It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• lumbar spine xray results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #1
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    lumbar spine xray results

I picked up my xray results today on the way to my MRI and here is what it said:
    Findings:
    "facet degenerative changes are seen at L4-5 and L5-S1. Loss of normal disk space height is seen at L5-S1. Posterior spur is identified."
    Impresson:
    "DJD at L5-S1. Please see above. Facet degenerative changes".

MRI recommended also in the findings.
    Can anyone break this down a little for me??
    MRI today was cervical spine and lumbar spine. Don't know if the doc will call me with the results, or if I have to wait til I see him Aug 25.

Thanks for any help in advanced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2004, 05:53 PM   #2
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User
    Re: lumbar spine xray results

[I]An x-ray really doesn't give enough information for an accurate accounting of your problems. It indicated degenerative joint disease, and noted that the heighth of the L5 disk is less than it should be, which could mean it has dried out or it could mean a bulge or herniation.

Your MRI should be much more exacting in spelling things out. I wouldn't wait until the 25th....call the dr.s office Friday and see if they have the results yet. Ask for the interpretation, or better yet, see if they will mail you a copy. Keep in mind, those results belong to YOU.

Carol[/I]
    morphine pump

Old 08-03-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

that is true carol. And I first want to thank you for responding to my posts. It helps that there is someone out there willing to talk about this with me (other than family and docs). I am more relieved actually that the xray showed something, that means I should def get some kind of answer with the MRI. I will take your advice and call the doctor's office. I shouldn't have to wait to see him, and I won't wait three weeks to atleast find out what is going on. Thank you again.
    Melissa

Old 08-04-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I know I am pretty much talking to myself here, but carol, if you are out there: I went to work today for PT and ran into one of the Doctors I work with. He looked at the xray results then asked if I was having pain down my left leg. I said yes, and he said that my left leg was significantly smaller than my right, including my left buttock. He said I was having muscle atrophy (I do know what that is). Any ideas on if the back can be related? He mentioned nerve damage. Anyone else with this kind of injury have that symptom?

Old 08-04-2004, 01:26 PM   #5
    Fly_Girl01

Fly_Girl01 HB User

Mel-

As far as your leg pain goes, Im not sure what to say since most of my problems are cervical and thoracic. However, I did want to respond to your original post about your MRI. I dont know if you have your results by now, but I wanted mine, and all I had to do was call the hospital and they put the pictures on a CD-ROM that I can view on my computer, along with the written report. See if they can do that for you, its actually kind of fun to play with the pictures on the computer, you can zoom into certain areas, change the colors, etc. LOL ok I have too much time on my hands.
    Hope you get some releif soon!
    Amy
    DDD T9-T10
    Retrolisthesis L5-S1

Old 08-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #6
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

Hi, mel. I'm glad you ran into that doctor and that he was willing to take a look at the xray. I didn't know you could see muscle atrophy from an x-ray...that is another way of saying that the muscle is withering ... as it would, say, if you were bedridden for a month or two...your leg muscles would lose strength and size.
    I would ask for an EMG to determine nerve damage which can lead to atrophy, and then get a second opinion. You must certainly have some kind of problems whether it be a herniated disc or bulging disc, that is causing your muscle to lose mass.

Good luck, and please be sure to let us know what the MRI results are.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 08-04-2004, 03:31 PM   #7
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

carol, he didn't actually see the xray, he read the impressions from the results, and when I mentioned pain down my left leg, he looked at my leg and then told me about the muscles being smaller on the left than the right, the nurses that were around noticed too(did I mention Iwork in a hospital??). I had a broken leg in 2000, and had the atrophy in the right leg, but that was from lack of use. I haven't been on any bed rest (though resting more than usual). Right now my calf muscle is spasming and has been for the past hour (doesn't hurt, just annoying).
    I decided to write up a short history, pain and location note to give to my new doctor. In it I wrote types of pain, locations of all pain, and anything else I have noticed (like weakness in LLE). Makes sense that my knee would be hurtingmore if I have a more severe disk issue than I thought, it would also explain the feeling of weakness and muscle spasms.
    Thank you for writing me back. I just have to wait now which really really sucks. I just hope this stuff doesn't interfere with our vacation to Cancun (we leave Fri). We are celebrating our official Honeymoon-I want to have a good time. But, these days I am not feeling very good on top of the pain. I am nauseated and tired. I think it is from the pain meds, and I get constipated very very easily, especially when I take Percocet. I am taking stool softners and eating when I take my meds, but I still feel like crap.
    Hope I am not over doing my welcome, I do appreciate your kind words!
    Melissa

Closed Thread