It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Good and bad ESI outcomes wanted

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-08-2003, 07:52 AM   #1
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    Post Good and bad ESI outcomes wanted

Hey there everyone; I was wanting to here from people who have had ESI done good or bad and what they thought of them. I personally have had my first one 8 days ago and no change in the pain. I have heard some people say that it can take until the 2nd time for it to work and wondered what all of your experiences are. Thanks Mo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 05:27 PM   #2
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Thumbs down

Hi Mo,
    I had three ESI's in the lumbar area. They all caused more pain for me. After each one I was in bed for three days. I never got the slightest bit of relief of pain. I had them done in my neuro surgeon's office however some people have them done in the hospital. The ESI's actually made my back worse. I guess it depends on the person and the problem. I also had a cervical epidural and that one has to be done in the hospital. Only caused me more pain for about three days again. Finally I told pain management no more for me. I have also heard great success stories on the ESI. Sorry my post was negative. Just remember that an ESI is not a cure but just temporary pain relief. I have even heard people refer to them as a bandaid.

------------------
    Lumbar MRI 10/02
    Lumbar Lordosis
    L5-S1 disc herniation with moderate thecal sac deformity.
    L4-5 disc desiccation with bulge which results in mild thecal sac deformity and mild bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    L2-3 disc desiccation with Schmorlís nodule of L3.
    Lumbar Epidural 1/30/03
    Lumbar Epidural 2/12/03
    Lumbar Epidural 2/26/03
    Lumbar Discogram 5/23/03
    Lumbar CatScan 5/23/03
    Fusion & Infuse on L4,L5,S1 6/29/03
    Cervical MRI 10/02
    Loss of cervical lordosis with reversal of the curvature.
    C4-5 and C6-7 disc bulges resulting in flattening of the ventral margin of the cord.
    C5-6 there is a left foraminal herniation which results in moderate foraminal stenosis In addition, there is flattening of the ventral margin of the cord due to bulging disc.
    Cervical Epidural 5/19/03

Old 08-09-2003, 07:21 AM   #3
    mokita
    Inactive

mokita HB User
    Hi Mo!

I've had 4 injections thus far - and am going for the 5th on Tuesday, 8/12.

Here's my take on them.

1st 2 were Right Transforaminal. I was more sore after 1st one than 2nd. Neither helped at all.

3rd was lumbosacral epidural. That numbed my tailbone for about 2 days. Then, return to pain.

4th was a Caudal Epidural Injection - ordered bcuz xray showed displaced coccyx. This has Definitely helped me. I am able to sit for longer periods of time. On Tuesday, I will have the same thing.

I just wish I'd questioned the thinking about having the 2nd one done. It was exactly the same as the first one which Didn't work. They should have tried something different, in my opinion. All they did was waste time, money and pumped more steroid in me for no good reason.

If I were you, I'd ask about the 2nd one. Why would you want another procedure done if the first didn't help at all? I thought that I'd read if the first one helps a little....your chances for the 2nd one helping increases. But, if the 1st doesn't help at all...stands to reason in my mind that the 2nd won't do any good either. Just ask. Can't hurt, right? Maybe they'll move the place and you'll see some improvement!

Good luck! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love1.gif[/img]

Karen

------------------
    9/22/00 24 hour labor, baby posterior, left tailbone killing me
    12/00 MRI -normal-but pain still-began taking vicodin
    2/8/02 - 2nd baby born - Csection-healthy girl
    2000-11/02 various PT + pain meds
    11/02 Referred to Neuro
    3/03 NEW MRI - slight bulge L3-L4, DDD, neural foramen,Superior aspect S1 and L5 Nerve root involvement-Neuro Refers to PM for ESI's
    (2 Rt Transforaminal,1 lumbosacral,3rd one numbed tailbone little
    5/9 - Discogram - shows Tear L4 w/ significant leak onto nerves, DDD
    Performing doc oversedated, False Negative
    7/8- Dept Head ClCl consult
    7/28 - ClevelClinic for Facet Injection, changed to Caudal Epidural after seeing xray of displaced coccyx;also,coccygeal manipulation
    8/12 - sched for 2nd Caudal & manipulation

Old 08-09-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Here's my 2 cents... could hardly walk when I had the first esi, raging pain from left butt down to toes. Felt NO relief after 1st one, and it was quite painful. Really scared to go back but the doc that did it promised me the 2nd one would be a lot easier because I had a lot of inflammation which makes it harder. Went back 2 weeks later, shot was a breeze and I felt maybe 30% better. The pain had subsided some and wasn't nearly as severe. Went back in 1 month for the 3rd. It too was very easy, and I got another 30-40% relief. The shooting pains behind the leg almost went away. All in all, with the 3 shots, I was probably 70% better. I am a fan of esi's. If I hadn't had nerve damage, I would have probably been pain free. Also, after the 3rd one, my pain leveled off, and stayed there for a year. It never got worse. I just had the surgery because it was crunch time. After a year, chance of nerve damage being permanent jumps really high. Glad I had the surgery too, even though I still have the same darn nerve pain. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 08-10-2003, 09:08 AM   #5
    Creeky

Creeky HB User
    Hi Mo

I have had several kinds of steroid injections. My first ESI gave me some relief, but the second and third one did nothing! The relief that I did get from the first injection, didn't last very long, but atleast it did help some.

I also had a Transforamital injection, which this injection, did absolutley nothing!

The last injection that I had was, an Intra-Discal injection. This is the injection that took away all of my leg, hip and groin pain. The only bad thing about the injection was, it didn't take away my back pain which to me wasn't as bad as the nerve pain. I got so much relief from this injection, that I cancelled my surgery!

I decided that I will wait for the injection to wear off, if it does, then I will get another Intra-Discal injection. If that doesn't work, then I will have the Nucleoplasty done.

This injection took about 2 weeks for it to work, but it was well worth the wait!

Take Care,
    ~Creeky
    ~July 2002: EMG
    ~March 2003: Discogram
    ~April 2003: Transforamital Injection
    ~May 2003: Intra-Discal Injection
    ~May 2003: Second opinion Doctor said only ADR is my only option.
    ~May 2003: Postponed Nucleoplasty.
    ~June 2003: Went to Doctor for severe Depression.
    ~June 2003 - Present: Taking one day at a time. Learning to adapt to a new way of life.

Old 08-10-2003, 08:17 PM   #6
    Johnny13ravo
    Inactive

Johnny13ravo HB User
    I had the epidural injections, 3 of them, after the first one the tingling in my legs was really bad. It helped a little with the pain but it isn't a cure.

------------------[list=a] [*] 27 years old computer programmer[*] April 1996 - Bulging L4/L5 disk from car accident.[*] October 2002 - Low back pain and pain in left leg.[*] October 2002 - See chiropractor with minimal relief.[*] November 2002 - MRI shows L4/L5 moderate disk herniation (left and center)[*] January 2003 - Try PT for a couple of weeks some relief until chiropractor visit.[*] February 2003 - Chiropractor does traction, resulting in first instance of numbness in foot.[*] Late February 2003 and still going - New Physical Therapist, not much relief yet...[*] March 2003 - Very light pain in right leg in addition to left, EMG suggests nerve damage/irritaion in both legs.[*] March 2003 - Second MRI shows L4/L5 moderate disk herniation (left and center), slightly larger[*] April 3, 2003 - Epidural Injection, slight pain relief, more tingling in left leg and right.[*] April 17, 2003 - Going for second epidural injection.[*] April 22,2003 - Feeling some relief, started doing exersices from the McKenzie book.[*] May 1, 2003 - Third epidural injection[*] May 7, 2003 - Still in pain, less numbness and tingling[*] June 21, 2003 - Fell in the house, ten times worse.[*] July 14, 2003 - Had laminectomy / micro-discectomy, decompression of nerves on both sides all done from the left side.[*] July 23, 2003 - Lots of burning in both legs.
    August 8, 2003 - Still feel like crap, PT makes me feel worse.[/list=a]

Old 08-11-2003, 09:30 PM   #7
    keg1234
    (male)

keg1234 HB User
    Thumbs up

Hi Mo,
    I've had 5 ESIís so far with some relief.
    The first three were done in my doctorís office, very easy shots, but with no relief at all.

The next one was done in a PM clinic under x-ray and it HURT!!!! It also gave me no relief. The second shot the PM doctor gave me an IV with a sedative in it and the shot was a breeze. I also got about 10-15 % relief from it so I'm looking forward to the next shot on Friday.

I hope I get more relief from the next one, as I'm very tired of being on strong narcotics and still being in pain from DDD, a bulging disc and some arthritis.
    Well, best of luck to you!
    Kent

Old 08-12-2003, 08:31 AM   #8
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    Thanks everyone for your replys! I am sceduled for a 2nd one on the 20th but am seriously reconsidering. The first one was done under xray so he could pinpoint exactly where to put it but afterwards he said he didn't see much on the xray. Ok well then why have I been in pain for 2 years? Am I right to assume that x rays don't show everything? Including nerves being pinched? Thanks again for everyones imput. Take care.. Mo

Old 08-12-2003, 09:52 AM   #9
    SydneyZ

SydneyZ HB User
    I just finished my series of 3 ESIs yesterday, and honestly, they were not as bad as I thought they
    would be in terms of pain. The 1st one was some-
    what uncomfortable, but the last 2 weren't bad at all - no worse than getting a shot of novacaine at the dentist. The side effects were a little annoying
    (increased appetite, irritability, numb throat & tongue, etc.) but the pain has been cut down a little so that's a positive sign. I know these don't work for everyone, but I think it's worth a try.

Syd

Old 08-12-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
    Tiddgys

Tiddgys HB User
    hello Mo..

i had a fusion nearly two yrs ago which as not worked hence me being here..

I had many Injections before my surgery and they have tried different ones since, with some i got nothing at all, with others all i got was increased pain..

Hope you have better luck poppet..

Love tiddgys xx
    No better after fusion.
    2 Discograms
    Loss of bladder control (OK NOW )
    Lots of physio..
    2 MRI'S
    Water Theraphy..
    1 Bone scan
    1 Cat Scan
    Loads of ESI'S
    lots of Mediacation and i'm allergic to most of them..
    Now Under P/M CONSUTANT HAVE BEEN FOR THE PASS SIX MONTHS..
    Need Friends and Comfort, with the odd laugh..

Old 08-12-2003, 03:59 PM   #11
    BackWoes Lisa

BackWoes Lisa HB User
    Cool

hi

I had an ESI on the 24th of July at 9 am. By midnight I hit the roof with pain levels in the 8's. THey lasted until Tuesday the 29th. I called my dr's and was told to double up on my pain meds for a few days. I had an appointment on the 1st my one dr told me no more injections. My appointment on the 7th with another dr said also no more injections for me.

I used to have pain levels that varied from a 4 to a 7 or 8. Now my pain level is no less than a 6, and stays there most of the time. THis is not the improvement they were looking for.

I am having more trouble sitting again and because of that I ain't been around here as much

Some people the injections work just fine. I do believe its a case by case basis. I knew it was a trial and chances were slim for them to work for me...

good luck

L

Old 08-13-2003, 08:33 AM   #12
    mikea

mikea HB User
    Just back from my ESI. It was a breeze, but too early to tell if it will be effective.

Took about 2 hours, the pain of the procedure was very little. My biggest complaint is the cold room. I had to make myself stop shivering when they inserted the needle.

I'm scheduled for another one in 6 weeks.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
    mikea

mikea HB User
    48 hours after my first ESI. Pain has decreased by 25%. The doc said it might take up to 7 days, so I'm still hoping it will get even better.

Old 08-15-2003, 10:18 AM   #14
    Mo7609
    (female)

Mo7609 HB User
    Mikea thats great that you are getting some relief! I wish that I could say the same. I have my next one scheduled for the 20th so will see how it goes. Take care and hopefully you will get some more relief within a few days. Mo

Old 08-15-2003, 07:55 PM   #15
    mikea

mikea HB User
    Hi Mo,
    Just some more info to compare notes:

Mine was a caudal ESI. L4-5 tear, L5-S1 bulge.

Good luck with your second.

Mike

Closed Thread