HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Back Problems (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/)
-   -   9 weeks postop from posterior lumbar fusion and still feels like screws are digging (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/back-problems/19936-9-weeks-postop-posterior-lumbar-fusion-still-feels-like-screws-digging.html)

MarianJ 10-08-2003 04:19 AM

Hello :wave: Christi,

I really hope that you have a great time. What a great boss to give you the Astro van for your trip. I hope this makes you trip more comfortable.

Enjoy Yourself !

shg 10-08-2003 05:18 AM

Christi,

Go get'em...

SHG

magnetlady45 10-14-2003 04:38 AM

Hi Everyone:

Well we got back from Hershey late Saturday night. It was a great time. I drove at least half the way to and back. I did a lot of walking there and did a lot of sitting too.
I also went back to work yesterday and put in an 11 hour day. We usually work 13 hours on Mondays & Thursdays. Right now I am getting ready to go in for an 8 hour day. Tomorrow is my day off. It is really nice to get back to work.
I am not pain free yet after 3 months post op but it is so much better than what it was before surgery. People say that I look better, walk straighter, and am much calmer. I know it is because I am not taking near the medication as before. Vicodin and Vicodin ES are narcotics and can really mess you up.
I go to my ortho for a follow up appt. on Thursday morning. I am sure he will do an xray to see how the fusion is coming along. I am hoping that everything is progressing nicely.

SHG & Tomorrow hope all is well with you.

Christi

MarianJ 10-14-2003 05:17 AM

Good Morning :wave: Christi,

I am very happy to hear that you had a great time on your trip. I was so worried that this trip may have been to much for you. Boy, was I wrong. It looks as if this might have been exactly what you needed. Glad you had a good time.

I can't believe that you went back to work and put in an 11 hour day. You are remarkable... Please be careful. It is also great to hear that your pain has been diminishing and you are able to cut down on your pain meds. It looks as if you are heading onto a successful road of recovery. I am so very happy for you.

Have a great day at work.

shg 10-15-2003 06:15 AM

Christi,

Congrats to you...I'm very happy for you...you must feel great knowing you did this...what a motivation!

Sorry I havenít been here since FridayÖIím back to work full-time and things have just been crazy. I had my x-rays on Monday and the Dr. said things look great, not much bone growth (if any) which isnít a concern considering Iím only 6 weeks post-op. Heís cleared me to ride a stationary bike, walk on a treadmill at various inclines and even use very light weights to work out my upper body. My next follow-up is in 6 weeks unless I need one sooner.

Keep your chins up, be positive and know that weíre all here for each otherÖ

SHG

MarianJ 10-15-2003 08:04 AM

Hello :wave: Shg,

I am happy to hear that you are able to return to work full time. Wow, I am really amazed at what your dr. has enabled you to do as far as exercises. I am glad that all looked great at your doctor's visit.

Good Luck To You.

magnetlady45 10-15-2003 11:55 AM

Hi Shg,

Glad to hear that you are doing well. Full time after only 6 weeks is tremendous. I wish I could have done that but oh well we are moving right along now. I was pretty tired by last evening but the good news is that I slept better too. I have been trying to stay up to watch the baseball games but I don't always make it till the end.
Today is my day off. I always take Wednesdays off. It helps to break up the week. We went for a ride to take in the beautiful weather as well as pick up a magneto for my husband's stationary engine.
I am going to my 3 month post op appt tomorrow. Hope we see some bone growth.

Have a great day.

Christi

magnetlady45 10-15-2003 12:00 PM

Hi Tomorrow:

What a beautiful day today. The temperature is a little cool but the leaves are beautiful. It is my day off and I enjoyed it tremendously. I hope you are doing well. Hope the swelling has gone down. Take advantage of the beautiful weather. Go out and have some fun. It really helps to elevate the spirit even when we hurt. It helps to take the mind off of it.

Christi

MarianJ 10-18-2003 12:34 PM

Oh, the weather here is also beautiful. I went out this morning but to another doctor's appointment. I had to have my endoscopy. But the good news is they didn't find an ulcer. I do have to wait about two weeks for the biopsy results. They also had to schedule me now for a colonoscopy as they have to find the source of my internal bleeding. That appointment isn't until next month. Today I feel like a little bit of a zombie, and I think it is because of the effects of the anesthesia. You should see how long it takes me to type a sentence correctly...lol

I hope that you enjoy your weekend.

MarianJ 10-24-2003 07:15 PM

I haven't heard from you in a couple of days. I hope that you are doing well. How did everything go at your 3 month post op appointment? I pray that you aren't over doing it with going back to work and that your pain levels are low. Have a great weekend and please keep us posted on your recovery.

Take Care

magnetlady45 10-25-2003 02:21 PM

Hi Tomorrow:

Well I have just finished my 2nd week of being back to work. By Friday night last week I was in tears. I hurt so much and was so tired I didn't go in to work the next day. Of course I had already worked two 11 hour days and two 8 hour days. Last Thursday morning I went for my 3 month post op appt with my ortho. They took xrays and my doctor thought they were a little dark. I guess they couldn't see the bone growth very well. From what he could see he thought my growth was behind or hadn't grown as much as he thought it would. He asked me if I smoked and of course I do not. Then he said that some people are a little slower than others and not to worry. I asked him about failed back surgery and he said it is too early to think about that and not to worry. So I guess I will not think about that for at least a good year.

I have quit taking vicoden. My last pill was last Sunday morning. Do I still have pain? yes but I take Tylenol to help with that. Boy I really do think I am a walking barometer. When the weather turned colder I hurt more and today it was in the mid 60's and I didn't hurt near as much. I still have the sore back muscles from the surgery and of course where they took out bone from my hip. I realize that will take quite some time to get better.

I did work more hours this week. I guess you have to build stamina or maybe I should say that you have to get used to it all over again. Wednesday I travelled to hours south to visit with my son and his family and my daughter and her family. I didn't do too well from the afternoon on because of a migraine headache that I developed.

I got off work today at 2p.m. and came home and did a load of laundry and dusted, did dishes and now I am relaxing. I am planning on cooking supper or maybe I will order pizza. I am not sure yet.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Christi

magnetlady45 10-25-2003 02:23 PM

Hi Tomorrow:

Well I have just finished my 2nd week of being back to work. By Friday night last week I was in tears. I hurt so much and was so tired I didn't go in to work the next day. Of course I had already worked two 11 hour days and two 8 hour days. Last Thursday morning I went for my 3 month post op appt with my ortho. They took xrays and my doctor thought they were a little dark. I guess they couldn't see the bone growth very well. From what he could see he thought my growth was behind or hadn't grown as much as he thought it would. He asked me if I smoked and of course I do not. Then he said that some people are a little slower than others and not to worry. I asked him about failed back surgery and he said it is too early to think about that and not to worry. So I guess I will not think about that for at least a good year.

I have quit taking vicoden. My last pill was last Sunday morning. Do I still have pain? yes but I take Tylenol to help with that. Boy I really do think I am a walking barometer. When the weather turned colder I hurt more and today it was in the mid 60's and I didn't hurt near as much. I still have the sore back muscles from the surgery and of course where they took out bone from my hip. I realize that will take quite some time to get better.

I did work more hours this week. I guess you have to build stamina or maybe I should say that you have to get used to it all over again. Wednesday I travelled to hours south to visit with my son and his family and my daughter and her family. I didn't do too well from the afternoon on because of a migraine headache that I developed.

I got off work today at 2p.m. and came home and did a load of laundry and dusted, did dishes and now I am relaxing. I am planning on cooking supper or maybe I will order pizza. I am not sure yet.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Christi

MarianJ 10-26-2003 07:13 PM

It is so good to hear from you. I am so sorry to hear of how much pain you were in. I really think you are putting in to many hours in one day. I feel very bad for you, but I don't think anyone can tell you what to do. Don't get yourself worried about your post op visit because my neuro told me at my 3 month visit that it was to soon to tell if I was fusing yet. Just give it some more time.

I have actually increased my vicodin. My pain management dr. told me to take 5 a day but I have gone up to 4 a day just to function. I couldn't even imagine working but I am trying to do more walking and I am still facing other complication's. I really pray that you determination pays off and that you indeed have a successful recovery. And don't forget about your cyber friends that do care about you.

Good Luck to you Christi....

magnetlady45 10-29-2003 10:22 AM

Hi Tomorrow:

I have come to the conclusion that weather is a major factor in how high or low my pain level is. Last Saturday I felt great, the weather was warm and no humidity. Sunday the cold and rain came in and I felt quite a bit of discomfort and have since then. I know that it is still early to tell as to whether my surgery is a complete success or not. I wish it was 2 years from now. Last night I looked in the mirror and noticed that once again it was red around the incision. It isn't always like that only when it is sore. I still have discomfort up to my shoulder blades. Last evening the slightest touch to my left leg sent like mild electric shocks. I don't have that today. It is my day off so I am taking it easy trying to relax. I have to study on the new Grand Prix as I am doing a presentation on it tomorrow morning during our meeting. Well I am trying very hard to remain positive about all this. I wish I was like some of the others who are doing much better than I. I can hardly believe they don't have any more pain. Well good for them. Hope you are doing better.

Christi

MarianJ 10-29-2003 11:18 AM

When I was younger the Grand Prix was my favorite car. I actually owned two of them. My husband had totaled out my first one, and thank God he was OK. My second one was even nicer with T-tops. As a saleswomen you must have to learn so much about them. If you don't mind me asking what kind of car do you drive? I would think that you would know the safest one, best gas mileage, and so on....

Sorry that you had so much discomfort with the weather again. I was like that this morning as the weather was miserable. But the sun is starting to shine just in time for my podiatry appointment thank God. That is strange what you said about the slightest touch to your leg send shocks to it. I have never felt that and can't even imagine that feeling. Make sure that your remember this and tell you doctor at your next follow up appointment. I still have difficulty looking at my scar and I know that this sounds so stupid. I have to use a washcloth when washing their or I actually gag. I really think this is a psychological issue.

I know what you are saying about other's that say they are pain free. I do envy them and know that we will be their one day too.

Good Luck on your presentation Tomorrow....