It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• medx back machine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-19-2003, 06:22 PM   #1
    debe

debe HB User
    Post medx back machine

Hi, I am new on your board - I am again having back pain and was wondering if anyone out there has used the MedX back machine. I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about how you work your muscles through the pain and build a really fit back. The two subjects quoted in the article called it "the miracle cure". There is no one in the immediate Kansas City area and I can't find anything out about it. I would love to hear from anyone who has heard of this. Thank you!
    debe

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #2
    kvanrijn

kvanrijn HB User
    Hi Debe

Never heard of a MedX back machine. I'm curious too. Hope someone answers your post cause I would also like to know. When was the article in the Wall Street Journal? I'd like to read it.

kvanrijn
    MRI 8/2002 results:
    DDD with annular tears at L4-5 and L5-S1.
    Large left paramedian disc extrusion at L5-S1 which results in mass effect on left S1 nerve root and left side of thecal sac.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:18 AM   #3
    successtory
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

successtory HB User
    Hi debe and kvanrijn

I have not personally experienced the MedX Back Machine, however your question made me go on a search Basically? The MedX is your mechanical PT ! This may be good for those where "standard" exercises and stretches would work just as the media totes it will (the miracle cure). However, you should all first make sure your doctor knows and approves of this decision (or at least tell you why he thinks it would not be good/not work/whatever for you).

There is a very good place to go for information, I found a site called backinaction and they have video explanations and graphic samples of stretches.

Which brings me to something you should be made aware. This machine is meant for the general public. The general public usually has never had back surgery. However...I am a believer that there is no such thing as a "miracle cure" in itself....or should I say BY itself. It is the combination of many, many things that brings 'back' relief and freedom from pain. Not only one kind of therapy or surgery...but the best of the bunch--combined and designed specifically for you and your back. That is a major factor (I believe) for my success. Finding what is right for YOU and going with it. But when you try things, always ask a professional (doctor, therapist, surgeon, etc.) about the product or exercise. Would it be to your benefit or detriment? What would they recommend you start with (repetitions & number of sets)....How many times a day should they be done? ... what are the symptoms of overdoing and what are the symptoms of possible damage? What do I look for so that I don't damage myself further? Etc.

I personally tried the back stretches they show on their site. I got through the last half (I started from 11 and got down to 5). I am very advanced as an IDET patient (will be one year Feb 11th), so I know exactly when to stop and do....so I did. hehe When I started, my first thought was to cut their repetitions in half (because I'm an IDET patient... constant repetition of ANYTHING causes irritation and inflamation to our IDET disks. OK long story. Bottom line...what is good for you may not be for me. I can see the benefits of the MedX machine--modified for YOU.

On a quick "here's my opinion-thing"...the MedX Back machine is a glorified swimming pool. It specializes in resistance movements to strengthen all the muscles (twisting, turning, pulling, pushing ones) hehe A swimming pool does this too. But like I said, haven't tried it personally....just do some homework.

I believe to heal and be well, it is a culmination of everything that is available to you. It is your diet, it is your attitude, it is your medical professionals, it is your knowledge, it is physical therapy, it is mental therapy, it is communication, it is belief and faith, it is finding protocol for surgeries or procedures (pre and post) and following them or questioning them if they do not feel right, it is overcoming troubled finances, spouses, children, et al, it is EXTREMELY hard work... as well it should be--it is your life.

Research, ask and then maybe try the MedX with your doctor's or therapists's OK...it just may be right for you.

------------------
    successtory
    Oct 2000: Repetitive Stress Injury-Inverted Hernia
    Feb 2001: MRI. Shows only slight bulge at L4-L5
    Dec 2001: Discogram/CT scan shows Inverted Hernia at L5-S1. L4-L5 & L5-S1 ruptured in all 4 quadrants. Unable to walk.
    Feb 2002: IDET, Nucleoplasty, Intra-Discal Injections
    Sept 2002: Rated in the top 10% for successful patients. Retraining for new career.

Old 01-24-2003, 10:56 AM   #4
    lamahan

lamahan HB User
    I am a product of the Med X Back machine. I was prescribed 12 weeks of it after my initial diagnosis of a herniated disc a year and a half ago. The first 6 weeks was great. I had tremendous relief of my symptoms. At the 6 week mark, I fell down a couple of steps on my toosh and re-injured my back. I degressed on the machine and never got the relief the second 6 weeks of therapy. Needless to say, I had to have surgery and had a discectomy done in May of 2002.

Ten weeks after surgery, they started me back on the machine. I was feeling great the day I went in to use it. Unfortunately I had an idiot for a PT a messed me up on it. The are supposed to do a static test on the first visit in order to see how much weight you will be able to work with. I ended up having to perform the test twice in one day. To make a long story short, I think that day is what caused me to re-herniate my disc and end up back in surgery this past December.

The machine was great. I really liked the exercises itself. You are supposed to extend back only as far as you can go, and flexion is the same. The amount of weight you use is based on toleration as is the number of reps you do. When they first put you onto the machine, you will think you are about to take off on the space shuttle. They really strap you in in order to isolate the extensor muscles. It is very easy to cheat if they don't strap you in well, and it causes you to use your quadriceps if you cheat.

I hope you get to use it and have success with it. I wish I hadn't fallen down the steps! I may never have had surgery if it weren't for those damn steps!!

Much luck,
    Lori

Old 09-04-2003, 05:31 PM   #5
    mummer43
    (male)

mummer43 HB User
    I've been using the lumbar extension machine and I've been having good results.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
    rick hadad
    (male)

rick hadad HB User
    Re: medx back machine

I have had chronic back pain for 20+ years I have several herneated discs resulting from walking with an impaired gait since a hip surgery in my thirties. I have tried most medications and have used Med X equipment at Dynamic Rehab Center in the Detroit area on a couple of different occasions with success I felt a great deal of relief and for the first time in years was able the run briefly at the airport with my grandson. Due to lack of insurance and lack of $$$ I haven't done this in a number of years I now have insurance again and have relocated to the KC area. I would be very interested to know if anyone out there knows of a physical therapest in this area using this kind of therapy?

Closed Thread