasn't doing wrong. I thought my responses went to cyber heaven but now I know to check for other pages. Didn't know that. Now I can really have fun! Thanx for your advice.

Etoile du nord, thank you for welcoming me. It's great to be able to type with others who understand and are able to laugh. Thanks for the advice.

My husband is trying to get the house post-op ready and I'm trying to learn patience. I'm very hyper. My sister gave me this computer so I could lean down and shut up.

It is difficult not being able to do anything. I tried to mop the floor a few weeks ago and that was not the best thing to do. We tend to think that nobody can do things as well as we can. Others may do things differently but it can still get done. My husband's way of doing things are so different...Oh my God! Thinking about these things make me nuts, especially since I know I won't be able to do things for quite a while. I need my nerve pills, where are the SMARTIES?

If I were rich, I would hire a maid to clean where I live, not for the kids. The kids are pigs and should be destroyed.

Tra, don't overdo getting ready. You need to rest before surgery too. We'll see what I'll be doing in 2 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours,5 minutes and 59 seconds. Just kidding.

Good night everyone,
    Rosarita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2003, 11:47 PM   #47
    Traweaver

Traweaver HB User
    Wow! We really do have a party!

We will proabably make it to three or four pages by the time Rosarita is done with her surgery!! hehe

As you can see it is 2:30 in the morning and I am up for my dose of pain medicine. I wish it was the percocet keeping me up, but as you all know too well, it is that awful sharp pain to the butt cheek that wakes me when I roll over and shoots down the leg. AS I keep moving to get comfortable the pain gets worse, so I finally get up. I am walking it out and taking a pill. My husband thinks I almost got ill because I took it on an empty stomach. Since I am going under the 4-6 hour period between doses (I don't take it during the day when I am up an about)and don't have food in my stomach, it is upseting my stomach. I am not that big of a person either 5'2 - 120, so it is probably a bit much for the tummy.

So here I am eating bread and taking a percocet. I will be able to go to bed soon. I think it was Etoile who said they had their keyboard on a suitcase so they could stand and type... I have done something similar. What a great idea and will be a godsend after next week!

Well, I told the kiddies about the surgery. They have been very well informed about "Mrs. Weaver's" bad back. One student's mommy has the same thing. (Lucky her...shots worked!) I have been dealing with this since August, the whole school year, so anytime I miss school it has been for a doctor appt. to fix things! They also see the brace I wear from time to time. It was almost a weepy session, but we handled it. We sat in a circle and talked of times we (or parents) had been in the hospital and had to miss work or school. I have a boy with Cerebral Palsy in my class so he was able to share his experience with "going to sleep." I will miss them "OODLES" as I say, and have given them my address to write.

The parents are super supportive and have offered to bring me and my husband dinner once a week. We have no children, but they want to run errands or anything they can to help. WOW...I was really touched. sniff, sniff!

I will talk to you all soon! I need to get a little notepad to keep by the desk so I can keep, etoile, ddpi, Di, Rosarita and Hawk straight. How about a quick little bio like this to help?? hehe

Tra
    Married- no children
    Female - 32
    First Grade Teacher
    Atlanta, GA
    Pre-Op Hemilectomy/discectomy L4-5- Surgery -3/19

Have a great day everyone!
    Tra
    Hemilectomy-Discectomy on 3/19~ Awoke Pain Free!!

Old 03-15-2003, 12:25 AM   #48
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Hi everyone - Tra, you and I seem to be on the same sleeping schedule. It's 2:30 here and I, once again, can't sleep. This is driving me nuts! I can't figure it out. My legs just feel restless and I need to get out of bed! No, it's not "restless leg syndrome" but I hope this doesn't keep up. I think being in bed for a big part of the day doesn't help. Grrr. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/tired.gif[/img]
    Well, I'm off to watch some late night TV. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/yawn.gif[/img]
    L5-S1 ALIF 6/30/12 - back pain is GONE!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-15-2003, 05:42 AM   #49
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Good morning everyone!
    I'm sorry to hear you guys are having so much trouble sleeping! I usually wake up anywhere between 5-10 times per night when I roll over, but usually fall right back to sleep.
    Tra, I'm glad to hear you told your kids--it sounds like the kids and their parents were both very supportive--you must be a great teacher!! That is so nice of the parents to offer to help you out. I don't know about you etoile and di, but I feel like my recovery period has really flown by. Even though I've been a bit bored here and there, it really feels like not too long ago I was just getting things wrapped up at work and going in for my surgery.
    I'm getting a little bit anxious for my doctor's appointment on Monday. It will be interesting to hear how I'm progressing and if everything that I am feeling is "normal." To tell you the truth, I thought I would be back to my old self and completely pain-free after about 2 or 3 weeks following the surgery! Everyone told me that wouldn't be the case and boy were they right!! I'll fill you all in to let you know what the doctor says so you guys can have an idea of what to expect during your follow-up appointments.
    Well, everyone have a GREAT weekend--enjoy the sunshine! (hopefully the sun is shining where you all are too!!) [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif[/img]
    Tra, here is my "info"

ddp11 - Kristen
    Single
    Female - 23 years old
    Account Executive
    Pittsburgh, PA
    4 weeks post-op laminectomy/discectomy @ L4-L5
    Never any back pain before surgery--just leg/butt pain

I keep telling people this whole ordeal has really been a "pain in the butt," both literally and figuratively!!

Old 03-15-2003, 10:36 AM   #50
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Wink

Good morning!
    Well, I finally got back to sleep and slept in until 10:30!
    Ddp11, I'm excited to hear how your appointment goes. I have it on my calendar! Yours, too, Di!

Now that I'm half-way through my recovery I think it's going to go a lot faster. My leg/butt/toe pain is still totally gone, but now my back at the surgery area feels like it's creaky and it's kind-of freaking me out. Does anyone else have that feeling?Hopefully I don't have anything to worry about. And my incision still itches like crazy, which is normal, I'm sure.

Ddp11, has the sitting improved as far as comfort, or is it still as bad as it was a couple weeks ago?

Here's my info:
    etoile du nord - Carol
    Married, no children
    Age 30
    From St. Paul, MN
    I shouldn't disclose my profession due to the nature of this board - sorry!
    Injured back at work, got better, and then injured it while moving into our house in Feb. 2001 -
    L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy 2/18/03

It's sunny and beautiful here - I'm off for a walk. Take care everyone [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

Here's my "signature" as well:

------------------
    Had right pain down butt/leg/toes for over 2 years.
    MRI confirmed L5-S1 disc herniation
    Discogram confirmed L5-S1 disc tear
    Tried chiro, PT, epi steriod injections, more PT... to no avail
    Insurance denied IDET
    Had L5-S1 hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy on 2/18/03 - now pain free!!!
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-15-2003, 02:51 PM   #51
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Cool

Hey again everyone!
    What a great day outside--it's about time!
    Etoile, you mentioned your back has a "creaky" feeling. I'm not quite sure if I feel "creaky," but I do feel kind of a tightness in my back that was never there before. I've been attributing this to the incision healing, but I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Also, to answer your question about sitting, it is MUCH more comfortable than it was a few weeks ago. But, if I sit for too long (longer than about 20 minutes at a time), I get really uncomfortable and restless. I still feel like I need to sit with really good posture, which is probably a good thing--maybe this whole ordeal will improve my posture a bit!
    When I go to my doctor on Monday, I'm thinking of taking a list of questions so I don't forget to ask him anything. My uncle is a physician and he suggested doing this--I figure it's not a bad idea!! I basically want to know what my limitations are as far as running, lifting, bending, etc. My main objective is to find out if everything I'm feeling is normal. I still have a lot of pain down my left leg--to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure it's much better than before surgery. I wonder if I should be concerned about this??? [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] I'm hoping it's just the nerve taking time to heal, but since I have this new tingling in my other leg that I told you about before, I'm hoping it's not an indication that something new happenened. I'm probably just being paranoid though. Do you guys have any other suggestions of things to ask the doc? I'll probably mention the ugly bump on my back, although that has gone down quite a bit, but is still noticeably there.
    Any other suggestions are welcome!!

That's all for now--hope you all had a great day! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]

[This message has been edited by ddp11 (edited 03-15-2003).]

Old 03-16-2003, 11:48 AM   #52
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Hey there -
    The creaky feeling I'm talking about just feels like I need to crack it. I have, inadvertently, cracked it when I have turned in bed with a little too much twist - but it was great! No harm done as far as I can tell.

Ddp11, I can't believe that your pain is about the same as pre-op??? I had thought that it had gotten a lot better. Had you ever called your doctor's nurse about the pain you were feeling in your other leg? I remember you were thinking of putting a call in rather than waiting for tomorrow's appointment. It's a great idea to make a list for your doctor - that way you don't go home and think, 'oh! I wanted to ask him about that.' I make lists for questions, too. If your doctor says you can start running again, I would even wait a few months longer, just to be safe. Running is really bad for your back - all my doctors have told me that. So even though I LOVE to run, I won't do it anymore because it's not worth it to me. How big is the bump on your back?

Do any of you do yoga? I never have but I'm going to start as soon as I'm all healed up. My sister swears by it - she recommended Rodney Yee's yoga - I ordered his "Yoga for Backcare" on the internet today. I should have started yoga exercises years ago.

Almost all of the snow has melted - all in the last 3 days. Amazing - there was a LOT of snow on the ground! Time to pick a good CD and go for a long walk. [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img]

Hope everyone's having a good day!

------------------
    Insurance denied IDET

Old 03-16-2003, 07:31 PM   #53
    Traweaver

Traweaver HB User
    Hi Girls!
    I had a relaxing weekend. Sleeping 3 hours at a time here and there. Nothing I can do when working. I am eager to go to school and wrap things up over the next two days. The big day draws near, only 3 more days!!! I am excited.

Kristen, I didn't like hearing you are feeling pain like pre-op and even on the other side!! I will be thinking about you as you go to the doctor tomorrow. Did you enjoy the super weather you had this weekend??

Carol - I was never a back cracker, but ALWAYS crack my neck. I wonder if I should stop that during recovery too?? Nahhhh!! hehe I also have a rather personal question....how long will it be before me and my hubby can be intimate??

Hope you guys don't mind me using names instead of screen names!! I am so bad with the other ones.

Have a great night!
    Tra

Old 03-16-2003, 08:50 PM   #54
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Cool

Hi!
    Welcome, recov. I'm sorry to hear about your leg and the numbness and weakness you're having. I think you will probably get better as time goes on - already you've improved, right? I can imagine how frustrated you must be. Did you get in an accident? Were you completely by yourself at home during your recovery? That must have been really hard. I don't know what I would've done without my husband's help.

Hi Tra!
    3 more days, eh? I hope they go by fast for you. Wow, so you're really working the day up to the surgery date, eh? I hope you get some decent sleep the night before. Get some Benadryl, girlfriend! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] To answer your question - my husband and I waited a full 3 weeks to before we were intimate again. Not because it was 3 weeks, but that was when I felt comfortable enough and safe enough. Not a lot of movement, mind you, but hey.

Di - how are you doing? I hope you're not writing in because you're feeling great and out doing other things besides hanging around the computer!

Ddp11 - Good luck with your follow-up appointment. Let me (us) know how it went.

------------------
    Insurance denied IDET

Old 03-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #55
    mumchkinn

mumchkinn HB User
    [quote]Originally posted by etoile du nord:
    [b]Hi everyone!

I'm new to this site and so far, by reading the messages, I can tell I'll fit right in - everyone seems so helpful, laid back, and full of great information!

Well, I've had a bad back for over 2 years - a torn and herniated disc at L5-S1, confirmed by MRI and discogram. I first hurt it at work (which got totally better) and then really wrecked it when I moved into my house by lifting everything in site, not thinking about my body mechanics. I had tried everything to make it get better - lots of physical therapy, epidural steroid injections, pain meds, Vioxx - but nothing gave me any long term relief. I still had DAILY pain down my right butt, leg and into my toes. The toe pain was the worst of it! I never thought toes could give someone so much pain.

I had it in my mind that there would be NO WAY I'd ever let a surgeon touch my back. I was advised to have the IDET done, but my insurance denied it (as well as the appeal). So I waited it out for another year or more, when I finally decided to go for the surgery: hemilaminectomy with microdiscectomy, and I had it done 2/18/03.

Since I came out of the OR my butt/leg/toe pain has been completely gone! I was up walking the day of surgery around the hospital, and I've been getting to my community center to walk on the treadmill everyday. I didn't start walking on the treadmill until 5 or 6 days post-op. Today is post-op day 13, and I've been so excited that one of these days...this summmer:bounce:...I'll be able to get back to all the activities that I love like hiking, biking, raquetteball, basketball - and sitting!

The only catch is the rehab period which is critical. I haven't sat down since surgery and don't plan to for the full 6 weeks of recovery. And of course no bending at the waist, twisting, lifting, anything... My uncle had this surgery back in 1983 and didn't sit for 6 weeks - never has had a problem since. 20 years! And he's an active guy. It's been hard not to be able to do anything for myself, but it's so worth it to just let the house go - to let other people take care of things for this time, because I know that if I take care of myself now, I'll be set.

Have those of you out there who've had this surgery - is it really true that you are back to "normal" and can be really active again? Sometimes I feel like it'll never feel normal, but it's only been 2 weeks.

Thanks![/b][/quote]

I am new to this site also ...I had the same surgery
    I had mine 10/12/99 and I am still in pain it is worse than before I had it.

Old 03-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #56
    Traweaver

Traweaver HB User
    Good night everyone!

Et..I DO need to get Benadryl. JJEEZZ What the heck am I waiting for?? LOL I guess somewhere in the back of my mind, I just have gotten to know this pain and with all the things I've tried for sleep (short of a frying pan to the head) I wonder how an over the counter drug could help. But I sware...my hubby is getting it today. Even if it doen't work pre-op, it will be a help post-op.
    I am sure the doctors will tell me to wait to be intimate until when I feel okay. I figured we both are around the same age, and have no major demands during recovery (i.e. kids!!)...we may be similar.

Mumchkin... So sorry to hear you are not well.
    1999...that was 4 years ago. Did you get any relief from your surgery? Did you reherniate your disc...they do say there is a chance of that happening. Do the doctors want to operate again? Please tell us more.

Off to take a some meds then hopefully more sleep.
    Tra

Old 03-17-2003, 08:13 AM   #57
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi everyone! Well, I'm back from the doctor now. The appt. went well--the doctor said I'm progressing as normal, which is great news--I am glad to hear my new pain isn't a re-herniation or anything like that! I mentioned the pain in my left leg and told him it was similar to before surgery and he said that is most likely normal and it will just take time for the nerve to heal. I also mentioned the tingling down my right leg and he said sometimes that happens after surgery and that, too, will take time to heal. He gave me a prescription for Naprosyn, which is an anti-inflammatory--he said this should help some of the pain. He looked at my back and said the incision looks good and the bump is normal--that is just swelling around the incision site and it could take months for that to go away. That bump is very sensitive to touch--are yours like that?? It almost feels like a bruise, which he said is normal. Basically, all he did was have me bend forward a bit and asked what kind of pain I feel when I do that and then had me bend back a bit. Other than that, he didn't really do any other tests.
    So, this whole time I was thinking the appointment was going great and then we talked about going back to work. This whole time, I've been planning on going back tomorrow and get this--he said no work for 4 MORE WEEKS!!! I was shocked... still am shocked. I am beginning physical therapy today--3 times a week for the next 4 weeks. I guess the reason he doesn't want me working for that long is because of the amount of driving I do and said driving is REALLY hard on your back. I really can't believe it.
    I have a really understanding boss and my short-term disability benefits are WONDERFUL, so that helps out. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry at this point--I guess it's smart to not rush back into things and do more damage.
    I'm really looking forward to physical therapy--I'll be interested to see what kind of exercises they make me do. I was lucky enough to get my first appt. for this afternoon, so I'll be sure to post after that to let you all know how it went.
    Well, I thought my "life of leisure" was coming to an end, but I guess it will continue for another few weeks.
    Oh, also, WELCOME to the board "recov" and "mumchkinn!!"
    Tra, two more days--I bet you're getting anxious!
    Hawks--not sure if you're still checking this board, but if so, how did your appointment go? Was it similar to mine? What did your doctor say about work?

Have a good day everyone!

[This message has been edited by ddp11 (edited 03-17-2003).]

Old 03-17-2003, 10:30 AM   #58
    Rosarita

Rosarita HB User
    Good morning everyone! I'm in California so it's still morning here.

Welcome Recov and Mumchin. I'm still a newcomer but I've found this site to be so helpful. I thought I was alone in all of this and found that I'm not. Whenever you're able to, just read other pages, not just the current ones. Some of my other questions have been answered already.

Recov, we're basically in the same boat. I had trouble getting out of bed December 23. I was really freaking out because we have kids and I couldn't do anything to finish the holiday preparations. My husband cooked dinner...he used turkey brother to make the glaze for the ham. Thank God it turned out well. I too thought I had osteoarthritis of the butt but found out different. My surgery is scheduled for 4/9.

ddp11, please take your time about going back to work. My brother had a job that required a lot of driving when he hurt his back. W/C forced him back to work. Although he gradually went back to full-time hours he re-injured himself. He had to roll out of his private car to get in and out of it because of the pain. He had to be re-trained for a new career, took a long time! Also, how did pt go? What did they have you do. I'll be checking back in with you later this evening.

Traweaver, my prayers are with you. I wanted to type to you today to wish you well. I know everything will be just fine. I can share your concern about intimate relations with your husband. My legs are feeling extremely heavy. I can't cross my legs w/o lifting them, etc. My husband is a big man, he weighs over 300 pounds, so you know I'm scared to death even now. He's my bubbling brown sugar. We've discussed this issue several times. Have you talked to your hubby about this? I'm sure he'll understand your concerns.

Typed out for now. Will be checking back in.

Rosarita

Old 03-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #59
    nordon
    (female)

nordon HB User
    Hi there!
    Wow, ddp11, no work for another 4 weeks? Well, as long as you have an understanding boss and good short term benefits, why not, right?. How much are you sitting now? If I were you, I'd try to avoid sitting altogether. I know I've said that over and over but I really think it's important. I had some friends come over Saturday night and we had a few beers and played a game of Scrabble - and I laid sideways on the couch to play instead of sitting. I just won't do it. Two more weeks! That will be my 6 week mark and hopefully I'll be able to get back to work. I've been going stir-crazy these last several days . I can't wait to get out and about more. My mom's taking me shopping on Saturday, which will be fun. This morning, however, I DID sit on the edge of my bed - just briefly - to put on my socks, and I didn't have any pain with that - I sat and bent over a little with no pain! Small accomplishment, but big improvement.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your PT.

------------------
    Insurance denied IDET

Old 03-17-2003, 02:12 PM   #60
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi everyone! Well, I'm back from PT. It went well and I'm looking forward to great results from it! The therapist was so helpful and took his time to really explain to me how discs work, why they herniate, why certain movements put more pressure on discs, etc. Most of my session was just talking about my situation and I could tell the therapist was really trying to understand my EXACT situation and history in order to maximize the results and benefits I will get from the PT. He gave me just 3 small, very easy exercises to do... two lying on my back and one lying on my stomach. He said he doesn't want to make me bend at all yet--I guess it's too early for that and too much of a risk for re-herniation, so he doesn't want to force any unnecessary exercises on me. I have to do these exercises at home once or twice a day (they will only take about 15 minutes) and I am also going in for rehab 3 times a week. I'm really excited about it and hope this is the trick to get rid of this nagging pain!! I'm just anxious to get my life back to normal. I've been pretty positive through this whole ordeal, but for some reason, I got really upset about everything today. Maybe it's just b/c the doctor isn't letting me go back to work--I think I'm just a little stressed.
    Rosarita, thanks for including that story about your relative. That made me realize that NOT working is the RIGHT choice for me right now. I guess I never thought about how hard driving can be on your back, but that certainly seems to be the case.
    Etoile, I think I'm going try to limit sitting more than I have been. I think I've been doing too much sitting. My computer is at a desk, so everytime I'm using it, I'm sitting. I may try to prop it up so I can stand and type rather than sit b/c I'm like you--I can't STAND not being able to check my email and surf the 'net!! Plus, this board has really helped me get through this whole ordeal and all of your support/encouragement has done wonders for me. I don't know how you've gone 4 weeks without sitting at all. I sit for meals, I've been driving (just short distances), I sit at my computer, I sit on the couch here and there---wow, I guess I do sit A LOT--probably TOO MUCH.
    Well, I think I'll go do my exercises! I haven't tried them yet aside from doing one rep. of each exercise at the rehab. place.
    I hope you are all doing well!
    Have a nice evening!

[This message has been edited by ddp11 (edited 03-17-2003).]

Closed Thread