It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5/S1 degenerative disk questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-07-2003, 12:45 PM   #1
    blondie65

blondie65 HB User
    Post L5/S1 degenerative disk questions

i have a degenerative disk at L5/S1 for 2 years. after doing an MRI and flex and extension xrays it shows that there is no movement at all in the last vertibrate, the disk is bulging and i'm having muscle spasms in my back along w alot of inflamation. i'm looking for anyone who has had the same problem. i'm currently on voltaren (anti inflamatory) and doing daily workouts to strengthen my back and abs... has anyone else been in this position? i'm tired of the pain but not a big fan of surgery...

any input from someone who has dealt with the same thing would be great! thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 03:02 PM   #2
    mishka1111

mishka1111 HB User
    Boy, u almost sound like me!!! I was doing fine with chiropractor for the last 13 years, until Mon am when I was just opening the other side of my car door from the outside & I was using proper body alignment. U know that squating & neutral position & when I tried to get up, it was one of the weirdest sensation that I ever had. I went to the chiro & didn't get much relief went to the Er that day & the narcotics were of no help.
    Right now I am doing chiro, accupunture & massage, ice & heat & I will see how that goes.
    I used to be able to touch my toes & right now I can't. Pretty sad!
    Take care & let me know how it goes.

Old 08-10-2003, 06:45 AM   #3
    tool
    Inactive

tool HB User
    I think most of us here have been through what your describing and I guess it's all a matter of just how badly you think it interferes with your day to day living. If the anti-inflamatory doesn't control the pain then ask doc to change it and give another one a try.
    The spasms can be controlled with antispasmodics such as Baclofen (Clofen) or Diazepam (Antenex) but they are highly addictive and can only be used short term.
    Maybe it's time to reconsider surgery... there have been some great outcomes for some people. These forums tend to be a little unbalanced because they are able to get on with their lives but most of us here are still in search of answers.
    I hope you go back and discuss it with your doc... dont put up with it, sometimes it is the wrong thing to do.

Cheers - tool

Closed Thread