It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Good Fusion Outcomes Wanted

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-31-2003, 05:45 AM   #16
    shg

shg HB User
    tennis. 2 times a week...after a 2 level, 360 degree fusion!!! That's amazing and should be inspirational to all the people here who are scared to have this done. When I first heard I needed a fusion, I was fine, than I was terrified b/c I knew no one who really had one...THAN, all I did hear was people who were so upset, hurt, angry, etc...like you I'm being positive and like you, I hope to be on the court - maybe you and I can play one day...we'll start our own post-op league.

Now, I know that Blue2000 isn't the only one here...let me hear some more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 03:03 PM   #17
    blue2000

blue2000 HB User
    HEY THERE

I AM LEAVING FOR ARUBA TOMORROW, MAYBE WE COULD PUT TOGETHER A POST OP TENNIS LEAGUE. IT WOULD BE A BLAST. MY DOCTOR SAYS ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING AND GOING IN WITH A POSITIVE ATTITUDE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO

Old 07-31-2003, 07:16 PM   #18
    ReneeRAF

ReneeRAF HB User
    Hi. I had 360 2 level fusion with rods and screws on May 1, and my goal was to return in 6 weeks. When I went back, I found I couldn't sit for long periods of time. My doctor said it was too early, so he suggested I go back part time. Which helped until I was ready for full time at about 8 and 1/2 weeks.

I too am young, not overweight, not a smoker, etc. I was really discouraged at first, but everyday I seem to be a little better every day. I stop taking pain meds at about 5 weeks.

I am not almost three months post op and I can now walk for longer periods of time. Today I was given the okay, to start riding a stationary bike.

I was unable to bend and put my socks on for the first 4 weeks.

The Grabber is the best thing I bought before my surgery.

After your first couple of surgeries, when did you go back to work?

Good luck and let me know if you need any further information
    Renee
    Good luck

Old 08-01-2003, 07:37 AM   #19
    shg

shg HB User
    blue 2000

Nice job by you...graduations, flights, etc - I better be just like you...tennis is a must

ReneeRAF

Maybe blue 2000, her family and me and my family will come to Simi to see you one daay....ISN'T THIS WHAT A SUPPORT GROUP IS??? How nice is it to be able to talk to positive people? Lets hope others who have to go through a fusion find this to be a good influence on them. I was scheduled for my fusio on July 1 but canceled because of all the horror's I heard but now, I'm ready to face it because it's really a small percentage who's experiences are bad...I KNOW, I may not have as good of an outcome as others but I CANNOT allow myself to think that way going into this.

After my first surgeries, I was back within 2 weeks full-time. I played semi pro rugby and have always been extremely aggressive with rehab, etc (for those of you who say I pushed it and it resulted in my hurting my back more, I have to say, my doctors wanted to fuse my spine a long time ago...I refused and now I'm where I am). There was a little discomfort but I was able to work through it without any problem. This operation I know will not be the same however, I fully expect to be smart and recover as both of you have.

Last night I spoke to a patient of my doctors who had a 2 level 360 degree fusion 2 weeks ago (July 17th) and he's great now...still can't put on his own socks but said he's amazed how he feels.

Keep the great postings coming and blue, enjoy the sun...Renee, have a glass of Chardonay for me...Lets all stay in tough

Old 08-01-2003, 08:28 AM   #20
    sweetandlow

sweetandlow HB User
    Hi,

I had a fusion done on L4/L5 and S1 and a decompression on May 19,2003 had a hardware. I feel that so far it was well worth it. I to waited almost 2 years. Going back to work had 3 weeks sounds to early. going through this type of surgery you do not want to mess something up. I did start back to work part time after 6 wks ,and still working part time.

Old 08-01-2003, 08:32 AM   #21
    sweetandlow

sweetandlow HB User
    Hi,

I had a fusion done on L4/L5 and S1 and a decompression on May 19,2003 had a hardware. I feel that so far it was well worth it. I to waited almost 2 years. Going back to work had 3 weeks sounds to early. going through this type of surgery you do not want to mess something up. I did start back to work part time after 6 wks ,and still working part time. I also wanted to say that a positive attitude plays a big part. Best of luck

Old 08-05-2003, 12:23 PM   #22
    SharonJ

SharonJ HB User
    Cool

Hi there. I am brand new here, actually just registered after reading this post and the replies. I have been suffering from spodylolisthesis for 26 years (since I was 17, go ahead and do the math!) I am scheduled for an L5/S1 fusion on 9/8. My doctor will be using both an anterior and posterior approach all as part of the same surgery. Is this what is meant by a 360 degree fusion? Obviously this is a pretty big surgery with 2 incisions, etc. Is it harder to recover from this? Are there better outcomes? Like many others I have been fighting this for a long time, I am scared to death and wondering if I made the right decision.
    With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
    360 degree L5/S1 fusion on September 8th with 6 screws and 2 rods. My pain is 99.9% gone...this is the best thing I've ever done!
    DDD and bone spurs T11-S1
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6. Told that my C-spine will not be helped by surgery.

Old 08-06-2003, 12:58 AM   #23
    stilljustagirl

stilljustagirl HB User
    Hi. I had fusion, it was successful. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2003, 06:04 AM   #24
    shg

shg HB User
    SharonJ

Welcome...I'm glad my post helped you to login. As you can see, my goal was to set something up where we can be positive and not deal with any real negatives unless we have too. Keep a positive mindset and all will work out well. Know that I'm not far behind you with my surgery date. Where are you getting yours done? I'm in NYC but I have family near you so I know tha area. As far as your question of "360 degree..." yes, a posterior and anterior approach is in fact a 360 degree operation. According to my doctor and all the others I've met with, they say that there is a better outcome this way in certain patients and in my case, I'm one of them and I'm sure you are too. Have they said what they're going to put in? Lucky for you your a one level fusion...I'm beginning to think though that one level, 2 level...to me, it's a huge operation either way and we all have to go about it the same way so I'm not thinking ahead of myself when I say, bring it on...

As for whether you made the right decision or not, ask yourself this...has what you've given up activity wise and what you've dealt with pain wise been fun? If so, don't get it...if not and you want a better life...get it done, set a goal and achieve it...just look at blue2000...how awesome is she? That's what I'm looking towards as well. My goal is a vacation, geting in shape and returning back to work ASAP.

Stilljustagril...can you give any info on your story? Thanks

Old 08-06-2003, 06:07 AM   #25
    shg

shg HB User
    SharonJ

Welcome...I'm glad my post helped you to login. As you can see, my goal was to set something up where we can be positive and not deal with any real negatives unless we have too. Keep a positive mindset and all will work out well. Know that I'm not far behind you with my surgery date. Where are you getting yours done? I'm in NYC but I have family near you so I know tha area. As far as your question of "360 degree..." yes, a posterior and anterior approach is in fact a 360 degree operation. According to my doctor and all the others I've met with, they say that there is a better outcome this way in certain patients and in my case, I'm one of them and I'm sure you are too. Have they said what they're going to put in? Lucky for you your a one level fusion...I'm beginning to think though that one level, 2 level...to me, it's a huge operation either way and we all have to go about it the same way so I'm not thinking ahead of myself when I say, bring it on...

As for whether you made the right decision or not, ask yourself this...has what you've given up activity wise and what you've dealt with pain wise been fun? If so, don't get it...if not and you want a better life...get it done, set a goal and achieve it...just look at blue2000...how awesome is she? That's what I'm looking towards as well. My goal is a vacation, geting in shape and returning back to work ASAP.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:08 AM   #26
    shg

shg HB User
    SharonJ

Old 08-06-2003, 06:41 AM   #27
    SharonJ

SharonJ HB User
    SHG...thank you for the welcome and the encouragement. My goals are the same as yours...restore my life. The weekend after I scheduled the surgery I had a real eye-opener. We had a carnival in my town...rides, games, the works. My mom and I took my eight year old and my 21 month old (it was the baby's first carnival) while hubby was at work. After 30 minutes, I was miserable. AT 60 minutes, I simply couldn't keep walking and we had to go home. I could not even enjoy the experience of the baby's first rides and cotton candy. I had left the house all excited and happy, I came home all miserable and angry and in tears. It really hit home at that point. I need to get fixed, as my husband puts it...not just for myself, but for the whole family. I'm still very frightened but, I know it is something I must do. I once heard someone say that, the bravest person isn't someone that's not scared...its the person who does what they must in spite of being scared. I had all 3 of my kids without a single drop of any medication and I figure, if I can do that, I can do anything! I just want to get it over with now, and hate to have to wait 4 weeks!

------------------
    Each and everyday you have the opportunity to Choose Your Attitude. Choose wisely.
    With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
    360 degree L5/S1 fusion on September 8th with 6 screws and 2 rods. My pain is 99.9% gone...this is the best thing I've ever done!
    DDD and bone spurs T11-S1
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6. Told that my C-spine will not be helped by surgery.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #28
    shg

shg HB User
    SharonJ,

Great attitude and you answered it all yourself. Now, instead of counting down the next four weeks in fear or being overly anxious, why not set a plan of attack for when you're done! Get things in order, prepare your recovery journal, set those goals, get the kids involved now to prepare them to help, etc...use this time to get ready that way when the 9th comes, you go to sleep and wake up a happier woman on her way to complete wellness

Old 08-06-2003, 10:50 AM   #29
    eliseanne
    Inactive

eliseanne HB User
    Dear SHG:

I haven't posted in awhile, but have been with the boards for a while now. On April 14 2003, I had a 3 level fusion. I am 46 years young, was very athletic before the back thing, don't smoke, not overweight etc. I had a 360 fusion with cadaver bone. Was in the hospital for 6 days (they did the surgery 2 diff. days) First surg. was on Mon. and the 2nd was on the Wed. I went home Sat morn. I was horrible for the first 3 weeks. I am going back to work Sept 1st. I probably could have gone back sooner (I wanted to, Hubby said NO) and I am considered a success! I have started PT and do have some rough days. I was in excellent shape before all of this and will be again, it's just difficult being patient with yourself when your so used to having control over your body. Give yourself some time to recover (you will need it in the long run) and you will find that your better off later on.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #30
    shg

shg HB User
    Dear Eliseanne,

First I want to say, great name...I know an Elise and I have to say, it's a great name...oh, and now I know 2 of them. Second, I appreciate your coming back to the site to let us know about your progress and great news.

I've heard of people having the surgeries on two different days and I wonder why that is...as for me, I'm having it all on one day (I think most who have logged in here are too). It's great to hear how you're a success so far and that your recovery, while slow in the beginning (like most of those here) has done nothing but get better. What levels did you have fused?

I think we're starting to see something here which makes sense...those who WANT to get better and resume a normal life, are willing to work hard before their operation, in immediate recovery and are dedicated to healing and getting themselves up and going are fairing well. Mental happiness, physical determination and support are all components to a degree of success. It seems as if those who complain, are negative to begin with and when it came to this operation in the beginning, I too was one of them and was to the point where I canceled my first date on July 1st HOWEVER, as of NOW, knowing I need it, wanting it to be done with, having talked to people on both sides (good and bad) and hearing from people like you, I'm all set. You and the others here have given me faith in my decision at 30 to do this and I can only hope that the others facing a fusion can benefit from this versus what I origionally thought was the norm...bad news...it's NOT ALWAYS THE CASE...

Thank you

Closed Thread