It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 9 weeks postop from posterior lumbar fusion and still feels like screws are digging

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-26-2003, 05:15 AM   #46
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Shg,

Good Morning, I had a bit of nerve pain last night but it is gone this morning. I love the City but we haven't gotten out their much. We did go around Christmas to Radio City Music Hall to see the Rockette's. What a fabulous show. Anyway I live in Brookhaven township.

I can't believe how amazing you are, and I am starting to get very jealous.. I think that it is absolutely wonderful that you were able to go to your job. Your coworkers must have been ecstatic. You really deserve a pat on the back..

This positive and great attitude that you have I also once had. Your words are very inspiring. I just want you to know that by no means am I a weak women. I am a very strong women and have been my entire life. I hide my pain from most people and come here to vent with my chronic pain. The only people that truly understand are the people that have been there. I don't depress my family with my pain if anything I have the biggest and most phony smile, and sometimes a pair of sunglasses to hide the tears. I suffer from migraine headaches so wearing the sunglasses is normal at times. I have two teenage children who do not need to see me suffer. Oh, they did at first but as soon as I was able to move around I had to show them that I would not be dependent on them. I actually had to push my 15 year old son out the door to go play with his friends this past summer, as he did not want to leave me alone. My job as a parent is to take care of them and make them happy, and that is what comes first. If they see me miserable if affects them.

So after I come here to vent and also try and help other's, life goes on....

Have a great day...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2003, 05:26 AM   #47
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Christi,

Glad you are feeling a lil better. I have also noticed that I am walking a lil bit faster. The housework also gets me but as soon as I start feeling any pain my body is telling me to rest.

I can understand you gynecologist wanting to wait on surgery. I hope that the increase of meds works for you. I really pray that menopause does shrink the tumors for you. I have always been curious as to when menopause starts and that is one issue I have not yet researched. My sister who it a MA told me once that some women are starting to go through this at age 40. I am 39 years old and occasionally have hot flashes but then again my daughter who is age 19 also has these. So I am positive that it is not menopause...lol

Well, I hope that you have a great day with less pain today.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:53 AM   #48
    shg

shg HB User
    Tomorrow,

Good morning. You have shown your strength to others and i appluad you for that, now it's time to make yourself believe that again. Give yourself a pat on the back and moreso, give yourself a vacation from yourself. You'll be fine.

SHG

Old 09-26-2003, 07:18 AM   #49
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Good morning Tomorrow:

I appreciate what you said about putting up a front for others. Most people who have seen me in the last several weeks think I look great etc. They really don't want to hear about any pain you have but that's ok. I really didn't want to talk about it that much anyway. Like you I came to these boards and shared how I felt and or feel. I have to say that the pain/discomfort in my left leg and buttock can be discouraging at times but I try to think positive about it. It is always there to some degree in the left leg, not always in buttock. I am hoping that I am one of those where that pain will eventually go away. That is why I had surgery. But I guess if some pain/discomfort remains I will have to push it to the back of my mind as I am trying to do now and go on and be happy as I am also trying to do now. It sure helps to keep yourself busy though. Got to go to a funeral this morning. A good friend of mine's mother passed away. She was 95 . Have a great day!

Old 09-26-2003, 07:27 AM   #50
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi SHG:

I am curious. Is your leg and buttock pain all gone?
    Boy if it is you sure are lucky and I envy you. I still have mine only not as severe as before surgery at least I think so. I am trying to ignore it knowing that it may take a year or so for that to go away. I hope it goes away but if it doesn't than I will go on. I always do. My surgeon is one of the best in this area, so I am told. Unfortunately I had no idea prior to surgery how long recovery would be. They showed me some video and all I heard was 6 to 12 weeks. I didn't know that it could take a whole lot longer till after surgery, 3weeks later and or on these boards. I was so upset after 3 weeks of so much pain. Yes I am a very strong person but I am also high strung and can get very emotional which doesn't help me at all. It makes me hurt more at that time. My husband says I need to relax. Of course he has said this for over 16 years. He is so easy going, almost too much at times so we offset each other very well. Keep up the good work. Me, I will do fine. Just need encouragement now and then. Got to go now. Funeral in half hour. Talk to you later. By the way did you go in to work today?

Christi

Old 09-27-2003, 07:26 AM   #51
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Good Morning everone:

Boy did it rain here last night and this morning. I'll bet we got 3 inches or rain and we don't really need it.

I was supposed to make popcorn for the historical society today. The rain has stopped, maybe I will do this after noon. My attitude is very good. Discomfort in buttock and leg still there but I am trusting that it will go away eventually.

How are you Tomorrow, SHG?

Hoping every one is in good spirits today. I sure am. I am looking for greater things in life, with or without pain and discomfort. I have found that if you keep busy, the discomfort tends to get ignored or forgotten. I want to go see my twin grandsons, and also the 3 year old grandson tomorrow. I haven't seen them since June. They live 2 hours away. May have to recline the seat awhile but it will be worth it to see their little faces.

I agree with you SHG we must stay positive, it really helps a person to improve in their health.

Christi

Old 09-27-2003, 12:48 PM   #52
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Christi,

I am sorry to hear of your friends' mother's passing. At least it looks as if she led a very long life.

I agree with your statement on trying to keep yourself busy so that it pushes the pain in the back of your mind. I just wish I could do this as I have absolutely no energy but this is probably a combination of meds and anemia. Sooner or later these iron pills should start helping me.

Most of us try and think positive, but we have our bad days just like the rest of the world. So you can vent to me anytime.....

I really hope that you have a great weekend.

Old 09-27-2003, 12:54 PM   #53
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello again Christi,

I didn't see your post from this morning until after I had already replied to the one from yesterday.

I just wanted to say that I hope that you have a wonderful time visiting your grandsons. I can just imagine the look on their sweet faces when they see Grandma.

Enjoy Yourself....

Old 09-27-2003, 12:56 PM   #54
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Sean,

Thanks for the applause but only doing my job.

I hope that you have a great weekend.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:48 PM   #55
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User
    Hi Magnet, I'm new to this board & your posts caught my eye. I'm from the Amish area, too, & I'm curious who your doc is (if you don't mind me asking). I have wasted the last 3 months of my life with a doc who is incompetent, I won't mention his name. His first & only answer was a spinal fusion & no other options. Apparently he has a big mortgage payment!! I have a ruptured disc in the L4/L5 area so I'm getting an epidural injection on Wed. from my new doc. He's a neuro in the Mansfield area. I wanted to ask if anyone has suffered with migraines after receiving several cortizone injections? This will be my 3rd in 2 months. And I don't mean right afterwards but rather weeks after. I'm also taking Vicodin 500, 3-4 a day, & have never had migraines until now. Thanks in advance for any info, and I hope your progress continues. My injury by the way is a mystery. . . I just turned 40????

Old 09-28-2003, 05:24 PM   #56
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Confused:

Now you have me curious. How far & where do you live in regard to Mt. Hope? and where was your doctor from? My doctor is one of the surgeons at the Crystal Clinic up by Fairlawn. Back in 1997 I had an epidural/cortisone injection but don't remember having a headache because of it. I have also taken Vicodin Es from February till about 8 weeks ago and up until 2 weeks ago was only taking half of it. Since then I am only taking half of Vicodin, in other words 250mg.

What specific problems are you experiencing? How long have you been suffering? What about MRI, ct skan, what were the results for those? If you let us know maybe I or some others can help you out.

christi

Old 09-28-2003, 06:59 PM   #57
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Confused,

Welcome to the Healthboards. I also suffer from migraine headaches but they are not caused by my ESI's. I had severe cervical pain for a long time and my headaches originated from that pain. Then after suffering for so long they had turned to migraines. I take Imitrex and it works for me. I can tell you that when I first started taking Vicodin and only one a day I would get headaches. But after my body got used to the med the headaches were not as frequent. After my fusion surgery my dose was increased to 4 or 5 a day of ES Vicodin. I recently started to decrease my meds and occasionally get a headache but not migraine.

Take Care

Old 09-28-2003, 07:03 PM   #58
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Christi,

I hope that you were able to go visit your grandsons and had a great weekend. I hope the weather was great by you. Today it rained all day and I felt it but still was able to enjoy my day with family.

Take Care.

Old 09-29-2003, 05:57 AM   #59
    shg

shg HB User
    Itís Monday and I hope you all had a great weekend. As for me, Iím in the office right now and will be for the next few hoursÖstill keeping up with my goals.

Christi,

I havenít had leg pain for a while. What I did have was back and butt pain. Of which both (knock on wood) are gone. I do at times get a twinge or two but all in all, itís pretty damn good. The numbness that I experienced prior to surgery in my leg is still there. Like you, I was told when it comes to the nerves, etc, you need to give it time. Remember, itís all subjective. Just donít give-up.

Also, Christi, great job in helping out new friend, ďconfusedpatient.Ē

Confusedpatient, your in good hands hereÖI hope you find the competence in what Christi and the rest of us say.

SHG

Old 09-29-2003, 06:26 AM   #60
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Tomorrow:

Went to see the grandchildren yesterday. It is a 2 hour drive. It wasn't the most comfortable drive. We stopped once and that really helped. By the way I drove up there and half the trip back. When my husband took over on the way back he said that the back of my seat was too far up. I reclined the passenger seat and that really helped me. Sitting up straight for a long period of time can be a bit much.

The grandchildren are really growing. The twins are just darling. They were born 3 months early and will be 1 year old Nov. 10th. They are crawling everywhere and Zack is standing up a lot. They undergo physical therapy each week for cerebral palsy. The doctors discovered that they have a mild case.Thank God it was discovered at a very early age. You sure wouldn't know it to look at them. They are so happy and smart too. Of course Brock the 3 year old is as active as ever.

I learned with this trip as far as I am concerned that if you go away in a car for a long period of time that you definitely need to stop and stretch.
    By the way Tomorrow I don't remember if I asked you but do you still have numbness, tingling and pain in your leg and buttock. I am afraid that I still do. Hope all is well with you.

Christi

Closed Thread