It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• What does 'Pre Testing' for fusion surgery entail?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2003, 03:38 PM   #151
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Heya i'M ONLY 18!

K Mart was my next guess!!!! heheh.
    I am at work now. I work at Fernwood female fitness and luckily for my back i sit or stand as i need. Speaking of work, how do you manage the long days or just how do you manage with your spine in the condition its in? You're floor staff right? I used to work at target and coles so i hear ya! I also now understand why they are being so tight, because its not like they cant afford it!

Um yep very organised.I'm like that very organised all the time. I have bought a reaching aid because you're not allowed to bend its like one of those things that they pick up rubbish with. Today i am buying the speical floaty pillow type thing, sort of doughnut shaped it makes sitting more comfortable. I have also bought things like extra long body brush for the shower so i dont have to twist and turn to wash my back hehe. I also have a non slip mat. I have cleaned out my room so that there is nothing that i can trip over and i have moved me exercise bike out as it takes up too much room and i am forever stubbing my lil toes on it! ouch!
    Over the next couple of weeks i will be moving everything to a decent hight including my medical supplies draw, actually i have to totally re-locate it because i wont be able to pull the draw out or anything, so i might hire a wheely table to have next to my bed.
    I have a couple of uni exams before my surgery so that will keep me occupied.
    My parents dont understand how big this procedure is i dont think, well they'll just find out as we go. They would never let anything bad happen to me. My good friend/ used to be my boyfriend will be good for support but he works a lot so it'll be more a reliance on mum and dad.
    Prob the worst thing is that i am going to lose all the work i have done to get myself fit, i've had some time away from gym because i am trying to help my back but i'm going to lose more, but i'll just start again when my body is ready.
    Would your parents pay for the PLIF and then sue Coles Myer for the money? If you need to have it you should have it and recover the money later, because time is slipping by along with the condition of your spine.

I hope you have had a good day at work
    [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img]
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2003, 04:18 PM   #152
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Brooke,

I once had a bonsai tree but it only lasted about a year. Although I love gardening I still have plenty to learn.

Sorry I couldn't remember the name of the inflatable pillow when I saw it in the store. Doughnut pillow does ring a bell.

Have a great weekend.

Old 10-12-2003, 05:24 AM   #153
    I'M ONLY 18 !!!!!!

Hey Brooke,
    how was ur weekend? yeh good ol kmart!
    u must love your job! id love to be a personal trainer!
    ur's is a ladies only gym right?

my hours for work are thurs and fri nights, 8am-6:30pm saturday and 12-5:30 sunday.
    being a supervisor i rush around all day so it does take its toll on my back! i guess ive somewhat gotten used to the pain and i just expect to be in pain on saturday night.
    it's pretty annoying cos they are such a big company its not like they couldnt afford my op!
    My parents totally understand that i need the operation so if it came down to it they would pay, but then it'd get messy cos there would be no more " mrs nice im only 18!!!" haha

w/c wanted me to wait 6 months then "re apply" for the op. obviously we challenged it and we are at the 5 month mark now with no improvement so im hoping to get a good result. im actually ringing the concilliator tomorrow to find out why the hell i havent heard anything!!

so u bought one of those reaching aids! i will need to get one too i spose! i can just see my mates taking the **** out of all the stuff i have to buy haha!
    i never thought about the floaty pillow thing!
    my mum is a neat freak so my room actually our house is spotless and clutterless so there is no way o could trip on anyting my biggest battle will be getting up and down the stairs at the front door, then the stairs to get up to my room!
    do u have many stairs?
    have u sat down and explained the procedure and rehab to ur parents?

anyways im off to bed catch ya mate!

------------------
    *Injured back 12/12/01 at work lifting BBQ's and outdoor furniture.
    *Couldnt walk for two weeks
    * Went to P/T twice a week
    * Went to a rehab hospital twice a week
    *Both gave me no relief for 15 months
    * Ortho diagnosed me with
    - DDD of entire lumbar spine
    - Scheuermann's Disease
    - Bulging disc at L4-5
    and L5-S1
    -nerve compression at S1
    -Spinal stenosis
    -Retrolisthesis L5-S1

* Neuro wants to perform :
    -Spinal rhizolysis
    -Laminectomy
    -Discetomy L5-S1
    -PLIF

I have seen 6 surgeons who all agree with the surgery.
    waiting for part two of w/c hearing to secure payment for surgery.

Old 10-13-2003, 12:08 AM   #154
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Hi I'm only 18,

Ha! I was a supervisor at Big W and Target!! so i know exactly what you mean. That was before i knew about my back though so i generally just ignored it and was totally screwed and in pain when i got home from work.

I think i am going to use the reaching aid mainly to pinch people on the bottom when i want something!

I had my last appointment with the surgeon today and I will donate blood for my transfusion on thursday and then go into hospital on Tuesday 28/10 in the afternoon so that they can do all the pre-op testing then keep me overnight and operate on the wednesday. I'll be in for 8 days. He said ICU for 2 days as the first 48 hours are the worst.

I finish uni next wednesday Yay!

For now I'm just going to try and forget about it.

Tommorrow,
    I just know there are so many things I want to do, i find it so hard to control myself and just keep saying, no i realy shouldnt. It worries me about how i will be after the op. I dont want to compromise the fusion. My surgeon also said I wont be driving for 6 months while the fusion takes, is this right?

Brooke

Old 10-13-2003, 06:41 PM   #155
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Brooke,

My neuro surgeon again did not go into any detail with me about driving. I did notice that on one of my forms it did indeed state no driving. I never asked him when I would be aloud to drive but he does know that I have driven myself to his office and has said nothing. My home therapist had told me in the beginning when I felt strong enough and confident that I could turn the steering wheel sharply if needed then I should be able to drive. I did start driving about 7 weeks after surgery. But only because I could not keep asking my husband or daughter to miss work to take me to doctor appointments. However, you should follow your doctor's order's.

Have a good night.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:19 AM   #156
    I'M ONLY 18 !!!!!!

Hey Brooke,

I was planning on using the reaching aid to pinch peoples bums too hehe!

you have ur op on the same day i have my last pre op appt!! so ill be at the hospital but just visiting so ill be thinking of u!!

cant believe u finished uni!! im so jealous!!!!!! i have this major assignment to do due thurs and there is no way ill get it doen cos im working 7 days at the moment aaahh i better go and do some more now! catch ya mate

------------------
    * Injured back 12/12/01 at work lifting BBQ's and outdoor furniture.
    * Couldnt walk for two weeks
    * Went to P/T twice a week
    * Went to a rehab hospital twice a week
    * Both gave me no relief for 15 months
    * Ortho diagnosed me with
    - DDD of entire lumbar spine
    - Scheuermann's Disease
    - Bulging disc at L4-5
    and L5-S1
    - Nerve compression at S1
    - Spinal stenosis
    - Retrolisthesis L5-S1

* Neuro wants to perform :
    - Spinal rhizolysis
    - Laminectomy
    - Discetomy L5-S1
    - PLIF

I have seen 6 surgeons who all agree with the surgery.
    I WON W/C HEARING TO SECURE PAYMENT FOR ALL MEDICAL AND LIKE EXPENSES FOR MY PLIF!
    Waiting to see neuro to book surgery date!!

Old 10-15-2003, 10:33 PM   #157
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that i went to donate blood for my operation today and they knocked me back because i had a cut on my finger
    I really hope I can donate before my surgery. I would really like to use my own blood. The less foreign stuff in my body the better.

Brooke

Closed Thread