It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Fractured L3/Transverse Process!!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2003, 10:17 AM   #1
    aljones163

aljones163 HB User
    Unhappy Fractured L3/Transverse Process!!!!

Hi all. When I was 25, I had a slip and fall and fractured my L3 Transverse Process. It was misdiagnosed and it took the doc's about four months to figure out it was more than just a bruise. I worked during that time despite the pain as I was told I was being a 'baby' by the doc's. Anyhoo, it's been almost four years since and there is still pain there. I just had an MRI done and apparently I had a compression fracture in the upper back as well. (bone endema's etc) However, the MRI didn't show anything wrong with the L3 region despite how much pain I am in. My family doc, said that he had a similar injury and that that pain will never go away. I am taking Bextril, which is awesome but am wondering if anyone has had a similar injury and completely recovered? I get what feels like sciatica and then serious muscle spasms which I can stretch out if I catch in time. Also, I am having , at least for the last two years, an awful pain in my lower left side. A gastroenterologist is looking into it. It's not Crohn's and my doc said I am too young for diverticulitis. I guess it will be discovered in my colonoscopy. Anyways, my doc has had a pain in his left side as a result of his similar back injury. Has anyone heard of that also? Thanks for your time. Any input would be awesome as I just discovered this board and it would be awesome to talk to someone who has injured their back similarly. Also, any women out there, will having such an injury pose problems when I want to have a baby?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2003, 05:26 PM   #2
    bounce
    (female)

bounce HB User
    Hi aljones,

yes i have had several transverse processes broken as a result of car accident from thorasic down to lumber area there is no correct record of how many as far as im aware mine hgave all healed although i also have righht sidelower pain which also goes into my hip i also had a compresion fracture of t8 which i have had surgrey to repair i have a cage and rods
    as for the preganacy thing i went through a prgnancy
    (another big accident) before my sugrey it was tuff and i needed to rest quite abit my pain was a bit higher but i coped
    was your transverse process broken on the left or right of your spine?? may be it has healed slitghly wrong and pressing on nerve??? i have found that somtimes things are not picked up well on x-rays i had a lot of mis-read x-rays and mri scans!!!
    good luck to you and i hope you find an answer and that my post was of some help
    takecare bounce [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/blob_fire.gif[/img]
    march 2000 after having ct scan discovered i was prgnant NOT PLANNED
    decemeber 2000 had beautiful baby boy who is my motivation
    feb 2002 had surgrey a long gap form accident to op as i also breest fed my wee boy
    feb 5th 2002 had my back op
    posterior osteotomy and release,subsequent anterior trans thorasic approach with corpectomy of T8 and reconstruction using mesh cage with rib bone graft and a third stage of posterior correction of the deformity using pedicle screw instrumention and further bone grafting.
    own bone used rib 7 on left side so have big gap
    march 17 2003 got all clear from surgeon i have fused
    -----------------
    july 2003 ercp to remove gallstone from bile duct
    august 2003 gallbladder removed

Closed Thread